Author Topic: Supercars 2019  (Read 11950 times)

Bird and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: Supercars 2019
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
The potential for someone to get hit and killed here was high. Supercars really need to look at the double stacking rule and not let it happen.
Each car should have its own pit. They talk about driver safety all the time, but the potential for a pit crew member, marshal or even a media person getting is very high.
The driver wouldn't even know if he backed over someone.

Pit lane safety need a full revamp

The supercars are trying to reduce team cost , therefore 1 pit per car will never happen .

For starters there can only be X amount of pits in/on the pit straight , by assigning a pit per car rule most if not all tracks would not be able to house all 24 cars/pits .

I agree that is was an unsafe set of events that transpired on Sundays race , stewards should take a look at what went on and heavily fine teams and drivers that squeezed past the Kelly/Mostert road block and the 888 pit while Jamie Whincup was still getting serviced .

All of these cars/drivers should have waited until Jamie Whincup  and Fabian Coulthard had cleared their pit boom area leaving a clear pathway for cars to drive through .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »

The supercars are trying to reduce team cost , therefore 1 pit per car will never happen .

For starters there can only be X amount of pits in/on the pit straight , by assigning a pit per car rule most if not all tracks would not be able to house all 24 cars/pits .

I agree that is was an unsafe set of events that transpired on Sundays race , stewards should take a look at what went on and heavily fine teams and drivers that squeezed past the Kelly/Mostert road block and the 888 pit while Jamie Whincup was still getting serviced .

All of these cars/drivers should have waited until Jamie Whincup  and Fabian Coulthard had cleared their pit boom area leaving a clear pathway for cars to drive through .

I agree, I was waiting for penalties to be handed out for those that squeezed past it.

There is always more that we can do but motorsport is dangerous, thats a part of the appeal. No one wants to see people get hurt but when things like this happen it adds to the spectaticle.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
The potential for someone to get hit and killed here was high. Supercars really need to look at the double stacking rule and not let it happen.
Each car should have its own pit. They talk about driver safety all the time, but the potential for a pit crew member, marshal or even a media person getting is very high.
The driver wouldn't even know if he backed over someone.

Pit lane safety need a full revamp
Reverse gear is not allowed to be engaged in any part of the pits or pitlane and if it is then there should be a severe consequence.  All those drivers that come past Chaz and Rick the dick should have stopped and waited for the accident to be cleared, transiting in the service lane is also against the rules for crew safety, it is up to Supercars to get off their bums and fine the team's.

Sorry,  you are right in your comment on double stacking,  the angle Coultard stopped in his bay actually started that whole debacle , Chaz's crew had to pull him back to get around the 12 car, obviously the car controller was more worried about that than to ensure Chad was safe to go

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:11:52 PM by macca »

Online Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
I'm not sure but I think although they moved from the fast lane into the pit box area this is still covered as part of the track limits as defined by the yellow lines which define pit lane and the garage boundaries.
To prevent double stacks simplest solution is to close pit lane under safety car conditions.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »

To prevent double stacks simplest solution is to close pit lane under safety car conditions.

There has been talk of it for a while, they are trialling it at PI next month.

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/supercars-to-trial-safety-car-pitlane-closure/
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
Yep, make 'em pit under race conditions only.

No double stacking allowed, pit separately.

Even on the little bit I watched on late Sunday, the commentators knew how long the pit stop would be due to the amount of fuel required.  ???
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline BBull

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
Not sure why these days there needs to be a pace car anyway.
Surly this day and age race control can press a button that reduces all cars back to the same speed and that way there is no advantage to the rear cars around the pace car.
Once the obstetrical is clear on the track send a message to the drivers to get ready to go to full race mode.
Then it is back on, all track positions maintained and gap to car in front maintained.
Pretty simple really.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
Not sure why these days there needs to be a pace car anyway.
Surly this day and age race control can press a button that reduces all cars back to the same speed and that way there is no advantage to the rear cars around the pace car.
Once the obstetrical is clear on the track send a message to the drivers to get ready to go to full race mode.
Then it is back on, all track positions maintained and gap to car in front maintained.
Pretty simple really.

Like they tried lights instead of flags...…………….half a lap later...………….and with people trackside!!! Ever noticed that the pace car slows right down when people are working trackside???
 Was a "flaggie" for over 10 years...…….
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline BBull

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
Like they tried lights instead of flags...…………….half a lap later...………….and with people trackside!!! Ever noticed that the pace car slows right down when people are working trackside???
 Was a "flaggie" for over 10 years...…….
No i mean a system like the pit lane limiter. Takes throttle control away from the  drivers control and puts it back to race controls hands.
With all the computers and electronics these days it wouldn't be to hard

Online alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/03/07/mustang-parity-row-looming?fbclid=IwAR3Zh8myrgDy_9FtgmJ9sV2XLT4PRcVugYn-bJI0aO2OQnN-hEDHRvsZB1g

centre of gravity?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
No i mean a system like the pit lane limiter. Takes throttle control away from the  drivers control and puts it back to race controls hands.
With all the computers and electronics these days it wouldn't be to hard
Problem with that is if a car is say approaching  a corner at 250kph and needs the acceleration to get thru the corner and the race director hits the button limiting him to say 80kph, ooh that could get ugly

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
Problem with that is if a car is say approaching  a corner at 250kph and needs the acceleration to get thru the corner and the race director hits the button limiting him to say 80kph, ooh that could get ugly

Isn't virtual safety car in F1 driver induced?  They have to slow the cars to a minimum sector time. I agree it could get hairy if the race director controlled it.

