Author Topic: Weight Loss  (Read 57430 times)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
Weight Loss
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
Hi Swaggers
Given this is a general discussion area, I hope to get some good tips on weight loss.
I knew at Christmas time, when one of my daughters bought some bathroom scales that actually tell you your weight that I was in trouble.  My daughter got on and it said her weight, my son in law got on and it said his weight, then I got on and it actually said “One at a time please”.  My daughter forgot to tell me it only went to 100kg, and she grabbed the machine, as I damned near picked it up and threw it out.  Technology with an attitude.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Black-Pig

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Everything is Subject to change...
Re: Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
I cant even remember the last time I got on a set of scales, but I am damn sure it would have read over 100kg. I have not been less since I was mid teens or earlier.
05 SR5 Hilux  - With Fruit...
2012 Outback Sturt - with some modifications

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
 I'm just so proud of my Tony,  his weight is down to 109kg since xmas(he can't remember when he was that weight last).  His weight loss was given a bit of a boost when he had an unexplained bowel obstruction, but being able to keep his weight down for last 8 weeks is a major feat.  Go my main man Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D cheers rellbell

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
My wife has been on the Michelle Bridge's program to get back to her original weight after the wto kids and I have joined her due to my midriff getting a bit soft and wide.  I am not big (was only 72 kg to start with) but found that with following the food plan which is basically set at 1800 calories a day for blokes based on a diet of lean meat, salad and vegetables.  We also cut out the carbs from pasta, bread and potatoes, stopped putting margerine/butter on any bread we did eat and used spray oil instead of a few tablespoons of oil when cooking.  It was overwhelming measuring and counting everything at first but soon became normal until now we know what stuff is worth so don't bother measuring so much. 

I registered at www.livestrong.com (free) and use it to track my food, there is also lots of good information there.  We also started excercising and the weight has fallen off.  I have lost 8kg in around 10 weeks which I would not have believed was possible given my size and have now changed my profile on livestong to build my weight back up again, just not the soft floppy type of weight ;D
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Forgot to add, no alcohol (or other non water drinks), which will be a big one for many on here however given we are not big drinkers it really made no difference to us.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Weight Loss
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
Another member and I used to work for Tony Ferguson Weightloss.

To lose weight one needs to consume less energy than one uses. Remove as many carbs as you can from your diet; sugar, bread, rice, potato and other starchy veges. Go nuts on the green veges and have some protein, a palm sized piece of meat for instance.

You don't need meal replacements but they sure help a lot people out in the mental battle.

Excercise is not essential for weight loss and can in fact make it harder, as both diet and excercise can be hard work. Excercise is essential for good health though.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »
The good wife lost 20kg through metabolic balance. (Look it up) it was developed in Germany. My wife had to lose weight for her endometriosis, she can have no more operations. Since dropping the kgs,the cysts have slowed down and see has no pain.(at times,intense)
I stupidly joked that if she lost the 25kg she wanted to, I would buy her a Harley.  Around 18kg she warred looking and dragging me to bike shops.now I have to think of an excuse to delay that purchase.
sometimes an incentive ask helps. Notonly the health and well being benefits.

Good luck.
Weight loss begins with a change of your mindset first, change they way you think about food/eating/exercise.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
if u wanna lose weight its simple......
Just cut back  on what u have to eat...dont eliminate everything that u love but know is bad.....
And the main thing is step up your training.......
If u walk 1 kay now..walk 3 kays..and faster.....
If u swim 500 metres...swim 700 metres...etc etc....
Just burn more than u injest and u WILL lose weight

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
I lost 22kg's in 7 months - and I have managed to keep it off for 13 months now.  On 1st Sept 2010 I weighed 104.6kg's with a waist of 111cm. On 7/3/2011 I weighed 82.6kg.  I weighed myself this morning and was 82.8kg and I have a waist of 94cm.

What I did:

- Drank a biddon (cycling bottle) full of water prior to every meal (You become a piss monster but after the first month once you have passed the threshold of what you are doing is now becomes a habit you can drop the one prior to the evening meal)  I also had only water except for an oj with my breakfast.
- Reduce your portion sizes and don't go back for seconds.  I used to eat 5 WeetBix in the morning, I cut this back to 4.  I always used to go back for seconds at dinner but stopped that.  I also used to eat a bowl of cereal just before going to bed.  I cut this down to once a week.
- I stopped eating KFC, Hungry Jacks, Chicken and Chips for lunch which I used to have twice to three times a week.
- I didn't alter anything else, didn't not eat potatoes or anything like that and just did the above and it worked.

Every fortnight I would allow myself 1 KFC meal (or Hungry's or Chicken and Chips) as to go cold turkey is impossible and it gives you something to look forward to in the early stages so you can keep on track with what you are supposed to be doing.  Then as you start seeing results you don't even want to eat this crap anymore - I am down to once a quarter now!!

Now that the weight is off this is how I've maintained it:
- Still don't eat the crap as per above
- Still don't go back for seconds at dinner and still very much watch my portion sizes
- I now eat my bowl of cereal every night but I eat it alot earlier - no eating after 7.30pm
- I have one glass of orange juice with my breakfast, every other drink is water (and maybe a hot chocolate 2 to 3 times a week)

Exercise does make a difference:  During the summer months I cycle up to 1000km's a month, but I wouldn't lost much weight - but I that was until I adjusted my mindset.  It is not ok to go and eat a chocolate donut just because I had done a 100km ride.  Once I accepted this then the weight did start to go more rapidly.

Finally, I weighed myself every Monday morning when I got up.  This kept me on track over the weekends.  Over the whole six months, there were 4 weigh-ins where I actually weighed more than the week before and 1 where I lost nothing at all, but I had been told that this would happen, and just made me more determined for the next week to watch my eating habits (and that's what they become - habits!!).
I kept a record every week of how much I had lost (for the week and total) and it was great seeing the progress.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:09:07 PM by JKohn »

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
oooo.. i got a mention!

Drinking water is one of the greatest tools you can use to lose weight.
If you are hungry, and it's not meal time, drink some water. not only is it good for you, it will help push away that hunger.. you will have the funny side effect of peeing lots though.

Cut your portion sizes down, slow down your eating, and eat less fatty foods and sugars. 15-20 minutes after you've eaten, if you are still hungry, have some water, if you are still hungry, have something very small.

Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline whatsa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
I dont know about weight loss programs I just know I like to eat and not be hungry all the time.

I lose about 15kgs ... ( about every two years I do this) 105 to 90kgs 185cm 40+

I just remove all carbs except rice and potatoes occassionally
all dairy except low fat milk
meat every night ( seafood 90%) and all the veges and fruit you want( snacks)
( oops no beer)

Takes me about 10 weeks .

(basically you get rid of all your processed foods/ bad fatty foods).
its not hard just different food...

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.....

pacs

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
I work in I.T. so I do a lot of "SITTING ON MY ARSE" and travelling to regional sites is just more of the same... I left IT several years back before meeting my partner and I was working on our family  farm up the Mallee and I was fit as a fiddle though when we left the mallee for Bendigo to start our family and I returned to working in I.T. it was not long before I had gone out in sympathy as they say to my partner who was pregnant with twins and yes I put on several yoko twins.. so I know how it feels to be fit and at a good weight only to put it on again.

Recently I under took a workplace health check and then started to make several changes in my eating habits just to make a start and I could tell that I had lost a little weight in doing so and the scales showed this though I would love to loose a lot more... so I'm interested in what others have tried and tested.. I do like the life be in it advertisement on the tv swap more for less and as BigJules said with veggies and small palm size portions of meat a change in diet will make a big difference to start with.

ehh my 2cents  ;D

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »

To lose weight one needs to consume less energy than one uses. Remove as many carbs as you can from your diet; sugar, bread, rice, potato and other starchy veges. Go nuts on the green veges and have some protein, a palm sized piece of meat for instance.

You don't need meal replacements but they sure help a lot people out in the mental battle.

Excercise is not essential for weight loss and can in fact make it harder, as both diet and excercise can be hard work. Excercise is essential for good health though.

BigJules
Meal replacements are not an option, as I do live in the Great Sandy Desert, and our nearest Supermarket is an 8 hour drive on a good day.  I have spent up a bit, and bought one of those exercise bikes, and I am doing about half an hour every night, still on setting number 1, but it is better than nothing.  I am enjoying that part (exercise) as although it is not "stripping" the weight off me, I am finding walking a lot easier after almost two months of exersising.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:42:09 PM by Tjupurula »

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
Hi Cruisindub and Wholehog
Thanks for sharing the advice, I am writing down a lot that I am reading, and I will be putting some things together to format something for myself.  Sticking to something is not the problem, distance to getting fresh vegies and the like can be a problem, but theb rain is starting to drop, so I may be able to drive  to Kununurra more often, or send the son in law for shopping.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
It seems one recurring theme here is drinking much more water, and that is something that I do not do enough of.  Oh I drink plenty of water, but it usually has some yeast and other ingredients in it that turn it amber.  My goodness, life without amber fluid has me suffering the ducks and drakes just thinking about it, but I guess some sacrifices must be made.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Hi,
   drinking about 500mL of water before a meal will help you feel satisfied with less food.
Cheap, easy, effective in cutting food intake with out hunger pangs.
cheers

