Author Topic: What’s making news - 2020  (Read 66540 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
Re: What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2020, 10:39:16 AM »
Remember a while back.
A couple of blokes up that way got sick of the Blue badge of reality not doing anything, Caught a couple of offenders in their house and took them on a ride out into the country .. gave them a good dust up, stripped them and strung them up ..
Back in the day,
The coppers use to do it for ya.
21 Division. :)
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
Back in the day,
The coppers use to do it for ya.
21 Division. :)

Not just 21 Division either
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
Doing their people proud aren't they.

But why aren't the "Elders" doing something about it ???

Or is it that they don't care what's going on, or the kids don't care what they say ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »

Or is it that they don't care what's going on, or the kids don't care what they say ???

Its the same as the white trash who dont look after their kids or the african parents who dont give a fark either.  There is a Shitload of inhospitable land outback that would be a great place for a canvas tent, 20 litres of water and a few loaves of bread.  Send the scum out there for a week or two.    Plenty of good , long drop holes out Coopa Pedy as well.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
I love living in Crimesville
Last week we had over 140 break-ins and 32 cars stolen.
Apparently it is a core group of 60 juveniles who are 'known to police'
The scum have now been targetting aged care facilities.
Even stole some old guy's insulin, realised it wasn't anything they could use & just smashed it.... Doing their people proud aren't they.
One pizza shop they smashed the glass door just to steal 6 cokes.

I am so waiting for the day when they break into the wrong house and someone just goes postal on them.

I moved from Townsville 3 years ago and loved it there. Must say know though, the place has turned to crap with the crazy level of crime. I have no intention of ever going back. Unfortunately I still have my house there and the housing market is also on the piss so I cant really get out of there completely. It is a shame as it is a beautiful city with so much to offer and great people.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »

Many years ago now, about late 1996 was talking to the them (now deceased) Aboriginal Elder where I was working.  She was the Elder, Leader and referred to by the Aboriginal Community as the 'Queen of the Blacks'.   

We got talking about a lot of things and the subject of the youth and crime came up.  She said as a young girl if she saw the Elders walking down the street she had learnt to make way for them and move out of their way, a sign of respect.  She said now, when her and other Elders walked down the street the youth would spit on her feet just as quick as they would mine. 

Her reasoning why.  The lack of discipline from parents and other bodies.  Followed by the recently introduced Child Protection Policy.  Parents, black through to white, just did not know what they could do so the children were never disciplined and the children never learnt the basics of right and wrong and never learnt or understood respect. 

That was in 1996, we are now 2020.  24 years later we are into our possible third generation of children with no discipline, no respect, no morals but they do hold the victim Card.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
Quote from: alnjan
but they do hold the victim Card.
Bigger than ayres rock that card.
-
Click to enlarge

Offline Fox67

• Swag User
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2020, 10:27:10 PM »
We relocated our eldest to Townsville last weekend to start uni at James Cook next week. He is 24 so we are a bit more relaxed than if he was just out of school. I was on the lookout over the weekend for any signs of trouble and saw absolutely nothing. He is in a new suburb next to the uni, quite some distance from “town”, looks really friendly and family oriented. Hadn’t been to Townsville for a few years but it all came back pretty quick, it really is a nice city to visit once you get used to the heat.

Houses broken into in his street on Monday and Tuesday nights, so I think he is rethinking his casual approach to security.
2017 Lexus NX200T
2019 Landcruiser 200 VX TTD
Tent and some camping gear

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2020, 01:03:18 AM »
Speaking as someone who was born in Townsville and lived here for almost all of my 70 years, I certainly don't spend my days in "fear of my life" or "terrified to go out", out of all my friends and relations (a considerable number of people) who live here I can only recollect 3 occasions over the last 15 years any of them have experienced a breakin, which considering the number of people involved is miniscule.

I certainly acknowledge there is crime as there is in any relatively large city, but the media are also milking this to death with some of their reporting, 2 recent events that occurred last year come to mind.

One is the large bus that was stolen by 2 people and eventually stopped by police, the media were quite happy to show the bus being stopped but omitted to say the bus was stolen 60 km away and then driven to Townsville by a male and female who were residents of Cairns.

The other event was a serious assault of a man requiring hospitalisation, the offenders had actually driven down from Mareeba, simply because they thought they would have had a better chance of getting away with it because of the greater population density in Townsville.

The widow of an old workmate of mine who lives in Parramatta Park in Cairns was broken into recently and the house ransacked while she was sleeping, sheer luck the car had a flat battery otherwise it would have gone as well, she was telling me on the phone that the detective who came to the property to investigate, said the crime rate there is very similar to Townsville but doesn't seem to get the same media attention.

I think a lot of the crime is a sign of the times as another poster commented in an earlier post, prior to retirement I spent several years in the education system, in the manual arts area, and from my observations, the attitude to behaviour and criminality was pretty much the same across the racial origins, be it white, indigenous or immigrants.

