Author Topic: Kings awning review after about 4 years.  (Read 682 times)

Online #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Kings awning review after about 4 years.
« on: January 12, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »
I bought a Kings awning about 4 years ago and this is the story so far. 

I have driven about 100,000 ks in that time and I guess it was on for about 80,000, and about 20,000 of corrugations.

After a about a year I had it up in torrential downpour and the awning filled with water before collapsing. One of the  side arms bent and snapped the spigot off the end. A dodgy roadside repair and I was able to straighten the pole enough. I can't push it all the way in but enlightenment to set it up.  It also pulled through the channel that it is bolted to, but remained intact enough to get by my mates ARB suffered similar fate but obviously heleld on longer so the damage was greater. 

I used a tent peg as a temporary spigot. When I got home I replaced it with a long tech screw and cut off the head.  I reinforced the ends of the channel and replaced the bolts. The original were too short to start with. The nyloc nuts were only threaded on far enough for the thread and not the nylon, so they worked their way loose.

This weekend I broke a tab off the zip. Obviously hanging there and rattling for thousands of ks has slowly worn it away. The rivets holng the channel to the back piece and failed in a few spots. So I put new rivets and a few extra in.

I did intend to replace it but made the quick repairs to get me by.  Now it seems to be a mission to make it last as long as possible. For what I paid I still think it is good value.

Photos of damaged channel, "new" spigot and zip

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Online #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Kings awning review after about 4 years.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
Missing rivets and dodgy replacements
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:05 PM »
The issue with the rivets on the back piece is well known.  As soon as I bought mine I put 6 extra large rivets in it.  2 Years and still going well.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
I replaced the metal zipper pulls on my ARB awning with some like this as I couldn't stand the incessant noise of them clanging together.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-20X-Zipper-Pulls-Slider-Cord-Rope-Puller-Ends-Lock-Zip-Clip-Buckle-For-Bag-HU/292648727803
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
But they're only going to work if you've still got the zip tab attached aren't they ???

If the tab has broken off, can you still get them through the loop on the body of the zipper ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
But they're only going to work if you've still got the zip tab attached aren't they ???

If the tab has broken off, can you still get them through the loop on the body of the zipper ???

No tab required

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie