Author Topic: Kayaks...what to buy?  (Read 25112 times)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
Kayaks...what to buy?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
We are about to purchase a couple of kayaks. We don't need anything to fancy as they will only be used in calm waters for a bit of fun. Maybe do a bit of fishing off them.

They only need to be single person, but it would be good to sit the smaller child somewhere on the single person kayak if need be.

We used this type of thing on our last family holiday and with our very limited experience (none) we thought they were great, so unless someone with more experience than us can advise otherwise I think we will get something similar to these, we just don't really know what to look out for when buying kayaks?

Any advice is appreciated.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
Re: Kayaks...what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
My partner will be buying Hobies this summer. These might be a bit expensive for what you are looking for but we love them cos they are very stable but manouverable. And also great resale price compared on "no-name" brands. My partner will buy the peddle style cos, being an old cyclist, it suits him, and I will be buying a paddle type. Hobie are great cos we were able to try before we buy and decide on which model suited us. After a trial paddle/peddle, we both chose different ones to what we thought we originally wanted.

Try and have a paddle before you buy from whoever you are looking at, or at least a return policy if it doesn't suit. Also, I wouldn't buy one without a rudder.

Hope this helps.

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
We got 2 of these from BCF.  Very stable and good for young kids.  Buying an add-on seat is a must.  http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_minix.asp

"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
http://www.emotionkayaks.com/kayaks/mojoangler/

i have one of these, they sell at BCF too. great boot space, stable and i even had my partner in there with me (130ish kgs TOTAL between us i think). Got mine secod hand, so not sure new price. It has no rudder and steers ok.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline Brettmc

• Sleeping Bag User
Kayaks...what to buy?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
I have a cheap kayak made locally (Perth) which started to split along the thin parts of the footwell and also I have a hobie kayak ,both which have been dragged across rocks etc . The build of the hobie is far better and I believe will be around for a lot longer than the local kayak.
Jayco Swan Outback sold waiting on a Expanda
PX Ranger.

Offline Slug

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Capacity sports in Melbourne have a huge range.  I bought my Native Watercraft "Ultimate" from them.  It wasnt a cheap one but they had plenty ranging from budget to full on expedition kayaks.

http://www.capacitysports.com.au/

Online WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
We have one similar in your picture.
I want to buy a Hobie mirage style kayak, but they are so expensive.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »

I asked this same question awhile ago.  Go HERE and have a gander.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
From experience, the primary consideration for the family will be "WEIGHT" - ie; how easy isit to get to the water and from the water to the car.

Have fun, it is a great family activity.
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
Anaconda have some on sale at the moment, a flyer was in the post box today

GG

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
We have 4 kayaks.

2 Perception Flows.

And 2 Jem Watercraft Wadefish

Both are sit on tops (SOTs)

The Flows are great mucking about running down rivers & playing in the surf etc as they are quite stable. They are also fairly short so they are very nimble but if you want to paddle long distances they are hard work. They weigh about 19Kg so are fairly easy to handle but my 17yo daughter still needs a hand to lift hers.

The Wadefish are hand built stitch & glue plywood & fibreglass. I have also fitted a well in them to take a Hobie Mirage Drive. These are my fishing kayaks. They are 4.6m  long and are easy to paddle but even easier to peddle. But without the rudder they are almost impossible to turn. These run out at about 27Kg & I can lift them up onto my roof racks but prefer not to do it by myself.

I got the Flows first but soon found out what they were go for & not, so i then built the Wadefish. So depending on what you want to do there is no right answer but one thing I will say is make sure you have a good seat with a back rest.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:01:53 PM by Pirate_Pete »

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
Kayaks...what to buy?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

We have an Aka kayak. It's fairly cheap for a leisure kayak without being cheap and nasty. It also has a great shaped hull which is what you need to look out for. Some of the cheap ones out there have crap hulls and go through the water like bricks. Check these out, I have the venturer model.
http://www.spiritpaddle.com.au/content.asp?cId=3&pbId=2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prado 120 T/D Grande + 2010 Jayco Eagle Outback Alpha Pack

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
Kayaks...what to buy?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:26:00 PM by rkwpjv »

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
Kayaks...what to buy?
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Sorry, can't get link to attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:22:04 PM by rkwpjv »

Offline Ricklanga

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
I don't think you could go wrong with a viking kayak. They are made in Queensland & have quite a few models to choose from. We have a Viking Profish 45 & Nemo 2plus1 & we are currently on the look out for another Nemo. They are very stable & easy to maneuver. There are plenty other models that might suit you better including a couple of glass bottom models. Check out ebay & tradingpost, you can pick up some good deals on kayaks that have hardly been used.

--
Richard.
2004 Pajero Exceed & 2012 Jayco Eagle Outback

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
I don't think you could go wrong with a viking kayak. They are made in Queensland & have quite a few models to choose from. We have a Viking Profish 45 & Nemo 2plus1 & we are currently on the look out for another Nemo. They are very stable & easy to maneuver. There are plenty other models that might suit you better including a couple of glass bottom models. Check out ebay & tradingpost, you can pick up some good deals on kayaks that have hardly been used.

