Author Topic: "Daily Rant" thread 2019  (Read 96268 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: "Daily Rant" thread 2019
« Reply #1325 on: November 13, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
Agree....people can jump on the bandwagon and scream that the forests are to blame.  Way too many people who live in possible fire areas dont clean their properties, maintain  firebreaks or trim trees.  In the NT new houses had to have a cyclone room( bathroom or toilet had solid filled walls to handle a cat 4 or 5 cyclone. We had a 2 x 3 meter concrete filled block room that we used several times for bad cyclones..1 and 2 were nothing.   Why cant people in rural areas near forests have a fire bunker?   

now this, i agree with wholeheartedly...

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1326 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/OandA/Areas/Assessing-our-climate/State-of-the-Climate-2018/Australias-changing-climate

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1327 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/OandA/Areas/Assessing-our-climate/State-of-the-Climate-2018/Australias-changing-climate

Cheers Glen

i wonder why the BOM and CSIRO don't detail temps before 1900, other than that's when the BOM started?

http://joannenova.com.au/2014/08/hiding-something-bom-throws-out-bourkes-hot-historic-data-changes-long-cooling-trend-to-warming/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:05:28 AM by paceman »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1328 on: November 13, 2019, 09:13:07 AM »
Longer droughts, stronger winds and hotter days are now and will continue to be the norm.  Years of the same weather has culminated in the fires we have now.   

the following is not my comment, but illustrates a good point (BOLD points added by me):

The numbers don’t lie, indeed.
It is well documented that long-term records of rural weather stations indicate little or no warming over the past century.
The fires are tragic, however a search of three long-term temperature records on the BoM website of towns in the affected area indicates that there has been no net change in the average annual maximum temperature since the late 1800s – early 1900s and although extremely variable and patchy from year to year, the average rainfall overall is also about the same.
In short the affected area of NE NSW overall is probably no warmer during the day and no drier than it was 100 years ago.

Annual Mean maximum temperature (°C):

Lismore (Centre Street)
1891-1920 … 25.5
1981-2010 … 25.4

Grafton City Council
1891-1920 … 26.7
1951-1980 … 25.3

Glen Innes Post Office
1891-1920 … 20.2
1981-2010 … 20.4

Annual Decile 5 (median) rainfall (mm):

Lismore (Centre Street)
1891-1920 … 1192.2
1981-2010 … 1274.8

Grafton City Council
1871-1900 …. 911.8
1951-1980 … 1029.5

Glen Innes Post Office
1891-1920 …. 767.6
1981-2010 …. 916.3
The following users thanked this post: briann532

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2019, 09:15:18 AM »
I wish someone would explain to me how and why a government agency would lead this conspiracy, when the government that funds it isnt a climate change believer?
People want to see a conspiracy in everything.

Cheers Glen

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1330 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
I wish someone would explain to me how and why a government agency would lead this conspiracy, when the government that funds it isnt a climate change believer?
People want to see a conspiracy in everything.

Cheers Glen

did you read the articles i linked to, and the articles that were included in the linked article?

are you OK with the public only been shown the data that leads to one conclusion, to the obvious exclusion of other data that even might point in another direction?

this is not data that has just been made up.  it's real, unhomogenised, unadulterated data. 

i'll ask a return question:

why are so many (in government and private life) so quick to completely dismiss and try to hide data that looks to go against the climate change theory?

i'm not trying to start a war, but try to give people an opportunity to make up their own mind with ALL the facts available to them.

i've got no problem being called a 'fool' as in previous posts, but is it more foolish to make a stand on something, without ALL the available facts?

in the end, people will believe what they will.  if it makes people feel good about themselves to denigrate people with a different opinion (even if they are based on real data), then that is up to them.

i'm a skeptic, and there's enough data to back that up, at this stage.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:27:52 AM by paceman »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1331 on: November 13, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
Yes I did.
Im not denying anything.
Still dont understand why a government agency is leading conspiracy when the government has a different view.
And even more baffling is the U.S. and other have the same "problem".
I have more trust in world wide scientific studies subject to peer review, rather than isolated facts and figures used to support any view.
Only time will tell, and I really wish they are wrong.

Cheers Glen

The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1332 on: November 13, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
[quote ]
  Way too many people who live in possible fire areas dont clean their properties, maintain  firebreaks or trim trees.
[/quote]

Yep some don't / can't / arn't able too or won't .. As for the fire breaks and trimming .. both groups need to be tempered with in a lot of cases with not being allowed too by laws ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEmAkD0i7w can be a problem too
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:57:29 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1333 on: November 13, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
I have more trust in world wide scientific studies subject to peer review, rather than isolated facts and figures used to support any view.
Only time will tell, and I really wish they are wrong.

Cheers Glen

and there are plenty of these studies that show a conclusion that our climate is changing naturally... do you trust them?

i'm more concerned about what will be forced on the public, in the name of something that hasn't been proven, and the potential consequences of this changes.

also concerned that trillions of $$$ are being diverted from helping to solve real problems, to try and fix something that we might not be causing or have any control over.

these types of changes affect our day to day life.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1334 on: November 13, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
At the start of November, NSW was having its warmest year-to-date on record based on both mean and maximum temperatures and its driest year-to-date since 1940.

This prolonged spell of unusually warm and dry weather provided the fuel for an outbreak of bushfires across NSW and southern Queensland during the past week, some of which destroyed homes and claimed lives.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1335 on: November 13, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
At the start of November, NSW was having its warmest year-to-date on record based on both mean and maximum temperatures and its driest year-to-date since 1940.

This prolonged spell of unusually warm and dry weather provided the fuel for an outbreak of bushfires across NSW and southern Queensland during the past week, some of which destroyed homes and claimed lives.

you forgot to add the source:

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/warm-dry-end-to-2019-increasingly-likely-for-nsw/530513

and, the weather didn't provide the fuel.  it exacerbated the problem, no doubt.  but without the fuel (and the associated mismanagement of it), the fires would either not have happened, or would not have been as severe.  this has been confirmed by a number of men on the ground, fighting these fires.

and, the root cause has still not been determined.  a number of fires are being investigated as being deliberately lit, which isn't a climate cause.

i've said my piece on the fires.  hoping people stay safe in affected areas and others help out where they can.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:54:16 AM by paceman »
The following users thanked this post: Rodt

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1336 on: November 13, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
It amuses me a bit when people prefer to trust the scientist and their peer reviewed work and then seem to only refer to a select group of scientist and peer reviewed work and discredit other scientist with equally peer reviewed work that state the opposite. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1337 on: November 13, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
It amuses me a bit when people prefer to trust the scientist and their peer reviewed work and then seem to only refer to a select group of scientist and peer reviewed work and discredit other scientist with equally peer reviewed work that state the opposite.
Al, I can only go on what CSIRO, NASA etc say is happening.
Im not claiming to be that smart, but Im smart enough to know you cant believe everything, and that includes Dr Google many want to believe over independant bodies.
Someone please explain how right wing politics in government around the world  are really the Greenies in disguise, overseeing and manipulating this mass cover up involving untold amounts of people to produce this conspiracy??
My head is hurting so Im gunna go and play some music, think nice things and smile.

Cheers Glen

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1338 on: November 13, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »

It amuses me when people pretend there is meaningful disagreement in the published research on climate change.
The vast majority of research indicates that the planet is warming (at an alarming rate) and that the main reason is almost certainly human activities.
The fact that a very small number of individuals have contrary views and publish crap papers on the subject doesn't alter the scientific consensus on the subject.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline doc evil

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1339 on: November 13, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »

snip

Things are only going to get worse. All the climate change denialists  are now starting to look like the fools they are. Longer droughts, stronger winds and hotter days are now and will continue to be the norm.  Years of the same weather has culminated in the fires we have now.   Even here in the far north we have had bush fires in wet tropical forests!  Unheard of...

And the "heat wave" in Marble Bar with 160 continuous days over 100F in 1923/24..........unheard of.............
The "federation drought" that lasted 8 years in 1895 to 1903..............unheard of.............
The National drought in 1958 to 1968..........................unheard of.............
The Brisbane floods of 1974...................unheard of..............
Black Friday fires of 1939...................unheard of..............
Ash Wednesday, Black Saturday, drought of 82-83.........all unheard off.............

Media hype fail to see beyond the last 20, 30, 50 or 100 years (whichever appears the worse) to incorporate it into the studies.

The sheeple believe the diatribe and the climate change activists slurp it up and attempt to change everyone's thinking, just like a vegan tries to stop us from eating a Bunnings sausage (with onions on top).

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Furious01

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1340 on: November 13, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
The problem I see with climate activists is they try and use punishment to change behavior instead of incentives. Why say if you do this something terrible will happen. Because you cannot see the terrible thing happening you tend to discredit.

The argument should have been if you change your behavior you will personally get a benefit. People will respond better to that. There would still not be a consensus due to human thought patterns but ...

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1341 on: November 13, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
I think I would give the activists more attention if they were actually visibly out making a real difference rather that just getting airtime on tv or disrupting peoples lives in the middle of cities etc.
What about trying to reduce rubbish that grubs dispose of inappropriately in waterways, ocean, drains etc. These are all real things that if it was their core function and they were visibly active I would be much more inclined to listen to other theories.
Get people onside by positive action / behaviour rather than negative rhetoric all of the time.

Also annoys me the constant politician / government bashing (exception is anti-clearing / vegetation management laws) whenever anything occurs. I choose to be a responsible citizen or not and the government has nothing to do with it 

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #1342 on: November 13, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »
I think the activists are very successful. They are achieving what they set out to do. You lot are talking about it at least... LOL
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1343 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
We know of at least a couple of ice- ages.
We know the mountains, land forms etc were formed during the volcanic era.
We know the magnetic deviation is real.
We know the earth actually follows an elliptical orbit around the sun.
Are these the changes to environmental factors we see rather than me using too much deodarant?

I know that I was taught in school that all the low lying African and Pacific nations would go underwater if we don't act "NOW" (That was some MANY years ago now)
Data can be used to prove whatever the hell you want. Just a case of finding the right data.

For instance data shows that every man killed in the Korean war and WW1, WW2 etc were wearing pants.
The data clearly shows beyond reasonable doubt that pants are dangerous. They need to be banned NOW!!!!

We are making rash decisions on the very miniscule data of a few hundred years about an earth that has been hear for billions of years or more (who knows??)
It changes, deal with it

Sorry but Global warming and Carbon "TAX" (which is all it is - A tax) is a crock of BS.
Yes we pollute, yes we damage the environment and it has to be curbed, but Aussies cause 1/16th of a poofteenth of a fraction of the damage.
You really want to make a change - stop buying the crap from the people who cause it.
Then start growing your vegies etc etc......

Carbon is becoming the new economy!
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1344 on: November 13, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
Are these the changes to environmental factors we see rather than me using too much deodarant?

I know that I was taught in school that all the low lying African and Pacific nations would go underwater if we don't act "NOW" (That was some MANY years ago now)
Data can be used to prove whatever the hell you want. Just a case of finding the right data.

For instance data shows that every man killed in the Korean war and WW1, WW2 etc were wearing pants.
The data clearly shows beyond reasonable doubt that pants are dangerous. They need to be banned NOW!!!!

We are making rash decisions on the very miniscule data of a few hundred years about an earth that has been hear for billions of years or more (who knows??)
It changes, deal with it

Sorry but Global warming and Carbon "TAX" (which is all it is - A tax) is a crock of BS.
Yes we pollute, yes we damage the environment and it has to be curbed, but Aussies cause 1/16th of a poofteenth of a fraction of the damage.
You really want to make a change - stop buying the crap from the people who cause it.

Well that’s it for me, I’m taking my pants off! ;D ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1345 on: November 13, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
Well that’s it for me, I’m taking my pants off! ;D ;D

So I learnt something today..  If we send our troops to war naked from the waist down....we will be unstoppable!   :D

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1346 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
It amuses me when people pretend there is meaningful disagreement in the published research on climate change.
The vast majority of research indicates that the planet is warming (at an alarming rate) and that the main reason is almost certainly human activities.
The fact that a very small number of individuals have contrary views and publish crap papers on the subject doesn't alter the scientific consensus on the subject.

So you support Dr Tim Ball after their recent Court case when Dr Michael Mann refused to provide his data?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1347 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
I can't recall who said it but as the saying goes there's lies, damn lies then statistics. These days data is power and those who best "market" theirs will always win.

It's just my opinion, but I believe that reducing resource usage on a global scale to the levels promoted by the climate change brigade almost certainly means keeping millions, if not billions, of people in poverty in perpetuity.

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #1348 on: November 13, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »

Actually, there's been 7 major glacial ages in the past 650,000 years.....all well before pants were invented....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium (tandem, of course)

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1349 on: November 13, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »

It changes, deal with it

Yep, don't let the facts get in the way of making money.

The earth has had numerous climate changes over melenium, and scientists have ascertained that these were caused by a slight deviation of the earths axis. There was a mini ice age as late as the 16th century ( almost no man made polution then )
And another little exercise you can do do skew figures.

Lots of "authorities"claim that Australia is the highest per capita polluter in the world, might be true for 15 years ago, but not true now, we are about the 5th or 6th now and going down, easy to check.

Another little skew for you from 2016 figures

Australia's population in round figures 24,000,000
India's population  1.36 BILLION, that's 57 times the Australian population

CO2 Emissions p/c 2016

Australia  17.22 tons
India          1.92  tons

Looks pretty bad for Australia untill you actually do the maths and in 2016 India produced

2925020000 tons more than Australia did.

That's right 2,925 million tons, even if I've got a decimal point in the wrong spot it makes us look like angels

Too many "sheeples" in this world   :-[ ( appologies to Edz)

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"