Author Topic: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks  (Read 33300 times)

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2020, 04:30:13 PM »
On the plus side

Keith

Glass half full hey Keith........... great that you can find a positive from all this  :cup:
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Quote from: KeithB
On the plus side, we were up for new injectors in the next 50,000km as well as a steering rack. That would have been about $11K all up.
is that on top of the 26k donk?

Bargain.... Think my next car upgrade will be a Model T, or at the latest a FC Holden....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
On the plus side, we were up for new injectors in the next 50,000km as well as a steering rack. That would have been about $11K all up.

Keith

Were the injectors out of spec Keith ? If they were, it can be like driving a time bomb as well !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »
The oil is changed every 5000 km, because I do a lot of city work and was only 1,000 km old when she blew. I doubt there would be anything to learn from it.

Depends on the failure mode - you'd be surprised at what gets through to the oil. But yep, 1000km is a very short run on the oil (even 5000km is a short run on most common rail diesel engines)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2020, 10:12:57 AM »
Just going back to our failed diesel heater, we were supposed to receive a new Eberspatcher unit yesterday. But the noggins sent it to our home address in Sydney instead of the advised address at the caravan park in Orange where we are holed up, waiting for the new Landcruiser engine.
Looks like mid next week before they can send a replacement.
Mechanically, this has not been a happy trip.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
Just going back to our failed diesel heater, we were supposed to receive a new Eberspatcher unit yesterday. But the noggins sent it to our home address in Sydney instead of the advised address at the caravan park in Orange where we are holed up, waiting for the new Landcruiser engine.
Looks like mid next week before they can send a replacement.
Mechanically, this has not been a happy trip.
Keith

Bought something on ebay a couple of yrs ago for friends in Melbourne.....changed address for the delivery.....guess what happened next time I bought something on ebay ??
Always check the delivery address !!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
Just in reference to a previous post, two of the injectors were running out of spec, apparently due to two damaged cylinders.
The drivers side turbo is perfect, but the passenger side one is buggered. They say the engine has definitely been dusted and shows all of the classical signs.
They are currently moving the reusable parts from the old motor onto the new one. The ring gear is good and the starter motor checked out okay. The alternator is going out today for servicing. 
The EGR system is all caked up with carbon which means the chemical cleaning I had done a year ago has done bugger all. Will fit a catch can when we get home.
The reconditioned steering box didn't leave Sydney till yesterday and should be here tomorrow, as should the new diesel heater furnace for the van.
God willing and the floods don't rise, we hope to have the vehicle back to us on Friday.
If not, Denise will get the train home on Sunday or Monday because she has patients to see who can't be put off.
There are currently heaps of city visitors in Orange. There are very few houses to rent and all of the restaurants are booked out well in advance. And we are running out of places to look at.
Keith

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:20:07 PM by KeithB »
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2020, 02:42:40 PM »
Quote from: KeithB
The EGR system is all caked up with carbon which means the chemical cleaning I had done a year ago has done bugger all.
surely it wouldnt 'cake up' that much in a year? maybe they didnt do a proper job..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
surely it wouldnt 'cake up' that much in a year? maybe they didnt do a proper job..

Bird I think the product used simply did not work.
Keith

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Bird I think the product used simply did not work.
Keith
was it a send out and get done job or home jobby? Sounded like you meant it was a send out job.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2020, 07:18:02 PM »
My normal mechanic did it during a service. The muck had accumulated where the exhaust gas comes in. Mind you, the throttle response improved markedly after the clean, so it must have achieved something.
Keith
The following users thanked this post: Tombliboo

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2020, 07:27:08 PM »
Just in reference to a previous post, two of the injectors were running out of spec, apparently due to two damaged cylinders.

Probably the other way round. An out of spec injector MAY damage a cylinder, even burn a hole in it, but a cylinder suffering from wear is unlikely to damage the injector.

It's a pity you may not get a chance to post a pic of the LH turbo vanes ?

I suspect your 200 series has been ingesting dust long before you bought it ?

I suspect mine has done the same.....one day I'll attempt to have a look at the LH turbo vanes.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2020, 10:13:00 PM »
You are probably right. But it compression tested perfect when I bought it.
Keith

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
You are probably right. But it compression tested perfect when I bought it.
Keith

I thought you said you've only done approx 2000K's on dirt....with a snorkel ?  Just doesn't sound like a dusting...but as you've said, all the symptoms are there ? If you get a chance, ask them for the buggered turbo....would be interesting to find out what's buggered on it ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Me

• Tent User
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
Lots of comments in this thread bout how it would take longer than a few thousand K's to "dust" an engine.

The truth is that it only takes a few minutes! Or even less, depending on the soil structure in the dust at the time of failure.

Also lots of comments about changing air filters more regularly to overcome dusting - good luck with that!

If the dust is getting past the filter, how is changing the filter more often going to stop it?

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2020, 06:44:25 AM »
Lots of comments in this thread bout how it would take longer than a few thousand K's to "dust" an engine.

The truth is that it only takes a few minutes! Or even less, depending on the soil structure in the dust at the time of failure.

Also lots of comments about changing air filters more regularly to overcome dusting - good luck with that!

If the dust is getting past the filter, how is changing the filter more often going to stop it?

Dust will go through all filters......all depends on how many microns the filter is designed for.
The 200 series.....and a few other 4wds, has a problem with it bypassing the filter via the seals.

There are lots of 200's doing severe outback roads from brand new, and if the dust was causing engine problems that quick, there would be thousands getting new engines under warranty.

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
I don't think driving down a dusty road with a snorkel fitted is going to dust an engine at all. What I think may have caused the problem was dust from oncoming traffic. At times during our Darling River run, we had to pull over and wait for dust to clear from oncoming traffic so that we could see the road. At other times, the breeze made it possible to keep going, still with plenty of dust. At other times at low speed with a following breeze, we were driving in our own dust. Then there was dust when overtaking very slow vehicles.
At one stage the dust was so think that an emu ran into the side of our camper trailer.
The trip home was mostly on flat roads with a very light trailer, then all slow city work while I finished building the Glamper.
The engine then failed the first time it was asked to deliver maximum power with 2.5 tonnes in tow.
Keith

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2020, 09:33:48 AM »
Bottom line is it is being fixed, Be it an expensive one ....
It is a mechanical thing and mechanical things fail .. For what ever reason it has failed after xx amount of time ..
It will be replaced with another mechanical thing that will eventualy fail to some degree possibly at an earlier or later time,  who knows ..
All you can do is set it up / service it correctly to best practice specs, treat it well and use what ever life the unit gives before it fails again .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
Bottom line is it is being fixed, Be it an expensive one ....
It is a mechanical thing and mechanical things fail .. For what ever reason it has failed after xx amount of time ..
It will be replaced with another mechanical thing that will eventualy fail to some degree possibly at an earlier or later time,  who knows ..
All you can do is set it up / service it correctly to best practice specs, treat it well and use what ever life the unit gives before it fails again .

Yep. Fix it, and move on.... :cup: :cup:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »
Quote from: gronk
there would be thousands getting new engines under warranty.
surely that would warrant a recall and modification... ??? then again grenade.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »
surely that would warrant a recall and modification... ??? then again grenade.

Not really if you look at the thousands of landcruisers made
Only about 10% of those would do any sort of decent work on the dirt
Only about 1% of those 10% would experience what appears to be a pretty specific mix of conditions required to cause dusting
Only 1% of that 1% may experience actual dusting

While the result is catastrophic if you look at the above likelihood the risk is still way to low to warrant some sort of recall or acknowledgment
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Not really if you look at the thousands of landcruisers made
Only about 10% of those would do any sort of decent work on the dirt
Only about 1% of those 10% would experience what appears to be a pretty specific mix of conditions required to cause dusting
Only 1% of that 1% may experience actual dusting

While the result is catastrophic if you look at the above likelihood the risk is still way to low to warrant some sort of recall or acknowledgment
Fair call on the small % used offroad, i was thinking more preventative for yota ... would be cheaper to replace airboxes than engines
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »
After having to fork out all the coin for another motor, will you fit one of the new aftermarket filter housings that is supposed to provide a dust free seal?.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »
Yes I will order a new air box when we get back. Probably from Moonlight Engineering. If anyone has any better suggestions I am all ears.
When the new engine goes in it will have a catch can fitted as well.
Keith

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »
Yes I will order a new air box when we get back. Probably from Moonlight Engineering. If anyone has any better suggestions I am all ears.
When the new engine goes in it will have a catch can fitted as well.
Keith

Will be good for many years to come.  Now you will have to get out more to make it all worthwhile.  Glad its coming together for you.  :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: KeithB