Author Topic: First Aid courses  (Read 4853 times)

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
First Aid courses
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
The subject of First Aid for all the obvious reasons seams to be always topical in most forums relating to outdoors pursuits.....most recommendations always lead to "Do a First Aid Course"........

So I am guessing with the considerable members within the extended MYSWAG family we would have a number of accredited First Aid instructors teaching for a variety of First Aid providers all over the country......

So......what about it........is the interest there MYSWAG members......have we got First Aid instructors out their who will provide their time to undertake a course for MYSWAGers.

Undertake a Senior First Aid, Apply First Aid, Level 2 course, what ever you chose to call it, with some expansion on some more camping related situations........make a MYSWAG weekend out of it.......walk away with a workcover approved accredited First Aid course valid for 3 years at "MYSWAG Mates Rates".

What are your thought guys ???

I will throw my hat in the ring and could run one at Guyra, NSW.......have access to a venue with camping within a couple hundred metres walk.

Cheers

Chris
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: First Aid courses
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
Do-able, and it would be easy to customise a course relevant to the bush and camping (more on snakebite, less on childbirth ;D).  Timing & venues are flexible.
Have to think about how much it would cost.  

40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
if people in Melbourne are interested they could do one at our premises in Lilydale.
Our instructors are ex ambo instructors and first response personnel with vast experience of the reality of both the bush and car accidents.
so let us know if it is of interest.
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline OzJeeper

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
Chuck me in the mix with GLC at Lillydale if wished.

but......

I can cover West and East Gippslanders with a smattering from the eastern Melbourne suburbs as well.  For this type of course it will need to be a two day course (my call) as I used to run the "Four Wheelers First Aid" years ago and found the 2 days are needed to get the detail in for remote area stuff.  Can train anywhere as I am self-contained, including a generator so a campfire weekend can be arranged. Suggest a campsite and lets do it!   I am a retired paramedic so (I think) I know my stuff.  Now a part time - full time trainer.
Maximum would be 18 students all up and each will get a HLTFA301C Apply First Aid certificate, text book to take home and lots of knowledge. Normally a 2 day course would be (shop around) $180.00 but I will do the 2 days for the price of a one day unit (shop around) at $99.00

There!  That's my bit done....

Cheers
Ross
It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
got to admit at that price it would definitely be a cheap course:)  I assume that you are actually training to HLTFA301B though I did notice that some other companies are quoting the hltfa301c???  not sure why though as this is not actually an AQTF or even VRQA recognised course??

However first aid should always be offered over at least 2 days as this meets the nominal hours required by the AQTF, and yes I know there are several companies providing certificates as a lot of people think it is the Qualification not the education that is important.  How they expect to fit close on 50 units into 1 day absolutely baffles me.

Which brings us to the price point you suggested, there are many places doing 2 days for 180 I have even seen them offer a 2 day for under 100.00, but (and I certainly am not saying this about yourself, I do not know you and hope any Ambo would be trying to get first aiders trained in more than traffic duty;)) the reality is that you get what you pay for. 

The amount of students we get through our facility that have done course on the cheap before only to get 1 mannequin amongst 5 or worse is incredible.  I personally believe if you cant give a student a full body mannequin per student then you are depriving them of the opportunity to learn as effectively as you could.

The added bonus that we have fully computerised mannequins is a great reality check for people, bit like getting a tune on your Troopy, they do it whilst it is sitting still and you hope it will work well under low gear downhill, whereas you get it dyno tuned and you know it is going to work.

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
Supa, whilst I have a current CPR certificate, I'd be interested in your course. Though, can we do it when it is a bit warmer?!? Guyra was a bit cool when I travelled through there the other day!!

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
I am very keen and Lillydale would be perfect.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
If people are interested I will open up a booking sheet specifically for myswaggies perhaps aim to conduct it after the footy, beginning of October so that people are fresh for the holidays?

Offline OzJeeper

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
Out come the knives and commercial viability.......We got asked for mates rates.

The Black and White mob do the sausage factory thing and get you through in one day as a novice (but you know that if you are in the game) and get the student to do a workbook (8 hours study ) and a day of practical.  But now I am doing what your post alludes to - running down the competition.....

So I will just leave my post as it is and anyone on here who has been with the old VAFWDC will be aware of my background and training ability.  I will simply give the members on here the option to do a weekend away and learn some fun stuff.  I am NOT an RTO but a contract trainer and will auspice out certificates.  The "dollar" does not rein supreme here for me, just keeping people safe.

With the new ARC guidelines and the AQTF changes it is now HLTFA301C

My last post here in this section/subject.  Back to you folks....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:51:31 PM by OzJeeper »
It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
No knives directed at yourself.  Way to new here to be taking a stab at someone I don't know:)  I was simply pointing out that as yet I am unaware of any change that has been approved by the AQTF and doing a search with course search through the NTIS show no changes that have been proposed.  When I was talking with John Dunton back in June he didn't mention this change either?
As to the black and white brigade yes they have their issues as do a lot of the RTO's, the 1 day course is definetly the way to be making money in a world with little time.  AS with you I don't agree that first aid can be taught in 1 day, this idea of sending people a test that they then work through together in class is an absolute croc.
I stated that your course appeared cheap, and no I cant commercially match that, but yes of course I would be doing the course at a major discount, this is what these forums are about helping each other, not trying to find an argument where there is none.

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
Oh and by the way on the commercial side of things, First aid for us is not a commercial enterprise, we make our money from selling kits.  This is why we can run a course with only one person in the course, we will never cancel a course (except in state/national emergencies).  We have had people wanting to start work in the mines, go on caravanning trips or simply because they thought it was a good idea do a full 2 day course where we lost money hand over fist.  For a course to be viable for us we need to have 8 people enrolled, this covers the cost of the trainer, and goes towards the running costs.  So please don't hint that I am only after the money. I am after one thing only, first aiders to start to be able to get some of the same respect and confidence through training that I experienced when I did my first course in 74 (Courses were a lot longer then and we had to show our abilities in front of a doctor)

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:10 AM »
SUPA105, this is a great idea, and it wouldn't matter if it was a two day course, one day course or half day course, so long as the participant came away from the weekend with some basic First Aid knowledge they would be far better off.

Personally, I wouldn't give a hoot if I didn't get a certificate, so long as I gained a little bit of current practice first aid knowledge I would be happy.  Even if the instructor only touched on a particular section (eg. snake bite treatment) on the day, something which is relevant to camping, and this information was put across in an informal manner, and was also suitable for the kids to learn from.  We all cart around first aid kits, perhaps even an inspection and suggestion session by the instructor would be a good thing.

My vote would be for a camping weekend, set aside a couple of hours in the morning, and perhaps a couple in the afternoon for the information sessions (I'll call it this rather than a course so we don't upset anyone), and all the family members can join in and maybe learn something.

I would rather attend this style of information session, rather than a regimented course.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »
if there is anyone in the valley interested i can run a medical uses for super glue course. Just bring a sharp knife and a tube of super glue.

Living the Dream.

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »
Gunna Do,  You might be on to a great idea with a informal approach without the constraints of a certificated course, getting the family involved and take the cost out of the equation, but why stop with first aid.

Look at the Formal Qualifications we must have within the Forum, and other subjects we could have an awareness weekend on ??? Basic Vehicle daily trip inspections, Communications, Chainsaws, Basic vehicle/ Camper recovery, Topographic Mapping, Basic GPS the list goes on.

As we would not be doing a Certificated first aid course I could throw in a few adhoc subjects that can relate to First Aid in remote / camping situations like rescue Helicopter landing area requirments and awareness, improvised manual handling techniques etc.

We could all leave the weekend with a better awarness of our prefered outdoors lifestyle.

Duchess, It's quiet tropical here today.....made it to 6 degrees in still air.....but the wind was at about 15 K's out of the S/W....so make that 2 degrees....

Cheers
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Ok guys the course is up on our web site, those people who read this and were looking forward to the course, I have followed your suggestions and have made it the weekend FOLLOWING the GF so the course will be on 8th and 9th of October, I have asked a trainer on our staff with a lot of country experience to conduct the course for you.  He has more experience with accidents and snake bites than any bloke should have.

Cost: those on here book in for the day 1 course and we will include the second day free of charge, the course is certified so if you are looking for something to add to your resume then this will be a great help.  You will cover our normal certified course as well as a little bit extra on 'what to do if' scenarios.

the bookings are limited, I don't cram courses and first in will of course secure their places whilst others will miss out.  Course size is only 16.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
Love to do the course but that is the camper show and Bathurst weekend
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
darn your right, so used to the GF being 2 weeks before Bathurst. 

ok i already have a person booked in for that weekend, they have been waiting patiently for the course to be announced, BUT if they are willing to go with the following week we will transfer them across and if there is sufficient interest.  I am happy to do the course either weekend, just need to chat with my trainer of choice for all the myswaggers (1 g or 2 g's????).

because it will be full on it wont be like having the tv in the corner sort of experience, we will ensure that you can deal with most issues you are likely to experience.

thankyou again for everyones interest:)

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
just heard from the person who had already booked.  They are unable to change that date so we will be staying with the published date.  We dont cancel bookings and we dont put people out once they are booked in.  Whether we have 1 person or the full 16 the course is always run once booked.
We look forward to seeing you there:)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Good on you GLC - that's a great deal, and a great way to get involved in the forum! If I was closer, I'd definitely be interested in coming along, unfortunately the commute counts me out  ;D.

Likewise, good on Ross for offering to give this a spin as well. Appreciate you guys being willing to take the time to share your knowledge.

Like GD, I'm not fussed on getting a formal qualification (although if you do the work, it's always nice to get the piece of paper), but I know I'm deficient in first aid experience (likewise chainsaw usage - sometimes the two cross-over...) and would like to rectify it some time soon.

Great idea Supa!!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »
Was thinking if you are in Victoria I could send a trainer to you. Then noticed your in Cairns, think I might do that one lol.;) keep thinking about that chainsaw and wondering if you have been 'bitten' yet or just darn close 8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:54:21 PM by GLC »

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
10 days left before the inaugural first aid course for my swaggers is run, looking forward to it:)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
Was thinking if you are in Victoria I could send a trainer to you. Then noticed your in Cairns, think I might do that one lol.;) keep thinking about that chainsaw and wondering if you have been 'bitten' yet or just darn close 8)
Come on up! The weather's perfect at the moment!  8)

Fortunately no chainsaw-related "issues" yet, just very respectful of them. After spending some time clearing a mate's property, it drove home how many "little things" he knew that were potential life-savers, that are obvious once someone points them out. So couple that with the fact that I'm quite accident-prone, and you've got a potential recipe for disaster...  ;D

Good luck with your first course - I still think it's a wonderful thing for swaggers to get along to.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.