Author Topic: QLD Local help required - Camping Areas South of Brendale  (Read 7238 times)

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
QLD Local help required - Camping Areas South of Brendale
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions on Camping areas south of Brendale from the myswag QLD locals (no more than 2 hour drive).  We will be picking up our new CT in 3 weeks and trying to find somewhere to stop for a night or two to check the CT over before making our way slowly back to NSW.

I did start looking in the Locations are but it was taking forever and I ended up cross-eyed google mapping the names of places.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Free camp or van parks.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
Re: QLD Local help required - Camping Areas South of Brendale
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:37 PM »
Hey Tammy,

Check out Spring Gully Stays or Sharp PARK/River Bend both close to Canungra , they are both nice and fairly cheap.  Both have toilets but neither have showers so you will need to take your own.

cheers

Pete

Offline Trish59au

• Swag User
  • He got the 24 year old I got the 4WD...fair swap!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
Hi Tammy,

You could go a bit north first to Caboolture and find Neurum Creek...haven't stayed there myself but have had some good reports and it is on our list.
http://www.ncbr.com.au/index.php
You could then take the New England Highway back down south, which is a nice drive  ;D
I lived near Brendal for twenty years and visit my sons often who live in Caboolture :)
Pat
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:04:03 AM by Trish59au »

100 series Landcruiser.
Tenting it for a while...looking for a camper that I can manage by myself.

Offline lockyer

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »
Hi Tammy,

"2 hours south" puts you either in or just past the Gold Coast, plenty of caravan parks on the GC (with prices to match), if you go west (2hrs) you will be near Somerset and Wivenhoe Dams and there is plenty of nice camp grounds with power and showers etc or site that are basic.
It is easy enough to head south from the dams if the camper doesn't have any problems.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:19:42 AM by lockyer »

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
Check out Spring Gully Stays or Sharp PARK/River Bend both close to Canungra , they are both nice and fairly cheap.  Both have toilets but neither have showers so you will need to take your own.

Thanks Pete, will check it out.  Got a shower in the new CT, may be a good time to see how it holds up  :cup:

You could go a bit north first to Caboolture and find Neurum Creek...haven't stayed there myself but have had some good reports and it is on our list.
http://www.ncbr.com.au/index.php
You could then take the New England Highway back down south, which is a nice drive  ;D
I lived near Brendal for twenty years and visit my sons often who live in Caboolture :)
Pat

Thanks Pat for the info, will google and see what it looks like, I can hear the sounds of the creek now  ;D

"2 hours south" puts you either in or just past the Gold Coast, plenty of caravan parks on the GC (with prices to match), if you go west (2hrs) you will be near Somerset and Wivenhoe Dams and there is plenty of nice camp grounds with power and showers etc or site that are basic.
It is easy enough to head south from the dams if the camper doesn't have any problems.
Hope it all goes well.

Thanks Lockyer, will check it out, do you know of any locations south west perhaps.  We've been told we need to keep as close as possible to a direct route back to NSW as the camper will have "trade plates" and will register once we get over the QLD/NSW border.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate the help.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »

Of course you could always read my BLOG!  I have a few close to the border and just over it.   ;D  Guess it depends on which way you want to go back to Mexico.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Of course you could always read my BLOG!  I have a few close to the border and just over it.   ;D  Guess it depends on which way you want to go back to Mexico.
Kit_e

LOL, thanks Kit_e, I did start looking at your blog but by that time my eyes crossed and couldn't focus.  You couldn't give me a couple of hints could you  :angel:

Will probably follow the coast but willing to go inland up to an hour for a great spot to stop  ;D

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
check out Darlington Park just out of Beaudesert... http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14661.0
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
check out Darlington Park just out of Beaudesert... http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14661.0

Thank you Rumpig, its now on the shortlist.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline camncass

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
Can also recommend

•Bigriggen Park camping area
•Flanagan Reserve camping area

check out this link and it will give you quite a few options in that area.

http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Queensland/Gold-Coast-and-Hinterland/Beaudesert/Darlington-Park-camping-area
2008 Lifestyle Camper
2007 Toyota Kluger

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Can also recommend

•Bigriggen Park camping area

check out this link and it will give you quite a few options in that area.

http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Queensland/Gold-Coast-and-Hinterland/Beaudesert/Darlington-Park-camping-area

Fantastic Camncass, thank you  ;D
Tammy and Jeff

Offline gu tourer

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »

X2 - Flanagans is a great spot!
One life, live it!

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »
X2 - Flanagans is a great spot!

Thank you gu tourer, Flanagans now on short list  ;D, short list is getting very long though  ???

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
If you are heading home maybe drive south to Beaudesert.

From Brendale, take Bracken Ridge Road east to the Gateway Motorway, head over the Gateway bridge, keep right at the M1/Gold Coast turnoff and follow the Gateway Motorway to Logan Motorway that heads to Ipswich and Toowoomba. 500 m after you get on the Logan Motorway, turn south to Beaudesert on Mt Lindsay Highway. Head straight south though Beaudesert and take the Duck Creek Road back road/track to O'Riellys. Check out this awesome place, do the treetops walk, have lunch or afternoon tea and then head for Canungra via the bitumen. Stop overnight at Sharp River Bend a couple of km out of Canungra and it will cost you all of $5 per person. Here's Macca, Brendon fro the Phillipines and I (from NewHilux forum) at Sharp River Bend kicking back before kicking the camp oven into gear.

The next morning pack up and head for Pebbly Beach in the South end of the Yuraguiar National Park just north of Coffs Harbour. Time your run with the low tide, drop onto the beach for a couple of km, and cross the tidal creek to the camp ground. You'll get your CT up the bank on the other side no worries.

I gotta thank the 4WD Action guys for showing me this place and here they are setting up for a cover shoot in a real campsite. Awesome hey!

The ranger will come around and collect your camping fees.

From here you are on our own to get home! (at low tide the next day... or the day after... 8))

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Awesome Rodw, another to the ever growing not so shortlist  ;D
Tammy and Jeff

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
Hi Spring Gully Stays have showers on one side with the on site camp huts but no shower on the bush camping side. I will be there on th 5-7 next month, I have been there a few times, it is a great place to go. Might see you there hey lol.

Rod.....
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Hi Spring Gully Stays have showers on one side with the on site camp huts but no shower on the bush camping side. I will be there on th 5-7 next month, I have been there a few times, it is a great place to go. Might see you there hey lol.

Rod.....

Hi Rod, this is another on my list already but we don't pick up the CT until the 8th.  Too many good choices may have to change location every day to sample everywhere  ;D

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline Ebo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 10:27:21 PM »
spring gully very nice , try also moogera dam
Trak Shak camper GU patrol

Offline Garreth

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
The next morning pack up and head for Pebbly Beach in the South end of the Yuraguiar National Park just north of Coffs Harbour. Time your run with the low tide, drop onto the beach for a couple of km, and cross the tidal creek to the camp ground. You'll get your CT up the bank on the other side

Hey Rodw

Are you sure you mean pebbly beach?
Pebbly beach in NSW seems to be close to batemans bay.

Garreth
2006 GU IV Patrol - 2008 Lifestyle Camper

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

Are you sure you mean pebbly beach?
Pebbly beach in NSW seems to be close to batemans bay.

Garreth
Pebbly Beach is in the Southern end of Yuraygir Nat. Park, between Grafton and Coffs harbour just North of Corindi

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
Thank you for the help everyone  :cheers:.

After consulting with the man decision made to head for Flanagans on the 8th for a couple of nights, then Darlington for a couple of nights then finish with Spring Gully Stays for 12, 13 and 14 before heading back to border on the Monday morning.

We also decided to wing it ( :D) through NSW on our way home.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »

After consulting with the man decision made to head for Flanagans on the 8th for a couple of nights, then Darlington for a couple of nights then finish with Spring Gully Stays for 12, 13 and 14 before heading back to border on the Monday morning.

Tammy
if you haven't done the drive before, be sure and do the Condamine Gorge drive as a day trip whilst your staying at Flanagans. do the gorge drive through to Kilarney and then head up to Queen Mary Falls, then take the alternate route home at the falls carpark, be sure to stop at the lookout on that run home. if you need more info of that drive just ask.
cheers

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »

Tammy

Your doing it the wrong way!  LOL!  Start with Spring Gully then do Darlington then Flanagans ... then head to the border via either Mt Lindsay Highway to Woodenbong then Kyogle or The Lions Road to Kyogle (very scenic).  Kyogle will take you back towards the coast near Ballina.  This will have you avoid the Gold Coast all together ... unless you actually want to go that way  ;D 

Also, if you like a good 4wd drive ... a few k's north of Darlington is Duck Creek Road (just north of Duck Creek if you can believe it).  Fantastic views south and west, a good picnic spot at the top and you end up at O'Reilly's.  Not a wet weather track though.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »
Your doing it the wrong way!  LOL!  Start with Spring Gully then do Darlington then Flanagans ... then head to the border via either Mt Lindsay Highway to Woodenbong then Kyogle or The Lions Road to Kyogle (very scenic).  Kyogle will take you back towards the coast near Ballina.  This will have you avoid the Gold Coast all together ... unless you actually want to go that way  ;D 

Also, if you like a good 4wd drive ... a few k's north of Darlington is Duck Creek Road (just north of Duck Creek if you can believe it).  Fantastic views south and west, a good picnic spot at the top and you end up at O'Reilly's.  Not a wet weather track though.

Kit_e
as mentioned above, be sure and drive Duck Creek Rd when camped out at Darlington Park, and head over the border via Lions Rd. both very nice scenic drives, though the Lions Rd is steep and windy where it crosses the border, so towing through there will give the tow vehicle a workout.

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »
Hi Kit_e and Rumpig,

Just talked to the Man and we have reversed our stops as suggested.  As we don't know the area we weren't sure whether is was possible to cross over to the NSW coast from Flanagans (google maps not very clear) and also not sure whether they would be roads or wombat trails.

Just trying to find Blue Slip guys so we can register the trailer once over the border.

Thanks for your suggestions and I may even be brave enough to do a 4wd track, I've never done it before and the Man is novice  ;D.

4 more days before we pick up our new toy  8).

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff