Author Topic: "Daily Rant" thread 2019  (Read 42000 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: "Daily Rant" thread 2019
« Reply #900 on: August 12, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
our NBN seems to be having a few issues the past couple of days.  Wednesday they are supposed to be doing something about it so hopefully it works. 

Just wish the pollies had of kept out of it all those years ago and let the Telcos do their own thing and by now we would have had something better
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »
our NBN seems to be having a few issues the past couple of days.  Wednesday they are supposed to be doing something about it so hopefully it works. 

Just wish the pollies had of kept out of it all those years ago and let the Telcos do their own thing and by now we would have had something better
Imagine what could have been done with that money. Hospitals, dams, roads, infrastructure etc etc
People preferred they were able to download movies faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2019, 09:39:49 PM »

Imagine what could have been done with that money.

Built a high speed internet.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #903 on: August 12, 2019, 10:04:38 PM »

But only in areas where they could easily make money, which would preclude most of the areas outside of the Capital Cities and the sprawl around them.
1992 Toyota 4Runner VZN130 (3.slo V6):

1996 Kanga Camping trailer: Build in progress

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »

Built a high speed internet.

Cheers Glen

Heard that 5G is supposed to out perform NBN, don't know if its true or not.  Just seems a lot of money has been wasted on NBN and will be for years to come when Telcos could be doing it.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #905 on: August 13, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »
Heard that 5G is supposed to out perform NBN, don't know if its true or not.  Just seems a lot of money has been wasted on NBN and will be for years to come when Telcos could be doing it.
I think 5g being quicker is true up to a point. The problem as I understand it is bandwidth so once all the 16yo boys in your street start playing their Playstations and the 15yo girls start streaming Netflix every night it will slow down too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #906 on: August 13, 2019, 06:06:11 AM »
Pretty disgusting figures show what a shambles education is in this country.  The rich get richer and the poor just keep getting screwed.  Why the hell do parents pay fees that could be halved if equality was used to dictate funds?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/rich-school-poor-school-australias-great-education-divide/11383384
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #907 on: August 13, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
Over the next rise, what do we see.... yep, NSW HWP's Chrysler SRT8 with it's Christmas lights on and the aforementioned Holden... Slight smug smile as we went past at 40km/h....
We were milliseconds away from being killed by that f...ing stupid rule on the weekend.

Driving Sydney to Wagga in the blizzard, the road was wet but not raining at the time, we were in the last vehicle in a group coming down a long descent.
Left hand lane convoy was a wagon (captiva/territory) towing a caged box trailer, 2 sedans and a B double.
Right hand lane was a cruiser, a sedan and me halfway past the B double.

At the bottom of the hill around a bend the cops had a car pulled over.
Car with box trailer slams on the anchors, 1st sedan reaction is slightly delayed, 2nd sedan can’t slow in time and darts across into the right lane behind the cruiser and just misses the sedan in front of me.
Now the first sedan in the left lane wants to dart into the right lane as well and tries to push in between me and the car in front, but there’s no room. The truckie is hard on the brakes and managing to keep it all straight, then the car with box trailer decides to brake harder and things are about to get messy. I can hear the truck locking up beside me, I move over on to the road shoulder and give the car room to move over and get out from between the truck and the box trailer.

So here we are, 3 vehicles abreast on a 2 lane road, I’m driving off the road shoulder and a semi is seconds away from taking us all out.

The truck now starts to gain fast on the box trailer tower and he must finally look in his mirrors and see what’s coming his way and gets back on the gas letting the truckie get everything straight again.

So there’s at least 10 lives put in a high risk situation just because of that stupid f....ing rule.

I will always try to slow and give as much room as safely possible to emergency vehicles parked with their lights on, but after this experience I will not be putting everyone else’s lives at risk by slamming on the brakes to meet their stupid 40km/h rule.

I can live with a fine from the cops, I couldn’t live with the knowledge that by following this dumb rule I killed a man and his 2 kids who happened to be driving beside a B double that was following behind me.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #908 on: August 13, 2019, 07:42:48 AM »
But only in areas where they could easily make money, which would preclude most of the areas outside of the Capital Cities and the sprawl around them.

yep...

leaving it to telcos would have been a mistake...

at least a large majority have something better than they had... continuing issues not withstanding, of course...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #909 on: August 13, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »

5G can outperform our current NBN, in a vacuum... but plenty of factors affect that 5G performance in the real world...

will take a few years for the 5G infrastructure to be able to really make a dent and be a viable alternative option to NBN connections...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #910 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
Quote from: alnjan
Just setup a temp office in Perth using a Netgear Nighthawk... connection 5G - speeds were to drool over...  Just hope the $50/50g mth is enough...
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #911 on: August 13, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »
Just setup a temp office in Perth using a Netgear Nighthawk... connection 5G - speeds were to drool over...  Just hope the $50/50g mth is enough...

curious to know how far away from the tower you are?  and how constant are the speeds?

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #912 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
We were milliseconds away from being killed by that f...ing stupid rule on the weekend.

Driving Sydney to Wagga in the blizzard, the road was wet but not raining at the time, we were in the last vehicle in a group coming down a long descent.
Left hand lane convoy was a wagon (captiva/territory) towing a caged box trailer, 2 sedans and a B double.

Car with box trailer slams on the anchors, 1st sedan reaction is slightly delayed, 2nd sedan can’t slow in time and darts across into the right lane behind the cruiser and just misses the sedan in front of me.
Now the first sedan in the left lane wants to dart into the right lane as well and tries to push in between me and the car in front, but there’s no room. The truckie is hard on the brakes and managing to keep it all straight, then the car with box trailer decides to brake harder and things are about to get messy. I can hear the truck locking up beside me, I move over on to the road shoulder and give the car room to move over and get out from between the truck and the box trailer.

So here we are, 3 vehicles abreast on a 2 lane road, I’m driving off the road shoulder and a semi is seconds away from taking us all out.

The truck now starts to gain fast on the box trailer tower and he must finally look in his mirrors and see what’s coming his way and gets back on the gas letting the truckie get everything straight again.

So there’s at least 10 lives put in a high risk situation just because of that stupid f....ing rule.

I will always try to slow and give as much room as safely possible to emergency vehicles parked with their lights on, but after this experience I will not be putting everyone else’s lives at risk by slamming on the brakes to meet their stupid 40km/h rule.

I can live with a fine from the cops, I couldn’t live with the knowledge that by following this dumb rule I killed a man and his 2 kids who happened to be driving beside a B double that was following behind me.

It's a great idea, that is totally unwarranted
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #913 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »
Quote from: paceman
curious to know how far away from the tower you are?  and how constant are the speeds?
No idea on tower, this was in a temporary office in Perth that I had to setup for 4-6 weeks while renovations are going on. I was only there 3 rushed days
If you google it - the office is near HPF Park...
Speeds were at first up and down a bit, but once I moved the nighthawk closer to the exterior of our ground floor office things evened out. Interesting my Telstra rep tried to steer me towards another device, The HTC 5G hub which was around 500 more $ and for the time frame we needed it, wasnt viable.
But for mid 300's - I was happy with this one on a $50/50g plan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:23:06 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Rodt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #914 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

Agree Pete. Try living here and having to do this potentially around every corner. I have been lucky that I have only had to slow down on straights and saw them in plenty of time. One occasion though I had a guy behind me not really paying attention and I thought he was going to get me even though I hadn't braked hard yet

Just waiting for some poor bugger or multiples actually get killed and see what happens with the rule after that.

Probably nothing and it will be the drivers fault

Offline DarWen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #915 on: August 13, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
Agree Pete. Try living here and having to do this potentially around every corner. I have been lucky that I have only had to slow down on straights and saw them in plenty of time. One occasion though I had a guy behind me not really paying attention and I thought he was going to get me even though I hadn't braked hard yet

Just waiting for some poor bugger or multiples actually get killed and see what happens with the rule after that.

Probably nothing and it will be the drivers fault

Pretty sure a motorcycle cop got cleaned up around Coffs Harbour early this year.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #916 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
Friggen house has hidden another of my new parts, Bastard of a place has taken the new solar regulator I got 18 months ago for the X-Over build  and wont give it up now I need it ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #917 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
Do you have one of those houses edz, I have one two.
I brought spare light bulbs for my spray painting lamps, a box of them to exact and they have just disappeared.  ???

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #918 on: August 15, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »
Yep unfortunately, problem is 3 spare rooms after eldest has left home and a garage for things to disappear into + a wife that puts things in boxes with no listings on them.  ::)
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #919 on: August 16, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
+ a wife that puts things in boxes with no listings on them.  ::)

Oh, you've got one of them as well ??? :'(

Darling, have you seen the tools & bits & pieces that were in the garage?

No, I don't think so?

I left them where I had been using them the other day & they're not there any more.

Ohh, yes, I swept the garage out yesterday & there was stuff just lying around so I put it away.

Where ???

I don't know - the garage cupboard ??? Rumpus room ??? Your shed ??? Garden shed ??? With the camping stuff ??? With stuff to go out to the van ??? I don't remember ::)
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #920 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
Oh, you've got one of them as well ??? :'(

Darling, have you seen the tools & bits & pieces that were in the garage?

No, I don't think so?

I left them where I had been using them the other day & they're not there any more.

Ohh, yes, I swept the garage out yesterday & there was stuff just lying around so I put it away.

Where ???

I don't know - the garage cupboard ??? Rumpus room ??? Your shed ??? Garden shed ??? With the camping stuff ??? With stuff to go out to the van ??? I don't remember ::)

I don't go in the sewing room, she doesn't go in the shed! No problems then, leave your mess to yourself to worry about
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Rodt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #921 on: August 16, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »

There is your problem mate.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #922 on: August 16, 2019, 02:11:35 PM »
There is your problem mate.
It took me years to get the mother-in-law to stop sweeping my shed.

The worst bit was she'd take my shed broom and go sweeping in the house with it.
I saw a bit of drilling swarf stuck between the flooring and the skirting in the hallway one day and asked if she'd used my shed broom inside the house; "oh yes, all the time".... ::)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #923 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
I've posted this before.
We have school kids protesting in the streets, 'Governments needs to do more about climate Change'.
Yet they can not turn a farken light off when they leave a room.
Yes, my children are guilty of this, wtf don't they get.
And 20 minute farken showers?????
But yeah, I can't say anything.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My Image Gallery
« Reply #924 on: August 18, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
Why do women feel the need to fill a peaceful silence with random conversation?......