--
Richard.

x2

or if u want a peddle fishing yak ... have a look at the native watercraft marinner 12..they are put simply one of the best fishing yaks on the market .

craig
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:21:51 PM by craigtempo »

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
All great replies, Thanks very much. Ill check out all the recommendations tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

One thing I need to add though, we live in Tassie and having already checked out the freight to get a Kayak from the mainland down to here it is not financially viable given we will only end up buying kayaks from the lower end of the market. I have already seen some bargains on Ebay but at $270 per kayak to get them here its cheaper to buy new down here.

I should also mention our budget will be $500 per kayak tops I hope.........
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:26:46 AM by DannyG »
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
Ok we now have Kayak bling envy and think our budget is a touch low for what we would like to buy.

It is a hard decision because on one hand we are hesitant to spend a lot of money on something that may not get used a lot, but on the other hand we really enjoyed using them on a recent holiday and Tassie has some perfect spots for Kayaking so I dont want to buy rubbish and regret it later if it becomes a winner.

I can picture us sitting out in a lake or lagoon, sun shining on us, fishing rod loaded with a wattle grub waiting for a big rainbow trout, kayak hatch full of ice, drink in hand loving life.....so its important to make the right decision LOL

We do not have a BCF down here but we have good friends who work at Anaconda and the local Marine place so we are thinking of waiting for a special to come up or keep an eye out on the second hand market.

A local friend on here has already offered one for sale so they are out there.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

KingBilly

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
Danny

We have two RTM kayaks from Anaconda http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Kayaking/Mambo-Kayak  Very happy with them.  Have used them in the surf, on lakes and in rivers.  My 12 year old son manages his with no problems though sometimes he gets a bit tired on a long river paddle and I have to tow him.  We have given them a fair bit of punishment in the rivers, over rocks and logs etc.  Some serious scratches but no holes.  They are well made (in France believe it or not).  When we purchased they were half price at Anaconda and whilst on special they offered free shipping for members.  Bonus.  Get your mate at Anaconda to keep an eye out for special deals.  Too cold for a while to be paddling in Tassie.  Come to think of it, is it ever warm enough to paddle down there?

We also got the seats which are great for long paddles but obviously no good in the surf.

Get some paddle leashes.  They are cheap and the kids wont loose a paddle down stream if they goof off.

They are wide though and we need to put them on their side on the car's roof racks.  No problems on the CT's roof racks.

Have fun
Billy
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »
Hi,
   No2 Son wanted to buy a kayak from Anaconda (near Cambridge Airport) for $900, and wanted me to check it out.
I have plenty of experience with fiberglass kayaks, and have built several touring, white water, and pool bats, and was some what dubious about the plastic one he wanted to look at.
He ended up with a fully featured, fairly serious touring Norwegian made kayak at a bargain price.
Rudder, foot pedals, lines, hatches etc, all well made, and the cockpit is a separate molding so it won't completely flood in a capsize.
I have yet to try it out, but it changed my mind on the plastic boats.
cheers

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
All great replies, Thanks very much. Ill check out all the recommendations tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

One thing I need to add though, we live in Tassie and having already checked out the freight to get a Kayak from the mainland down to here it is not financially viable given we will only end up buying kayaks from the lower end of the market. I have already seen some bargains on Ebay but at $270 per kayak to get them here its cheaper to buy new down here.

Have a look here.

http://www.tassiepaddlers.net/

Im a member & we have all sorts of people & kayaks state wide who are willing to let you try their kayaks if you cant test one from the shops.

I got my Flows from the well known surf shop in Devonport for around $900 so your budget may be a bit low.

Members of Tassie Paddlers get a discount from the Hobie dealer in Launceston but they would be well above your budget & thats why I built my Wadefish. They worked out including $800 each for the drive at a bit over $3000 but they did take my long service leave to build.

Offline Alchemist

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »

If you have a bit of time on your side, keep an eye out in the Gumtree of even consider a wanted Ad in the same. It's amazing to see how many kayaks are offered for sale after having been used only a couple of times.  I've just recently bought a Finn Beachcomber Plus (rrp $1200) for $500 and a Finn Gizmo Fisher (rrp $940) for $450. Both look like they're brand new! All accessories were included except pfd's.

Good luck!

Alchemist

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Thanks every one for the replies we appreciate them. We now have a better understanding of what to buy.

We are keeping a close eye on the second hand market and any super special deals in the local retailers.

There is no hurry yet, its a bit cold atm the be kayaking in Tassie ;)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Online WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
There is no hurry yet, its a bit cold atm the be kayaking in Tassie ;)

Isn't that always the case?
 ;D
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
Isn't that always the case?
 ;D

It gets up to 19 degrees during summer mate...bloody scorchers! And the water temp gets up around 5 degrees what more could you want? :D Soft mainlanders ;)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build