Author Topic: Camping at the Jardine RIver  (Read 4280 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Camping at the Jardine RIver
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
Last year a few members where nervous to camp at the Jardine. Where we camp is approx 100 mtres away from the river up a steep bank. The river it self is shallow and has clear water for 200 mtres.

Like all major rivers at the Cape there are crocs but I have never seen any. All other water crossings we cross are croc free.

If you feel you are not comfortable camping there you can use the by pass track after Nolan's creek and head to the Jardine ferry where there is camping.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
Re: Camping at the Jardine RIver
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
I spoke to the ranger at Heathlands the other day, and he said that the NP campsites at the Old Jardine River Crossing now need to be pre-booked like Eliot Falls and all other National Park campsites on the Cape now. Just a heads up as I don't think it's mentioned on their website.
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
I looked on their map and it does not show any camping places at the Jardine. I will follow this up. We should be ok as most people do Twin falls.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Update

They now have the sites on the Jardine marked and I have attached a pic.

We stayed at camp 3 , on the south side, which had plenty of room and could fit 8 campers easliy.

1           Maximum one car and trailer (four people). Near the Jardine River.
2           Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people). On the edge of a sandbar, near the Jardine River.
3           Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people).  On the edge of a sandbar, near the Jardine River. 
4           Maximum three cars and trailers (eight people).  Beside the old Jardine River crossing.
5           Maximum two cars and trailers (six people). Beside the old Jardine River crossing.
6           Maximum one car and trailer (four people).  Elevated site looking over the Jardine River.
7           Maximum one car and trailer (four people).  Elevated site looking over the Jardine River.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:04:06 PM by McGirr »

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Mark   Should we all go individually onto websight and book our sight or do we just turn up. My experience with this sight is that if say I book camp 3 but only include one adult and one child then it removes it from sale. You then try and book camp 3 and it would be booked out.  Also the number of campers/trailers per sight is usually a guide only.      Martin

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Mark   Should we all go individually onto websight and book our sight or do we just turn up. My experience with this sight is that if say I book camp 3 but only include one adult and one child then it removes it from sale. You then try and book camp 3 and it would be booked out.  Also the number of campers/trailers per sight is usually a guide only.      Martin

Martin I would not worry about booking as some members may want to camp else where and we could be delayed getting there. I cannot see a problem with us turning up and camping.

Mark

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
There's an ongoing discussion about sites on the Pajero Club Forum and some of the comments from the rangers seem to indicate there may be some issues with just turning up... >:(

Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »

Very few people camp on the Jardine. We will see whats there when we turn up. There are other places near by that you can camp.

As on the northern OTL heading north the land on the right is National Parks and the land on the left is not.

Mark   

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
If things are too packed at the Jardine you can always camp at the ferry.  It was cheap and had hot showers.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13