Author Topic: Batten Down the Hatches Qld  (Read 81964 times)

Offline BBull

• Tent User
Re: Batten Down the Hatches Qld
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
With a bit of luck, going by the radar they may have dodged a fair bit more heavy rain today.. Wont help the poor buggers already under much though .
The problem with the radar is it only shows what's falling now, not what is coming.

Offline Niley

• Tent User
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
i'd assume the concerns with Wivenhoe were real.... it wasn't that long ago really (about 20 years maybe) that they discovered the dam wall wasn't properly anchored to the bedrock below, and that if some of the earth started washing away beside it that the entire wall could possibly turn sideways. From what i was told (by a family member engineer involved with it)  they ended up drilling holes down through the spillway into the bedrock below and post tensioned reo into it

Ross River Dam had Dam strengthening done about 6 or 7 years ago with tensioned ground anchors that have been installed to allow load checks every 5 years, this occurred last year. Most dams in Oz are always under constant review under ANCOLD to ensure they meet the ever changing compliance, ie 1 in 1000 year flood events. The same did and does apply with Wivenhoe and many other dams throughout oz. Company I work for recently completed upgrades to Boondooma and Lesley Harrison. Somerset will be next with a Shit load of anchors to be installed to meet ANCOLD standards, hence why Somerset has been sitting at 80% over the past 2 years.
Some dams have fuse plugs, ie Dam walls away from the main Dam that can be blown to relieve pressure on the Dam with big floods as a last resort. Think Wivenhoe needs to go to 210% for this to occur and if it ever has to those downstream would cop it. Unfortunately RRD can on rely on the spillway gates and if the water overtops the wall (higly unlikely) then its major.
Landcruiser Prado & ?????

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
Photo of Idalia in Townsville. My old house, now an investment property, is circled.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »
Interestingly, a lot of the area in Idalia & Annandale that flooded with the dam gates open fully was wetlands 20 years ago.  Now new estates with up-market houses, new shopping centres......
who let them build there?......the council of course.... ???

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Interestingly, a lot of the area in Idalia & Annandale that flooded with the dam gates open fully was wetlands 20 years ago.  Now new estates with up-market houses, new shopping centres......
who let them build there?......the council of course.... ???
same thing occurred in Emerald several years back
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »
I was looking at the rain specs for Townsville and its pretty wild to say the least.
I then started looking at rain specs in my own area here in the valley.

Wettest on record for Feb was way back in 1928.
Driest on record for Feb was way back in 1923.

That sort of kills some of the global warming stuff..... maybe?
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:15 AM »
I was looking at the rain specs for Townsville and its pretty wild to say the least.
I then started looking at rain specs in my own area here in the valley.

Wettest on record for Feb was way back in 1928.
Driest on record for Feb was way back in 1923.

That sort of kills some of the global warming stuff..... maybe?
I think the term global warming say is it all, other wise it would be called jeepers local area warming

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Justin

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2019, 06:40:34 AM »
ha ha ha .

Didn't give that much thought now, did I?  ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2019, 07:08:11 AM »
Maybe Mother Nature is trying to tell somebody something  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
OOps

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/ute-caught-out-as-tropical-cyclone-oma-whips-up-big-swell-20190219-p50yqy.html

Low-lying south-east Queensland coastal suburbs could be inundated in coming days with Tropical Cyclone Oma expected to whip up king tides and huge swells, battering the coastline.

A driver was caught out taking on the big swell at Rainbow Beach, north of the Sunshine Coast, on Tuesday and was forced to abandon his ute, leaving it at the mercy of the pounding waves.

The weather bureau has issued dangerous surf warnings for the Capricornia Coast, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island Coast, Sunshine Coast Waters, Moreton Bay and Gold Coast from Tuesday onwards.

A woman swimming in a natural pool in Noosa National Park was picked up and dumped onto rocks by a freak wave on Monday and had to be winched to safety by a rescue helicopter.

A ute was caught in the big swell near Mudlo Rocks at Rainbow Beach.Credit:Rainbow Beach Towing - Facebook
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
Holy crap, thats never happened before.....  ;D

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Holy crap, thats never happened before.....  ;D
the good old Rainbow Beach car wash hey...lol

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
Photos on the pub wall of the Rainbow Beach Rock Toll.
First saw them about 1980.

Rod

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
OOps
LOL...
Meteorologist Harry Clark said the category 2 tropical cyclone was 1400 kilometres north-west of Brisbane at 5am on Tuesday.

That would put the cyclone somewhere in the bush just north of Hughenden then.... ;D

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »
Some of the models have SEQ getting smashed by cyclone OMA, the most accurate one currently has it crossing the coast around Fraser as a Cat 1 and Brisbane copping 1200mm of rain, the second most accurate one has it staying off the coast and substantially less rain, both have big swells though so the beaches will cop it.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
Some of the models have SEQ getting smashed by cyclone OMA, the most accurate one currently has it crossing the coast around Fraser as a Cat 1 and Brisbane copping 1200mm of rain, the second most accurate one has it staying off the coast and substantially less rain, both have big swells though so the beaches will cop it.
not good :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:50 AM »
Don't be surprised if it does.

This has been a very odd summer so far.

We've had only 12mm of rain since early December, hottest, driest summer season in a long time.

I hope we don't get 1200mm, but a decent drop of rain would be very appreciated.

We also haven't had a day under 30c for the entire summer, our average high is 34.9 during the month of Feb.
The highest we've had is 42.9...so friggin hot.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2019, 05:44:06 AM »
Don't be surprised if it does.

This has been a very odd summer so far.

We've had only 12mm of rain since early December, hottest, driest summer season in a long time.

I hope we don't get 1200mm, but a decent drop of rain would be very appreciated.

We also haven't had a day under 30c for the entire summer, our average high is 34.9 during the month of Feb.
The highest we've had is 42.9...so friggin hot.
Nrisbane has been 41 days in a row above 30 degrees and 52 nights above 20 degrees minimum apparently

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2019, 06:08:42 AM »

Heard on the news this morning that it is either going to cross the coast Southern Qld / Northern NSW or will continue south to NZ. The guy did clarify that it is still a week off which means the predictions can be widely inaccurate. They have no idea but obviously the information world doesn't accept that so they have to comment and predict.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:26 AM »
All the models basically showed it turning towards the Qld coast and coming closer as it is now doing, after that the models all varied dramatically to what it’ll do...from crossing the coast, to heading to NZ, and some even had it heading North hugging up the Qld coastline....to early for any model to know for sure.
Hopefully we get some decent rain from it atleast, but even that’s no guarantee yet....digging holes 600mm down in my backyard the other day and it’s hard and dry all the way, need a good bit of rain here for sure.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
Breaking news on channel seven! They had not 1, but 4 reporters live on scene, they did a live cross to all of them one by one so they could each give commentary and pictures of.................................

wait for it..................... this was dramatic breaking news, an event so big it warranted 4 reporters "live on scene"

there are waves........................................................on the beaches!
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2019, 07:02:46 AM »
Heard on the news this morning that it is either going to cross the coast Southern Qld / Northern NSW or will continue south to NZ. The guy did clarify that it is still a week off which means the predictions can be widely inaccurate. They have no idea but obviously the information world doesn't accept that so they have to comment and predict.

I think if it hits, it will hit earlier than that, the BOM prediction is here
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml? and has it hitting the coast in the next 3-4 days.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
Breaking news on channel seven! They had not 1, but 4 reporters live on scene, they did a live cross to all of them one by one so they could each give commentary and pictures of.................................

wait for it..................... this was dramatic breaking news, an event so big it warranted 4 reporters "live on scene"

there are waves........................................................on the beaches!
Does ya head in eh.. .I've asked before why they feel the need - they did it at the fires too.. 

And something nobody has ever been able to answer..... Why are reporters and TV crews allowed into fire zones after the fire has destroyed a town - and the home owners are kept back klms away from the charred remains of their houses? The world gets a LIVE CROSS to the ash, before the owners have even been told their house is destroyed ...

How does that work?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
Does ya head in eh.. .I've asked before why they feel the need - they did it at the fires too.. 

And something nobody has ever been able to answer..... Why are reporters and TV crews allowed into fire zones after the fire has destroyed a town - and the home owners are kept back klms away from the charred remains of their houses? The world gets a LIVE CROSS to the ash, before the owners have even been told their house is destroyed ...

How does that work?

It's the "American Way"! I don't think Oz media has had an original thought since "Aunty Jack". Just listen to the current  cricket commentators and their terminology. All baseball and what about standing outside during a cyclone, in the pouring rain with bits of debris flying around the place!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:59 AM »
Yeah yeah I know America but its funny, Bloody weather reporters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrRCx8-fZk   FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS  ,,,, Then theres the Bloopers    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul_r4_QMAV8             ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:26:07 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "