Author Topic: Supercars 2019  (Read 2850 times)

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Supercars 2019
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
Gday fellow swaggers ,

The debate on Holden verses Ford will continue , yes I know that the Holden is a rebadged car from the good old USof A but so now is the Ford , some say that the Ford is a Mustang but me thinks that is is more in looks of the Older 2010/15 Ford Mondeo with Mustang taillights .

The first race is this weekend , the Superloop Adelaide 500 .

They are showing this on free to air TV Ch 10 as well as Foxtel .

Below is the Ch 10 viewing times - Adelaide time

LIVE: Superloop Adelaide 500
2:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Action from Friday of the Superloop Adelaide 500.

1:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Action from Saturday of the Superloop Adelaide 500.

11:30 am to 6:00 pm
Action from Sunday of the Superloop Adelaide 500.

" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Supercars 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
Will be interesting with the new cars.  Head on the Ford looks okay but saw some profile pics and thought that looks less the average.  Supercars has definitely gone way from Holden and Ford, just wish there were more makes in the mix to give it something a bit more. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Regardless of the Ford Holden thing, this is still the premiere Motorsport in Australia and I can't wait for the new season. New cars, driver changes, new rules, night racing again in Sydney, bring it on I say.
New manufacturers will come, I think it's headed the way of the British Touring Car program.

Torn this year, Lee has moved onto a new team and my old mob Irwin are back in the game!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
They are trying out a night race at Perth this year as well .

Buckle up for three massive nights of Supercars racing action and witness a brand-new night racing format at the PIRTEK Perth SuperNight, 2 – 4 May 2019.

Western Australia’s only round of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship is not to be missed, with flaming exhausts, pyrotechnics displays and shining headlights adding a spectacular new dimension to Supercars racing.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
The Holden is a rebadged Opel, straight out of Germany.

No Sydney night race this year.....but will be back next year.

Same drivers up the front, but with driver and car changes, the midfield might look a bit different....Simona to bring up the rear, followed closely by a few (used to be ) bigger name drivers !
2009 200 series Yota
2012 Lifestyle AT10
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Peugeot owned, Opal built, Chev powered Holden...

Expect to hear 'Linear Spring' a lot the first few rounds.  Might be a few that struggle with set up. 

I'm tipping Erebus to be the lead Holden team for the start of the season. They apparently never ran the now banned twin spring dampers and the #99 car has also been upgraded to the same go fast parts as Davy's car.

Scotty and DJRTP will hit the ground running.  Success breeds success.
Mustang to take first blood.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
Peugeot owned, Opal built, Chev powered Holden...

Expect to hear 'Linear Spring' a lot the first few rounds.  Might be a few that struggle with set up. 

I'm tipping Erebus to be the lead Holden team for the start of the season. They apparently never ran the now banned twin spring dampers and the #99 car has also been upgraded to the same go fast parts as Davy's car.

Scotty and DJRTP will hit the ground running.  Success breeds success.
Mustang to take first blood.

I agree with this.

I feel he who gets his head around the one spring rules the best will put themselves in a good position championship wise. However the usual big wigs should rise to the top eventually.

Dave Reynolds will be right amongst it.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
<snip>

New manufacturers will come, I think it's headed the way of the British Touring Car program.

<snip>

Tried that with Nissan, Mercedes and Volvo...…..massive fail.

Will never happen. As there now is no manufacturer in Aust, the mighty aussie bogan will loose interest and the sport will fade off into the sunset with all the dreams of what could have been (within 10 years is my call).
Today's car builders are not going to spend coin to facilitate such a small percentage of their market and build racecars here where European motorsport is massive and car sales market huge compared to ours. Australia doesn't stand a chance!!
Events like the 12 hour and possibly a return of the 24 hour will increase in popularity and fill the void the supercabs (can't even call them that anymore) leave.

I for one WAS an avid fan, only watched Bathurst last year, not sure I will this year. Sad to say...………….
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »
To be fair, even though the supercars don't do much for me.

I think all forms of racing, have there ups and there downs.

Drag racing for sure, has seen numbers drop, then they spike again, a little bit more so in some of the pro categories.

If I had to pursue, what I think is the biggest fault in the taxis, it would be, the powers to be have made the whole thing TOO EQUAL.

Mandatory stops are fine, but they have to dump x litres before lap y, whist having a driver change no later the lap z.....  ???
As for the run to mummy, he did this, she said that.... races aren't won in the boardroom.... or at least, shouldn't be.

I guess, that's what I liked about drag racing.
"Run what ya brung"..... and hope you brung enough to do battle.

When you read some of the tweaks and mods way back when with the GTS's the GT's etc, it was everyone trying to get to number with a car and driver.
No head sets, no go easy and short shift, ya gunna run out of fuel....
The other thing that surprises me, is how an easy touch with another car, renders the steering broken quite often.
Stick an old HQ front end under 'em, they won't break so easy then.

In my half arsed humble opinion, i think the supercars have gone too far, to ever go back to what we would all love to see.

In my days running the blown car (what a hoot), the best instructions I ever got from the owner was....

"Unless its upside down or on fire, just stay in it." ;D

In other words, if its getting loose, steer the fukkin thing and run a number.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:29:22 AM by Jeepers Creepers »
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
Quote from: doc evil
Tried that with Nissan, Mercedes and Volvo...…..massive fail.

Will never happen. As there now is no manufacturer in Aust, the mighty aussie bogan will loose interest and the sport will fade off into the sunset with all the dreams of what could have been (within 10 years is my call).
Today's car builders are not going to spend coin to facilitate such a small percentage of their market and build racecars here where European motorsport is massive and car sales market huge compared to ours. Australia doesn't stand a chance!!
Events like the 12 hour and possibly a return of the 24 hour will increase in popularity and fill the void the supercabs (can't even call them that anymore) leave.

I for one WAS an avid fan, only watched Bathurst last year, not sure I will this year. Sad to say...………….

but.. its 'still the premiere Motorsport in Australia... ' LMAO
Have a look at what happened to Aussie super-bike racing in AU - it became too expensive for its own good that only serious teams really play anymore - and only a few of them... you had to qualify to get on the grid in the 70/80s!!!   In those days crowds were in their 1000's... Standing room only at Oran Park or Amaroo..

Teams used to have to qualify for car racing too... hows that going these days?

Superbikes in AU Now its pretty much family only and a few stick on fans - that's where this is headed... As said, AU isn't big enough to invest the money required to be viable.   Win on Sunday sell on Monday died long long ago.

Anyone know how much to run 2 cars these days for 1 yr (say last yr for example without having to start with completely new unused model cars)?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:41:18 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »
I dont think the sport will die out here.

Far from it in fact. Sure right at the moment the bodys on the current control chassis dont look right and do not make a lot of sense but the sport will ride that out will introduce a suitable chassis to fit the real bodys.

The Mustang and eventually Camaro will look great as race cars and they will gain popularity in Australia. 

In 10 years time Ill set a reminder to bring this old thread up and say I told you so ;D

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
Quote from: DannyG
In 10 years time Ill set a reminder to bring this old thread up and say I told you so ;D
What as your watching (not hearing) electric cars buzz around? :( thats the "future"...

many of the dirtbike forums people are frothing to get their hands on elecetric dirtbikes.. couldnt think of anything worse myself.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
Motorsport already has an E formula. It is failing.

The only reason it has been 'propped' up so far is because they are bringing in ex formula 1 stars etc to drive them.

Id prefer to watch online racing live, the action and abuse is so much better ;D

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
I dont think the sport will die out here.

Far from it in fact. Sure right at the moment the bodys on the current control chassis dont look right and do not make a lot of sense but the sport will ride that out will introduce a suitable chassis to fit the real bodys.

The Mustang and eventually Camaro will look great as race cars and they will gain popularity in Australia. 

I gotta agree with you , Supercars is shown in 96 countries worldwide, beamed into 235 million households, attended by 1.8 million fans and carries more than one million social media followers , I can't see it falling over in the near future .

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
Quote from: DannyG
Motorsport already has an E formula. It is failing.
The only reason it has been 'propped' up so far is because they are bringing in ex formula 1 stars etc to drive them.

Id prefer to watch online racing live, the action and abuse is so much better ;D
It maybe propped up now, but no matter how much you me or anyone despises it, its the future, companies will see thats where the $ needs to go for car sales and investment and divert it... look at how much 24 Hours of Le Mans cars changed in last decade or so. :(

Same with bikes, they even have a E-Bike category at the Isle of Mann now :( look at this monstrosity!
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/racing/isle-of-man-tt/news/tt-2018-why-are-mugen-racing-electric-bikes-at-the-tt-and-what-does-the-future-hold

Ebike mx champs too :(  https://www.ktm.com/au/e-ride/

Although 2 stroke MX\Enduro bikes have made a huge comeback in last 4yrs
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
but.. its 'still the premiere Motorsport in Australia... ' LMAO

Show me another Motorsport event in Australia which drags 250,000 people to an event like it will in Adelaide this weekend. Huge numbers flock to Bathurst every year, new campgrounds opened in 2018, same at a country meet at Winton, even in the Shitty weather.
Yep, it's not Holden v ford. The category is evolving and will continue to evolve. Ford motor companies involvement this year is the biggest it has been for a long time, the intro of the Mustang helps. Teams like Walkinshaw and Penske etc don't invest in Motorsport just for the fun of it, neither do any of the sponsors, it goes far deeper than just the racing.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
Show me another Motorsport event in Australia which drags 250,000 people to an event like it will in Adelaide this weekend. Huge numbers flock to Bathurst every year, new campgrounds opened in 2018, same at a country meet at Winton, even in the Shitty weather.
Yep, it's not Holden v ford. The category is evolving and will continue to evolve. Ford motor companies involvement this year is the biggest it has been for a long time, the intro of the Mustang helps. Teams like Walkinshaw and Penske etc don't invest in Motorsport just for the fun of it, neither do any of the sponsors, it goes far deeper than just the racing.

Yep, Ford will support them like they did a few years ago where there was an oval hogsbreath badge...….

Why do the like combining figures, the only thing "propping" them up is the sale of Foxtel subscriptions...……no Foxtel for this little black duck!!

It will die like rallying is on it's death bed, particularly in Australia. Offroad racing, 4WD comps etc. are not far behind. It seems only the bigger events survive, and that is only because it is free to air...……….and they use those survey numbers to prop up their "numbers". 
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 11:22:18 AM »
isle of man TT zero (elec) bike technology are catching petrol bikes so quickly now (going 5mph faster every year), they are on track to own the lap record and beat superbikes outright in 2020 - we will see I suppose - a 10 mph average increase at that end of the wedge is pretty exponential. They are running 120 mph average laps now. the winning superbike lap last year was 133 mph and pretty unhinged.

In case anybody has been living under a rock, audi built an electric hill climber in 8 MONTHS and blew away the Pike's peak record - the footage is pretty special - they are going for the Nurburgring record now I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAJaGAMWjHM

E sport cars aren't going anywhere.

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »
and the word is that the little 'aussie cars' are now experimenting with electric power.
Just doesn't seem the same without the high revving and noise of the bike engines.
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 01:35:10 PM »
no Foxtel for this little black duck!!

Nor me, I have Kayo, costs $25 a month.
I get all AFL, NRL,V8's F1's and all cricket in HD.
and so many more sports which are of no interest to me.
Also can watch Foxsports 501 to 505 live.

Less that $1.00 a day.
I cast it onto the big TV, happy days.

ATM am watching a reply of T20 Aust Vs India from the other night, in a small window while on MySwag.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:37:30 PM by Kangaron »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »

Less that $1.00 a day.

ATM am watching a reply of T20 Aust Vs India from the other night, in a small window while on MySwag.

I'm not going to pay to watch something that WAS free.

I see channel 10 is now a subscription pay for selected free to air repeats and 9 and 7 are going that way soon apparently.

Print media is going the same way the supersnorers are headed...…..into extinction...…...

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »

Less that $1.00 a day.

I only heard of KAYO on the weekend , 2 days after renewing a cheaper deal to keep Foxtel , never mind I did get a $30 per month discount reducing on expense to $48 per month .

I drink and I smoke so an extra 1.60 per day ain't going to break the bank . But I can sit back and enjoy my motorsport .

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Free to air tv is headed into extinction, for any live sport.  Foxtel too, if they don't watch out.

Paid subscription streaming is the future, like it or not.
The next round of media rights for ALL sports is going to become very different to what we have now.
The likes of Amazon, Netflix, etc have the money nowadays.

People have been predicting the demise of 5 litre Supercars for 26 years....
Until someone comes up with and implements something better, I'm happy to keep watching.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
Kayo just announced a promotion.
One Months access for $5.00.
Give it a try and ditch foxtel.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User