Author Topic: What’s making news - 2020  (Read 37358 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What’s making news - 2020
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2020, 08:01:30 AM »
:'( :'( :'(  Another of the all time greats gone .. But as they say  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M  Thanks for the entertainment  .. R.I.P.   ..
In typical Monty Python humour, John Cleese said, two down, two to go!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
 :'(
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie:  Sunliner Holiday 18' caravan

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
:'(
"He's not the Messia, he's just a very naughty boy"
Thanks for all the laughs and humour over the years Terry. R.I.P.

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2020, 07:18:11 PM »
Didnt know this one but makes sense.

This week, Transport for NSW announced trial fines and parking limits in two popular rest stops in the state's north, following calls for the government to stamp out a rise in recreational vehicles using these stops for overnight or extended stays, thereby preventing truck drivers from taking mandated rest breaks.

In an effort to combat fatigue-related road incidents, the new parking restrictions have been rolled out for a six-month period in the popular Yelgun and Arrawarra rest areas along the Pacific Highway.

Under the new restrictions, four-hour limits will apply in general parking areas, while cars, camper vans and caravans parked in spaces designated for heavy vehicles will be fined $114.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/drivers-parked-in-rest-stop-truck-bays-to-face-fines-in-nsw-123136.html
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
In typical Monty Python humour, John Cleese said, two down, two to go!

Shouldn't that be two down,  four to go?
Very sad though, dementia is a horrible illness for all concerned.

Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2020, 06:21:14 AM »
Didnt know this one but makes sense.

This issue gets a lot of airplay on caravan forums and facebook and it sounds like it is a big problem for truckies. The other side of the coin though (apparently) is that there are no (or very limited) other areas dedicated for caravanners or campervans or even just car drivers where they can pull up to sleep if they are tired. Definitely don't agree that campers should be able to stay in dedicated rest areas for more than one night but there should be some facilities provided for the overnighters

Like everything else it wasn't a problem until those who view themselves as entitled have abused it. Some of the images that truckies have captured on their dashcams of some of these areas and how chockas they are really highlights the issue

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2020, 06:57:08 AM »
Not sure if the nearby caravan parks to Yengun would count as dedicated rest spots...

Old mate in his van knows when he's driving whoops i'm getting tired and need to stop.  Happens the same time everyday as the sun starts to go down.

Different story if it was a car and the driver pulled in for a power nap.
Did a quick Google and there are shed loads of options and caravan parks.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2020, 08:26:04 AM »
Free camping / resting  from Ballina to the border will generaly get you moved on / fined ..
They dont like the caravan parks, most are older style and small / tight to manouver in + you have to pay .
Seeing more and more pull up in the local clubs carparks  for overnight ++ stops  ... Some are getting smarter and parking near houses / making out they are visitors to those houses .. see that on a regular occasion .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
Quote from: Rodt
The other side of the coin though (apparently) is that there are no (or very limited) other areas dedicated for caravanners or campervans or even just car drivers where they can pull up to sleep if they are tired.
arent they called caravan parks? Its just the fossils are tighter than a snare drum to pay up
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »
arent they called caravan parks? Its just the fossils are tighter than a snare drum to pay up

No doubt there is some of that but I suppose they are also trying to make their pension and /or super last as long as possible. Caravan parks aren't always the cheaper option they used to be either.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
No doubt there is some of that but I suppose they are also trying to make their pension and /or super last as long as possible. Caravan parks aren't always the cheaper option they used to be either.

Yep, if you're on an extended trip, away for a few months, then $30 to $40 per night, and at times, the requirement to pre-book, you'd be looking at free and low cost options.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
This might be helpful for some travelers on here .. https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=50444  ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Some people have dreams, i have plans.
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:41 PM »
 >:( >:(
What the hell??!!
43 flights arrived from China TODAY!!
China should have been put into complete LOCKDOWN including all airports & flights!!
More of a lockdown is carried out for equine viruses ffs 😡

https://www.facebook.com/9NewsSydney/videos/490162055230085/UzpfSTcyOTg0NzA3MToxMDE1ODA3NDQyODEwNzA3Mg/
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »
Yep, if you're on an extended trip, away for a few months, then $30 to $40 per night, and at times, the requirement to pre-book, you'd be looking at free and low cost options.
$30 to $40 a night is a splash in the pan compared to the fines we recieve if we are caught driving outside of our hours.Even 15 minutes can result in a several hundred $ log book breach.
Designated heavy vehicle rest areas are just that........designated.We attract fines if we are caught parking in towns,close to homes and public rest areas.

