Author Topic: What made you smile - 2020  (Read 70023 times)

Offline BC66

• Tent User
Re: What made you smile - 2020
« Reply #1525 on: September 29, 2020, 08:09:50 AM »
In 1981 I bought my Anchultz target rifle .22 for $670. That was a lot back then. Sold it 5 years later for $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #1526 on: September 29, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
In 1981 I bought my Anchultz target rifle .22 for $670. That was a lot back then. Sold it 5 years later for $1000

I had an Anschutz .22 semi auto, with a takedown barrel, in the early 70's. With the barrel removed it would fit in my RAAF kitbag, and it travelled by train with me a couple of times between Melbourne and Brisbane. Would hate to think what would happen these days if you did that. Be we also carried 4 SLRs in the boot of my FJ Holden, from Laverton to the rifle range at Williamstown, every Wednesday arvo for shooting practice, back in those days too.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #1527 on: September 29, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »
Yep , the good ol days.
I carried my rifle around in its bag, kept it under the bed. No gun safe etc , not required.
We had a make shift target range in my mates lounge room.
As long as I was a member of the club, I didn’t need a gun license. Rules were basically non existent back then.

Offline Bigpickle

• Swag User
« Reply #1528 on: September 29, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Yep , the good ol days.
I carried my rifle around in its bag, kept it under the bed. No gun safe etc , not required.
We had a make shift target range in my mates lounge room.
As long as I was a member of the club, I didn’t need a gun license. Rules were basically non existent back then.

And that is precisely why we have rules nowadays. They never existed back then and people got hurt because there were no controls.
Some people did the right thing, others did not.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1529 on: September 29, 2020, 12:06:24 PM »
Used to have one of these, that went on plenty of trips around the country side, all packed into the but . Known here as the AR-22 ..  Did its job pretty  well for what it was .   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQgHqzud4Ks
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1530 on: September 29, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »
Used to have one of these, that went on plenty of trips around the country side, all packed into the but . Known here as the AR-22 ..  Did its job pretty  well for what it was .   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQgHqzud4Ks

I had one of those as well, when I handed it in at the gun buy back the copper thought it was just a toy and told me to go away. Told him to check again. ;D

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1531 on: September 30, 2020, 10:35:08 PM »
Dont know whether to cry or smile, Just pulled the trigger on one of these Jiggers for the Aux / fridge battery in the truck $790 AU off Renogy through Fleabay, supposedly has a 5 year Warranty ...  12Kg compared to 32 + Kg for a lead acid batt  .. Already spent this amount on a couple of Lead acid batts over the past 6+ years anyway that died  and only had 1/2 the power output usable .
Hope this blokes right . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahHWaV6Zdk and they are pretty good value .
Ohh well you Never Never Know if you never never go, So we'll give it a go .
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:06:43 PM by edz »

Offline DandyD

• Tent User
« Reply #1532 on: October 01, 2020, 03:33:26 AM »
I've got a Renogy solar controller. I was a bit dubious at first as I'd never heard of them and it was an Amazon open box bargain. It's been installed about three years now and I'm very happy with it. More so now that I added the bluetooth module.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better
« Reply #1533 on: October 02, 2020, 08:08:11 PM »
This

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1534 on: October 02, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
C'mon GG, tell your story.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
« Reply #1535 on: October 03, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
Good customer service and standing by your product.

About 6-7 years ago I bought a CTek battery sense to read battery charge by Bluetooth. 2 year warranty.
Wind the clock forward.
Couple of months ago my phone “stopped” and the new wouldn’t pair to the CTek even though the wife’s would. The new phone Bluetooth 5 should read the old CTek BT 4. Sent an email to CTech asking if they could explain why.
Seems some of the old sensors could not be read. After all that time, even though I couldn’t really recall when or where the sensor was bought because of passage of time, supplied the serial number and the new one turned up at no cost. With a letter of apology.
Can’t beat that I reckon

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #1536 on: October 03, 2020, 08:19:58 AM »
Good customer service and standing by your product.

About 6-7 years ago I bought a CTek battery sense to read battery charge by Bluetooth. 2 year warranty.
Wind the clock forward.
Couple of months ago my phone “stopped” and the new wouldn’t pair to the CTek even though the wife’s would. The new phone Bluetooth 5 should read the old CTek BT 4. Sent an email to CTech asking if they could explain why.
Seems some of the old sensors could not be read. After all that time, even though I couldn’t really recall when or where the sensor was bought because of passage of time, supplied the serial number and the new one turned up at no cost. With a letter of apology.
Can’t beat that I reckon
Who did you send the letter to?
I have two of those sensors with the same problem. Only my old phone will read them.
Cheers

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
« Reply #1537 on: October 03, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »
support@ctek.com

