Author Topic: Chainsaw Safety - Should the use of PPE be legislated?  (Read 41096 times)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Chainsaw Safety - Should the use of PPE be legislated?
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
If this thread continues down this path, I'm going to have to call in the unions...........

You guys are trying to do Darwin out of a job!!!!
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Hi,
  OK, it's not a chainsaw, but an outboard motor.
Now that is ice floating on the water.
Any body see any PPE?

I feel sorry for Police divers called out in water temperatures like this to find the body that did not have the proper protection and eventually sank.

cheers

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
how about some tips for us noob chainsaw drivers,  i bought one six months ago, wear lon pants, shirt, steelies, glasses and faceshield.  i only use it for firewood and im pretty careful about settng up cuts before i start cutting.

what else will bite me on the bum?
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
how about some tips for us noob chainsaw drivers,  i bought one six months ago, wear lon pants, shirt, steelies, glasses and faceshield.  i only use it for firewood and im pretty careful about settng up cuts before i start cutting.

Umm the chainsaw will do just that!
First get some chainsaw chaps cause long pants or not a chainsaw will cut right through and then get some training.
you asked my opinion.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »
Guys, I work in the Underground Mining Industry and have over 30 years in combined time in open cut and underground mines. In my time, (I am the wearer of a few scars and injuries) I have seen safety increase and the results of safety change make mining a much safer working place. But there are those who will use SAFTEY as an excuse not to do any work. JSA, s and risk assessments are a necessary evil in all industries but when people spend hours either doing a JSA or risk assessment and play on the fact that they won’t get themself into trouble by do so, it becomes a bit of a joke.
I have read this section with an open mind and I can see arguments on both sides, but there are those, myself included, when it comes to wearing protective clothing while using a chainsaw, do rely on experience and a prayer. Accidents will happen and no form of protection can prevent this, only reduce the impact.

personal protective equipment (PPE)

Definition
Safety equipment issued to help employees in protecting themselves from the hazards of their work environments. PPE includes fire retardant or chemical-proof clothing, gloves, hard hats, respirators, safety spectacles, etc. Food hygiene equipment (aprons, caps, plastic gloves, etc.) are not included in this category.
Ads by Google

QLD Site Safety Plan

The use of personal protective equipment is to reduce employee exposure to hazards when engineering and administrative controls are not feasible or effective to reduce these risks to acceptable levels.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:15 AM »
i always use all correct PPE when using chainsaw, no matter how small the job or hot the temp. i like my body parts attached and functional. PPE will not save all areas of the body, thats where common sense, safe work practises, and good luck come in. legislation for the compulsory use of PPE at ALL time would be ideal, but you would have more success banning idiots....cheers wayne
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
how about some tips for us noob chainsaw drivers

If you are not cutting always have the chain brake on
Never ever use the 12-3 area on the bar to cut unless you're doing a plunge cut
Always be aware of what is around you and keep your work area clear in case you need to move in a hurry
Remember CUT, cut compression before tension

This is a pretty good read http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD2487.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:44:43 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »

read up on kickback so you know why to avoid cutting with the tip of the saw,lots of good vids on youtube,  always have a sharp chain ,use hearing protection,  use chaps, and have a hard hat with shield fitted for use when limbing.

heres a link to a vid that shows just how fast kickback can occur.
http://www.treeworld.info/attachments/f7/2657d1193521468-kickback-video-kick-back-video-chainsaw-kickbacktest.wmv

heres a 20 min vid about chainsaw safety.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamFWzb7ufE
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline cdustbehindme

• Tent User
  • Nothing like an Odysee
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
Bunnings dont give instructions on how to use a chainsaw, But guess what? When you brought your last Car, did the Dealer run you through a 5 day course on safe operation of the car?

No the dealer doesnt do that, but you need a car licence to drive the car, this licence "apparently" proves that you are a safe driver and can use a car responsibly whilst not endangering yourself and others....

Perhaps needing your chainsaw ticket before purchasing a saw would at least ensure that the person buying had a basic level of competency and understanding of safety whilst using this device......   Plenty of injuries from people just sharpening the things!!

"common sense"  we all get taught common sense, we dont gain it genetically.....   genetically we have a different capacity to understand and learn different things......
The perfect campsite IS out there.........

Offline FJWALLY

• Swag User
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »
The chainsaw certificate should be something pretty minimal that can be done when you pick the saw up - this would at least ensure someone completely unsuited to using a chainsaw cannot walk out of a shop without at least being directed to a proper safety course.

But back to PPE - common sense must prevail - I never cut without my stihl hard hat with muffs and shield - good boots and a good set of riggers gloves - chaps I am wanting to get but have not overcome the shock of the price but know I should wear them but I don't cut that often and am extremely careful when I do.

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
chaps I am wanting to get but have not overcome the shock of the price but know I should wear them but I don't cut that often and am extremely careful when I do.

i got labonville chaps delivered from treestuff USA for less than $100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52N9YPfFkcw

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1161

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:10:24 AM by koshari »

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Seems like chainsaw safety has come a long way.   

I bought a chainsaw about 10 years ago and was offered no advice as to safety and no safety gear.

Looks like I've just been pretty lucky, I taught myself to use the thing and have never used anything other than caution and a pair of glasses.

How good a job do the leather chaps do in stopping a chain saw cut ?

I would certainly have benefitted from some sort of training or knowledge about chainsaw safety.
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
How good a job do the leather chaps do in stopping a chain saw cut ?

Like a hot knife through butter

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »
Like a hot knife through butter

Hi,
   haven't seen leather chainsaw chaps, they would not be effective at all.

The ones I saw on our course were kevlar outer with a thick padding of nylon thread which pulls out if caught by a chain tooth and stops the chain very quickly.
There are some good demo videos on Youtube of how it works.
I believe the new ones have a kevlar filling now and are even faster at choking the saw blade.
cheers

Offline FJWALLY

• Swag User
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
Nice one koshari - have ordered a set - Stihl set are 300+ here.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Now I know I should wear PPE......but to cut a small log for the campfire whilst using the smallest size Huskie.......and being mindful of where I stand and how I cut....I'm sorry, but I'm a bloody idiot for not using ANY PPE...

But I'll keep doing it....knowing full well the ramifications if something were to go wrong, but also being fairly confident that it won't !!!!!!!!

99.9% of my cutting is a log lying on the ground......no plunge cutting....no cutting into the dirt underneath.....no compression cutting....no standing where a kickback could hit the body etc etc !!

But if you are really concerned about my safety, I suppose someone could donate some PPE  !! ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
Now I know I should wear PPE......but to cut a small log for the campfire whilst using the smallest size Huskie

Both of the times where I have had a 'moment' have been on small stuff. The bigger stuff you usually have a mental plan of how and where you're going to cut. But I take your point. Maybe you should get out the bow saw and make it safer for everyone and get fit too :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
Maybe you should get out the bow saw and make it safer for everyone and get fit too :)
Fark i better start now than ive got a few excess kilo's to work off  ;D
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Nice one koshari - have ordered a set - Stihl set are 300+ here.

cheers wally,
i should have mentioned if you put "arborist" in the coupon field of the order you can save another 5% as iam a member of the arborist site but i dont think they check,  sorry thats a bit late for you to benefit.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
. Maybe you should get out the bow saw and make it safer for everyone and get fit too :)

No way.........I'd rather cut me leg off than have a heart attack !! ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline 9775Andrew

• Tent User
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »
Fact is, there are less people injured or killed in the workplace today.

Look at it this way, would you rather send your kids to a workplace that conduct "20 page" risk assessment, and does their best to manage the safety of your precious offspring? Or would you prefer to send them to a workplace that just wanted the job done quickly, taking unnecessary risks is a part of the job.

All whilst you are getting paid an hourly rate. Think about it.

Those in the "We're looking after you industry" will defend the over the top regs to the end of time and have piss week Parliaments allowing them to destroy the workpace.

I have been an employee, employer, self employed and site manager responsible for teams of people and I have never asked them to do anything I wouldn't do myself, in fact if it ever there ever is a bit of risk involved I do carry out said task myself.

But everyone must realise the rising cost in any workplace and there comes a massive cost to employment and Australian production.

No, don't send people out to chop trees without a pair of glasses (I won't even grind without full face shield after too many visits to the doc) BUT, if they chose to, don't try and sue the employer and the saw manufacturer .................. just deal with the decision they made.

It is the legal poopsticks and piss week legislation that allowed the American "it's someone elses fault" system to start here.

If my kids chose to ignore the dangers after sound advice then bad luck. If my kids get told by an employer to do something they are not comfortable with and don't tell them where to go ................. they must be someone else!

How many times do you tell your kids 'don't ride down the hill or jump off that roof, are they gonna sue you for no barricade on your roof or buying them the bike?

It's called Life .............. deal with it
We're Grey Nomads in Training

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Those in the "We're looking after you industry" will defend the over the top regs to the end of time and have piss week Parliaments allowing them to destroy the workpace.

I have been an employee, employer, self employed and site manager responsible for teams of people and I have never asked them to do anything I wouldn't do myself, in fact if it ever there ever is a bit of risk involved I do carry out said task myself.

But everyone must realise the rising cost in any workplace and there comes a massive cost to employment and Australian production.

No, don't send people out to chop trees without a pair of glasses (I won't even grind without full face shield after too many visits to the doc) BUT, if they chose to, don't try and sue the employer and the saw manufacturer .................. just deal with the decision they made.

It is the legal poopsticks and piss week legislation that allowed the American "it's someone elses fault" system to start here.

If my kids chose to ignore the dangers after sound advice then bad luck. If my kids get told by an employer to do something they are not comfortable with and don't tell them where to go ................. they must be someone else!

How many times do you tell your kids 'don't ride down the hill or jump off that roof, are they gonna sue you for no barricade on your roof or buying them the bike?

It's called Life .............. deal with it
Well said, totally agree.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »
cheers wally,
i should have mentioned if you put "arborist" in the coupon field of the order you can save another 5% as iam a member of the arborist site but i dont think they check,  sorry thats a bit late for you to benefit.

Ahh that's where I have seen your user name before.  Also a member, sold my mill now though so havn't been there for a long while.  Good forum, bought my chainsaw from the US on some advice from an aborist member from over east.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

Ahh that's where I have seen your user name before.  Also a member, sold my mill now though so havn't been there for a long while.  Good forum, bought my chainsaw from the US on some advice from an aborist member from over east.

cheers burnsy, i actually initially joined this forum from your jayco build thread, have done a bit of work to our dove but nothing as comprehensive as yours.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
I have a bow saw for firewood.

If I get a chain saw I will do training and buy protective gear.

A long time since my Air Cadet weapons training with the Lee Enfield .303, but the principles have remained in-grained.  I recon the same principles apply here.

2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!