Author Topic: Cooktops for camper trailers  (Read 19036 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Cooktops for camper trailers
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
Lookin round for a 4 burner. Found this one here and it looks the goods like I want.
http://www.marvo.com.au/products.php?product=Hob-8-Series-4-Burner-%26-Gill .

Firstly anyone got this style/size and how do you find it?

Second, anyone used this dealer? Their prices are $140-150 cheaper than anywhere else I have found as theirs comes with the Grill (which I dont want) which is 130 usually on its own. I'm a bit concerned about handing over $ as alarm bells usually ring when theres no phone number obviously listed on a website (I finally found one hidden on their Privacy page)and no address of any form only a PO Box. And their phone number on their site is different to the one listed on many other pages. EG: http://www.startlocal.com.au/auto/boatyachtequip/qld_goldcoast/Marine_RV_Online_1909578.html

Domain whois gets Registrant GLOBAL WATER CORPORATION I finally found an email address from them (had to register then they send you instant email) with the return address of XXXX@globalwatercorp.com.au ???? thats the second alarm.

And this "Global Water Corporation" sounds as ****in dodgey as a pyramid scheme going on their awesome website. The logo looks like it was done in MSPaint.. Awesome for a "Global" corp.

EG: "An alumni of Indian Institute of Management (IIM-C), Donn S. Kabiraj was conferred “LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD” – for his contribution to the Bottled Water Industry in India" [img]http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-discussion-18/marine-rv-online-ormeau-62548/general-discussion-18/marine-rv-online-ormeau-62548/general-discussion-18/marine-rv-online-ormeau-62548/general-discussion-18/marine-rv-online-ormeau-62548/general-discussion-18/marine-rv-online-ormeau-62548/ thats the third...

So wanna know if anybody has dealt with them... or anyone got contacts for this sorta gear?

thanks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:24:10 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cooktops for camper trailers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »
Lost,

I have a Spinflo four burner stove and grill, which appears very similar to the one in your link.  Whilst it has been a good stove overall, having four burners that close together means you can never utilize them all at the same time.  If I had a choice I would choose a stove which perhaps had less burners which were spaced out a bit.  Perhaps two burners at the back and one larger one at the front.  The flame on the burners are also very effected by any sort of breeze/wind, having a very soft flame.  I have installed a so called hi-flo jet ($20.00 from Spinflo) in one of the burners, but can't notice the difference between it and the rest.  I've also drilled out one of the jets to achieve a larger flame, and this has worked to some degree, but I may have gone a little too large with the drill.  Boils the kettle quick on this burner though.

Just something to think about when narrowing down your choices. ???

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:48:15 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Lost,
I have a Spinflo four burner stove and grill, which appears very similar to the one in your link.  Whilst it has been a good stove overall, having four burners that close together means you can never utilize them all at the same time.  If I had a choice I would choose a stove which perhaps had less burners which were spaced out a bit.

Perhaps two burners at the back and one larger one at the front.  The flame on the burners are also very effected by any sort of breeze/wind, having a very soft flame.  I have installed a so called hi-flo jet ($20.00 from Spinflo) in one of the burners, but can't notice the difference between it and the rest.  I've also drilled out one of the jets to achieve a larger flame, and this has worked to some degree, but I may have gone a little too large with the drill.  Boils the kettle quick on this burner though.

Just something to think about when narrowing down your choices. ???
I agree with needing to be spaced apart. Thats why I was lookin at this one.

I had a look at it at mates place on his new Tru Blu. It was an “option”.  It also has the 3 sided barrier that is here http://www.trublucampers.com.au/sites/default/files/kitchen3.jpg Tim used it well in Flinders without an issue. So maybe check out the 3 sided cover thingy. The high flow jets thing is interesting. Kiwi from TB said they weren’t the best cooktop, and took ages to heat a billy. 

