Author Topic: Supercars 2019  (Read 5604 times)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Supercars 2019
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »

Same with bikes, they even have a E-Bike category at the Isle of Mann now :( look at this monstrosity!
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/racing/isle-of-man-tt/news/tt-2018-why-are-mugen-racing-electric-bikes-at-the-tt-and-what-does-the-future-hold

Ebike mx champs too :(  https://www.ktm.com/au/e-ride/

MotoE fans might have to wait a little longer...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/14/majority-of-motoe-fleet-destroyed-by-fire/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2019, 05:26:52 AM »
A decent sized crew heading down to Tassie for the weekend.

The Brissy Virgin Lounge is full of racing colours this morning.
Had to laugh when Lowndesy rocked up to the valet parking in his s***tbox Commodore. ;D

Online duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
From the way I see it , the COG tests and the placement of ballast in the Holden and Fords higher up in the cars has had the desired affect . There was a lot closer racing among several teams over the weekend , not a Ford runaway race like the first couple of races .

Well done Supercars .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2019, 07:17:11 AM »
Well there ya go, reminds me of the Tony Longhurst days when the virtually weighted the little BMW out of touring car racing because it was beating the big V8 Holdens and Fords.

Why is it there's not been any weighting to help Nissan be competitive against Holden or Ford ???
2011 Discovery 4 2.7L TDV6
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2-A 750 
2006 BMW R1200GS

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »
Well there ya go, reminds me of the Tony Longhurst days when the virtually weighted the little BMW out of touring car racing because it was beating the big V8 Holdens and Fords.

Why is it there's not been any weighting to help Nissan be competitive against Holden or Ford ???

This was done to increase parity between all brands. So far it appears to have worked for Holden, so maybe Nissan need to lift their game. Time will tell.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2019, 07:56:26 AM »

They , Supercars , used the Nissan as a base . Then they reweighted the Ford and Holden to be equal to the Nissan . They all have the same min weight but now the COG has been equalized over the three brands .

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
I was enjoying it more when the Fords were looking like dominating everything ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »

You can only have rules to try and even out the cars.....you can't have rules to let one make have an advantage against the others.
2009 200 series Yota
2012 Lifestyle AT10

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
The wheels have officially fallen off at Red Bull HRT!  One each for #88 & #97 this year.
Engine failure.  Pitstop errors. Out qualified by customers T18 and MSR.  Massive setup issues with the single spring, forcing the team to seek setup advice from Winterbottom.
Yet people still squawk aero parity....

The Erebus ZB and Kelly Altimas definitely had Tickford's measure yesterday.  Scotty Mac has almost owned PI since 2014 and along with DJRTP's form over the last few years. No one should be surprised to see #17 & #12 walk away from the field.

Online duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »
Yes I agree , Red Bull HRT are feeling the new spring regulations harder than other teams , this is putting pressure on the whole outfit and mistakes are been made .

Some of the other teams DJRTP included , have addapted quicker and it is showing on the track .

I made a statement on Facebook after Adelaide saying that the new Mustangs are not that fast but Scott is , and I still stand by this statement , Red Bull HRT are not as yet on the money with their setup and this is making the mustangs look to be faster than the actually are .

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2019, 09:37:32 AM »
Got to love Phillip Island as a venue, fantastic panorama, some of the best corners in Aust motor racing and it always turns up a few surprises.
Great effort by Heimgartner yesterday.
I like the new qualifying format, shakes things up a bit.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
Interesting comments in the commentary yesterday.  Lowndes and Skaife mentioned the Altima is as fast as it was at PI last year and the Mustang has matched the FGX.  Yet the 888 ZB's are over a second  slower.
The ZB aero was designed with the twin spring damper in mind, while the Mustang aero is based around a linear spring.  Roland mentioned this morning their team is struggling with front aero balance.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
I take note of the above comments and agreed T8 are having a few issues carried over from last year but I wander if Supercars are going to add the remainder of the COG difference to the Mustang. Wasn't there a 35kg difference rather then the 20 odd kg they added to the Mustangs? 

The whole current saga of the COG has really demonstrated how behind Supercars is with it's rules for the Car of the Future race package.  With the introduction of the ZB the issue of the different roofing panels was identified and address pretty quickly where as the length of time it took Supercars to apparently even recognise COG to be an issue to even look at addressing it has more then anything else caused the angst with fans and competitors. 

My view the Supercars Car of the Future is the biggest stumbling block they have.  relying on a standardised frame for every vehicle then having to modify the vehicle panels to replicate the make and model of the 'car' being raced has resulted in the race car not being the manufactured vehicle.   The Mustang roof line is about 100ml higher then factory to meet the requirements of the Car of the Future and while there is talk of the Camero replacing the Holdens it would mean raising the roof line about 150mls. 

This and other restricitons imposed by the 'Car of the Future' specs are actually holding back the current vehicles and keeping them in the past.  Supercars really should change its name to Auscars as they really are not different to the Nascars.  Just need a few oval tracks. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
If and when this happens it might change what we see on track.
 https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/next-gen-chassis-grunt-work-underway/

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2019, 11:16:05 AM »

I take note of the above comments and agreed T8 are having a few issues carried over from last year but I wander if Supercars are going to add the remainder of the COG difference to the Mustang. Wasn't there a 35kg difference rather then the 20 odd kg they added to the Mustangs? 

Mustang had 28kg (27. Something) added and Holden 7kg (6. Something). To bring inline with the Altima. Nothing more to add.

The biggest parity is resources.    Holden went closed shop with 888 and used an external contractor for It's CFD aero work.

Ford went open book with DJRTP and Tickford.  With inhouse Ford Performance doing the aero work.  The same people and resources that built the very aero Le Mans winning GT Ford and probably spent twice the dollars Holden did in the process.

Maybe it's time for Supercars to be 100% responsible for developing and matching the aero.  Ie. The manufacturer hands over a fistful of dollars to Supercars to design and test a new car.  The manufacturer will always focus on advantage,  while Supercars technically should focus on parity.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2019, 12:01:03 PM »

Mustang had 28kg (27. Something) added and Holden 7kg (6. Something). To bring inline with the Altima. Nothing more to add.

I must have read it wrong, I thought the Mustang had about a 35kg difference.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »
I must have read it wrong, I thought the Mustang had about a 35kg difference.

Yes...definitely 28kg not 35kg.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2019, 02:52:14 PM »
Trying to find the CoG results form Supercars.  Must be in a technical section. 

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-centre-of-gravity-change/4359079/

Motorsport.com understands the original figures given to teams were 30 kilograms for the Mustang and six kilograms for the Commodore, however sources indicated those numbers were likely to shift before being finalised.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »
Well done Anton De Pasquale on his first podium.
Erebus consistently punch above their weight, when you compare their resources to DJRTP, 888 & WAU.

The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »
Agree....a fantastic effort...especially beating the number one Opel team 👍

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
Agree....a fantastic effort...especially beating the number one Opel team
Name one part of an Opel that is on a Supercar

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »

lol name any Holden part compared to the number of Ford parts
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
lol name any Holden part compared to the number of Ford parts
The badge my point was they have nothing to do with road cars

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
The badge my point was they have nothing to do with road cars

Exactly, how many Ford components?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2019, 05:02:37 AM »

Grille? Mirrors? Door handles? Tail lights?
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....