I don't really want to see pitlane closed during a safety car.  It can destroy a race for anyone who hasn't pitted, but it also creates a big problem for marshal safety.
As soon as the yellows come out, every driver does a qualifying lap to get to the pits.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »

whoops, replied before I saw Dannygs comment.

Lot of people throwing stones at Rick Kelly over the pit incident (including me at first), but the incar telemetry shows that at the point of contack he is completey off the throttle and has a good deal of brake on. Seems it was momentum pushing the Tickford car -https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/how-hawk-eye-works-in-supercars/ write up is about half way down the page.

Caveat - I'm not a Rick Kelly supporter, there the race directors comments.................not mine, don't shoot the messenger
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:28:47 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Complete Campsite Exodus 16.

Offline BBull

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2019, 06:40:31 AM »

Yes agree, i am not trying to solve the issue in a one sentence statement. Obviously there would need to be a full change management done on a system like this and warnings to drivers. Its not happening just a thought that with all this technology this day and age there can be a smarter system put in place then what is currently being used.
Again the double stacking and incidents in pit lane shows there needs to be a change before someone gets killed.

Online Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2019, 07:12:31 AM »
Pace car picks up the leader, pit lane closed, pace car controls pace, green flag go racing. We all know pace cars breed pace cars, will make for exciting racing.  More pressure on pit crews processing cars under race conditions, more errors. Strategy will play a bigger role.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
If they close pitlane under safety car, then they need to get rid of compulsory pitstops.  In the early 00's they closed pitlane and on lap 2 of every race, almost every car would pit and you still had pitlane congestion.

They need to look at a few things. F1 style virtual safety cars for minor incidents.  Close pitlane until the safety car has control of the entire field, then open it. Ban double stacking. Including cars driving too slow in pitlane, while their teammate gets serviced.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
I do not know why they do not just say only one car from the team in pit lane at any time.
If the second car does come in, it should have to pass straight through and come around again as a automatic penalty.
This should also include the two team garages,  first in gets service.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
Maybe only one team car allowed in pitlane at a time unless the other car is in the garage.
When they are fighting for tenths of a second there will always be cockups
They have the rules they need to enforce them and make the penalties severe.  If you have a look at that pitlane incident on Sunday, both Chaz and Fabs were not in their bays properly (due to double stacking), unsafe release, using reverse on pitlane, and haven't counted how many cars drove thru the servicing lane. Not sure how many rule breeches there was but it was heaps and without checking the supercars site the only penalty I know of was unsafe release, if they are serious about pitlane safety then they should do their job, and all of those penalties could/should have been dealt with under race conditions

Online Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Some common sense has to be applied, if Mostert had not been able to use reverse a pit crew would have needed to pull him back, that then puts that crew in danger. There were enough crews at risk with what happened.
Yes it was a debacle but it will be reviewed and changes will happen, the rules are always evolving.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
What I was getting at Pottsy is if they hit every rule breach that happened in that incident then maybe the team's would be less tempted to take the chance, I personally think those cars passing the accident were causing the greater danger to the crews than the accident itself, if they had of stopped the crews could have cleared that in a matter of seconds. Being a selfish bugger my first thought when it happened is why didn't the 888 crew just stand their ground and none of them would have got past, but then again I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to stand in front of them guys

Online Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
What I was getting at Pottsy is if they hit every rule breach that happened in that incident then maybe the team's would be less tempted to take the chance, I personally think those cars passing the accident were causing the greater danger to the crews than the accident itself, if they had of stopped the crews could have cleared that in a matter of seconds. Being a selfish bugger my first thought when it happened is why didn't the 888 crew just stand their ground and none of them would have got past, but then again I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to stand in front of them guys

Yep I agree, I reckon there may well be some meaty fines handed out. Surprised the 888 guy that wrangled the high pressure air hose didn't stand his ground.  ;D

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
I do not know why they do not just say only one car from the team in pit lane at any time.
If the second car does come in, it should have to pass straight through and come around again as a automatic penalty.
This should also include the two team garages,  first in gets service.

Don't go makin things to simple!  :angel:

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
jesus this is all too complicated
Im going back to the electrical thread where things are easy, there is only 1 way to do it and everyone agrees that way is the best
I Drink & I Know Things

Online Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
jesus this is all too complicated
Im going back to the electrical thread where things are easy, there is only 1 way to do it and everyone agrees that way is the best

"ZAP"  ;D ;D

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
Don't go makin things to simple!  :angel:

Foo

I am a simple uneducated bushy, so any ideas I have will be disregarded by those that know better than I anyway.  ???