Author Topic: What people throw to the tip!  (Read 21676 times)

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
What people throw to the tip!
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
Found on a Buy Swap and Sell facebook page a 12 foot rod, and 2 alvery reels for the sum total of $50.  Start telling the old man about them and what a great bargain it was, and he brings us this, which he found out the tip!!!  Alvery reel works perfect, and a 15 foot Daiwa rod in perfect nick, even still has fishing line on the reel!  Now just to get the kids a beach rod/reel each and were all set for fishing!
Amazing what some people throw away!
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: What people throw to the tip!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

Nice pickup.  We can't scavenge here any longer ... we have an overpriced "store" where they scavenge and we pay them almost new prices for things if we are desperate.

The tip is where I got my Primus 2 burner gas stove and original bottle about 20 years ago.  Each to their own ... one's mans trash ... We have a kerbside collection where people throw the most useful things that could go to Charity ... they also throw out stuff that's useless ... alot of blokes with trailers collect any metal on the piles before the council gets there.  I threw out about 30 bottles of wine (I don't drink it and the boss gave us 5 bottles each year for Xmas) and it was gone before I even got the rest of my stuff out there ... I had no idea how to store it (was in the garden shed okay?).

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »
I threw out about 30 bottles of wine (I don't drink it and the boss gave us 5 bottles each year for Xmas) and it was gone before I even got the rest of my stuff out there ... I had no idea how to store it (was in the garden shed okay?).

Kit_e
[/quote]

Kit_e, that was very irresponsible. I'm sure that there are fellow swaggers on here that are highly experienced in the disposal of unwanted wine;)
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Here's a quick lesson for ya Kit, if it's a rough red, add lemonade and ice, if it's a rough white, add triple sec and OJ for a mimosa :D  With those tips, you can drink bats piss that's been strained through a footballers jock strap.
We were in Dubbo a couple of months ago when they had the council pick up, man there was so good stuff, if only we'd had a trailer lol  Vic collects scrap metal so he was seeing $$ signs everywhere lol
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »

Nice pickup.  We can't scavenge here any longer ... we have an overpriced "store" where they scavenge and we pay them almost new prices for things if we are desperate.

Same where we are.  The "recycling store" that set up next to our local tip use to be a good place to pick up odds and ends cheap.  Not sure whether they have had a change of management or something, but the last couple of times I've been there their prices are ludicrous for stuff that was destined for the bin and has an unknown history.  As I said to the guy behind the counter, I'm all for recycling but why would I buy second hand when I can pay a few bucks more and buy it new with a warranty?   

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Same where we are.  The "recycling store" that set up next to our local tip use to be a good place to pick up odds and ends cheap.  Not sure whether they have had a change of management or something, but the last couple of times I've been there their prices are ludicrous for stuff that was destined for the bin and has an unknown history.  As I said to the guy behind the counter, I'm all for recycling but why would I buy second hand when I can pay a few bucks more and buy it new with a warranty?   
x2

Can't pick up anything,I was having a poke around one day after dumping some 'rubbish' I had a guy come running from the office yelling,waving arms at me,another guy came driving his front end loader at us,also telling us we can't take anything. I thought initially it was maybe an insurance problem in case somebody got hurt,nope, seems there might be a possibility that you could drive out with more than you took in,therefore no excess charges for them,despite the fact your helping with the landfill issue
Our rates huge gibe up stupidly amount,as well as a extra charge ffr waste management, don't even mention the the tipshop that is doubly stupidly expensive.
I'm all for recycling, but the tip is like a Gestapo run town.
no chance I'd a pick up of anything from our tip........
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
Kit_e, that was very irresponsible. I'm sure that there are fellow swaggers on here that are highly experienced in the disposal of unwanted wine;)

Yeah, sorry about that.  I wasn't a Swagger back then.  The wine was from a NZ maker ... the boss's wife's company.  I don't think many of the employees actually drank it.  We always got a white, a red, and a pink wine each year ... not sure what they others were.

I'll remember you if they ever do it again!  One year I got an esky and cooler bottle.   ;D  Much more practical for camping in a TENT!  LOL!  I did use it before we got the EvaKool though ... Last year I got a $50 Coles voucher and promptly bought provisions for the weekend camping ... a Roast and some vegies.

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
x2

Can't pick up anything............ the tip is like a Gestapo run town.
no chance I'd a pick up of anything from our tip........

The reason is commercial firms tip stuff on the condition it is destroyed and totally unuseable in its original form which means it can be recycled but definitely not sold on or even given away. This includes all your personal mail, bills, old credit cards, personal files, etc, etc.