The education system was at that stage talking about introducing a course to "teach respect" which, as I commented at the time to everybody who was at the forum, teaching respect to kids from the age of 13 or 14 up to 17 or older was probably doomed to failure, as this should have been done by the parents when the kids were much much younger.
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, Spada, paceman, Fizzie

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
Speaking as someone who was born in Townsville and lived here for almost all of my 70 years, I certainly don't spend my days in "fear of my life" or "terrified to go out", out of all my friends and relations (a considerable number of people) who live here I can only recollect 3 occasions over the last 15 years any of them have experienced a breakin, which considering the number of people involved is miniscule.

I certainly acknowledge there is crime as there is in any relatively large city, but the media are also milking this to death with some of their reporting, 2 recent events that occurred last year come to mind.

One is the large bus that was stolen by 2 people and eventually stopped by police, the media were quite happy to show the bus being stopped but omitted to say the bus was stolen 60 km away and then driven to Townsville by a male and female who were residents of Cairns.

The other event was a serious assault of a man requiring hospitalisation, the offenders had actually driven down from Mareeba, simply because they thought they would have had a better chance of getting away with it because of the greater population density in Townsville.

The widow of an old workmate of mine who lives in Parramatta Park in Cairns was broken into recently and the house ransacked while she was sleeping, sheer luck the car had a flat battery otherwise it would have gone as well, she was telling me on the phone that the detective who came to the property to investigate, said the crime rate there is very similar to Townsville but doesn't seem to get the same media attention.

I think a lot of the crime is a sign of the times as another poster commented in an earlier post, prior to retirement I spent several years in the education system, in the manual arts area, and from my observations, the attitude to behaviour and criminality was pretty much the same across the racial origins, be it white, indigenous or immigrants.

The education system was at that stage talking about introducing a course to "teach respect" which, as I commented at the time to everybody who was at the forum, teaching respect to kids from the age of 13 or 14 up to 17 or older was probably doomed to failure, as this should have been done by the parents when the kids were much much younger.

You are more than likely correct re the media. I lived in Townsville from age 13 until I was 37, I purchased my home there in Kirwan in 2006 and never had any issues re theft and or break and enters. My house now has renters and we have had 4 attempted break in's since we moved away. Thankfully all unsuccessful but have all costed me around 300 bucks for repairs. 2 other houses in our street not so lucky with cars stolen etc.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »

Happens everywhere...people often travel to another town to practice their illegal crafts!   
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »
Happens everywhere...people often travel to another town to practice their illegal crafts!
Townsville is a long way to travel.

Probably because politicians, police hierarchy and magistrates still believe in rehabilitation and not punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2020, 02:40:42 PM »
Townsville is a long way to travel.

Probably because politicians, police hierarchy and magistrates still believe in rehabilitation and not punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palm Island is a stone throw away...many of Townsvilles problems come from here.  Cairns also suffers from outside scumbags.  We dont need outside scum running amuck....Like every other palce in Oz that has a crime problem...the locals keep the cops busy enough!

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
Fibbers, taken last night

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2020, 12:08:44 PM »
https://www.caradvice.com.au/827459/holden-axed-in-australia-as-general-motors-gets-out-of-right-hand-drive-globally/

Holden axed in Australia as General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive globally
-
Click to enlarge

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »
https://www.caradvice.com.au/827459/holden-axed-in-australia-as-general-motors-gets-out-of-right-hand-drive-globally/

Holden axed in Australia as General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive globally

And on the ABC:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/holden-car-brand-axed-after-160-years-in-australia/11972092

Does make sense though; after GM sold Vauxhall/Opel to PSA, the writing was on the wall really - it's just not economic to develop RHD for only a few markets that don't have huge volumes.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
Does make sense though; after GM sold Vauxhall/Opel to PSA, the writing was on the wall really - it's just not economic to develop RHD for only a few markets that don't have huge volumes.

Agree on all points. Sad but true.
-
Click to enlarge

CTL

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
So what happens to the Colorado/Trailblazer now that GM have sold their Thai factory to Great Wall?  Will the Colorado be a rebadged Great Wall?  Or just no more Colorados?  Not good for resale value if you own one!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:49:15 PM by CTL »

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
Not good for resale value if you own one!

Holden has never had good resale
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
We all know that gender equality is the norm now days, this is the latest issue. Your favourite Australian sport AFL needs to get itself in to the new political correct world
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/should-afl-be-rebranded-aflm-to-reflect-status-with-aflw/11971866

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »
Bathurst & the SuperCars will be interesting next year if there no Ford v Holden fight! >:D

If it's that un-econoical, you'd have to wonder  how long Ford will stay in the Aussie market ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
We all know that gender equality is the norm now days, this is the latest issue. Your favourite Australian sport AFL needs to get itself in to the new political correct world
[ email] https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/should-afl-be-rebranded-aflm-to-reflect-status-with-aflw/11971866[/email ]

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/should-afl-be-rebranded-aflm-to-reflect-status-with-aflw/11971866
Fixed it for you... :)
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Bathurst & the SuperCars will be interesting next year
no it wont :D
-
Click to enlarge