Author Topic: Batten Down the Hatches Qld  (Read 81957 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Batten Down the Hatches Qld
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:12 AM »
Smashed overnight apparently...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
Yep, power off for hours, heavy pots on the veranda blown over and a tree over the fence.

Of course it happened 4 hours after I drove out the gate >:(

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
Monthly gum tree stress test is now complete, please go about your business.

Offline tomo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
hi
Only your typical storm in Nth Qld  bitsa rain bitsa  thunder . Try power outages for at least 1wk upto 3wk
Once again SE Qld ,,,,  Yawn !!!!

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
No issues here. Wouldn't even know there'd been a storm... We seem to get lucky that way - when there's a lot of rain the parks near us flood, but anytime there's strong winds, hail, etc. it thankfully goes around us.

Sounds like some other suburbs got hit pretty hard... I saw photos of powerlines down etc. on the south side.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Smashed overnight apparently...
we just got 80kh winds and abit of rain at our place...there's a few areas still without power currently, coppers doing traffic light duty at Sleeman Sports Complex as I went past a half hour ago. Redland Bay recorded 114kph winds, out Boonah and Beaudesert way had tennis ball sized hail...just depends where you live as to how bad you copped it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Back on line after 30hrs no power. Fairly savage wind with a couple of gum trees at home snapped off up high, but not a lot of water with it.

Lost the contents of the fridge, but managed to save most of the freezer contents by utilizing the camping fridges as a freezer. No power = no water for us (tanks & pumps), so bucket baths for a couple of nights............just like camping  :D

It's summer, it storms, the power goes off................plenty of people with bigger problems more worthy of attention than my defrosted ice cream. The TV news likes to beat up a frenzy bigger than the actual storm. I remember after a smallish cyclone (cat 2)in NQ once, all the friends and family ringing in a panic to check on our welfare after seeing the reports on the telly. We were confused cause the biggest concern in the town was the shade sail at the pub got damaged ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
It's summer, it storms, the power goes off................plenty of people with bigger problems more worthy of attention than my defrosted ice cream. The TV news likes to beat up a frenzy bigger than the actual storm. I remember after a smallish cyclone (cat 2)in NQ once, all the friends and family ringing in a panic to check on our welfare after seeing the reports on the telly. We were confused cause the biggest concern in the town was the shade sail at the pub got damaged ?

Particularly early days after I moved to Queensland I'd have family from back home in Victoria call me all the time when there was a storm anywhere in QLD. I don't think they realised that a) its a HUGE state, and b) storms happen all the time up here in summer, we deal with them and move on. Some of them are nasty, but most are hyped up more than they are worthy of considering their frequency...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:13 PM »
Particularly early days after I moved to Queensland I'd have family from back home in Victoria call me all the time when there was a storm anywhere in QLD. I don't think they realised that a) its a HUGE state, and b) storms happen all the time up here in summer, we deal with them and move on. Some of them are nasty, but most are hyped up more than they are worthy of considering their frequency...

'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Back on line after 30hrs no power.

No power = no water for us (tanks & pumps), so bucket baths for a couple of nights............just like camping  :D

We only had 10 hours without power, but it dropped out right as I finished cutting, grinding and welding a heap of steel brackets in the shed.

Washing off all that metal dust and sweat (38 degrees in the shed all day) in my bucket and cup shower was not a great way to end my weekend.

But nothing we haven’t been through many times before.... ;)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
Back on line after 30hrs no power. Fairly savage wind with a couple of gum trees at home snapped off up high, but not a lot of water with it.

Lost the contents of the fridge, but managed to save most of the freezer contents by utilizing the camping fridges as a freezer. No power = no water for us (tanks & pumps), so bucket baths for a couple of nights............just like camping  :D

It's summer, it storms, the power goes off.
[quote author=Pete79 link=topic=48770

Washing off all that metal dust and sweat (38 degrees in the shed all day) in my bucket and cup shower was not a great way to end my weekend.

But nothing we haven’t been through many times before.... ;)

On our old house in NSW Blue Mts that I built and lived in for 30 years had tank water / septic etc, we would often experience large wind storms that would result in power outages for days.My suggestion from that experience is that the best purchase you can make is a genie. I had a 4.5 Kva Honda genie.
My set up included a bypass on the kitchen rinnai gas hot water heater ( had 2 hot water heaters for house) to allow hot water to bathroom. Genie to run water pump, septic pump and air blower and fridge and  rinnai heater electronics. Originally gas lanterns for lights but towards end I installed a few LED strip lights wired back to a battery that I would keep charged. Gas cooking, fire place for warmth and we where happy self sufficient campers.
The best thing the power company did in our area was change street mains from single wires for each phase to a bundle cable resulting in fewer local outages, but this didn't help if it was the high voltage lines that failed.
Now I'm in Brisbane my only concern is the septic and fridge and again the gas heater that services the "granny flat" bathroom. I now can just get the van genie going to power up those items.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
Got in home with day light this arvo and realised that I dodged a bullet. Our van, camper trailer and box trailer are parked down the back surrounded by trees. Today I noticed that after Sundays night storm I had 2 trees where the crowns had snapped and fallen into each other but have not come down. Directly beneath these trees are the said trailers. So I relocated the trailers and will work out how to remove the trees. Lucky I guess.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
This is our home setup for a 6kva genset (tested output 5.6 kva). 15 A plug and runs the whole house easily. We do cook on the deck with gas appliances normally anyway so don't use the electric stove, microwave or kettle with the genny. Throw the billy on the wok ring for a cuppa.
We have two full size 'fridges, a three quarter size stand up freezer, beer fridge on deck and the 40 litre Engel and run all, no problems plus the pump for house water, lights, 'puter and if necessary, the telly.
Genny has AVR.
The board was installed professionally.
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 05:48:12 AM »
70mm of rain here overnight and still hosing down....gunna be flooding occurring in lots of areas around Brisbane today.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »
70mm of rain here overnight and still hosing down....gunna be flooding occurring in lots of areas around Brisbane today.

Yes. 170 mm at my brothers place just out of Gympie yesterday. Creeks are all busting their banks around him.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
Yes. 170 mm at my brothers place just out of Gympie yesterday. Creeks are all busting their banks around him.

3rd rain day in a row for me today and next Wednesday looks to be the 1st day I'll be back at work.

No money coming is gunna break me, i'm finding with no income, i'll have to cut back to 3 meals a day.

I might have to break out the snorkel and flippers and start mowing anyway.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 07:20:46 AM »
Sun is out and only had 4mm last night.
Doesn’t bother me though, water tanks are full and garden is green, don’t really need 100mm+ around here.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
From midnight.
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline Cyclone71

• Swag User
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
Nice weather station Steffo what brand is it Mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
We got just what we needed and not too much more.

3mm from Midnight Friday till now.
67mm Thursday/Friday
63mm Wednesday/Thursday
40mm Tuesday/Wednesday
26mm Monday/Tuesday

The creek is flowing beautifully, the gardens are loving it and the 30 odd tube stock natives that I planted in the last couple of weeks just got a kick along.

Sun is out now, all smiles here. :)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Nice weather station Steffo what brand is it Mate

It's an Acurite. It drops it's info into the desktop when scheduled. Has a wireless connected outside sensor. There are better ones on the market but this covered my needs.
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

The following users thanked this post: V8ute

Offline Cyclone71

• Swag User
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
It's an Acurite. It drops it's info into the desktop when scheduled. Has a wireless connected outside sensor. There are better ones on the market but this covered my needs.

Thanks Mate might look into one

Cheers

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2018, 07:03:48 AM »
Maybe this should be in the rant thread...........but where has all the bloody rain gone.

The the reporters in raincoats said would be flogging down all week-end, so I rushed out early yesterday and hired a plugger, cored the whole yard, and spread 100kg of fertilizer.....raced around like a madman to have it all done by lunchtime to be ready for the wrath of god type rains that paul blerty blert said wold be coming........................................and not a frikkin drop yesterday. get up this morning..............blue sky's and sunshine  >:(  >:(  >:(

sorry SEQ, but if today is the start of a 100 year drought, it's all my fault.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:06:04 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »
Maybe this should be in the rant thread...........but where has all the bloody rain gone.

The the reporters in raincoats said would be flogging down all week-end, so I rushed out early yesterday and hired a plugger, cored the whole yard, and spread 100kg of fertilizer.....raced around like a madman to have it all done by lunchtime to be ready for the wrath of god type rains that paul blerty blert said wold be coming........................................and not a frikkin drop yesterday. get up this morning..............blue sky's and sunshine  >:(  >:(  >:(

sorry SEQ, but if today is the start of a 100 year drought, it's all my fault.
that's why you don't go by what tv news says...Thursday night Weatherzone forum said rain would ease / stop Saturday morning and if the sun was out there was a chance of a storm occurring in the afternoon, any rain would likely be up Sunny Coast and down the Goldy and into NSW which is what happened, they also said today is a chance of a storm this afternoon. The problem with much of tv news is, they take SEQ's forecast and report it to being Brisbane alone.