Pm me if you want and I’ll give you a run down on the info sought etc.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1538 on: October 03, 2020, 08:32:50 AM »
Bit the bullet and took out my 3 x 120 amp/hour Full river agm,s and have ordered 2 x 120 amp/hour Itech Lithiums.  Lightened the trailer by around 90kg.   After 3 years the Fullrivers tested at 98% capacity and a very low 2.5 ohm internal resistance.  Gotta be happy with that.  Put on gumtree for $200 each.  The Renogy in the tub of the Pajero is performing exceedingly well but went with Itech 120,s for the bit more capacity.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1539 on: October 03, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »
Bit the bullet and took out my 3 x 120 amp/hour Full river agm,s and have ordered 2 x 120 amp/hour Itech Lithiums.  Lightened the trailer by around 90kg.   After 3 years the Fullrivers tested at 98% capacity and a very low 2.5 ohm internal resistance.  Gotta be happy with that.  Put on gumtree for $200 each.  The Renogy in the tub of the Pajero is performing exceedingly well but went with Itech 120,s for the bit more capacity.

Why Itech, good reviews or what ? I've been thinking about getting "SolarKing"  2x100  as they would fit well
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #1540 on: October 03, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
With all lithium’s , check the load rating. Don’t want to spend all that money to find it’s BMS won’t run a power hungry inverter etc

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1541 on: October 03, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Why Itech, good reviews or what ? I've been thinking about getting "SolarKing"  2x100  as they would fit well

Checked out solar king.  Battery looks like a generic chinese with a very average sticker put on.  I tech also use the better quality prismatic cells. Solarking only allows a 100 amp draw.  Not that I am interested as I only use a 300watt inverter as emergency should I need one.  .  Have to ask...why would someone give you an extra 30 amp/hrs for the same price as a 120 amp battery?  Itech have had good reviews.  Not saying solarking is no good....I am just a little careful spending on something I want as a reliable camping feature. If I wanted 150amp hours I would have gone for the Renogy 170 amp battery. The 100 amp Renogy I have now is great quality and does the job well.     
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1542 on: October 03, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »
The 100 amp Renogy I have now is great quality and does the job well.   

Hey BF, can I ask what your powering with the Renogy and how its being charged ..
Just ordered a 100ah smart Renogy lifepo4 lithium .. was figuring using the 200W solar on the canopy and the Alternator [ not a smart type ] .. Worst comes to worst Ill bite the bullet for a DC / DC charger .

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1543 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »
Hey BF, can I ask what your powering with the Renogy and how its being charged ..
Just ordered a 100ah smart Renogy lifepo4 lithium .. was figuring using the 200W solar on the canopy and the Alternator [ not a smart type ] .. Worst comes to worst Ill bite the bullet for a DC / DC charger .

Would one of those booser diodes on the alternator help out? It will bump the alternator voltage to 14.2-14.4 volts. Maybe no need for a DC-DC charger.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1544 on: October 03, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »
HBK on here does them thingo 's think,   Thanks for the prompt Keith . had forgot all about them ..  :cheers:

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1545 on: October 03, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »

I run a couple of panels on the roof that put out about 10 amp max.  I also have a Victron 75/20 solar reg and a Renogy dcdc 20amp charger.  I run a 40 litre engel as a freezer.  Sits on minus 18. Recently spent 2 weeks in Burketown where the temp was 34 daytime and 20 at night. Hot and very windy, no shade and the renogy battery never got below 75%.  What I like most about the lithium is the very quick charge rate. I,d go for the renogy dcdc charger as it will be a lot quicker than the alternator and fill to 100% capacity a lot quicker.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #1546 on: October 03, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
Beware of some of the $400 lithium’s
They can only have 30 amp draw on them. Good if you only run a fridge, but limits what you can run off it.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1547 on: October 03, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
I run a couple of panels on the roof that put out about 10 amp max.  I also have a Victron 75/20 solar reg and a Renogy dcdc 20amp charger.  I run a 40 litre engel as a freezer.  Sits on minus 18. Recently spent 2 weeks in Burketown where the temp was 34 daytime and 20 at night. Hot and very windy, no shade and the renogy battery never got below 75%.  What I like most about the lithium is the very quick charge rate. I,d go for the renogy dcdc charger as it will be a lot quicker than the alternator and fill to 100% capacity a lot quicker.

Check the specs on the Victron, a lot of them have a lithium setting
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1548 on: October 03, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »
Check the specs on the Victron, a lot of them have a lithium setting

I bought it especially because it had the lithium setting.  I also have a 100/30 in the camper. Not a fan of one tool does the lot...prefer individual components that are specifically designed for the job.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:35:44 PM by Bigfish »

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1549 on: October 03, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
C'mon GG, tell your story.
Keith

Sorry mate. I didn't realise you had the other thread. call it a Senior's Moment.
Keith