*IM SO CONFUSED*

To me so far, this top seems to be the only one with *ANY* room between burners. I've had a look at the Smev range, but the burners are about 2inches apart. Not sure what other brand there is.
I've had a look at the Lido today at Carac, but again - tiny. They did have one more brand there, but they were worth diamonds.
Shame the caravan camping show is on a long weekend ? Got a new members Campertrailer trip on that weekend or I’d go spending!!

Thanks for the heads up
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
Yeah we have the wind barrier for ours as well, and yes the normal or even Hi-flo jets take forever to boil a billy.  Our stove area is exposed to the wind most of the time, as we rarely put the awning roof over, and even less often put anex walls up.

Not sure how many you will be cooking for, but it still will get very congested on that stove.

We have a BBQ plate which we put across two of the burner, and there is very little room to boil any pots of any size on the remaining two.

I'll post up picks of the Plate if you are interested.  Maybe with a kettle beside it to give you some idea of what I'm talking about.  A picture tells a thousand words as they say.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
Yeah we have the wind barrier for ours as well, and yes the normal or even Hi-flo jets take forever to boil a billy.  Our stove area is exposed to the wind most of the time, as we rarely put the awning roof over, and even less often put anex walls up.

Not sure how many you will be cooking for, but it still will get very congested on that stove.

We have a BBQ plate which we put across two of the burner, and there is very little room to boil any pots of any size on the remaining two.
I'll post up picks of the Plate if you are interested.  Maybe with a kettle beside it to give you some idea of what I'm talking about.  A picture tells a thousand words as they say.
yea that would be kewl
I was wondering about a "Plate" over 2 burners to cook steaks/fish etc on, and then use the other to boil peas/carrots/etc on...

I know there is no perfect solution...  Cooking for 4, and I like a big steak :P
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
This'll give you some idea of the space.  With a normal frypan on, there is very little room at all.  With the BBQ plate there is a bit of room but not a lot.

My BBQ plate is a little long, but is just the right width.  I have plans of either making a smaller one or cutting this one down.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
You think yours is bad?  ;D ??? ??? ;D

Thats mass acreage compared to the Smev range! It looks like the best option for an inbuilt cooktop. it aint too bad on the last few photos. I'll just need a plate like yours.....  

Any other ideas? A 3 burner with space would be acceptable... I dont want the grill either...

Idea how much yours was? that price up top there is so massively cheap compared to all others. If they are legit, I'll be buying Monday and gettin hooked Friday. Trailer is plumbed already

The only smev I've seen with space is this one in UK http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatalog/smev-4-burner-hob.html but looks exactly like yours.

any other brands out there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:23:44 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
This is the cooktop out of an Australian Off Road Camper.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »
This is the cooktop out of an Australian Off Road Camper.
Id wanna see one in person but the left 2 look on top of each other. but yea too confused now.

Will call the joint up top on monday.. best price I've seen without the Grill is 500!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:54:39 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
The only problem with the ones on the above links are that they are designed for home use. The caravan specific cooktops have the burners screwed down so they can't dislodge. Normal domestic cooktop burners just sit in place and will come off afte the slightest bump in the road.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
The only problem with the ones on the above links are that they are designed for home use. The caravan specific cooktops have the burners screwed down so they can't dislodge. Normal domestic cooktop burners just sit in place and will come off afte the slightest bump in the road.

The ones on my Spinflo only sit there.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
The ones on my Spinflo only sit there.
I think he means the whole unit. They screw in dont they? That would be Shit if they dont...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
The caravan specific cooktops have the burners screwed down so they can't dislodge. Normal domestic cooktop burners just sit in place and will come off after the slightest bump in the road.

Sixtys Guy is probably the one to ask.

Yes the Spinflo cook top is screwed down.
No the Spinflo burners aren't screwed down.

** Lost you may want to check the first of the two links in Reply #10 above.  My internet security is warning against opening that site.**
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:50:04 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
Sixtys Guy is probably the one to ask.

Yes the Spinflo cook top is screwed down.
No the Spinflo burners aren't screwed down.

** Lost you may want to check the first of the two links in Reply #10 above.  My internet security is warning against opening that site.**
fine here, also fine at neighbours place
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
High budget graphics for a global corp?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:12:03 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
I meant the burners. I was sure the spinflo burners were screwed down? Thats poor if they don't.

Apart from the space issue the other problem with spinflo is that the heat output is poor - around 5MJ/h each. I use the Lido Jr which has one 5MJ/h burner and one 8MJ/h burner. We also use a single wok burner which is 13.5MJ/h - great for BBQ and wok cooking.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
Fwiw, I scored a used 4 burner like I was looking for off bigjules. No fuss, simple deal - how they all should be. Much thanks for the deal :)

Stainless Kitchen is gettin built at moment by Kiwi, with new sink, and all shiney. Photos once completed.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 01:06:37 PM »
Nice work Lost! I look forward to seeing how your flash new stainless kitchen comes out - F.A.N.C.Y!

We've got one of the 2-burner Smev stoves in our kitchen - it's good, although it could cope with a bit more space between the burners. That 3 burner one, I would hazard a guess, would end up with not many hours on the middle burner!  ;D We often to Gunna Do's trick of putting a small cast iron BBQ plate over one of the burners direct - seems to work well. Don't think I've got a good photo of it though.

Agreed on the Global Water Corp setup - looks very dodgy indeed. Although I wouldn't rubbish their logo too hard - I've known some professionally designed big $$$ logos to come out not looking much better...  ???

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
Nice work Lost! I look forward to seeing how your flash new stainless kitchen comes out - F.A.N.C.Y!

I'd be happy with this inc the splashback :) :)

We've got one of the 2-burner Smev stoves in our kitchen - it's good, although it could cope with a bit more space between the burners.

thats what put the kybosh on them for me.. I like a steak - I mean I like a REAL sized steak :) but you cant cook for the rest of the family then at same time.

We often to Gunna Do's trick of putting a small cast iron BBQ plate over one of the burners direct - seems to work well. Don't think I've got a good photo of it though.

Come on, you know you wanna take a couple :) I wanna do this with ours.

Agreed on the Global Water Corp setup - looks very dodgy indeed. Although I wouldn't rubbish their logo too hard - I've known some professionally designed big $$$ logos to come out not looking much better...  ???
I need a job doing them!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:55:57 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
I'd be happy with this inc the splashback :) :)

Well gave Kiwi the photo, the cooktop, and this is it so far

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »
Looks great Bird! Plenty of room between the burners and a square sink, just what you want.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
Looks great Bird! Plenty of room between the burners and a square sink, just what you want.
Yup, with the extended top on the right hand side, its now got shedloads..
now I need one of them hotplates that someone posted photos of somewhere.. now where was it....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »
Now THAT is cool! Nice work! Absolutely awesome. Big fan of the splashback bent up like that - very easy to clean. Well done.

Are you getting a swing-over bench extension as well? Worthwhile if you can. If you can, I'd also suggest having an aluminium lower shelf bent up if your budget stretches. The neatest one I've ever seen was here (half way down) - http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10250.0). Really useful, and quite a simple thing to include.

Do you know what the frame of the kitchen is made out of? Steel, or aluminium? I need to build one for someone else, and wanted to go with a welded steel frame, but was concerned that it might end up too heavy to swing off the tailgate. But I can't weld alloy at home, so it's probably a moot point.

My apologies - I just noticed that you'd asked for some photos of the bbq plate on the burner - I'll grab one the week if I can shift the trailer out into the yard (roof post 10cm behind the tailgate - now with extra bends in the middle from overenthuastic pushing of the camper!). It's just a small rectangular cast-iron plate from the local camping shop. Works well, but just needs to be a bit wider/narrower/something - it just doesn't sit right on the burner.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.