When you think about what you want personally treated strictly like rubbish, so do commercial enterprises. The tips know that's there implicit contractual obligation with the public and it's why they panic somewhat when they see you sorting through someone elses rubbish. It aint yours so don't try and steal it which is actually what you're doing, although you mightn't realise it at the time.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline _Gecko_

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
pfft if it is in the tip it is up for anyone to grab it!
One mans trash is another mans......

There are sercure bins for bills and such, i always make sure nothing with any details are readable before they go in the bin.
In hard rubbish here we got 2 full sets of cast iron cook ware.
(Will add photos later)
Man they looked bad when i got them but a good go over with a wire wheel on the grinder and a few seasons they are good as new.
Gecko
*XF Panelvan, Home Built Trailer, a Tent and my Girl. Living on the road since Feb 2013. So far we have driven Tas/Vic/Nsw, done over 10 000km's and counting.

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
Prodigy

It was just the metal pile. Push bikes,brand new fencing /corrugated tin, chairs etc.

My wife picked up a decorative candle holder, looked almost brand new, perfect condition, that was on the back of the Ute,so we managed to get away with it.
You make me feel like a criminal as it came back to a good home,rather than landfill
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »
Oh I see. It's on my property and you decide it's just rubbish and so it's yours eh? That's very nice of you to decide that and take it without asking my permission to do so.

Try googling 'theft by finding' and you might bring yourselves up to pace with certain common sense legal protections that are put in place for all our benefit.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Oh dear.....
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
The reason is commercial firms tip stuff on the condition it is destroyed and totally unuseable in its original form which means it can be recycled but definitely not sold on or even given away. This includes all your personal mail, bills, old credit cards, personal files, etc, etc.

Ummm have you heard of a shredder? All my personal mails/bills/credit cards etc. leaves the house as confetti...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
You'll also find that ignorance of the Law is no excuse as in- Sorry officer I didn't know this backstreet was a 50km/hr speed zone or the missus hadn't renewed the rego like she said she would last week.

Now with stealing from the tip you might plead mitigating circumstances with 'mens rea' but unfortunately the Judge is going to explain 'actus reus' to you in sentencing. Look it up. But I've just been in the building game and when you invite me into your home, office or commercial premises to do work for you, I do not take anything away from your premises that doesn't belong to me. If any of my workers or subbies do they're instantly sacked but then I'm obviously a hard, old bastard rather than a nice warm, fuzzy, softy like some are apparently. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:14:49 PM by prodigyrf »

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »
Got a cheapo shredder for our docs. Don't care if it is our property, the garbage tips property or free to anyone.

If the item is in your garbage bin at the front of the house before it is collected. Who's property is it? You have shown your intent to toss the garbage. Not wanted. Not in transit to or in the hands of the tip.

Maybe we need a locked garbage bin and wait for the garbo to come around.
If it is that important, organise a secure garbage collection. They don't cost much :-)
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
It's an interesting query you raise Estelle but we should all be aware that in the absence of a note on the bin saying help yourself, give away or something similar, then technically it belongs to the Council via their contract with the rubbish removalist and they in turn may then own it. Now for the vast majority of us we don't care if some pensioner takes the deposit (well at least in SA) cans and bottles out of the recycle bin and we certainly are not going to back Council or the RR in any dispute over ownership. The ownership dispute issue simply doesn't arise.

However you'd want to be much more circumspect about helping yourself to deposit containers out of the clearly labelled receptacles at your local footy club and the like. You may simply get ticked off by a club member during the game but face charges if you come back for some after hours. We're talking adults here so I work on the rule, it aint mine I don't 'purloin' it.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
Geez, you must a be hoot at parties.... PMSL  :D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
I would suspect that 99.9% of people would be happy for someone to help themselves to the garbage in their bin as it awaits council collection (as long as they don't make a mess). Unlikely to want it to belong to council.
Maybe those wanting only council collectors to handle their garbage could put a label on the bin to tell others to keep pinkies out of the bin. Would be easier and fewer notes. Probably how the Law would be interpreted as well.
It is a service we pay for after all.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
I'm with you on that one Jeepers

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »

I reckon if it's been given up to the garbage contractor, then no-one wants it WHY NOT RECYCLE INSTEAD OF LANDFILLING?  I mean, if we can't recover / recycle / re-use / something in this day and age, then what is the point of even bothering?  We say that we are "doing it for the environment" but burying it is not the answer. 

And in all reality, if the product is under $100 then it's not worth "chasing" someone through the courts.  EG: a ten dollar candelabra.

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
Well we did have our moments POSL with the different types you run into over the years, in our case largely the upmarket, filtered coffee and Tim Tam set. Are you the client who happily tosses us the keys to the joint to get on with it while you go to work or do you have to be there holding our hand every step of the way and keeping an eye on the silverware? Or like the job where the 'man' of the house had to gingerly ask if the trades would mind popping down the local servo for ablutions because his missus is a bit thingy about strangers using their dunny. Small verandah job so we hadn't budgeted for an onsite toilet like you do with renos or serious builds and it had never been an issue before. Sooner or later you get em.

Before I get into 'The pet block of wood' I should relate my business partner's experience with one tradey he used to replace the foil ducting in his own home. Now L had noticed the ducted evaporative aircond was not keeping up and climbing up in the roof noticed gaping holes in the foil ducting and put two and two together because the suburb was around 20yrs old and he'd seen an HVAC tradey up and down the local streets for weeks and clearly the ducting was failing all over at the same time. Bailed him up and arranged for new ducting a few days later. Now L had done some running repairs and knew he'd left a measuring tape and pliers up in the roof and exactly where he'd left them. Job finished, inspected and paid for and then he remembered to go up and grab the tape and pliers only they were not there anymore. As old tradeys we know that every tradey knows exactly what are his tools and what aren't and L immediately knew something important about that particular tradey.

Well customer S was a super fastidious type when we'd arranged a custom shed for his backyard so I put my best tradey A on it. Nevertheless S would just have to ring to tell me that A had dropped a tek screw or a pop rivet nail, even though I knew A would do the ant parade when the job was finished. All done and S was happy and paid A by cheque on the day only to ring me up in deadly earnest the next day to tell me his pet block of wood had gone missing. Me explaining A was our most trusted erector and he'd be mortified by this as he was true Christian bloke which he was. Before S could finish saying he wasn't that worried but just wanted to let me know, I'd said leave it me S I'll get to the bottom of it right away and hanging up. The rub was S had a pet block of wood he used as a marker in his carport to know where to stop his car and God forbid it had gone missing and you know how it is folks.

I ring A for a laugh and at first he's puzzled and then looking in his trailer he says yeah I reckon this is it and it's got mixed up when I dumped my timber packers out of the trailer to unload in the carport. So A is going past the clients home next day and true to his word he knocks on S's door as he's retired and asks exactly where he can put it back in it's rightful place after such a terrible mixup. We're all pissing ouselves and S even rings me back to apologise for casting aspersions on such fine tradesmen and he didn't mean to create any fuss, yada, yada. Don't laugh because we pulled a few more jobs out of that as they'd say- S recommended you and if S was singing your praises you must be good. We do have nicknames for some of them you know.

Offline DaveCQ

• Tent User
  • Dave
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »

;D
Well done.
Toyota D4D Prado 150
Trackabout Dakar Extenda -Sold
AOR Quantum Plus on order.

Offline Boxhead 71

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Listen, CALM DOWN!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »
Strong as an ox, smart as a tractor!
I love to wake up to the sound of a Jake brake and the smell of chainsaws in the morning.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
Had cause to relate those anecdotes to the lad nearly out of his time as an apprentice sparky and he was telling me about the first electronic whiteboards they were installing in schools and a couple of days later I noticed he had a pen with the private school's name on it. Well the other tradeys took them excuses he. Heart to heart ensues about how you're not an honest man just because noone is looking when you pick up something that's not yours. Also if you accidently damage something on the job fess up and sort it promptly. He knows the rules well and doesn't have to advertise out on his own now with an apprentice in tow.

It came up again when he spotted this story and- Wow, how good would that be dad?
http://www.news.com.au/world-old/stupidest-idiot-in-the-world-sells-safe-containing-26000-on-ebay-for-12293/story-e6frfkyi-1226273442770
Hmmm...that all depends how you handle it and the appropriate outcome I respond, looking at him expectantly and he knows instantly here it comes again.

So you paid for the safe and opened it up and discovered the $26k in it so what would you do son and why?
Anyone care to help him out because he didn't really know until I told him exactly how I'd handle it.
Test out your true parenting skills on that one Swaggers although you could easily stay quiet about it and noone would be any the wiser most likely.

Offline Boxhead 71

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Listen, CALM DOWN!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:30 AM »
A safe with $26 K accidently left in it is hardly the same as a $10 candelabra deliberately thrown out.
Strong as an ox, smart as a tractor!
I love to wake up to the sound of a Jake brake and the smell of chainsaws in the morning.