Author Topic: Supercheap Auto Winch  (Read 36070 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Supercheap Auto Winch
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
As for the Warn - you win a prize! I'm amazed that D4D in particular left it go through to the keeper :D.

That's why I didn't need to post anything, you already knew what I would say :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
 :D If you need a hand I'm back next Wednesday.... angle grinders.. alloys bullbars  >:D ... I can help.  Not long ago got practice on mine... mind you I cheated a bit buying a drop in cradle.
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline Crockett

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »

I would guess that you're assuming right - it's just older stock with grey rope instead of orange. This particular winch unit has been sold for a while under various names. About the only thing I'd be concerned abotu with older stock is whether it had an older solenoid pack, but it looks like you're in luck there.

Cheers!
Matto :)

Yep in luck, the one I was looking at had a cracked mounting lug on the solenoid housing, it wasn't through the housing and it still will mount up with the brackets, though I'm going to mount it off the winch anyhow, but as it was classed as damaged and already marked down, I got the same discount off the mark down, so ended up at $389 and they wrote on the receipt that the warranty still applies  ;D ;D
So thanks Matto your absolutely right about putting your money where your mouth is, and when they start selling Gigglepins, for a price that is less than I paid for my 4x4, I might justify one  :cheers:

Offline Crockett

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
  mind you I cheated a bit buying a drop in cradle.
 :cheers: Paul

Has anyone come across a flat mounting plate with the four feet holes and the rope slot cut in it. Preferably with the off set hawse plate holes, but I own a drill if not.
Want to use it as a sandwich plate on my steel bar as it is only 3mm on the front (it appears to be a TJM) and needs straightening where the previous owner "bumped" into something.
Cheer Dave

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
..., but as it was classed as damaged and already marked down, I got the same discount off the mark down, so ended up at $389
that's an absolute bargain. You must be pretty happy.

As for the sandwich plate, just drop round to your local engineering/fab shop, and they'll be able to sort you out. DNC Metal Works here in Cairns made my front recovery points - Duncan took some measurements, sketched out a rough design, and had them water-jet-cut out of 10mm steel. Wasn't expensive, was quick, and worked a treat. That's what I'd do - drilling/cutting 10mm steel is guaranteed to give you a Bad Day if you're not set up to do that sort of work.

:D If you need a hand I'm back next Wednesday.... angle grinders.. alloys bullbars  >:D ... I can help.  Not long ago got practice on mine... mind you I cheated a bit buying a drop in cradle.
Cheater! If you call that cheating, I'm wondering what that makes me, since I have a steel winch bar already fitted, so I can just slot said winch straight in  ;D ;D. Lifting the sucker under there will be the hardest thing. I'm not keen to pull the bar just to fit the winch, but may end up doing that. Thanks for the offer of a hand - maybe I can call both yourself and Bill, then I can just supervise?  ;D >:(

If we camp together I know you will winch me out ......I hope  ;D
Why do you think we try and go to the same places as Teabag?  >:D

That's why I didn't need to post anything, you already knew what I would say :)
And that scares me a little.

Photos coming...

Cheers!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
Winch Re-Grease

My plan for today was to pull the SCA winch apart, replace the factory grease, and clock the gearbox. I've had mixed success.

Grease:

I had two options for grease. Most of my research said that people use the blue Marine grease - the sort people use on outboard motors, or boat trailers. So I bought a tub of that (also from Supercheap!).

Whilst talking to the father-in-law, he mentioned that they used to use Moly grease when packing the wheel-bearings of 4WDs that would see a lot of water work. The Moly grease was meant to be better for keeping the water away, and wouldn't break down if it came into contact with the water. So I bought a tub of that too.

After looking at them both for 20 mins, the Marine grease won out. I like the idea of the Moly grease, and may use it next time. But for now, I went with the marine grease.

The winch came apart very easily.

Gearbox off:

Motor, gearbox and drum:

Disassembled:

Cleaned down:

Couple of observations from the tear-down:
  • There are 10 small hex-head bolts that hold the gearbox onto the "end bracket". These were probably installed at the factory with some sort of power tool. To a fault, each one had the head rounded off inside. I had to carefully align, then gently tap an allen key into the socket on the head with a big hammer. Once done, you could crack the bolts and back them out. Also, once done they were much better next time. But to get any real torque on them, you needed to tap the key into them before tightening, lest you simply round the heads out more.
  • The clutch ring gear is a very precise fit in the gearbox housing. Be very careful as you slide it out - you need to keep it very square or it will jam and you'll have a Bad Time. Take your time, lots of patience, and you'll be fine. NB - the top-most Final Gear isn't as tight a fit - it drops in/out easily. Likewise the plastic spacer.
  • Both gearbox and motor ends appear to have good seals. There's an outer double-lipped seal which was in fantastic condition at each end. Then there's a second internal seal before the actual shaft entry.
  • The motor can only be rotated 180-degrees, not 90-degrees. There's 2 bolts, and two dowels (as mentioned above). Hence, I didn't bother taking the motor off the end bracket. I simply pulled the seals, cleaned it up and greased, and re-fitted the seals.
I removed as much of the factory red grease as I could be bothered with. I understand about different greases not mixing well, but couldn't be bothered with soaking bits in degreaser for three days. So I pretty much did a "best effort" job. That said, there really wasn't much of the red grease left. Worst offenders were the planetary gear assemblies - an old toothbrush helps (or a new one, but make sure it's someone else's), and just lots of paper towels.

I reassembled everything in reverse order, using a lot of the marine grease. No photos of this because my hands were covered in the aforementioned marine grease.

As above, the clutch ring gear needs patience to reassemble. Otherwise, it's just time-consuming aligning the gears as you drop them in. You get better at it pretty quick.

First time, I reassembled with what was probably too much grease. It wasn't packed solid, but there was definitely more in there than factory-supplied. However, upon re-assembling, the gearbox was locked solid. So I disassembled it again (getting more grease everywhere), removed a bit of the new grease, and re-assembled. Same result. After about 3 more disassembly/reassembly cycles, I now have (I believe) a solid understanding of how planetary gear sets work  ;D.

I found that the clutch ring gear wasn't seated correctly - it was probably around half a mm out of square, and had jammed.  Careful "persuasion" with a hammer and a timber drift finally worked it square, and it would rotate relatively easily. I removed it, cleared out a bit of the new grease, and carefully re-installed. Spun even easier this time. Happy days. Reassembled the entire gearbox. Tested it to ensure it freespooled properly (it did), then torqued down the end bracket hex-head bolts.

It's easy to clock the gearbox, but because of the bolt pattern used you can't rotate it exactly 90-degrees. It's either ~70 degrees, or ~100 degrees. Not the end of the world either way.

Got the winch all re-assembled, and then discovered that alas, it won't freespool. So I'm not sure if torquing down the end bracket has knocked the drive shaft out of alignment, or if it's knocked the clutch ring gear out of square, or a million and one other possibilities. I think it's in the gearbox, and I think it's that clutch ring gear.

My plan is to pull the gearbox from the winch again, and try to get it freespooling by hand - that should tell me if it's a shaft alignment issue, or if the clutch ring gear is out of wack again. I may even hook it up to power, and run the winch on freespool for a little while to see if the motor can move the gears, and possibly free it up a tad. With brand-new marine grease in there, I'm expecting it to be a bit tighter than it was. Maybe with a bit of power/heat/movement, the grease will work it's way out of any super tight spots, and things will free up. NB - the freespool lever still shifts in and out perfectly fine.

That's the plan anyway. For now, I'm still cleaning blue grease off a LOT of things/tools/surfaces/body parts.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:20:52 AM by Matto »
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »

Matto

You are know the winch service tech in cairns !!

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
You are know the winch service tech in cairns !!
I take a long time, but at least I do a bad job!

Given that it was working before I pulled it apart, and now isn't, I don't think I'll be getting many customers...

Cheers!

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
Supercheap Auto Winch
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
Matto thank you I was going to do the same with my tigerz11 winch
I think I might not now as mine works lol

Kidding I am sure you will get it back together

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »
Matto thank you I was going to do the same with my tigerz11 winch
I think I might not now as mine works lol

Kidding I am sure you will get it back together
At least you know what NOT to do!

It's a messy job, to be sure, but there's nothing difficult about it. I was expecting to run into problems with the free-spool - I expected the locking pin to be spring-loaded and fly out as soon as I'd removed the clutch ring gear. It's all captive though, so basically idiot-proof (yet I still managed to stuff it up - what's that tell you??).

I'm sure I can get it working - I suspect it may just need to be powered up and run for a little while to sort out the grease. I might pull it back apart tonight and work it by hand again - it was working, so there can't be much wrong with it.

Another whole roll of paper towels down the drain, I reckon...

Cheers!

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
Matto, great write up. I've got a Tigerz11 12000lb myself, and it's due to be opened and greased up.

I was in China last week, at the Canton Fair. I saw most of the winches we get here on display from their original manufacturers. I too was thinking I should have bought a Warn, but for what I use it for, and for the weight saving I am happy. I happened to meet the bloke who supplied all the winches to a major three letter brand. He has been sourcing from China for a long time and insists they're not as crappy as some might have us believe.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Crockett

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I was in China last week, at the Canton Fair. I saw most of the winches we get here on display from their original manufacturers. I too was thinking I should have bought a Warn, but for what I use it for, and for the weight saving I am happy. I happened to meet the bloke who supplied all the winches to a major three letter brand. He has been sourcing from China for a long time and insists they're not as crappy as some might have us believe.

Happy birthday BigJules by the way, so reading between the gaps in the latter part of the last sentence, we the buyers of "inferior thought of winches" are probably not that under gunned in the "I may have to reel it out in anger" a couple of times a year, group.
I know exactly what I got mine for,,,, I go out a lot on my own, and have managed, very luckily sometimes, to only Just, get myself out of the noooah. And not in any way where maxtax could help ( I don't have them yet). So my inferior bargain winch is great piece of mind to me,,,,, once I get it mounted .

Great Thread Topic Matto, ill be stripping mine down now before I mount it, to grease it up and clock both the gearbox and motor, so as to hopefully never use it  8)

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Update:

The winch is now bolted into the bar. Fits perfectly. I need to get some longer bolts to mount the fairlead, so will sort that tomorrow.

Have wired it in temporarily, and it works perfectly. Once I've got the fairlead on I'll spool the rope back on. I will need to rewire the control box though - the cables from the control box to the winch are just far too short. So will need to sort that quickly. Atm, everything's just cable-tied in place (inc the control box itself).

Will need to source some sort of huge fuse or CB, as I'm not too keen to have that huge cable unprotected. Not sure what people do in this instance.

Th old battery terminals are starting to get VERY busy. :)

Photos tomorrow. Well pleased with the progress so far.

Cheers!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Will need to source some sort of huge fuse or CB, as I'm not too keen to have that huge cable unprotected. Not sure what people do in this instance.

I didn't bother, under load winches can pull up to 600A, good luck finding something suitable.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »
I didn't bother, under load winches can pull up to 600 Amp, good luck finding something suitable.

what size cable is it from battery ? ? ?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
what size cable is it from battery ? ? ?

Dunno the exact size, I had Mal Leslie fit mine, the copper conductor is about the size of my thumb, I think he used welding cable 00 B&S
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:28:34 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
Dunno the exact size, I had Mal Leslie fit mine, the copper conductor is about the size of my thumb, I think he used welding cable.

sounds correct  :cup:

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »
watching, waiting and reserving judgement  :cheers:

troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »
For a Fuse don't worry about it as mentioned 600amps thats one big fuse

What my winch came with was a cable the you twists and it disconnects the winch from the battery
If I was to run something I'd use a big anderson plug and only plug it in when I needed to use the winch

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 12:03:14 AM »
[insert witty comment]

Offline Ropes

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Owner Operator of OFFTRAX WA
    • OFFTRAX WA
Supercheap Auto Winch
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 12:55:50 AM »
Nice one, that solenoid is identical to mine, I just fitted my wireless remote control box inside, made sure everything was tight and clean then sealed it it with automotive silicon (I had some left over from when I fitted my snorkel).
It'll work until it doesn't I guess and I'll just check it every 6 months or so. If it dies, I'll just replace it with one of these.

TIGERZ11 THOMPSON CONTROL BOX HAND AND WIRELESS REMOTE INCLUDES ALL WIRING

I didn't have to rotate anything because the winch just bolted straight down onto the TJM mount.

Cheers
Craig
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:23:11 AM by Ropes »
05 Nissan Patrol GU IV ST 4.2 TDi - Followed by a Metalian Maxi with original Australian Tent

OFFTRAX WA

Western Patrol Club Member

Offline Ropes

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Owner Operator of OFFTRAX WA
    • OFFTRAX WA
Supercheap Auto Winch
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:29 AM »
what about this?

These are a very good idea for anyone with a wireless controller, I don't know how true it is, but I have heard tell of someone unlucky enough to have their winch inadvertently activate and cave in the front bar.

Cheers
Craig
05 Nissan Patrol GU IV ST 4.2 TDi - Followed by a Metalian Maxi with original Australian Tent

OFFTRAX WA

Western Patrol Club Member

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »
I was advised by Mal not to fit anything in-line with the winch as if it fails in the bush you have a problem. I also have the Warn wireless controller fitted and have gone back to a wired controller.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »
If you want to isolate your winch.  The easiest and most reliable way is to fit a longer bolt to the clamp on the + battery terminal tighten off with a nut and then fit the winch cable on the end with a wingnut.  Takes about 20 seconds to connect or disconnect the winch.  Worked well for me as I had the control box fitted on top of the inner guard, so I hade to pop the bonnet to connect the controller anyway.

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
If you want to isolate your winch.  The easiest and most reliable way is to fit a longer bolt to the clamp on the + battery terminal tighten off with a nut and then fit the winch cable on the end with a wingnut. 
Takes about 20 seconds to connect or disconnect the winch. 
I presently have no winch, but.. I would think power to the winch would only be required when the winch is being used to extract a vehicle from a precarious position  :laugh:

Therefore the best way to connect power up to the winch is by a similar method as suggested here
Only connect the winch cable to the battery, when you go out bush and are prepared to put your vehicle into a position where you may need the winch for recovery :cheers:

I see no point in having a live 12v feed being exposed to the public where it connects to the winch  :-[