Author Topic: What’s making news - 2020  (Read 34902 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #825 on: May 24, 2020, 07:23:46 AM »
I've come across him in years gone by...

& you're obviously still here to talk about him! ;D
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #826 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
& you're obviously still here to talk about him! ;D
Never knew who he was, we were having lunch in a pull over on a through track with dense bush all around.  He appeared out of what was essentially a hedge.

We shared our lunch with him, had a chat, and packed our 3 cars up and kept going, leaving him to his own devices.  Never gave it any mind until reading this story.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #827 on: May 24, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
How are all our friends in WA getting on with the "cyclone" ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #828 on: May 24, 2020, 09:52:46 PM »
Stormageddon was the big headline. To me it's another winter storm but although I'm inland from the coast it will be different  the ocean.
The reporters are standing out in it for the news story so it must be big.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #829 on: May 25, 2020, 11:29:45 AM »
How are all our friends in WA getting on with the "cyclone" ???

Bit breezy and bit damp...........but the mega, unprecedented, once in a lifetime, rare and dynamic, extreme phenomenon news event is amazing…………..survivable but amazing  ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #830 on: May 25, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/6768086/birdsville-races-cancelled-reset-for-2021/

The Birdsville races have been cancelled too

'Melbourne Cup of the outback': Birdsville Races cancelled

Queensland's iconic Birdsville Races is the latest COVID-19 victim, with organisers announcing this year's event has been scratched.

The event, known as the Melbourne Cup of the outback, have been held since 1882 and is a major tourist drawcard for operators in the state's far west.

For those not familiar with the Birdsville Races, where are some photos from years gone by:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:13:40 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #832 on: May 25, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Apparently China has sent 5000 troops across the border into India and taken over one of Indias Forward millitary outposts .. The Chinese are moving heavy equiptment and artillery to its side of the Border .. Could be a spot of trouble Brewing ..
They seem all cocky now dont they ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #833 on: May 25, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
Solar isnt economical to power us here on a large scale apparently, but somehow its economical to build a solar farm and run an extension lead to Singapore. Now Im really confused.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-25/-sunshine-to-asia-power-plan-moves-forward-with-cable-contract

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #834 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Good to see that dope Celeste Barbour get a lesson in law today, unfortunate for those who gave thinking that the sharing of proceeds would be different.
Hopefully the families of the few who gave their lives fighting the fires will benefit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-25/celeste-barber-bushfire-fundraiser-money-only-for-rfs/12282016

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #835 on: May 25, 2020, 06:39:06 PM »
Good to see that dope Celeste Barbour get a lesson in law today, unfortunate for those who gave thinking that the sharing of proceeds would be different.
Hopefully the families of the few who gave their lives fighting the fires will benefit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-25/celeste-barber-bushfire-fundraiser-money-only-for-rfs/12282016

I’m sorry but calling her a dope is a bit harsh, she went in to this with the best of intentions, it snowballed to a massive total which no one could have foreseen. Maybe the decision of the courts not to allow the RFS to donate some of the monies to other charities is where your ire should be.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #836 on: May 25, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »
I’m sorry but calling her a dope is a bit harsh, she went in to this with the best of intentions, it snowballed to a massive total which no one could have foreseen. Maybe the decision of the courts not to allow the RFS to donate some of the monies to other charities is where your ire should be.

Sorry Pottsy  maybe a bit harsh calling her a dope, but she was critiquing many in leadership roles during the crisis and thought she could solve all.
Maybe I should of said  she was a bit naive with he pleads to public

She nominated the NSW RFS as the beneficiary of the campaign and set a funding target of $30,000,
she raised $51.3 million,
After far exceeding her fundraising goal, she subsequently stated on social media that the money would also be distributed to rural fire services from other states, including Victoria and South Australia, victims of the summer bushfire crisis as well as wildlife funds.

I glad that justice  was seen to be done in this case, in that charitable organisations can’t decide how money should be spent outside prescribed guidelines. This presents misuse of funds.

The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #837 on: May 25, 2020, 07:00:33 PM »
Yep, sadly now those who have the power to raise large sums are going to have to be very careful as to whom and how charitable funds will be distributed.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #838 on: May 25, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
They just wont ever donate again... Great outcome.
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #839 on: May 25, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
Exactly this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #840 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
They just wont ever donate again... Great outcome.

