Author Topic: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle  (Read 47734 times)

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

I do a bit of target shooting and a spot of hunting. For those of us who are into hunting / target shooting the humble little .22 rimfire is a popular choice, good for hunting the small stuff and cheap for hours of enjoyment at the local range.

Like everything we can get involved with these days, there are hot debates like the old " Ford verse Holden" debates. I have seen some passionate debates about the humble .22 rimfire, and for those of us who are into this area of interest, I've found most people have a favourite.

Im keen on the CZ .22  and the Winchester Wildcat .22 which are both great for picking up the odd rabbit for the pot when away with the camper on farming properties.

Cheers

Campfire

Offline sako

• Tent User
Re: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Gotta love a sako P94

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
Gotta love a sako P94

Sako are great guns, excellent quality and reputation and well worth the money for those who spend the extra bucks $$$

Campfire

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
I am really sorry I handed in my licence and sold mine when the changes to licencing came into place.  I have no regrets that the semi auto is gone but I loved my old Lithgow SAF  single shot.  It had the SAF emblem on a disk in the stock which was otherwise plain, no cross hatching or anything, was small, light weight, well balanced and the open sights were deadly accurate.  I think it probably dated back to the 1940's and use to live in a hand stitched leather sleave in the back of my 4wd when I was out and about camping around Kalgoorlie.  Was great for despatching road kills and filling the camp oven with rabbit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:03:39 PM by Burnsy »
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite
The following users thanked this post: 2010banditsa

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
Can't go past the CZ BRNO .22
I got mine for my 15th birthday. Dad took me to the police station I sat the test, I passed , we went to the gun shop and we come home with the new rifle.
How times have changed.
 :cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »
I have a lovely little short barrel BRNO Mod2.  :cup:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:57:52 PM by Snow »
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
If you can find one the BRNO model 2 was a top rifle in its day.

I had a Winchester 73(I think) tube mag, held 12 LR rounds. Slushy action though as the tube was tied to the action somehow.

Old man had a Kriko 22mag with a Bushnell 4x32 scope.

Shouldve kept mine... :(
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
I'm rather partial to the Rugers in rimfire - got a .22rf, .22WM and .17HMR all in Rugers.

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
Just found a picture of my exact Lithgow from the powerhouse museum.  Makes me want to go and find another one.  I wonder if my old gun licence number would still work or whether your licence is voided once you have no guns on it?  Wishful thinking I know :'(

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=232850

Found another of the stock disk
http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/REL32492?image=2
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:05:44 PM by Burnsy »

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »
I once owned a 10/22 ruger semi auto .22  before Johnny decided I didn't need it anymore. Ruger is a good and their stainless B/A in 223 has served me well.

My favourite rimfire is CZ BRNO in .22 & .22 Mag.

The BRNO has a bit of cult following in Oz, and you would be hard pressed to find an old farmer who didn't have one.

What excites me about the .22 Mag is the new high tech ammo out these days especially in 30 grain polymer ballistic tip rounds. They pull feral cats up well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:06:35 AM by Campfire »

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »
lithgow single shot,nice rifle to put in the hands of young learning shooter sons.a german single shot carbine from the depression era a mates grandfather kept his family fed with around broadford with rabbits,believe it or not i love my stirling 22 carbine as a ute gun when im spotlighting and my new stainless savage 22mag,it knocks the foxes really well when i take the tenterfield out,got 67 last year and 38 this year includeing my first ever triple and i didnt have my camera dammit,almost like the mag more than my swift.
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline harvs

• Swag User
    • Shootme productions
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:53:19 PM »
What great thread.
I'd recon that learnt to shoot did so with either a .22 or a shotgun. I got my .22 when I was 15, I still have it. it's an Ansultz 1450. A basic rifle, but very light, compact, and accurate. Awesome for walking hilly country for  hours, or spotlighting in a car. it's taken countless rabbits, and the odd fox and feral. I always wanted a bigger rifle feel though, and would love to own a Brno for this reason.
I have a ruger m77 in .220 swift for the bigger and further targets. and I always love an afternoon with a mate   Dusting clays.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
I have a mixed bag in the collection including some shotguns, centrefires, air rifle and a couple of rimfires.

It's all good fun provided it's done safely, I do a regular run of farms / private properties where it's a great excuse to try out the latest hot loads on the market for .22 LR and .22 WMR.

Lately I've been taking air rifle hunting a lot more serious, especially since the technology from what they use to be has jumped in leaps and bounds.

It's all good fun

Offline ezza

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »
I have two the old mans winchester pump action and a ansultz 1450 favorite is the 1450
and burnsy your license number will be the same as your drivers license unless you get it before your driving license  

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
I still have the Slazenger single shot  my dad gave me in 1985, don't use it much now but used to pick fleas off 'roos before they were dog tucker.  He gave me a Browning pump action to use when I left home to work at Charleville.  That is one beautiful little rifle.  Heavier than a lot of others but great to use.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 12:44:46 AM »
I still have the Slazenger single shot  my dad gave me in 1985, don't use it much now but used to pick fleas off 'roos before they were dog tucker.  He gave me a Browning pump action to use when I left home to work at Charleville.  That is one beautiful little rifle.  Heavier than a lot of others but great to use.

If your lucky enough to hold a Browning Pump in your collection and it's in a decent condition you might be pleasantly surprised if you got it valued.

I have a Winchester 94 lever action in 22 LR, I bought it in 1993 and it would be lucky to have seen maybe 250 rounds put through it. It has spent 98% of it life oiled, wrapped in a sheet and locked away. Still in excellent condition and thinking now it's too good to shoot, I prefer my CZ rimfires.

I have always wanted to own 1 x rimfire in every kind of action, I have a some bolt actions, a lever action, but no pump action .22. I think it would be nice to have one in the collection if they were not so expensive. My last .22 purchase was a Winchester Wild Cat which has Winchester wood stock and a barrel under license from the Russian brand Toz. I find it small like a carbine but for $450 including 4 x magazines, it's a great deal and shoots well.

Campfire

Offline Proudy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:47:58 AM »
My dad bought me my 1st .22 when I was 15 it's a Nirico he paid $99 for its the most accurate rifle I own. I now have several rifle's and the .22 still gets used all the time. Going hunting with my dad was the best time it's why I got into 4wding and camping. I will be teaching my son how to shoot with that .22 when he is a bit older.
Landcruiser 76 with lots of fruit

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 07:52:45 AM »
My dad bought me my 1st .22 when I was 15 it's a Nirico he paid $99 for its the most accurate rifle I own. I now have several rifle's and the .22 still gets used all the time. Going hunting with my dad was the best time it's why I got into 4wding and camping. I will be teaching my son how to shoot with that .22 when he is a bit older.

My young son tags along on my trips away rabbit shooting, he is a great little side kick for carrying bags and opening paddock gates.

CF

Offline Proudy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:09 AM »
Yeah my son comes out with me now but is a bit to small to hold the .22 a few more years and he should be right.
Landcruiser 76 with lots of fruit

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »
Just picked up a new Mossberg .22 the other day scoped, 10 shot mag, brand new for $250, I went looking for 2nd hand but why bother at that price for a new 1, nice and light weight and reasonably short in length so my kids can use it, they are snipers with their air rifle they got for Xmas, so this will improve them further as they won't go near my 243.
I also have a Husquvana .22 but it's missing the mag so is only a single shot :'(
22 magnum also, it's a nice little gun to, 410 also :cheers:
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
Another vote for the Lithgow. Long gone now. Got it for my 10th birthday. The ole man used to give me 5 rounds and would expect no less than 4 bunnies.

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
Just found a picture of my exact Lithgow from the powerhouse museum.  Makes me want to go and find another one.  I wonder if my old gun licence number would still work or whether your licence is voided once you have no guns on it?  Wishful thinking I know :'(

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=232850

Found another of the stock disk
http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/REL32492?image=2

This looks  very much like the Slazenger branded one in my earlier post.  Maybe like the imported CT's, they all look alike.

Campfire, we had a wheelbarrow load of those brownings  when I was a kid living outside Nyngan.  On a trip back to the station a ways back, dad thought he might pick up a couple and get them going, but all were badly damaged or lost by then, so he sourced the one he got me, don't know what he paid for it.  I remember several laying around the house and one in most vehicles so he must have got the bulk buy discount.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline gonfishen

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
My first .22 was a stirling/squibman that my father bought me from Farmers now Myres in Gorden (NSW), i suddenly feel very old
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
My first .22 was a stirling/squibman that my father bought me from Farmers now Myres in Gorden (NSW), i suddenly feel very old

Remeber when you could buy guns and ammunition in K-Mart ;D

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »
Remeber when you could buy guns and ammunition in K-Mart ;D

Yeah I remember that,

Crazy thing is back in high school for year 11 & 12 in the late 80's, one of the guys I knew actually had permission under strict conditions to bring his SKS to school for a couple of days  as he was making an adjustable bipod ( similar to the Harris bipods) for it for metal work class, it had the guts completely stripped out but the stock, barrel and trigger was still there and stayed locked under teacher control with his parents picking him up to take it home.  I remember it sittin on the floor near the tool board with the bipod on it he made. I was in the same metal work class and
didn't think much of it, but now if anybody did it, I suppose it would make national headlines now.

If anybody is really curious and wanted to know more PM me and I'll give you more details, it was a  High School ( Newcastle / Hunter Region).

Campfire

Campfire