Author Topic: new car warranty  (Read 3428 times)

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
new car warranty
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
I was cleaning the car last month and I noticed that all the plastic (door handles, bumpers, spoilers and side skirts) was now a different shade of red to the metal parts. Went to the dealer and was told this is normal and not covered by warranty. Went to the importer and same story, paint fade not covered. I purchased the car new 2 yrs ago and has been garaged since i have had it and washed and waxed on a regular basis with quality products. Only period that I dont know how the car was looked after was the 12 months the importer and dealer had the car before I purchased it.
I was expecting some fade when buying a red car but not in 2 yrs, so obviously the 3 yrs warranty is worthless.
Then wego to our german engineered Audi, 7 months after we purchased it we had a stone crack the windscreen so
trotted down to windscreen o'briens. Before they start they check that the auto wipers are working by spraying water on the windscreen and as they did this they heard a knocking sound. Worked out the wipers were hitting the lip of the bonnet. This was all done in front of the wife so they replaced the windscreen and off we went to audi (same dealer as other car) who rejected it claiming windscreen obriens bent the wiper arm. Went to audi australia and same excuse. We had a stat dec noting that we found the problem before the windscreen was removed and the came back that the car underwent an inspection before leaving germany and before delivery and any issues would have been picked up with these.
I gave them a list of other issues that had been fixed under warranty but were missed in there inspections, not enough grease in steering colomn,  loose thread in steering wheel, warped speaker cover in dash (replaced 3 times) missing roof racks and a couple more things that I can't remember. Again more excuses and they refused to fix it so another wasted warranty, so frustrating and a pity as we like both cars .. anyhow that's my gripefor the day
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:44:48 PM by cancan »
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: new car warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »
I once had a Land Rover ........ there do you feel better  ;D
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »
As crooked as forty arabs on a bus. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. I freaking HATE car dealers. HATE HATE HATE.
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »
Quote from: Dion
I once had a Land Rover ........ there do you feel better  ;D
I'll see you a landrover and raise you....
I know a bloke who used to own a 95,000klm old ZD30, it went bang, got given the finger by Nissan, he traded it for a Landrover Freelander.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:12:35 PM »
I'll see you a landrover and raise you....
I know a bloke who used to own a 95,000klm old ZD30, it went bang, got given the finger by Nissan, he traded it for a Landrover Freelander.

Crikey.  Though I know this bloke who went from Freelander to Jeep Cherokee  ;D  Best move he ever made  ;D
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »
You've had a bugger of a time with that Q5. Both my Audi's were built in Ingolstadt and I never had a warranty problem. The Q5 is built in Maharashtra India, make of that what you will. I'm looking closely at the new diesel Touareg for the wife, ok a bit for me too :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
Our Q5 is German built, was first shipment to oz so could have changed now. My car is a Fiat so should hae expected issues but outside of the Paint has been flawless.
Have been looking for a replacement for the Audi but nothing ticks all the boxes yet and it is fun to drive, just annoying little issues
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
I know someone that just went from a Jeep Cherokee to a Prado. Best move we made.  :laugh: It was getting to expensive to be different. :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
Are you sure the plastic parts have faded and have not always been a different colour that you have only just noticed now?

I have worked in the smash repair industry for over 20 years and in this time i have noticed that all makes and models have mismatched plastic parts (some very minor and others quite noticeable).

The mismatched parts are mainly due to two reasons.

Firstly with most models the body shell is painted on the factory production line by a robot and the plastic parts are painted usually off site in a spray booth by hand using a separate batch of paint.

Secondly most paints will reflect differently on plastic rather than metal especially if it has a metallic or pearlescent flake. This is mainly to do with the electric charges in metal and plastic parts being different, and this affects the metallic or pearlescent flake by changing the angle that the flake will sit, which in turn causes light to reflect differently on different angles giving the impression or a faded, brighter, dirtier or cleaner look.

It is amazing how many people don't realize the paint colour differences until they have owned the car for a while.

Just my 2c worth
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Are you sure the plastic parts have faded and have not always been a different colour that you have only just noticed now?

I have worked in the smash repair industry for over 20 years and in this time i have noticed that all makes and models have mismatched plastic parts (some very minor and others quite noticeable).

The mismatched parts are mainly due to two reasons.

Firstly with most models the body shell is painted on the factory production line by a robot and the plastic parts are painted usually off site in a spray booth by hand using a separate batch of paint.

Secondly most paints will reflect differently on plastic rather than metal especially if it has a metallic or pearlescent flake. This is mainly to do with the electric charges in metal and plastic parts being different, and this affects the metallic or pearlescent flake by changing the angle that the flake will sit, which in turn causes light to reflect differently on different angles giving the impression or a faded, brighter, dirtier or cleaner look.

It is amazing how many people don't realize the paint colour differences until they have owned the car for a while.

Just my 2c worth

Not wanting to Hijack the thread but that explains why we were parked behind two falcons and a camry at traffic lights the other day, all 3 cars were silver and all looked as though they had dodgy repairs to panels...  At least two different shades of silver on all three cars, looked like a silver paint patchwork quilt

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
Not wanting to Hijack the thread but that explains why we were parked behind two falcons and a camry at traffic lights the other day, all 3 cars were silver and all looked as though they had dodgy repairs to panels...  At least two different shades of silver on all three cars, looked like a silver paint patchwork quilt

:cheers:
Dave

Actually the weirdest thing is cars that have a sharp creaseline vertically up the back bumper/tailgate (e.g. new Mazda3).  It looks like the car is two different shades!

2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda