Author Topic: TV for camper  (Read 27666 times)

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
Re: TV for camper
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
I used to think I would never take a TV camping and, even though we have one now, on many occasions ours wouldn't leave the box. But touring in a camper trailer is more than just camping. Many times we go places for other activities and may stay in a caravan park where camp fires are not allowed and being able to kick back and watch a DVD or catch up on the news is just as relaxing.   On long outback trips, when we get to civilization after days of isolation, the TV is a welcome distraction. If its raining, the TV is just one way we keep ourselves entertained. And lets face it...curling up together in bed with a bowl of popcorn and a good movie is just as much fun away as it is at home...!

Whether its a TV, DVD, car stereo, iPod or laptop, we all have succumb to technology and I'd bet we all have at least one form of media entertainment when we go cmping, especially those with kids.

If you used the TV every time you went away, then I agree that's not a good thing, but having one that gets used occasionally and that can be run off 12v is ideal for campers trailer owners.  I think that was the point of this thread.

:cheers:

Darcy

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:42 AM »
It comes down to be prepaired . We pack up all the stuff to get us there , feed us . retreive us , keep us going . How many have got am Am/Fm/CD in the truck & or the  CT . You dont have to use it but it could be handy  . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

tinkera

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »
HI ALL Yeah Mr,s Tinkera says at our age when were camped by ourselves there is only so much you have to talk about at night so yeah a good DVD or TV is all good any way who cares what you do while your camping as long as you don.t annoy anyone around you. TINKERA.

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
I am looking at putting a TV in our CT, it's nice to have if the weather turns to crap.

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
Try not to watch TV while camping and usually to much else to do anyway. It could be handy on occasion though to watch the big games etc. I'm thinking of buying a tuner for the IPAD but these WIFI ones look better and others could tune in with their android phones and pads. Anyone tried one of these out? I imagine you would need a strong signal so not much good for bush camping I suppose.

Tivizen DVB-T WiFi Receiver review

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
I am a little sad that people feel the need to come onto this thread to say 'Your doing it wrong' it's not what this topic is about and it's not helpful.

Some of us camp with TVs, some of us don't. But we all do what works for us.

Other campers have gadgets I wouldn't dream of using, and as long as they don't harrass me with that gadget then I'm not going to judge them on their choice to have one.

Don't turn myswag into a place where you are judged rather than supported, there are enough of those sites around already.

Offline Taz64

• Tent User
  • Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
I picked up one of the Aldi 12v TV/DVD combos (can't recall the brand) a few months back when they were on special ($95.00). 

It works great and runs for 3 hours on full charged battery until requires re-charge or can run it continuously hooked up to 12v.

I haven't worried about an antennae as I got it in case the weather turns nasty while camping so can watch DVD's
Cheers,

Taz   

2007 Toyota Hilux SR5 Turbo Diesel
Freetime semi-off road camper trailer

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
We've been through this question as well. After buying a Rankarena 20 inch 12 volt/240 volt flat screen T.V. and powered antenae for our Cub camper, discovered the volume of T.V. annoyed nearby campers. (canvas walls are pretty thin and don't stop much)
I also found the messy job of laying cables, pluggin in stuff everywhere, mounting the antenae then trying to tune in the free to air channels only to discover recption was lousey or non existant, or only one channel available (channel 2) simply was not worth the trouble of lugging all that gear around.
Besides, don't we leave home to get away from all that stuff ?
If you want to find out the weathet tune the car radio to ABC. And if it rains, you can play solitaire with a real old fashioned deck of cards, better yet, get out your new fangled reader and read a book.

Offline Sickgm

• Swag User
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »
I find it rather interesting /amusing that we are all putting our 2cents in regarding TV's while camping and how it is absurd to take a TV camping, yet I have no doubt that all of us have spent plenty of $$ on expensive campers, 12v systems, fridges, LED lights, reclining chairs, HWS, kitchens, and whatever else there is out there in order to enjoy the outdoors in comfort? How is a TV any different........

nbd73

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2013, 12:02:05 AM »
I find it rather interesting /amusing that we are all putting our 2cents in regarding TV's while camping and how it is absurd to take a TV camping, yet I have no doubt that all of us have spent plenty of $$ on expensive campers, 12v systems, fridges, LED lights, reclining chairs, HWS, kitchens, and whatever else there is out there in order to enjoy the outdoors in comfort? How is a TV any different........
What I find amusing is that the original post was asking for opinions on type of tv, and the power usage of said units. As far as I can tell it was not asking whether tv's were relevant to camping, nor was it intended to start a debate. And yet so many just have to weigh in with the usual high & mighty attitude. You are dead right, how many comments have suggested "If you wanted the weather turn on the radio"? How is listening to the radio any different? It's still using a piece of electronic equipment to enhance your holiday. When I was growing up camping on the west side of Fraser Island my father had a series 2A land rover, and radios weren't an option in them.
For the record I have a 12v Kogan 24inch tv/DVD and it is just gold for keeping the kids occupied during storms & food preparation.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:06:42 AM by nbd73 »

Offline Sickgm

• Swag User
TV for camper
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
Yeah spot on nbd.....

In response to the question I just ordered a 22inch Kogan DVD combo 12v unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
TV for camper
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
I've just ordered 2 of the 32" led tv from Kogan as well. The fact they made a tv that size and runs on 12v was great.
I did a lot of research on quality which is still a question mark.

I'd love to know what amps they draw bu for the price hopefully the are ok. If anyone has the, wha do u think.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

nbd73

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
They have very tinny speakers to keep power use down, and they also totally turn off the DVD section when u switch to another input, once again to conserve power. Mine has started making a whirring noise when using the DVD aspect, but it still works. Had it 2 yrs, figure for just over $200 I can't complain too much (same model was on sale recently for $169). Better than $600+ being asked for 12v tv's at RV stores, possibly up there with expo 88 as the all time rip off venues. (Oops, sidetracked!)

Marschy

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
Happy with my Kogan 16 inch 12 volt telly. It doubles as a second PC monitor when its not with us camping.

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "I WONDER WHERE THIS TRACK GOES"
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
I've just ordered 2 of the 32" led tv from Kogan as well. The fact they made a tv that size and runs on 12v was great.
I did a lot of research on quality which is still a question mark.

I'd love to know what amps they draw bu for the price hopefully the are ok. If anyone has the, wha do u think.
does it operate on both 12 v and 240 v ??

100 Series Diesel with lots of stuff
2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Marschy

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
Yes, the power for 240 goes into a 12 volt transformer then into the telly

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
    • Tripigy
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
Actually with these particular LED TV's, they supply a direct 12V cig socket cable. It's not a transformer. I believe they do step down on 240v, but one of the things that attracted to this particular model is it runs directly from a Cig socket. Which is quite nice.

Only time will tell, apparently delivery late next week. Will be interesting, as they are a smart TV also.. I'll provide a report/amp usage once i receive and can test them

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Try not to watch TV while camping and usually to much else to do anyway. It could be handy on occasion though to watch the big games etc. I'm thinking of buying a tuner for the IPAD but these WIFI ones look better and others could tune in with their android phones and pads. Anyone tried one of these out? I imagine you would need a strong signal so not much good for bush camping I suppose.

Tivizen DVB-T WiFi Receiver review

I like that. I wonder if it has an external antenna point. If not it would be fairly limited to cities as digital is more of a work or not. Unlike analog where you may get a few lines across the screen.

Cheers
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
Actually with these particular LED TV's, they supply a direct 12V cig socket cable. It's not a transformer. I believe they do step down on 240v, but one of the things that attracted to this particular model is it runs directly from a Cig socket. Which is quite nice.

Only time will tell, apparently delivery late next week. Will be interesting, as they are a smart TV also.. I'll provide a report/amp usage once i receive and can test them

Do they come with the option for an external antenna?

Just been having a look around and this one has an external antenna. Not quite as small but has dual tuners so you can watch two different channels
http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/ProductsEuropeAsia/DVBTT2products/PCTVBroadwayTD/tabid/259/language/en-GB/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:45:43 AM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Marschy

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

Hello Firefox, the 12 volt cable with cigarette plug for the Kogan is a separate item that doesn't ship with the TV out of the box. You have to buy it separately.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
    • Tripigy
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »
yeah i know, i ordered 2 of them, though thanks for the heads up. I plan on cutting them anyhow and integrating the connections directly into the wiring.. As the tv's are going to be fixed mounted onto the walls with brackets..

Marschy

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
No problem, I made my own with cable I had left over and some plugs from jaycar.