Author Topic: Question About GVM Weight - Are We Under Or Over?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:14:06 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Question About GVM Weight - Are We Under Or Over?
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 06:20:15 AM »
What the dealer said was wrong.
Yes you have towball weight, so GVM is decreased. Yes you still have to include that weight in the total weighed GVM.

Weighbridge accuracy is 20kg, because of the increments it can show, i.e 20, 40, 60 etc.
It can't show 50, 55, 56

Even if you ball weight is 180, and you reduce GVM by 210 instead of 300, you are still over.

To suggest it is 170/180 without weighing or seeing it is fraught with danger. The 200 as calculated by the weighbridge is the most accurate you have at the moment.
The best way would be to have a post the same height as the towball (when loaded) put that on the scale and lower the coupling on.

Also looking at you car specs for axle load, their total is only 65kg, (< 1 person) over GVM.  so you would have to get your load fairly well balanced.

As GBC said your rear axle weight, is what I'd be looking at if you to do anything. Put front axle on plate, trailer attached and subtract that from your GVM as weighed.

Towball scales aren't great. I've got one and can get reading between 90 and 190 kg for exactly the same setup, depending on how I use it.

I know you said you can't, but anything out of the car to the rear of the camper will help more than its weight.  10 kg out of car is -10 off GVM. Add it to the rear of the trailer, and it will also reduce ballweight, and GVM even further.

In reality you should be fine, I'd keep in mind rear axle Weight for next time.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »
I agree with Jonesy, once you find out what your rear axle max weight  is, go from there, I wouldn't stress too much a few kilos over won't be a problem if you do get pulled over, which I doubt you will, as long as your setup looks nice and level it shouldn't be an issue.

Unlike some of these grey nomads that drive around with the arse of the car dragging on the ground >:D
2011 Discovery 4 2.7L TDV6
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2-A 750 
2006 BMW R1200GS

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »
Not meant for any other purpose.....like snatching, pulling over trees, hanging the 4wd upside down from a cliff or any other stupid idea that a human could think up !!   ;D ;D

Thanks, Gronk - makes sense! :-[
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
Towball scales aren't great. I've got one and can get reading between 90 and 190 kg for exactly the same setup, depending on how I use it.

100kg variance? They are just a spring inside a couple of tubes and the spring will compress at a known rate for any given load. Unless the tubes are binding or something like that it's simply not possible for the readings to vary that much. I've used mine a few times and whilst I don't know exactly how accurate it is, it reads the same each time unless I alter the weight in the camper.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
Quote from: Merts
100kg variance? They are just a spring inside a couple of tubes and the spring will compress at a known rate for any given load. Unless the tubes are binding or something like that it's simply not possible for the readings to vary that much. I've used mine a few times and whilst I don't know exactly how accurate it is, it reads the same each time unless I alter the weight in the camper.

it should be simple...
but its not unusual which is what I was saying earlier.. 50kg diff in weighbridge and towball scales.. 2 people in my club with towball scales.. both give massive reading differences.

'He then went home, and used a tow ball weigh scale from somewhere like BCF, no change to the load, it comes in at 110kg. How would you account for a 50kg difference, and which one would you trust?'

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56655.0
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56655.msg996294#msg996294

Has how I managed to achieve wildly different readings.  I couldn't and get it to bounce up and down like a normal spring type bathroom scale.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56655.msg996294#msg996294

Has how I managed to achieve wildly different readings.  I couldn't and get it to bounce up and down like a normal spring type bathroom scale.

That is pretty bad. It seems like it's binding between the two sections that are supposed to move smoothly. I'd take it back for a refund.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)