Author Topic: Dual cab - three options, convince me otherwise  (Read 20017 times)

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Dual cab - three options, convince me otherwise
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Righto people, just handed back the hilux and chucked in my job to go out on my own. New start business so borrowing for a new work truck so total $$'s is a factor. Options are all the usual but some willing to deal more than others. choice lies with-
Mitsubishi triton- glxr auto with hard tonneau $46 drive away, older technology, best warranty, prob worst resale, ugly!
Mazda bt50 - xtr auto with hard tonneau $52 drive away, awesome engine and 6 speed auto, sat nav, hill descent, rear diff lock, getting serviced at Mazda is a mission and worried about warranty issues if service at non Mazda, more $.
Holden Colorado -ltz auto with hart tonneau $50 drive away, neW engine, 15k service interval, 6 speed auto.
Leaning toward bt50 due to I think resale will be better, good engine, hill descent, sat nav etc. anyone got any experience good or bad..? I'm gonna pull the trigger this weekend!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Dual cab - three options, convince me otherwise
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Isuzu D-max?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline red t ute

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
The new Landcruiser dual cab is out next
They will be the strongest dual cab ever sold in Aus and the resale.
But no good if you want an auto I won't buy one till Toyota work out its the only transmission to have.

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
Isuzu D-max?
Not much diff to the old model that I could buy for 8k less last year.

Offline red t ute

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
Not much diff to the old model that I could buy for 8k less last year.
The only thing the same as the old model is the engine and it was a great engine.
Apart from the D Max is an all new ute.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
What about Ford Ranger?
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
Flemo,

Go the Triton:

I have one,
I love her,
She is beautiful,
She has never let me down,
She has the super select transmission and,
I can pat the dog in the back through the back electric window 8) 8)

Seriously mate, go for the one you like the look of, no relationship works if you think she looks a bit crook :cheers:

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
Mate of mine has the triton and the servicing and rust have been the worst issues.
My hilux is good but Shithouse turning circle. Big ute though with plenty of room and grunt.
Like the Ford but resale is sh!thouse.

How long are you planing on keeping it?

Cheers Nomad

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Ford and toyota won't do a deal at all, coffs, ballina and gold coast all won't budge. Salesman a bit arrogant at all of them! I don't get ranger pricing compared to bt50 at all, ford have their heads in the clouds

Offline Polyphonic

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Not sure if the engine and gearbox is different in the new bt50, friend has the old shape and in 50k on the clock it has had 2 new clutches and a new gearbox, doesn't tow anything and no offroad work. Might just be a lemon and may be a new driveline in the new one. Mazda has replaced everything with no issues but being without your car constantly is a PITA.

We have a Hilux SR5, Trtion glx and a Amarok Trendline at work, only done on road driving in them. If money wasn't a problem I would buy the Amarock but if I was shopping for myself I would buy the Triton and spend the savings on mods. My 2 cents
Currently searching for the right CT and tug, I love research

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
In the current business climate why not buy someone's second hand older model that will do the job.

Wait till you have done a year or so and see how the P & L looks.

Just a thought.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline gacoxd

• Tent User
  • You wring your hands, I'll roll up my sleeves ...
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
Throwing the mighty Navara into the ring.  I love mine but people seem to have something against them but no one will tell me what.

Anyways. My old man is going through this at the moment and he is down to either the D-Max or the Ranger. He's into caravans if that helps.
2011 Navara STX-550
2011 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
I went through the same decision about 1 year ago.  One of my main decision points was seat comfort and support (because i have a bad back and a lot of seats make it worse).  So for me the Triton was out as i found the seats horrible.  I ended up woth a Hilux.  Although its quite boring it suits me well.  The new model BT50 and Ranger came out a few weeks later.  If i were looking now i would be pretty keen on the BT50.
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
I have a VR DC Triton. My preference list would be:

1. VW Amarok!!!!
2. BT50
3. Everything else.

The Triton is dated. I love mine, but as is always the case it has been leapfrogged by the competition for reasons already said..

I'd trade to an Auto Landcruiser DC ute tomorrow if it existed..

Marschy

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
The Ford Ranger, although designed and engineered for Australian consumption and manufactured in Thailand,, has been very successful in the US. Allocation of vehicles out of the factory greatly favour the US market. For example, the current waiting period once you sign a contract on a Maxtrack is 12 months. I drove one to and from Bowhill a couple of weekends ago and they are a comfortable, very well appointed vehicle. They still command a very good resale value, simply due to demand.

Offline Wodewick

• Sleeping Bag User
  • under The Milky Way.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
Drive the VW before you decide. The ride, comfort and build quality leaves the rest for dead and pricing isn't bad either.
2007 Holden Captiva.  2008 Dove Outback.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
The BT-50 is still winning the comparison tests. The Colorado is not nearly as ugly as the release pictures suggest, and is the newest out.

The D-Max is a good suggestion, and if it won on price that would be a good choice, else get the Mazda.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »
Ford and toyota won't do a deal at all,
This doesn't surprise me. The wife's uncle just bought a D40 Navara. He really, REALLY wanted a Ranger, but the local dealership wouldn't even let him take their demo for a drive. He could sit in it and play with the stereo, but they weren't doing any test drives  - if you wanted to drive one, then you ordered one and drove it when it arrived. Hence, Nissan.

The BT50's get a good rap, and friends of ours have had the older models for a while now and love them. However, you buy it once but service it every few months. If the Mazda servicing is going to be a pain EVERY TIME, then I'd suggest something that'll be easier on you long-term. That said, warranty coverage shouldn't be affected if you get it serviced elsewhere. "*shouldn't*".

The council here has Navaras, Hiluxes and Tritons. The Tritons have very low kms - no one likes them. Apparently the turning circle is the worst of all 3. NB - I've never driven them, this is just from talking to some of the guys in CNS Water. The Navaras get the biggest props for usability and cabin space. Personally, I like the Tritons, and would try to find an earlier model with the smaller tub.

Marschy - I didn't think Ford was selling the new Ranger into the US, for fear of cannibalising F150 sales? I know there was a lot of fuss on places like ExPo when it was released, because those guys were clambering for a smaller bodied turbo-diesel ute. Interesting if they've changed their stance here, and what impact it will have on the similarly-sized F-truck sales.

Depending on price, I'd look at the VW. From there, I'd probably go the BT50 (only if I didn't need to look at it), then the Colorado (on the basis that it's slightly less ugly than the new DMax). As for the new 70-series DC, I'd chop a 100-series before I even considered one of them.

Good luck, both with the new car and the new business!

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
The Ford Ranger, although designed and engineered for Australian consumption and manufactured in Thailand,, has been very successful in the US. Allocation of vehicles out of the factory greatly favour the US market. For example, the current waiting period once you sign a contract on a Maxtrack is 12 months. I drove one to and from Bowhill a couple of weekends ago and they are a comfortable, very well appointed vehicle. They still command a very good resale value, simply due to demand.

I thought Thailand only supplied Australia/Asia?  USA stock comes from Mexico or somewhere?

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
G'day Flemmo,

Regardless of what dealerships tell you, your new vehicle warranty CANNOT be voided by virtue of servicing at a non manufacture dealer.  As long as the vehicle is maintained to manufacturer's specifications, ie. in accordance with the handbook, and you used genuine parts, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc. etc. cannot void or deny a legitimate warranty claim.

That said, a mate had a BT50, older model and loved it. His only gripe was that it was light in the tail if not loaded and prone to slipping out when travelling a winding road like the Kuranda Range.  Another mate has an Amorak with which he's really pleased.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
Best pick on dual cabs is the amarok at the moment.
(Depending on budget/price)

Australians need to get over this fear of a smaller engine. VW reliability nd engineering.  I can see the Amarok being head of its class quite soon, ad market leader in the dual cab competition.

good luck with your self employment, what business/trade are you in?
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Marschy

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
I thought Thailand only supplied Australia/Asia?  USA stock comes from Mexico or somewhere?

Wife sells to fleet customers at Stillwell Ford here in Adelaide. The word she has is that the Ranger is in such demand in the US that Ford US are pilfering from any manufacturing facility worldwide they can to meet the bigger US market demands. The biggest issue is diesel engines, or lack thereof. The 3.2 diesel production is not keeping up with demand.

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »

good luck with your self employment, what business/trade are you in?

Self employed consultant project/contract manager. Got the opportunity to sign a 2.5 year deal to project manage a section of the PAC hwy upgrade. So in short a glorified road builder. Don't get involved with the dirt any more more higher level surveillance of earthworks, drainage, enviro, safety etc.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
Wife sells to fleet customers at Stillwell Ford here in Adelaide. The word she has is that the Ranger is in such demand in the US that Ford US are pilfering from any manufacturing facility worldwide they can to meet the bigger US market demands. The biggest issue is diesel engines, or lack thereof. The 3.2 diesel production is not keeping up with demand.

yep that makes sense

wow - who thought a Land Rover engine could be so popular  ;D

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Marschy

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
yep that makes sense

wow - who thought a Land Rover engine could be so popular  ;D

Volvo actually.