Not to charities that Celeste Barbour spruik.

As I say it is a great outcome that charity laws were tested and stand and so can’t be abused.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #841 on: May 25, 2020, 07:18:17 PM »
How much did you raise Rags ?
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #842 on: May 25, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
Cant quite get my head around how someone who wanted to help becomes a villain because lots of other people also wanted to help and donated too much money.
Time to readjust our compasses people.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #843 on: May 25, 2020, 07:45:40 PM »
How much did you raise Rags ?

Actually xcvator  I didn’t raise a cent but rather I volunteer and give in other ways, let me see
Before moving, I volunteered with RFS for some 20 plus years,

Besides that I have volunteered  a combination of both labour and materials to provide both plumbing and drainage along with labour to roof and clad not one but 3 new rfs sheds in my old area.
I have done similar helping rebuild colleagues homes lost to fire whilst out fighting fires.

For me it was easy to do that work rather than dipping in to my wallet and donate cash, although plumbing gear doesn’t come cheaply. There is a sense of community good associated with helping. I would estimate that little contribution to be well in excess of $50k heading close to a lazy $100k but then again I have never added it up.

In the last fires I drove over a 1000 km to NSW to don the overalls and help out in the fires because I could.

If you know volunteer firefighters they will go spend their own $  instead of waiting for head office to give you the funds to buy something,
So no I didn’t offer any funds to the Celeste fire fund but I’m glad that as a result of there being some $51 mil then hopefully the NSW RFS troops will again have some $ to continue to be the leading Rural fire service in the country.

I could go onto the other volunteer plumbing and building work that I have been involved in but that’s not what this is about.

And you xcavator?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:51:35 PM by rags »

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #844 on: May 25, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »
Actually xcvator  I didn’t raise a cent but rather I volunteer and give in other ways, let me see
Before moving, I volunteered with RFS for some 20 plus years,

Besides that I have volunteered  a combination of both labour and materials to provide both plumbing and drainage along with labour to roof and clad not one but 3 new rfs sheds in my old area.
I have done similar helping rebuild colleagues homes lost to fire whilst out fighting fires.

For me it was easy to do that work rather than dipping in to my wallet and donate cash, although plumbing gear doesn’t come cheaply. There is a sense of community good associated with helping. I would estimate that little contribution to be well in excess of $50k heading close to a lazy $100k but then again I have never added it up.

In the last fires I drove over a 1000 km to NSW to don the overalls and help out in the fires because I could.

If you know volunteer firefighters they will go spend their own $  instead of waiting for head office to give you the funds to buy something,
So no I didn’t offer any funds to the Celeste fire fund but I’m glad that as a result of there being some $51 mil then hopefully the NSW RFS troops will again have some $ to continue to be the leading Rural fire service in the country.

I could go onto the other volunteer plumbing and building work that I have been involved in but that’s not what this is about.

And you xcavator?
Not about me Rags, you're the one slagging somebody that TRIED THEIR BEST and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, but you seem to think that she should have employed a QC just in case she raised a couple of dollars, and in all you're admirable volunteering I guess that you never ever made a mistake have you.
And when are you going to get stuck into this bloke https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-19/from-captain-to-colonel-to-sir-tom-a-knighthood-for-100-year-old-charity-champion/ 
Should be fair game for you
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #845 on: May 25, 2020, 09:04:16 PM »
Not about me Rags, you're the one slagging somebody that TRIED THEIR BEST and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, but you seem to think that she should have employed a QC just in case she raised a couple of dollars, and in all you're admirable volunteering I guess that you never ever made a mistake have you.
And when are you going to get stuck into this bloke https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-19/from-captain-to-colonel-to-sir-tom-a-knighthood-for-100-year-old-charity-champion/ 
Should be fair game for you

As I pointed out to Pottsy above, maybe my comment re she being a dope was out of order. I however do not step away from the fact that I’m glad justice was seen to be done today in that you can’t go changing the rules of how a charity should dispense with funds donated outside of the charity rules. If you do you would end up with charity managers given money to their cousins neighbour to fund a Reno in the charity managers home.
Maybe she should of got some law advice first, as she appear to be an expert in the days of the fires around government management of fires, climate change and other similar matters. I’m sure she could of easily asked the question but I suggest the RFS managers were otherwise preoccupied.

The fix would be for the NSW govt to give an equal amount from their budget to other interstate fire agencies but that would only come at the expense of the operating budget of the RFS.

Oh and I’m grateful for the work of Sir Tom, we need more people like Tom who do great work in silence and with a grateful generous heart and do it whilst not to expect fanfare. I would suggest he in fact maybe a bit embarrassed.
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #846 on: May 25, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »

I have seen other people blame the courts (more so than you have here), but they don't make the rules, they just interpret them, they don't decide on where the money goes too, they decide on the legality of the matter. If you want to go looking to see if there is any "blame" to be attributed, then Celeste has to wear the lions share of it, in January she posted

“It’s going to the RFS and it will be distributed out, I’m going to make sure that Victoria gets some, that South Australia gets some, also families of people who have died in these fires, the wildlife.

“I’m hearing you all. I want you to know that, otherwise why raise this money if it’s not going to go to the people who absolutely need it.”

I remember hearing from a number of different sources at the time that it doesn't work that way. I am not having a go at her, I think she did well to raise a bucket load, but she was pretty happy to criticise people about the handling of the bushfires at the time so that probably makes her a bit more fair game IMHO.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #847 on: May 25, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
And if you don't have strict legislative rules around how charity funds are used, this can happen:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-17/nsw-rsl-president-don-rowe-sentenced-for-fraud-offences/12156880

Sorry, but it is why knowing how and what your money is going to is important; I look at things like some of the variety bashes etc, and the costs of taking part in them.

I then look at the Scrap Heap Adventure Ride we did a few years ago which raises money for Downs Syndrome NSW:
http://www.scrapheapadventureride.com.au/
$100 registration, and then raise as much as possible (the team we rode with have raised around $25,000 over the last 3 rides) that then goes to DSNSW. Bike? Under $1k, hell, the first year, the support vehicle (D1 3dr discovery) was under $1k as well!

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #848 on: May 25, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »
And if you don't have strict legislative rules around how charity funds are used, this can happen:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-17/nsw-rsl-president-don-rowe-sentenced-for-fraud-offences/12156880

Sorry, but it is why knowing how and what your money is going to is important; I look at things like some of the variety bashes etc, and the costs of taking part in them.

I then look at the Scrap Heap Adventure Ride we did a few years ago which raises money for Downs Syndrome NSW:
http://www.scrapheapadventureride.com.au/
$100 registration, and then raise as much as possible (the team we rode with have raised around $25,000 over the last 3 rides) that then goes to DSNSW. Bike? Under $1k, hell, the first year, the support vehicle (D1 3dr discovery) was under $1k as well!

Thanks Ed, I didn’t know about that ride. The Downs Syndrome, but more specifically the Challenge Foundation was an area that my now departed mum worked tirelessly for raising money. She did this as my now 54 year old brother has Downs and through this charity he has had somewhere to turn up to 5 days per week and has so since he was 16.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #849 on: May 25, 2020, 10:04:28 PM »
Thanks Ed, I didn’t know about that ride. The Downs Syndrome, but more specifically the Challenge Foundation was an area that my now departed mum worked tirelessly for raising money. She did this as my now 54 year old brother has Downs and through this charity he has had somewhere to turn up to 5 days per week and has so since he was 16.

We started taking part as a mate's niece had DS, and unfortunately the complications that come from DS as well - it wasn't the DS that took her, it was cancer... before she was 10 years old. She would have been 20 this year.

The best thing at Scrapheap was all the UpClub members who got stuck in and joined in with the fun and games, and came over for a chat - especially with those they knew from previous rides.

This was our first year support vehicle; the Discovery and the "Shed" - a stock crate crudely wrapped in a tarps to keep things drier.
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19748448_10213993309337288_6473105743983054650_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=mupGgVUye3MAX_ZRBXW&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=02e543a546f58fcbdd1c22872c54eeda&oe=5EF3315B

I like it because you can do whatever you like - the guys start from here and then find all the back roads to get to the destination for a weekend of talking rubbish, riding occasionally, telling tall tales of adventures and then talking about how they're getting home now that their scrapper has broken __________ (insert broken part(s) here), oh, and planning next years scrapper...