Author Topic: Hammertone painting tips  (Read 19318 times)

Offline vast

• Tent User
Hammertone painting tips
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »
Hi
Started painting the trailer yesterday with 3M Hammertone paint.
On the whole happy with the result, but on one panel it looks a little dusty and not a deep shiny sheen. Maybe dried too quickly or before it hit the surface. Maybe overspray. When I run my hand over it, it not slippery and smooth. I get residue on my palm as well.
This is the first time I have used that type of paint and have limited spraying skills.
I thinned it down as well. About 700ml of paint and 100ml of thinners.
I am using a HVLP gun.
Any tips would be appreciated. Should I reduce my spray pattern?
Regards

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
Re: Hammertone painting tips
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:28 AM »
I would guess it has dried to quickly or the gun was to far from the job, was the panel sprayed at the same time, same batch or was it the last panel sprayed, was there plenty of paint in the gun.

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
Hi Pauly
All panels sprayed at the same time. Maybe 1/4 of a pot left. I had noticed at the time it didn't appear to be going on as wet as the other panels. So I could have had the gun too far away, plus I was spraying the panel horizontally. I find it harder to do, but you get no runs. (With me being a novice is a big help) But, when thinking about it, I guess it causes the paint to be applied at a different thickness from the top edge of the pattern to the bottom edge. Maybe I should hang the panels. (They are the side door panels. Similar to a tradesman tool trailer)
Maybe I should drop the pressure a bit and reduce the pattern as well. So I get a wetter edge.
I am sure my technique could be greatly improved.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
We were talking about this on the weekend as I'm painting my camper next week; apparently hammertone is best applied with a brush, to get a thick coat onto the metal?

2nd coat?

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »

I have found hammertone to be a bit hit or miss. 

(Or should that be that I am a bit hit and miss when spraying hammertone.  :D )

I dont use it anymore and prefer to powdercoat where possible or use an enamel.

Offline morcon

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »
I second the brush motion - puts a lot deeper hammer effect in the paint (if that's what you're after).

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »
Did all my mods with a brush.. My camper is mostly chequerplate too so that hides most imperfections.. Not that I was going for perfect though, just protected.

HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Here I was thinking that I'll do the job correctly by using a spray gun. lol
Went out and wasted $60 on it seems. So now I am commited to using it. Me being a male that refuses to admit that I have made a mis..ke.  ;D

Offline magilla

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
Well I used a spray gun on mine, low pressure type, a little bit of thinners, close-ish to the surface and a reasonbly slow pass rate. All came up really well, including the tailgate which is 1350 X 1400 , no laps visible.(pats self on back)

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »
I've used a brush also on a previous camper. It was like a plastic coating in the end, really happy with the result. the only downside; because I applied it so thick, I went through about 8 litres of the stuff  ;D

I'll give Misty a coat sooner or later, brush also means I won't need to strip too much.

Offline sparksy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »
One thing to remember if you use  a sealant which is polyurethane based is the hammertone paint will eat it out if its not sealed with a waterbased sealer. When I painted my camper with hammercoat the sealant all turned to jelly. I also used a paintbrush to first cut in around edges the used a short napp roller ( about 30mm dia ) to apply the coats ensuring that each coat is applied in a different direction to get a even coverage.

Wayne

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »
Thanks for the ideas and help.
Will give it another go tomorrow. Will put it on a bit thicker and slower and see what happens
Regards

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
Another tip... try turning the air pressure down as low as you can.!!!

Poverty Pack.!

