Author Topic: What’s making news - 2020  (Read 54962 times)

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2020, 05:15:32 AM »
Agree. I was also under the impression it was compensation for lost wages.

I don’t think I really want to be on the fire line with "volunteers" that are there trying to make a profit.

(30 year, 3rd generation CFA vol)
The boss of NSW RFS Shane Fitzsimmons when asked about payment for the volunteers said he was against paying volunteers as it would change the whole ethos of volunteering, but he was in favour of compensating the volunteers for loss of income (self employed, etc, etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2020, 06:02:20 AM »
Aren’t share prices at or close to record highs? As i recall the ASX went up by something like 18% last year so super should be doing ok.

ASX is only one small component...depends on your portfolio. Super has been going ahead leaps and bounds for several years.  5 years after retiring I have been living well, buying whatever and good income stream....I now have more money in my super than when I retired!!!  I also talked a couple of mates into swapping their super accounts and consolidating other accounts. Both have said that their super has never looked so good or performed as well.  Smiles all round!!  Too many people do not pay enough attention to their superannuation account.  Just ignoring it and thinking that all is well is foolish without regular checks and comparisons.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2020, 06:30:07 AM »
Trump is many things, but I think he is probably the least war mongering President the US has had in a long time. Just costs to much money from his perspective, hence why he pulled out of Syria and left the Kurds to fend for themselves.

If there is a dollar in it trump will do whatever.  Money is his motivating force in his life (as well as his ego) and always will be. Syria has vast oil reserves and America has over many years been itching to get their hands on it one way or another. The US government are actually looking at limiting trumps war powers now as a result of his actions. As soon as he speaks you know he,s is telling porkies..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2020, 06:50:08 AM »
Aren’t share prices at or close to record highs? As i recall the ASX went up by something like 18% last year so super should be doing ok.

Yep, my super has gone up fairly good in the previous year, but performance would have been even better if Trump had put his brain into gear instead of grandstanding a few times.
If the bottom line crashes 10 grand, it doesn't bounce back as quick as it goes down.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Daz100

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Yeah... Why Not
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »
Certainly plenty of interest in Warnie's Baggy green.

Currently at 900K

https://www.pickles.com.au/general/item/-/details/Shane-Warne-s-Baggy-Green---Autographed-Certificate-of-Authenticity-Included-/1090013024

all for a great cause which is great to see

Cheers

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 06:57:52 AM »
ASX is only one small component...depends on your portfolio. Super has been going ahead leaps and bounds for several years.  5 years after retiring I have been living well, buying whatever and good income stream....I now have more money in my super than when I retired!!! 

I wish I had enough super to live off the interest. Not quite there yet.
Some are predicting a bad year in 2020 for investments,  so I'll stick it out and see what happens next year ?
Are you with a big super company mate ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
I wish I had enough super to live off the interest. Not quite there yet.
Some are predicting a bad year in 2020 for investments,  so I'll stick it out and see what happens next year ?
Are you with a big super company mate ?

You dont have to have enough super to just live off the interest...its nice but not necessary.  Another furphy is you need a million dollars...a myth generated by the big private super providers. I would say anyone who owns everything, is around 65 , has about $500,000 will quite easily live off their super with a top up from the pension. Peoples  opportunities and playing the cards they are dealt through life dictates how you manage your senior years. Some are lucky or fortunate, others not so. I,m with Telstra Super as I did thirty years with them.  As my mates didn't qualify for Telstra (have to be related to me or work for Telstra) I suggested Australian Super after I did due diligence and had other mates who have done alright from them. Know of some who were with AMP  and some supers related to the banks....thieving buggers!!! To do really well you need to be in an industry, corporate or retail type super and not one of the private ones (IMHO).  Salary sacrifice is a bonus if you can do it. Self managed funds are the biggest risks and more people come unstuck compared to mainstream super providers. Self managed really require you to be on the ball.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 08:14:23 AM »
Too many people do not pay enough attention to their superannuation account.  Just ignoring it and thinking that all is well is foolish without regular checks and comparisons.

Especially those people who just went with whatever the company had as their default fund at the time, & even more so if

Know of some who were with AMP  and some supers related to the banks....thieving buggers!!! To do really well you need to be in an industry, corporate or retail type super and not one of the private ones (IMHO) ... Self managed funds are the biggest risks and more people come unstuck compared to mainstream super providers. Self managed really require you to be on the ball.

:'(
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 09:14:13 AM »
737 down with ~180 killed :'(

I can already hear the conspiracy theories starting to gather ::)

Now appearing possible that jet was shot down by Iranian military ??? :'(, possibly "accidentally" ??? ??? ???

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-10/canadian-pm-says-intelligence-shows-iran-shot-down-ukraine-plane/11857086
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »
Quote from: Fizzie
Now appearing possible that jet was shot down by Iranian military ??? :'(, possibly "accidentally" ??? ??? ???
Captain Obvious Moment...
Fixed ;) That was always going to be the end result.
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-10/canadian-pm-says-intelligence-shows-iran-shot-down-ukraine-plane/11857086

Very common accident.  They were actually trying to scare birds off the tarmac..... :angel:

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
Syria has vast oil reserves and America has over many years been itching to get their hands on it one way or another.