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
I love my donuts but rarely eat them. I am only a small person and dont have a weight issue. My partner is a fitness freak and her regime is exercise, excersise, excercise. Eat plenty of vegies and cut down on carbs. No alcohol especially beer. Get rid of sweets if you have after tea time. Go fr regular walks and get inspired by biggest loser. Best of luck
Wayne :police:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
It seems one recurring theme here is drinking much more water, and that is something that I do not do enough of.  Oh I drink plenty of water, but it usually has some yeast and other ingredients in it that turn it amber.  My goodness, life without amber fluid has me suffering the ducks and drakes just thinking about it, but I guess some sacrifices must be made.
Regards
Tjupurula

Check the livestrong site I metioned, as part of the daily food count there is a water tally.  I find if I do not use it I don't drink the required amount, I would be lucky to drink a glass of water a day when I don't make a concieous effort to do it.

Offline ap

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
My wife and I have been doing Weight Watcher Pro Points.  I have dropped from 105kg in mid September to 88.3kg last weekend.  I'm not being anywhere near as careful as I was but am still going down.  I am lighter than I have been for 20+ years.

The things that the programme teaches you are:

portion size, we generally eat far too much and you soon adjust to smaller portions;
you can eat as much as you want of the good things - veggies and fruit to a certain extent so there is no need for you to go hungry;
exercise gets you bonus points to use for other things!
yes, unfortunately you have to watch the amount that you drink but you can still enjoy a few drinks every week.

I was perfectly happy at the weight that I was but was nagged persuaded to do it and I fell much better now.

It works, if you take it seriously and are committed to following the programme but it is not torture, you just adjust you life and after a little while it becomes second nature.

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
I already wrote one massive reply about this today, don't feel up to shortening it for the forum right now.  I topped out at 155kg at the start of last year, was still 145kg in October, was under 130kg by Christmas and I'm now 118kg.

The diet I went on actually made me eat more than I used to and I'm full and more satisfied for longer than I ever was eating whatever I wanted.

Actually here, originally written for an email, got a bit carried away with the word count (I wasn't given a limit)
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6fd5eb85d16d32e0&resid=6FD5EB85D16D32E0!189&parid=6FD5EB85D16D32E0!104

If you skip to about the 2nd page it starts actually talking about what I did rather than what lead up to doing it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:08:40 PM by johnyd89 »

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
Another thing people tend to overlook is the portion(s) of food to the time of the day.

If you're quite active during the day, good size breakfast & lunch. Night time is mostly a case of just sitting around, you're not burning much energy, so don't eat big!
Bob and Robyn

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
Hi

What an inspiring thread.   :cheers:

After I got crook about 4 years ago I put on about 15kg and could really notice it.  Over the past 8weeks I have dropped from 94.5 down to 88.2 by reducing my food intake.  Smaller plates/bowls at dinner and stick to a piece of fruit and a sandwich during the day.

We have free range chooks so twice a week my wife and I will have two poached eggs on a panini roll  :cup:

I think we are all different so different things work.  I also get the impression that as you get older you need to ease back on the quantities.

Good luck to everyone.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
I love my donuts but rarely eat them. I am only a small person and dont have a weight issue. My partner is a fitness freak and her regime is exercise, excersise, excercise. Eat plenty of vegies and cut down on carbs. No alcohol especially beer. Get rid of sweets if you have after tea time. Go fr regular walks and get inspired by biggest loser. Best of luck
Wayne :police:

Hi Wayne
I do not eat things like donuts, simply because where I live we cannot get them.  I am however 194cm and 140+kg, and most of the weight sits just above my belt.  I want to enjoy playing with the grandkids a lot more, and that is going to mean a bit ofa weight loss, otherwise I have no chance of keeping up with them.  It is embarrassing when you get winded pushing a little tacker on the swings.  I like your idea of the vegies, but do you reckon that is okay stir fried with a bit of chilli and garlic.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Black-Pig

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Everything is Subject to change...
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
As long as it not sweet chilli it should be ok. Chilli's are good for you. Cant remember how but they are. And who could live with out garlic?
05 SR5 Hilux  - With Fruit...
2012 Outback Sturt - with some modifications

Manjimike

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »
Garlic is good for your cholestrol I just found out.
At 60yrs, 179cm and 88kg I thought I was not too bad, but a BMI of 27.5 is classed as overweight.
With my cholestrol at 8.5 I have to change some habits also.

:cheers:
Mike