We have schedules to keep unlike caravan s and the like who have plenty of time during the day to plan their stop.

Cheers.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:51 AM »
$30 to $40 a night is a splash in the pan compared to the fines we recieve if we are caught driving outside of our hours.Even 15 minutes can result in a several hundred $ log book breach.
Designated heavy vehicle rest areas are just that........designated.We attract fines if we are caught parking in towns,close to homes and public rest areas.

We have schedules to keep unlike caravan s and the like who have plenty of time during the day to plan their stop.

Cheers.

I agree with what you are saying about heavy vehicle stops, but I was just responding to a question why caravanners and swaggers may not want to use caravan parks, instead of free or low cost camp spots. I often use free camp spots myself, but never use heavy vehicle stops. Anyway, there is far too much noise parking that close to the road.

With a bit of common sense, you can often find somewhere to camp well away from noisy bloody trucks and roads anyway
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2020, 08:24:26 AM »
Kobe Bryant died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »
I agree with what you are saying about heavy vehicle stops, but I was just responding to a question why caravanners and swaggers may not want to use caravan parks, instead of free or low cost camp spots. I often use free camp spots myself, but never use heavy vehicle stops. Anyway, there is far too much noise parking that close to the road.

With a bit of common sense, you can often find somewhere to camp well away from noisy bloody trucks and roads anyway
Hey mate.
I wasn't having a go at you personally  8)
Its just very annoying and frustrating when we have to rest by law and the truck parking lanes are full of hippy vans and such. I too would rather sleep away from the noise of the highway but the brain dead RMS don't seem to see it that way.
I have always said that if they take the bend out of an old road to upgrade then why not use that piece of the road for a parking bay? Why? Mainly cause there is no revenue in a parking bay.  >:(
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
Hey mate.
I wasn't having a go at you personally  8)
Its just very annoying and frustrating when we have to rest by law and the truck parking lanes are full of hippy vans and such. I too would rather sleep away from the noise of the highway but the brain dead RMS don't seem to see it that way.
I have always said that if they take the bend out of an old road to upgrade then why not use that piece of the road for a parking bay? Why? Mainly cause there is no revenue in a parking bay.  >:(

Yep, no worries. Truck stops are precisely that, and van stops are totally different, I totally agree. But in the post you quoted, I wasn't even commenting on that, just commenting on why old fogies, backpackers and young families would be looking for free and low cost camps, for over night, as per the post I quoted.

All good anyway... just keep ya freekin truck out of my van spot OK...  ;D ;D LOL

Cheers

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »

Yep, no worries. Truck stops are precisely that, and van stops are totally different, I totally agree. But in the post you quoted, I wasn't even commenting on that, just commenting on why old fogies, backpackers and young families would be looking for free and low cost camps, for over night, as per the post I quoted.

All good anyway... just keep ya freekin truck out of my van spot OK...  ;D ;D LOL

Cheers
:P
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »
Another search  for somebody stuck on the  CSR for a week.

https://www.kalminer.com.au/news/kalgoorlie-miner/phillip-blampied-found-after-one-week-missing-on-remote-wa-4wd-track-ng-b881444237z

Carry a PLB, a sat phone, HF radio ... something

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »

So how often do you pay $45-00 p/n for 10 days in a row ?
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
[/q
Hey Mark, you need to hook up to a bitumen tank, light the burners before going to sleep guaranteed when you wake up you'll be on your own  :cup: ;D ;D

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
[/q
Hey Mark, you need to hook up to a bitumen tank, light the burners before going to sleep guaranteed when you wake up you'll be on your own  :cup: ;D ;D
I did pull up one night behind a hippy van that was parked right in the middle of a truck lane. I put the truck on high idle with the Horton fan going about 6 foot from their back door.

1/2 hour later they left.  8)
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline doc evil

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »
So how often do you pay $45-00 p/n for 10 days in a row ?

If ya can afford a 700ft blinged up, bells n whistles wobble box and a 200 series sahara tug, you sure as Shit can afford to prop in a CV park.......... ;D ;D :-*
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »
If ya can afford a 700ft blinged up, bells n whistles wobble box and a 200 series sahara tug, you sure as Shit can afford to prop in a CV park.......... ;D ;D :-*

Ha ha....sometimes a bloke has worked all his life, retired with some super, and spent most of it on the 700ft van and 200 series....but his lifestyle hasn't changed because he isn't really rich, except for his 2 new toys, so the thought of spending 50 bucks a night just to sleep is the same as some of those hippies in the Hiace vans.

But wiki camps is only $7.99, so mostly no need to camp next to a noisy truck on the side of a busy highway..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03