Offline macca

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
Vast, if its looks flat and powdery its been put on too dry, usually to far away but can be to much air to paint ratio, moving too quick, to thick. With spray painting you have to lay the paint on wet, too wet and it runs, too dry and it goes all dull and powdery but wet doesnt mean thick though, you are better to do multible light coats rather than one thick heavy coat (that will cause runs for sure). Mix your paint two thirds paint to one third thinner use a slow even movement about 300 to 400mm from the job. I am not a painter but have done a bit. Keep persisting and good luck

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »
Thanks. I thought I was about 300mm away, but pressure was up around 45psi. So I will drop it back. I think I will also narrow the pattern down as well. I found it hard to keep a wet edge. I have sprayed polyurethane on timber before and that was easier. This was a lot trickier.
Will keep persisting
Regards

Offline magilla

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
I am with baldheadedgit and Macca, I also used Sikaflex polyurethane sealents, but used a coat of etch primer as well. I dont care what the instructions may say about not using primer. Ive been a domestic house/commercial painter for a while and still dont place much faith in not using a primer coat.
Unless of course I am making the quality suit the price they want to pay. 

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
Well I had another go last night.
Dropped the pressure and narrowed the spray pattern.
Was a lot better and had no overspray. So a nice glossy finish. And feels nice to touch.
Still ended up with banding/striping abit . I presume this is a result of different levels of paint.
I kept a wet edge and sprayed on that, but obviously I must have overlapped too much. I change from doing the long length to width. So the area being sprayed was only 400mm rather than 2100mm.
It seems a lot better to spray horizontal services as I got a few small runs on vertical faces. There seems to be a fine line between not enough, to, too much.
Can I sand the runs out?
Once I am happy with the finish, it that all I need to do? Or do I need to put a clear coat over it or polish it?
Regards

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • I never forget a face. For you I'll an exception!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
The trick to any paint is preparation and particularily 2 pack hammertone.

I resprayed our old camper in silver hammertone and I thought we'd done a pretty good job preparing the surface.  It was fine at first but it soon started flaking in some areas.  It also chipped easily. 

I think we should have returned the surface to almost bare metal and perhaps used a primer of some sort.

Second time I resprayed it I just used black enamel and put about 4 coats on.  Looked fantastic and seemed a much tougher paint.  I sold the trailer before I could see how it went.

Nissan Patrol CRD DX Walkabout...River Eliminator Off Road Hotel.....Roof top tent for roughing it...... :cup:POTM WINNER APRIL 2010 :cup:

Offline torsion

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
Hows the finish when brushed?
Brush streaking or anything like that?

Offline Moopla

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
If it's a single pack hammertone generaly these are a modified enamel and can be thinned around 30 -40% with turps. Great up here in qld as this retards the drying time and helps with gloss level. Can run if applied to heavily but i personally have had much better results with this than using GP thinners. I'm not familiar with the 3m product but by mixing a small quantity up will tell you if it's compatible. if it curdles than no good. Hope this helps.

Offline kickinback

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
Heres a hot tip for spraying any type of paint that has been thinned down.

Put a marble in the spraygun pot (except fot the top mounted hvlp units) and give it a good swirl around every 30 seconds. What has probably happend to the problem panel is the thinners and paint have sepparated in the pot and the last panel you painted was more thinners than paint, causing the rough finish due to the thinners evaporating in transit to the panel.
I believe in the three step program......campfire, a coldie and a fishing rod

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
I am in Hervey Bay, Qld and using a HVLP unit.
I kept giving it a swirl to keep the thinners mixed.
I read somewhere that Metho can be used as well. It slows down the drying and gives a great sheen.
Will give it a try and see what happens. Will try and work out how to post some pics.
Regards

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
Well I got a better result with using a bit of turps instead, plus better skill.
But now I have another drama.
I had to touch up an area and the last time the area was painted was over 4 days ago.
After applying the paint, mixed exactly the same way and applied the same way I seemed to get a reaction and it has blistered/peel to it.
I have no idea what has happened.
I will get a photo in the morning.

Offline vast

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 07:21:56 AM »
Here is a shot of the unpleasant result.
I am not sure if the thinners separated in the paint before spraying or I applied it incorrectly.
I tried to swirl the pot several times to keep things mixed together.
Any help would be appreciated
Regards

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
is paint brush one word or two  >:D :angel:
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING