Author Topic: Merret plug question  (Read 1581 times)

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
Merret plug question
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
Does anyone know if/where I might be able to get an adapter for a cigarette lighter plug to a Merrit socket?
I ask because I have several 12v items with lighter plugs and the new camper has merrit sockets and I really dont want to change the camper because they seem a very good fit unlike lighter plugs.
I would then be able to use these items in the car and the camper.

Thanks in advance

Shane
06 Terracan, 2010 cub kamperoo brumby

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Merret plug question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
Gday Shane,
Fistly, done good with the new Cub, looks great. As for the plugs, drop into a Narva stockist or a Jaycar store etc, you can get a combo type plug that will fit into a standard cig socket or by removing the red collar will fit into a Merrit type socket as well. Very handy if you use your 12v gear in more than one setup ( car & CT ). :cheers: Bevan.
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
Does anyone know if/where I might be able to get an adapter for a cigarette lighter plug to a Merrit socket?
I ask because I have several 12v items with lighter plugs and the new camper has merrit sockets and I really dont want to change the camper because they seem a very good fit unlike lighter plugs.
I would then be able to use these items in the car and the camper.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Hi in my Cub Escape I have added a number of cig lighter sockets as well as having the merit sockets, saves chasing adapters, and anything I fit a plug to I use the  Cig/Merit combo plugs, Supercheap have them at reasonable prices.

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Quad Pilot in Training ...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
The plugs are the reverse of what you want - they convert Merrit to Ciggy - as far as I know there cannot be an adaptor to go the other way as the ciggy +ve pin is not long enough ..

So you'll have to change all your plugs to the Merrit / Ciggy type.

Cheers

Steve
"If its heavier than air - it will never get off the ground" ... Anonymous - Wrong very very wrong !!

Offline Monty94

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
Jaycar have an adaptor catalogue number PP2099

They also have an "adaptor"  PP2094,  but it looks like a plug that is convertible to use in both sockets.  I would change the plugs to these, they work well as long as you don't misplace the red adaptor ring  ;D

Offline agsmky

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Whilst replacing your plugs with the duel/combo version is the better option for allround flexibility, there is an adapter that I use that will achieve the same thing when you may need it.  ABR sell them amongst others:

source ABR

I tend to use some electrical tape to ensure the connection from the cigarette plug to the adapter is always secure.  8)

Ags

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:54:14 AM »
I had the same problem when I first bought my camper trailer. I made up some adaptors for myself. Since then, I have tended to replace most of my gear that used cigar-style fittings (fluoro lights for LEDs for example, rewired the fridge, etc) and always put the Merit-style fittings on the new gear, and now don't tend to use the old adaptors so much.

Mal

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
Thanks for the info guys :cup:

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
Thanks again for the info guys, I picked up the adapter from the auto electrician wiring up the anderson plug to the vehicle.