Author Topic: Daily Rant 2020  (Read 42642 times)

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
Re: Daily Rant 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
Hey, the drought continues,
Just heard that Stanthorpe has run out of water.
I was in Yamba today, there were people watering farking grass, front lawns.
Went from Nanango to Linville via the hwy (64km). Out of all of the dams visible from the hwy on a motorcycle, there were three with ANY water. Coming back up the back way through Mt Stanley I crossed 25 low level floodways which were Brisbane river crossings. There was, again, three sections of the river that had water, and these were only low level billabongs. So yeah, the drought has got our area by the balls at the moment. As far as outrageous water usage events are concerned, we were camping at shoal bay and watched a caravan owner washing both his car and his caravan. Same thing happened at Burnett heads. There are people without a clue living amongst us!!
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2016 On The Move Crossfire

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
5) Already in the Clarence Valley, insurance mobs are jacking renewals if you have the 2460 post code,

A number of years back now, there was flooding in the lakes & canals around Burleigh - Varsity Lakes on the GC, but nothing that even remotely effected us.

Following years H&C Insurance renewal came in with just a bit of an increase in premiums - from $1000 to $6000!!!  :o :o :o

Rang them & said there must be some mistake & the jerk said that it's because we're in a flood risk area. Explained to him that we are on a slight elevation compared to the rest of the area, that the Council flood maps show that there would need to be something like a 8m flood to effect us (the flooding that had happened was about 2m), & that our next door neighbours were the first people living in this street (in 1980!) & they have seen water, at the end of the street, 300m away, once in all that time!

Sorry, no, your postcode is now listed as flood prone so there's nothing I can do

Well I can go somewhere else with my insurance!

Oh, in that case let me look at it again - came back a couple of minutes later & said we can drop it to $3000!

Forget it & we went elsewhere (at <$1000!)

Was checking around when we renewed our insurance 2 years ago & noticed that their premiums would now be only be ~$200 more than our current amount, with flood cover included! ???

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
There are people without a clue living amongst us!!

Councils included!

Neighbours had a water main under their front footpath start leaking last year.

Came out one morning & there's a mound about 1' high, 2m long & 1m wide that has appeared overnight, with water running out of it & pouring down the gutter.

Rang Council immediately but it was 4 days before they came out to fix it >:(

It's probably not an exaggeration to say that millions of litre of water just disappeared down the drain :'(

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2020, 12:19:15 PM »
A number of years back now, there was flooding in the lakes & canals around Burleigh - Varsity Lakes on the GC, but nothing that even remotely effected us.

Following years H&C Insurance renewal came in with just a bit of an increase in premiums - from $1000 to $6000!!!  :o :o :o

Rang them & said there must be some mistake & the jerk said that it's because we're in a flood risk area. Explained to him that we are on a slight elevation compared to the rest of the area, that the Council flood maps show that there would need to be something like a 8m flood to effect us (the flooding that had happened was about 2m), & that our next door neighbours were the first people living in this street (in 1980!) & they have seen water, at the end of the street, 300m away, once in all that time!

Sorry, no, your postcode is now listed as flood prone so there's nothing I can do

Well I can go somewhere else with my insurance!

Oh, in that case let me look at it again - came back a couple of minutes later & said we can drop it to $3000!

Forget it & we went elsewhere (at <$1000!)

Was checking around when we renewed our insurance 2 years ago & noticed that their premiums would now be only be ~$200 more than our current amount, with flood cover included! ???

Had same thing happen to us about 10 plus years ago. I can't recall what isntigated the increased flood risk.

Tried to explain to the call centre that if we had flood  water reach our house then 90% of Victoria's power generation would have their chimneys under water. Made no difference.

Changed insurers and a few years later the original mob had come back to competitive rate, including flood cover.

I have always assumed just standard city slicker pen pushers changing policies without any knowledge of topography outside of their metro office.

NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
The problem is the broad postcode areas used in Australia; in the UK a postcode is shared by ~12-20 properties, but there are broader areas when you look at the first section. Wikipedia on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcodes_in_the_United_Kingdom.  If there was subdivision after 2460, say a new set like 2460-xxxx, it would increase the granularity and the associated risk profiles.

Postcodes were created and exist for no other purpose than for streaming of mail product through the Australia Post mail processing network. The real problem is the all these companies that use the mail post code for uses that they are not intended and not suitable.

Insurance companies should be using LOCALITY boundaries, which are defined and freely available for every named locality. Some postcodes in rural areas can span over 1000 km's.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Complete Campsite Exodus 16.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »
It seems our posty might be playing silly buggers

Changing edz'  ;D into a  >:( ...

We're waiting on a parcel to make the incredibly long, dangerous & difficult trip all the way from Sydney to the GC ::)

It was apparently posted on Tuesday 7/1 & it's journey so far is:

Item processed at facility SYDNEY NSW Wed 15 Jan • 12:33pm

Customer enquiry lodged Wed 15 Jan • 8:59am

EASTERN CREEK NSW Tue 14 Jan • 11:06pm

REDBANK QLD Mon 13 Jan • 10:32pm

SYDNEY NSW Sun 12 Jan • 10:29pm

REDBANK QLD Fri 10 Jan • 10:12pm

SYDNEY NSW Thu 9 Jan • 8:05am

CASTLE HILL NSW Thu 9 Jan • 3:52am

EASTERN CREEK NSW Wed 8 Jan • 4:29pm

Received by Australia Post CONSTITUTION HILL NSW Wed 8 Jan • 2:46pm

Shipping information received by Australia Post Wed 8 Jan • 7:07am

When I rang them this morning, they said that they'll "send a message to Eastern Creek to get them to check it" ::). When I then asked if they could please stick an Express / Priority tag on it as it's a birthday present for this weekend, they've then said "Oh, sorry, no - there's no way to actually change anything on the parcel", which I reckon means they're not doing a bloody thing >:(

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 02:32:33 PM »
When you buy some shoes from overseas and they use a Chinese Shipping company

Instead of 2 pairs of shoes a knockoff Dior scarf turns up in the letter box
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »
When you buy some shoes from overseas and they use a Chinese Shipping company

Instead of 2 pairs of shoes a knockoff Dior scarf turns up in the letter box

Shoes are one thing I don't buy unless I actually try them on.
I am size 14 ( Australian or UK size ), but have bought size 15 and even size 16...both UK size, so like chinese clothes, size labels mean nothing these days !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
Here’s an example of no concern for our country  :-[

https://www.facebook.com/tammy.buxton.5832/posts/207880766894578

Would have been great to have dash cam, so the authorities have a starting point.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2016 On The Move Crossfire

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2020, 09:14:20 PM »
Here’s an example of no concern for our country  :-[

https://www.facebook.com/tammy.buxton.5832/posts/207880766894578

Would have been great to have dash cam, so the authorities have a starting point.

Would have been more believable too. Knowing some of w*nkers on FB, could also be a load of bollocks.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
Shoes are one thing I don't buy unless I actually try them on.
I am size 14 ( Australian or UK size ), but have bought size 15 and even size 16...both UK size, so like chinese clothes, size labels mean nothing these days !!

Yeah i normally dont as well it was just the exact same pair that i had retired so i knew the sizing would fit
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:41 AM »
What a great chance channel 9 missed last night with the charity tennis broadcast   >:(   couldn't have fitted any more adds in if they tried, so bad that I stopped watching after half an hour 
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
Sent away for 2 small keys for my camper as spares.  Both could easily fit in a matchbox with heaps of room to spare.  Up rocks a courier with a 300mm x 450 mm  padded envelop containing 2 small keys.  What a bloody waste.  Amazon.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
Sent away for 2 small keys for my camper as spares.  Both could easily fit in a matchbox with heaps of room to spare.  Up rocks a courier with a 300mm x 450 mm  padded envelop containing 2 small keys.  What a bloody waste.  Amazon.
Dell do the same with a grub screw... about 1/2cm  long in a box you could fit a set of headphones in
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »

Exactly the same thing last week with a 5" long adaptor cable ::)

It was quick though! ;D

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2020, 04:39:45 PM »
Exactly the same thing last week with a 5" long adaptor cable ::)

It was quick though! ;D

Haven't really looked at Aus Amazon......are the prices pretty good compared to e bay ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2020, 05:28:04 PM »
Dell do the same with a grub screw... about 1/2cm  long in a box you could fit a set of headphones in
Probably just standard sized packages plus image how many would get lost if they were the size of a matchbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »
Probably just standard sized packages plus image how many would get lost if they were the size of a matchbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair call.  I,m thinking of hanging onto the envelop and selling it on e-bay as a sleeping bag for dwarfs!!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
Haven't really looked at Aus Amazon......are the prices pretty good compared to e bay ?

Yes and no, but I'd rather have the guarantee from Amazon than an Ebay shop 90% of the time. I've bought from the Amazon U.S. site quite a bit but the exchange rate and postage is killing that now. It seems that a lot of traders on Amazon AU still have the "Hardly Normal" mentality of wanting a 150% profit, but I did just recently purchase a wifi mesh system that was $30-00 cheaper than ebay, and was delivered in 3 working days.

On the other hand I bought a refurbished "Fetch" box on ebay with a 2 year warranty for 50% of the new retail price.

DYOR   :cheers:

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »
Compare them to Amazon USA... you'll be shocked.
-
Click to enlarge

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2020, 07:46:02 AM »

Comparable to eBay, I guess, although as always some things are up or down either way. :-\

I've spotted a few things on Amazon though, that aren't on eBay ???

As Bird said though, the good ol' Aussie Tax really applies when compared to Amazon US! :'( >:(

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
SBS yesterday... Aussie Alina Tom [something] playing The screamer [Sharapova]… Aussie has match point, 9-6 in the tie breaker.... SBS goes to a 4 minute series of adds !!!!!!!!! Turns out she won!!
2010 Mazda BT50 "Freestyle" cab chassis plus custom canopy and lots of fruit, 2011 ModCon Elysium.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2020, 10:03:35 AM »
Quote from: HEM19X
SBS yesterday... Aussie Alina Tom [something] playing The screamer [Sharapova]… Aussie has match point, 9-6 in the tie breaker.... SBS goes to a 4 minute series of adds !!!!!!!!! Turns out she won!!

They realised that only 1 person was watching and it didnt matter :P
-
Click to enlarge

The following users thanked this post: rags

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2020, 01:28:02 PM »
Comparable to eBay, I guess, although as always some things are up or down either way. :-\

I've spotted a few things on Amazon though, that aren't on eBay ???

As Bird said though, the good ol' Aussie Tax really applies when compared to Amazon US! :'( >:(

I'll have a look next time something needs buying ..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
They realised that only 1 person was watching and it didnt matter :P

I do so matter!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, all networks have been guilty of the same thing... "The tension rises, a 15'put to win … the ball is on it's way, looks good.... cut to an ad!!!!!!!!!

2010 Mazda BT50 "Freestyle" cab chassis plus custom canopy and lots of fruit, 2011 ModCon Elysium.