Author Topic: Just heard that Jimboomba campers have gone bust  (Read 173007 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Just heard that Jimboomba campers have gone bust
« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
I think I mentioned this earlier but it is simple.  The govt has a certain amount of taxpayers money to spend on investigations.  They allocate according to the Fraud Control Guidelines (or its recent replacement).  Go and read it.

Its easy to slag them off from the cheap seats but I ask you this, how much would you like to increase you taxes by to employ investigators to investigate every single complaint to ASIC (or any of the other organisations).  Each extra investigator would be at least $100k per fte. 
Well I'm not slagging them off from the cheap seats but silly me, I was under the apparently misguided idea that ASIC was there to UPHOLD CORPORATE LAW and to prosecute the wrong doers you know, that silly old fashioned idea of protecting joe public from shonky business practices.If they are not going to do the job properly get rid of ASIC entirely, at least then joe public will know exactly where he stands and not be lured into a false sense of security and that would save the taxpayers money I'll bet London to a brick, that if one of ASIC's top people had got stung Jimboomba's directors would be hanging by the short and curlies by now, so please don't come out spouting about "fraud control guidelines". ASIC is PAID by the all the TAXPAYERS but only some of them, apparently,are being protected.
End of rant.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:27:54 PM by xcvator »
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #401 on: December 15, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »
Firstly I wasnt quoting you so settle.

I am pointing out THE FACTS of how the government allocate investigations.

Do you really think Joe Taxpayer could possibly fund enough investigators to cover EVERY crime. 

If so, heres your chance to explain how. 

Away you go........

EDIT

Just to help you out here with your calculations, as a fraud investigator my fte costs were around $100k.  I managed to investigate on average five serious fraud related crimes per year, about 15 average crimes and around 30 other matters.  I would also manage around 10 or so matters before court.  This was about average for an investigator.  In my section there were five investigators.  There is half a million just in FTE. 

The average taxpayer pays around $25k in tax. 

Hope that helps a bit with your calcs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:39:33 PM by dazzler »
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #402 on: December 15, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »

I am pointing out THE FACTS of how the government allocate investigations.
As I said either ASIC does the job properly or get rid of ASIC, why pay a watch dog that only has 1 tooth.

Do you really think Joe Taxpayer could possibly fund enough investigators to cover EVERY crime. 
If there was a zero tolerance policy adopted, and  decent penalties handed out, yes, the taxpayer could afford it. It would be almost self funded and hopefully over time these sorts of "crime" wouldn't be worth the risk and we would see big decline in this behaviour .

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline t303

• Swag User
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »
I think I mentioned this earlier but it is simple.  The govt has a certain amount of taxpayers money to spend on investigations.  They allocate according to the Fraud Control Guidelines (or its recent replacement).  Go and read it.

Its easy to slag them off from the cheap seats but I ask you this, how much would you like to increase you taxes by to employ investigators to investigate every single complaint to ASIC (or any of the other organisations).  Each extra investigator would be at least $100k per fte.

Sorry Dazzler, but that one doesn't fly.  In most cases the administrator has already done all the hard work and found all of the skeletons (and, incidentally, siphoned off all the remaining cash in the process; so it really doesn't cost the govt a dime).  The administrator can hand ASIC the files, which should allow even Inspector Clouseau to close the case.  I would be happy if these organizations would simply do the job they are legally required to.  In my case the company failed to provide a yearly return and ASIC let it roll on for most of another year; who knows how long they would have gone on without intervention if they hadn't gone totally bust! 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »
As I said either ASIC does the job properly or get rid of ASIC, why pay a watch dog that only has 1 tooth.
**** theres more toothless wastes of time that are there to make the plebs "Feel safe" in the Gov than sand on the beach
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ranger-jules

• Swag User
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2012, 07:29:55 AM »
To Take people's money and orders while they were in trouble is just typical of greed. I mean taking orders and promising people they would fulfil them is theft! I am surprised they cannot be charged with theft!  If you go out and take something that is not yours, you would be charged with theft! How is this any different?

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Just heard that Jimboomba campers have gone bust
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
To Take people's money and orders while they were in trouble is just typical of greed. I mean taking orders and promising people they would fulfil them is theft! I am surprised they cannot be charged with theft!  If you go out and take something that is not yours, you would be charged with theft! How is this any different?

Because many times the added cash flow gets a business back out of trouble.

It's not theft it's deception that many businesses use to no I'll effect to customers but unfortunately when it crashes down it does it big time and effects a lot of unknowing customers

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Just heard that Jimboomba campers have gone bust
« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
Just to clear this up a bit. I don't agree with the system that the govt uses but understand the hr issues.

Handing over a file, or a referral to prosecute, doesn't mean scanning it into a computer and pushing enter - game over off to court. If you intend to prosecute then you need to prepare a brief of evidence that covers the proofs for every part of the offence. Every transaction needs to be accounted for and linked to the offence and you need to cover every possible defence.

Here is an example. I was handed a referral from The ato for a 1.2 million tax fraud. That is routine referral nothing big. The tax office already had a prima facile case we just had to put it together with witnesses and search warrants on compliant organisations.

This took over three months to get to brief prep alone and then another three years of court before he was sent to gaol and assets confiscated under poca released.

That is ONE case. As one of the sen investigators I sat on the panel that accepted or rejected referrals based on the govt's system. Now even if we could have done as we liked, and accepted every one who reported a matter to us, how could we manage it?  That one matter used up about six hours each day.

So I sincerely apologise if anyone is upset by me standing up for ASIC. I know a few investigators there and they do their best. They are not dumb, stupid, lazy or corrupt.  They do their work according to the rules the govt set. Slag off the govt by all means if you think they can provide more investigators to do more investigations. The reality is there are not that many good investigators out there. Fraud is not issuing speeding tickets ;) :)

Cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
. Slag off the govt by all means if you think they can provide more investigators to do more investigations.

Cheers
That's exactly what I was doing  8)

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline t303

• Swag User
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
Maybe trading insolvent should be made an offense of strict liability.  We have probably got it barse ackwards.  Over in the middle east (can't remember whether it is  Dubai or Abu Dhabi) they arrest first then start the proceedings.  That might work pour encourager les autres   >:D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:53:29 PM by t303 »

Offline t303

• Swag User
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Because many times the added cash flow gets a business back out of trouble.

It's not theft it's deception that many businesses use to no I'll effect to customers but unfortunately when it crashes down it does it big time and effects a lot of unknowing customers

Many years ago the ever so clever accountants and beancounters realized they could improve their cash situation if they put their debtors on seven day invoices and paid their debts after 90days (or 10% down and the rest by summons).  The cash roundabout stalls and everyone suffers.  The govt is pretty good at slow paying too.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
Quote from: t303
Many years ago the ever so clever accountants and beancounters realized they could improve their cash situation if they put their debtors on seven day invoices and paid their debts after 90days (or 10% down and the rest by summons). 
our place does that - even if terms for the other company are 30 days... we are constantly on hold when ordering stuff. but if someone is 1 day late, to the collection agency
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ranger-jules

• Swag User
« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
JUst hope that Terry and Sue Willis feel some guilt this Christmas knowing what they have done. They have left so many people mistrusting of local business. They have also made those people feel betrayed and cheated by the theft of their money and hopes.
I know you should let go of all the negativity from this, but sometimes it is hard when you think about what could and should have been!
Still waiting to hear if there is any chance of some people getting something out of it all. I especially feel for Rob the previous owner, what a gut wrenching thing to happen to something you put your heart and soul into over years of hard work.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #413 on: December 20, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
Quote from: ranger-jules
JUst hope that Terry and Sue Willis feel some guilt this Christmas knowing what they have done.
Still waiting to hear if there is any chance of some people getting something out of it all.
Dude, get over it,. Your not getting a brass razoo... Not **** all.. The money is GONE.. BYE BYE... The tax office arent going to be all lovey dovey and share with you. Neither are the business' that are owed money.

Your only stressing yourself out *hoping* theres a god and your getting money back.  There aint a god..

And Terry and Sue will be crying over their Martini's and xmas gifts worrying about all the people they been ****ing over... someone said trading insolvent since March or similar?

I suggest if you really cannot see the money is gone and your not getting spit, which has been mentioned several times from people who are also suffering in this whole gig that the money so GONE BYE BYES then you need to see councilling..  We can arrange a hour with Speewa if you need... Others have moved on on this forum and others..

It may seem harsh, but someone has to say it.

YMMV
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:18:57 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

nbd73

« Reply #414 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »

I suggest if you really cannot see the money is gone and your not getting spit, which has been mentioned several times from people who are also suffering in this whole gig that the money so GONE BYE BYES then you need to see councilling..  We can arrange a hour with Speewa if you need... Others have moved on on this forum and others..

It may seem harsh, but someone has to say it.

YMMV
Here here! And Amen. There seems little to add to this thread other than what has been said a couple of dozen times over. Unless there is some fresh news or developments on people's trailers it might be time for a moderator to close this . I have read it with interest, but really everything has been said or discussed - nothing new or insightful left to add.

Offline Kalebjarrod

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2012, 05:23:47 AM »
i run a small business, i know that most of the time when a customer goes broke and owes me $5,000 - $10,000 they normally owe the tax man $200,000 - $500,000, they normally owe there staff in holiday pay and super $100,000 - $300,000

taxman first, staff second, the rest of us last

if i want my money it would cost me $25,000 in legal fees to get back $5,000 in four years time if theres any left

i just drop it, move on and never forget, i will find them one day
HILUX D4D + LIFESTYLE WALKTHROUGH

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #416 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »

if i want my money it would cost me $25,000 in legal fees to get back $5,000 in four years time if theres any left

i just drop it, move on and never forget, i will find them one day

As the old saying goes, "Walk quietly and carry a big stick."
SOMEONE will catch up with them eventually, but with so many looking for them it would be difficult to sheet the blame home to any individual...    ;D   >:D   :police:
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
I wonder how fast Kimberley had this page up ;)
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/deposits-and-fair-trading-laws
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #418 on: December 28, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
I could be wrong but I think they're having a crack at Ultimate who have the 30/30/40 payment thing.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
I could be wrong but I think they're having a crack at Ultimate who have the 30/30/40 payment thing.
i thought this was the give away
One of the dissapointing aspects of the caravan and camper trailer industry is when you hear of a customer losing their deposit after a manufacturer cannot deliver a product
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
Maybe they're having a crack all camper builders.

This is the Ulti bit

There are also examples of manufacturers withholding refunds from customers when they are unable to meet a general production date with a new product. This is difficult for customers.

Kimberley NEVER asks Customers to pay 30% then a further 30% weeks before production is finished.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

Kimberley NEVER asks Customers to pay 30% then a further 30% weeks before production is finished. [/i]

Hmmm, well maybe that is 'Kimberley' - 18mths ago when we updated we did the three part payment BEFORE delivery to the dealer.....but we did get out Kamper.

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #423 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »
Interesting comments

I was speaking with Terry's boss just before Xmas, who reckons Terry is devastated about what has happened and noted he has lost everything including his house and his car.  According to his boss Terry wants to pay everyone back and with his current job and yearly income which is double mine, it is quite conceivable that he could make amends and pay everyone back. 

However, according to his boss the Govt will only allow him to earn a median income (I don't think it is right to give the exact amount out) and they take the rest, until they have what they are owed..?

I can see that in desperate times these business people think the additional cash flow (from deposits and progress payments) will help keep the creditors away and keep the business going, however in reality it never does as all they are doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul.  A local joiner went under just before Xmas yet he still took a deposit on a $30K kitchen the day before he went under.  He owed the taxation dept. $950K plus a large amount of outstanding super to the employees.

What gets up my nose is when an Employer goes bankrupted or into liquidation the Govt and Banks always get their money 1st and will always survive through increased taxes or interest rates.   It’s the employees who turn up everyday in good faith to do a job as best they can and are the core of the business (any business) who loose out.  They loose their jobs and all entitlements including any unpaid wages, holiday pay, long service leave and outstanding super which they can never recover from.

Who protects the employees?

Disclaimer -: I do not know Terry and have no association  with Terry, his family or Jimboomba Campers and until the other night I did not know Terry's boss.

Wartim

Tassie devils

« Reply #424 on: December 28, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Hung drawn and quartered