Author Topic: MDC campers in BNE, reviews/opinions  (Read 20299 times)

Offline batts

• Learning the Ropes
MDC campers in BNE, reviews/opinions
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
Hey all,

I have received some great information and advice on GIC, from this forum, thank you all.

I recently tripped over the MDC Camper Trailers built in Brissy, the extreme off road seems great value including shocks and electric brakes.

Thoughts?

Thanks all

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
Re: MDC campers in BNE, reviews/opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
I have the V2 offroad but had a GIC 18ft tent installed. My only gripe is the rear section under the tailgate being just folded checkerplate and not a solid bar. I mistakenly climbed inside one day without the stabiliser legs being down and the rear of the trailer crashed to the ground bending the checkerplate a bit. A solid section of bar would of made it easier to weld on a hitch reciever for a bike rack or recovery point too. Overall though the construction is pretty good. Solid continuous welds as opposed to section stitches that I have seen on other trailers like "leisure matters" for example. They are also opening a new showroom in Sydney in the next few weeks for those wanting a look...

Offline batts

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
I have the V2 offroad but had a GIC 18ft tent installed. My only gripe is the rear section under the tailgate being just folded checkerplate and not a solid bar. I mistakenly climbed inside one day without the stabiliser legs being down and the rear of the trailer crashed to the ground bending the checkerplate a bit. A solid section of bar would of made it easier to weld on a hitch reciever for a bike rack or recovery point too. Overall though the construction is pretty good. Solid continuous welds as opposed to section stitches that I have seen on other trailers like "leisure matters" for example. They are also opening a new showroom in Sydney in the next few weeks for those wanting a look...

The V2 off road does look good, just wish there was a GIC dealer in Adelaide so I could take another look at them.

The pricing of Market Direct Campers looks very sharp too, but again not in Adelaide.

Offline way-t-go

• Tent User
    • Our Camper Trailer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »
The Extreme doesn't have that checker plate section under the tailgate, only the Off Road Deluxe has it. A work colleague of mine has the Extreme and it looks really well made, strong, good welds and the powder coat finish is the icing on the cake.

Gary
2009 'MDC' Off Road Deluxe Camper with more mods than you can poke a stick at.
2010 Mitsubishi PB Challenger Auto

Offline bully60

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Only used mine once so far (insert bloody work here ) but I was happy with it. Off to MArgaret river in a fortnight looking forward to getting it set back up.

Only issue so far is a small leak from a water tank hose,  have to check my repair worked!.
Jungle Green FJ  and Jayco Dove Outback
http://bully60.blogspot.com.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
Looked at these the other day as I was driving past & stopped for a look, trailers look reasonably well made but the tent section was a maze of tent poles and spreaders. Compared to my Trackabout (old '03 model) it would have taken me 3 times as long to set it up as it does mine, and where would you store all those poles & spreaders? But yes I realise the price of a Trackie new (if you could still get one) is/was a lot more money. My opinion is to get an older upmarket second hand CT for the same price if you can. For the price they look like quite good value but I'd rather be enjoying a  :cheers: instead of putting up poles.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
I have the V2 offroad but had a GIC 18ft tent installed.

How'd you pull that one off, mate? I figured the TBox V2 would suit us, but I want a different tent. Gave them a call and was told they won't sell a trailer without a tent. When I expressed disappointment and said it's cost them a sale, they were quite fine about it. Said they need all the trailers they can get. Business must be good at MDC.
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
I had a mate with a GIC that wanted to swap tents.
He had a 12ft tinny and wanted a boat rack that would fold out to the side. As the 18ft tent folds out both sides he needed a different tent... Fine by me!!!

Offline lCaml

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Being fairly new to the CT scene I've been spending some time looking at the MDC options, and they do seem to be a pretty cost effective way to go..

A Gal Extreme (plus options i want) would put me around the 8.5k mark which is within my budget.. If I were to look at a "upmarket" second hand CT what would the real life benefits be? I will NOT be dong any offroading, but chose the gal extreme purely for the brakes..

Looking at their site the setup of the main tent doesn't appear overly difficult, I will be traveling by myself my primary concern is setup..

Interested in some opinions..

EDIT: Whilst I am at it.. I must ask what is a spreader pole? Sounds like a stupid question, but I cant seem to find an answer...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:07:22 AM by lCaml »

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
Whilst I am at it.. I must ask what is a spreader pole? Sounds like a stupid question, but I cant seem to find an answer...
Horizontal pole going from the top of one tent pole to another (mostly, but can go other places) to keep the canvas straight & taut. My trackabout doesn't have any & doesn't really need any.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline lCaml

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
Arh huh! Thanks for that!

Interested to hear some feedback on these MDC campers!

sun burnt country

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
Gidday Icaml..I know this reply is coming a bit late but i would check out Pinnacle Campers for the money you wanna spend.
If you havn't already purchased..I was looking at them a few months back.Pretty good package for the spend$

Offline way-t-go

• Tent User
    • Our Camper Trailer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

Looking at their site the setup of the main tent doesn't appear overly difficult, I will be traveling by myself my primary concern is setup..

Interested in some opinions..

EDIT: Whilst I am at it.. I must ask what is a spreader pole? Sounds like a stupid question, but I cant seem to find an answer...

It takes us 15 mins. from arriving on site to getting the main tent up and we're not rushing - add another 15 mins. to get the annex up. With a bit more effort I reckon we could trim off about 5 mins. for each of those times. I've erected the tent in 15 mins. on my own, it's not difficult.

The spreader poles only get used if it looks like raining and if you are not getting the 12' tent i'm not sure if you need them.

Gary
2009 'MDC' Off Road Deluxe Camper with more mods than you can poke a stick at.
2010 Mitsubishi PB Challenger Auto