America is actually a net exporter of oil products now, putting the boots on the ground in the middle east to just get access to oil that they don't really need makes no financial sense. Have an objective look at what Trump has done while in office (not through the lens of  you automatically thinking everything he has done is wrong) and you will likely see that he has quite consistently tried to limit spending on overseas deployments and get allies of the US to pull their weight as opposed to just relying on the US to be the world's policeman.

I am no fan of Trump on the whole but as I said, I think you will find he has been the least keen of any recent US president (Obama included) to get into actual conflict.

The US government are actually looking at limiting trumps war powers now as a result of his actions.

The Democratic controlled house has actually just voted in favour, but this is has no real effect and is more about playing politics than it is actually doing anything.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
and is more about playing politics than it is actually doing anything.

how i see politics
-
Click to enlarge

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
You dont have to have enough super to just live off the interest...its nice but not necessary.  Another furphy is you need a million dollars...a myth generated by the big private super providers. I would say anyone who owns everything, is around 65 , has about $500,000 will quite easily live off their super with a top up from the pension. Peoples  opportunities and playing the cards they are dealt through life dictates how you manage your senior years. Some are lucky or fortunate, others not so. I,m with Telstra Super as I did thirty years with them.  As my mates didn't qualify for Telstra (have to be related to me or work for Telstra) I suggested Australian Super after I did due diligence and had other mates who have done alright from them. Know of some who were with AMP  and some supers related to the banks....thieving buggers!!! To do really well you need to be in an industry, corporate or retail type super and not one of the private ones (IMHO).  Salary sacrifice is a bonus if you can do it. Self managed funds are the biggest risks and more people come unstuck compared to mainstream super providers. Self managed really require you to be on the ball.

I relate to nearly all of that.....except I'm only 61.....another 6yrs to pension age ( if they don't  shift the goalposts before then ).
I'd like to retire next year, but I'll see how super goes this year......how I feel next year.....??
Another option is to volunteer ( work for the dole ) 2 days a week (15hrs ) and bludge off all the taxpayers for a few years !!  ;D ;D, and top up with my super.!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
Certainly plenty of interest in Warnie's Baggy green.

Currently at 900K

https://www.pickles.com.au/general/item/-/details/Shane-Warne-s-Baggy-Green---Autographed-Certificate-of-Authenticity-Included-/1090013024

all for a great cause which is great to see

Cheers

$1,007,500 ...

That is how much money Shane Warne's 'Baggy Green' has sold for, to someone called M.C from Sydney. The proceeds go to the bushfire appeal. Are you M.C from Sydney? Get in touch if you please!
-
Click to enlarge

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
$1,007,500 ...

That is how much money Shane Warne's 'Baggy Green' has sold for, to someone called M.C from Sydney. The proceeds go to the bushfire appeal. Are you M.C from Sydney? Get in touch if you please!

Commonwealth Bank
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »
RIP Neil Peart.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51072190

Can't not include a classic Rush performance ....washing machines and all...
https://youtu.be/AtuHx3Qfrg4

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
Finally someone has told the truth about the bushfires...

Daily Mail
Israel Folau breaks down in tears as he says Australians 'should've asked Jesus for help' before bushfires ravaged the nation - after delivering THAT sermon saying blazes are 'God's punishment' for gay marriage

I thought Morrisson supplied bucket loads of hope and prayers....

Offline DandyD

• Tent User
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
I relate to nearly all of that.....except I'm only 61.....another 6yrs to pension age ( if they don't  shift the goalposts before then ).
I'd like to retire next year, but I'll see how super goes this year......how I feel next year.....??

I've decided to retire next year... 31st December 2021. That way I still get paid for the Christmas break. I'd go tomorrow if I could afford it.

I've worked at the same place for over 30 years and enjoyed it (mostly) but the old boss died last year and the new regime has started to take the piss.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 05:05:18 AM »
I've decided to retire next year... 31st December 2021. That way I still get paid for the Christmas break. I'd go tomorrow if I could afford it.

I've worked at the same place for over 30 years and enjoyed it (mostly) but the old boss died last year and the new regime has started to take the piss.
I know the feeling DanyD. I’ve been retired for a few years now and nearly always find myself something to do, you’ll love it.

Let the countdown begin.

Online Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 05:15:15 AM »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
Another good news story;
https://abc.net.au/news/2020-01-13/uk-journalist-pranked-into-holding-a-drop-bear-during-bushfires/11863942?pfmredir=sm

Gotta watch out for those drop bears.... ;D ;D

Ceratinly was a good news story...Nearly 80% of the koalas have been killed.  Very tragic....

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
Renewables are a great idea.....even if they aren't recyclable !!

https://www.educationviews.org/landfill-begins-burying-non-recyclable-wind-turbine-blades/?fbclid=IwAR2HkSNPNSO8OxU3fey_DB5icslumnIpXK1n8OQX1Ej0tY17-Yj8Cu1q1Jo
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 06:36:09 AM »
Renewables are a great idea.....even if they aren't recyclable !!

https://www.educationviews.org/landfill-begins-burying-non-recyclable-wind-turbine-blades/?fbclid=IwAR2HkSNPNSO8OxU3fey_DB5icslumnIpXK1n8OQX1Ej0tY17-Yj8Cu1q1Jo

Once again the environment has to pay for our greed and stupidity...