Author Topic: What’s making news - 2020  (Read 9941 times)

KeithB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:13 AM »
Once again the environment has to pay for our greed and stupidity...

More laziness really. It is possible to recycle fibreglass. Wind turbines are probably much less in number than fibreglass boats. We just need the will.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/blogs/the-future-of-fiberglass-recycling-boats

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
More laziness really. It is possible to recycle fibreglass. Wind turbines are probably much less in number than fibreglass boats. We just need the will.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/blogs/the-future-of-fiberglass-recycling-boats

I say greed mate because if a dollar cant be made the environment finishes a sad second..

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »

https://www.chooseenergy.com/news/article/wind-turbine-blades-cause-issue-with-waste/
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
Well, microsoft has stopped all upgrades for win7........who cares............after win10 caused havoc for my computer, I turned off all upgrades yrs ago ( something you can't do for win 10 ).

Hopefully my old win 7 laptop will cruise along under the radar for a few more yrs yet !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »
     Hopefully my old win 7 laptop will cruise along under the radar for a few more yrs yet !!

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3514436/windows-7-end-of-support-separating-the-bull-from-the-horns.html

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3514436/windows-7-end-of-support-separating-the-bull-from-the-horns.html
No reason for it not to either!
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
No reason for it not to either!

Yeh, I hope so...my 90 yr old mum has win 10 and I hate it....Opening web pages are SLOW compared to mine, general web browsing is in my opinion not as smooth.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »
I kept using 98SE for many years, then XP and will continue to use 7 fo.r as long as I can.
I still format and reinstall the Windows partition every 6 months or so and have never had a problem.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2020, 05:39:49 AM »
I kept using 98SE for many years, then XP and will continue to use 7 fo.r as long as I can.
I still format and reinstall the Windows partition every 6 months or so and have never had a problem.

Why do you format it ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2020, 06:18:47 AM »
After a few months windows will bloat and end up 3 or 4 times the size, and slows down accordingly.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2020, 06:29:22 AM »
Yeh, I hope so...my 90 yr old mum has win 10 and I hate it....Opening web pages are SLOW compared to mine, general web browsing is in my opinion not as smooth.

It must be her computer that is slow..or internet connection.  I,ve had windows 10 since it was released and my web pages open super fast. I,ve progressed since windows 98 and apart from Vista, I,ve not regretted updating with the new systems as they are released.  10 had some issues but now it is hugely successful with many millions having no issues at all...most issues are owner generated, lack of protection  or incompatible software. I have found that most people dont have much idea about clearing history, cache,etc. and how to optimise their computers for speed and reliability.  Many of the customers I went to really needed to just get a little more knowledgeable about how their computer operates for best results. Quality software, quality protection and regular updates see vast majority of computers running along fine.  You wouldn't run your car for several years with no maintenance yet many expect their computer to perform at its best whenever the owner wants...regardless of what trash has been collected and stored on it. It also helps to do an annual check and get rid of any unwanted files, programs and do a good cleanup of the system....can certainly make it perform quicker .

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »
After a few months windows will bloat and end up 3 or 4 times the size, and slows down accordingly.

Would that still happen once "support has ended" & so presumably no more updates would come out ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
I like windows 10, 8 was crap though.

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2020, 08:22:23 AM »
Would that still happen once "support has ended" & so presumably no more updates would come out ???
Yes, very much so.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
It must be her computer that is slow..or internet connection.  I,ve had windows 10 since it was released and my web pages open super fast.  .

Don't know...the computer is fairly new ( less than 4 yrs old ) , her internet is fibre to the house.

My old win 7 has a home page full of tiles...I pick a tile ( like my swag ) and after finishing with it, close it and then pick another tile.
On my other laptop with Win 10...I can get a screen with tiles on it, but not the home screen ? The screen with tiles on it are found by using the windows button, but if I close a website, it goes back to the home screen....so a crap idea for me ..

As for performing formats and cleaning the system, for the average joe blow, that stuff is not explained to them and certainly not shown to them .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
Don't know...the computer is fairly new ( less than 4 yrs old ) , her internet is fibre to the house.

My old win 7 has a home page full of tiles...I pick a tile ( like my swag ) and after finishing with it, close it and then pick another tile.
On my other laptop with Win 10...I can get a screen with tiles on it, but not the home screen ? The screen with tiles on it are found by using the windows button, but if I close a website, it goes back to the home screen....so a crap idea for me ..

As for performing formats and cleaning the system, for the average joe blow, that stuff is not explained to them and certainly not shown to them .
[/s][/b]

I always recommend that if the more senior or computer illiterate would like to get into computing and how to get the most from them...enroll in a cheap computer course. Often libraries, senior clubs, councils and other organizations run classes on how to use and sort out issues with computers.  Of course you cant beat experience.  The more you use it the better you get.  Google is also full of answers for most problems.  If all else fails...ask a 10 year old kid to fix it!!!
 :cheers:

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »
[/s][/b]

I always recommend that if the more senior or computer illiterate would like to get into computing and how to get the most from them...enroll in a cheap computer course. Often libraries, senior clubs, councils and other organizations run classes on how to use and sort out issues with computers.  Of course you cant beat experience.  The more you use it the better you get.  Google is also full of answers for most problems.  If all else fails...ask a 10 year old kid to fix it!!!
 :cheers:

Computer course.......that would be like reading the instructions for something you just bought ???   ;D

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
Is this another sign of how bad aussie retail is at moment

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/german-retail-giant-kaufland-abandons-australia-despite-millions-in-investment-20200122-p53tqe.html
Or maybe that looked at what happened to Masters and went, Yeah-Nah.

You also just have to look at Amazon. How much impact have they really had in Australia?

But there is no doubt bricks and mortar retail is hurting big time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigpickle

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
Business in the West is at an all time low.

A tattoo parlour in my suburb closed down recently and where I live is 75% feral.

I never thought things would get that bad.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
Is anyone remotely surprised that large chunks of the Hundreds of Millions in donated Aide money is being syphoned off and with held by " The Charities ' .. Happens every time and they get caught out, come up with some excuse,  But are still allowed to continue on till the next disaster .. Another repeat offender .
https://www.news.com.au/national/red-cross-withholding-portion-of-funds-for-bushfires-is-absolutely-wrong/video/023f27f3650d3a732baa8d0db99fd014 ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »
Is anyone remotely surprised that large chunks of the Hundreds of Millions in donated Aide money is being syphoned off and with held by " The Charities ' .. Happens every time and they get caught out, come up with some excuse,  But are still allowed to continue on till the next disaster .. Another repeat offender .
https://www.news.com.au/national/red-cross-withholding-portion-of-funds-for-bushfires-is-absolutely-wrong/video/023f27f3650d3a732baa8d0db99fd014 ..
It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. If a comedian can mobilise people to donate 10s of millions of dollars, just imagine if that same level of energy was directed in a negative campaign against the Red Cross!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2020, 04:45:06 AM »
RIP Terry Jones. One of the great comedic geniuses.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51209197?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(  Another of the all time greats gone .. But as they say  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M  Thanks for the entertainment  .. R.I.P.   ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "