Author Topic: "Daily Rant" thread 2019  (Read 59953 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: "Daily Rant" thread 2019
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
Bird, they don't have to be 'Female' Judges to produce a woefully inadequate result.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Lost all respect for the legal system many years ago. If your a victim of crime your also a victim of the judicial system. Punishments  handed out are not harsh enough for the crimes which makes the judges worse then the criminals.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
yep.... what they did was awesome, but several other nominees were more deserving of the win IMO. Gotta say though,  I rarely ever agree with who the final winner of Australian of the year is most times, they always seem to choose a one off thing or someone who has only been doing whatever for about a year at most, or a sports person of some description. It feels like rarely does someone that has dedicated themselves for an extended period to a worthy cause, win the big gong....it's more  like a sports person doing a bit of community work on the side, or someone made big in the news (ie: this years winner or Rosie Batty for example) has more of a chance of winning then them.

You're spot on there Rummy :'(

Just saw this article which also backs you up!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-25/order-of-australia-award-for-doing-your-job/10746294
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »
I would like to burn alive the **** that invented those "reCAPTCHA' things... click all the ****in cars, click all the ****in traffic ****in lights and bullShit
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
Bloody coppers are booking motorists in the Cairns area for driving through flood water .

These people have not driven through a Road Closed sign , they have not been speeding , they have not driven in water that is greater that the vehicles manufacturers recommended wading depths .

The coppers are stating the slogan " If it is flooded forget it " and is heard to say that this slogan is law .

The drivers have been booked for Driving  with undue care and attention . If I were one of those who has been booked , I would be contesting the booking in court .

This is nothing but police harassment and fund raising .

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsCairns/videos/2201732640096161/UzpfSTcyNjA3NjkwNDpWSzoyMTYxMjQ0MzAwNTgwNTU2/?comment_id=2161270847244568&notif_id=1548631375067372&notif_t=group_comment_reply
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:29 PM »
The car might be capable of driving through the water but I have to wonder if the driver of the car is.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
cant see this working..

Using Windows 7 was meant to be free, but shortly after announcing new monthly charges for Windows 10, Microsoftconfirmed it would also be introducing monthly fees for Windows 7 and “the price will increase each year”. Understandably, there has been a lot of anger so let’s look at why has Microsoft done this, who it affects and what the future looks like for Windows 7 users… 

News of the monthly fees was quietly announced near the bottom of a September 6th Microsoft blog post called “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”. While the title may grate, look closely and there is actually one crumb of comfort.

-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2019, 05:49:10 PM »
Bloody coppers are booking motorists in the Cairns area for driving through flood water .

These people have not driven through a Road Closed sign , they have not been speeding , they have not driven in water that is greater that the vehicles manufacturers recommended wading depths .

The coppers are stating the slogan " If it is flooded forget it " and is heard to say that this slogan is law .

The drivers have been booked for Driving  with undue care and attention . If I were one of those who has been booked , I would be contesting the booking in court .

This is nothing but police harassment and fund raising .

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsCairns/videos/2201732640096161/UzpfSTcyNjA3NjkwNDpWSzoyMTYxMjQ0MzAwNTgwNTU2/?comment_id=2161270847244568&notif_id=1548631375067372&notif_t=group_comment_reply

I thought this a while ago. Where we are, we have seasonal signs that state "Water over Road". So, if I drive through that, am I driving on a flooded road? Does the water have to be flowing? Does the water have to be above axle height? What if your vehicle has a 700 mm wading height? Another "Open to Interpretation" law. I reckon the bloke in the tilly was ok, someone in a Corolla, not so much. I have no beef with drivers getting pinged for disobeying a "Road Closed" sign or lawful instruction but, whose interpretation is it. A bloke who has driven his fourby  for years or a young connie brought up on rice burners.
Driver attitude is always a big factor, too.

Personally, I wouldn't drive through fast flowing water over a foot deep i.e. 300 mm. Ivanhoe crossing had me puckering a bit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:59:49 PM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'97 300TDi Disco1- Sold & Missed
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'02 Goldie Wing 1

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
Was in the water helping at nippers yesterday, and got poleaxed by three waves in quick succession...

I now no longer own a pair of sunglasses :(

The whole squad looked for them, but I suspect there's now a dolphin swimming around Port Phillip Bay wearing prescription sunnies...

Feck it - it's usually a calm beach...

No idea what to replace them with, as the frame was 15 years old, and on set of lenses 6 or 7...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2019, 05:50:09 AM »
Was in the water helping at nippers yesterday, and got poleaxed by three waves in quick succession...

I now no longer own a pair of sunglasses :(

The whole squad looked for them, but I suspect there's now a dolphin swimming around Port Phillip Bay wearing prescription sunnies...

Feck it - it's usually a calm beach...

No idea what to replace them with, as the frame was 15 years old, and on set of lenses 6 or 7...

Three waves? Was it the ferry going in or out, they set up a really crap wake, usually a series of three goes right across the bay

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2019, 06:58:47 AM »
cant see this working..

Using Windows 7 was meant to be free, but shortly after announcing new monthly charges for Windows 10, Microsoftconfirmed it would also be introducing monthly fees for Windows 7 and “the price will increase each year”. Understandably, there has been a lot of anger so let’s look at why has Microsoft done this, who it affects and what the future looks like for Windows 7 users…

News of the monthly fees was quietly announced near the bottom of a September 6th Microsoft blog post called “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”. While the title may grate, look closely and there is actually one crumb of comfort.

Sorry, Bird, but what on Earth are you talking about ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »
Lost all respect for the legal system many years ago. If your a victim of crime your also a victim of the judicial system. Punishments  handed out are not harsh enough for the crimes which makes the judges worse then the criminals.
Meanwhile over in the mother country this sort of thing is going on....

Two brothers involved in a high-speed crash that killed four people have been jailed.
Elliott Bower, 19, was sentenced to 11-and-a-half years in prison for causing the crash. He was behind the wheel of a stolen car at the time, and was on the run from the police.
His 23-year-old brother Declan, and passenger Mason Cartledge, now 18, were each sentenced to seven years and 10 months for their involvement in the crash, which happened in Sheffield on 9 November.

The Bower brothers were wanted by police at the time of the crash, and had earlier posted a picture of themselves on social media with the caption "f* da police".

During sentencing, Judge Jeremy Richardson said the trio were part of a "miserably inadequate group of deeply malevolent local criminals".

The judge also questioned the maximum jail terms that can be handed out in death by dangerous driving cases - and suggested that "exceptional, serious" cases may be deserving of longer jail terms than the current maximum of 14 years.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of our spineless judges making similar comments lately.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
Can’t say I’ve ever heard of our spineless judges making similar comments lately.

Can we poach him?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
So Bird give me some advice. Im not super tech savy, but have a bit of an idea on the computer. Havent turned PC on for 6 months, but it does get used on occasions, and is needed.
Dont want Apple, don't want to pay licensing, so whats my options.
What open sourced systems are there, and what are the pros and cons of any?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
Quote from: glenm64
So Bird give me some advice. Im not super tech savy, but have a bit of an idea on the computer. Havent turned PC on for 6 months, but it does get used on occasions, and is needed.

Cheers Glen
Pick a flavour of Linux, download it, and start learning - some are easier than others.. Some have a real good Graphic interfacce like Windows, then download Open office - free Office, not as powerful as MS version, but 90% of people dont use 1/2 of what Office can do.

https://fossbytes.com/best-linux-desktop-environments/
https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-linux-desktop-environment-reviewed-and-compared/

There are a few LINUX boffins on here who will have recommendations of which flavour to use
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:35:26 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »

Cheers Glen

Linux, some are easy, some are hard, 99% are free, download, burn an "iso image" to disk, and try them out.

search for "linux desktop"
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »
Are there security issues with open source operating systems?
Or are they like the evil MS with updates etc

Cheers Glen

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
Quote from: glenm64
Are there security issues with open source operating systems?
Or are they like the evil MS with updates etc

The only real secure computer is one that is not connected to the outside world or any other computer at all. :)

Any computer can be hacked, or phuqt no matter what OS.. Linux is highly regarded, not as it was 20 odd yrs ago a back yard OS.

Dell and IBM at one stage started releasing new laptops at one time with Linux as an option... shame they didnt keep going.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
Here's a bit more info for you Glenm
https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
Thanks Xcvator, very helpful article.

Cheers Glen

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
I would suggest if you're coming from Windows, then Linux Mint is the easiest transition, and based on Ubuntu.  If you're coming from Mac, then Ubuntu is quite good as a transition.

If you're prepared to take a little bit of time, and don't need the S&G, then I prefer Ubuntu.  It's probably the most mainstream desktop Linux distribution at the moment, I've not found any common hardware it doesn't recognise, and it runs very well on older hardware

Elementary OS is pretty much an open source Mac in appearance

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:38:54 AM by DrewXT »
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:45 PM »
I've been running various versions of Linux Mint for quite a while now, and it does everything I want to do, except for one program that I have on a windows lappy, that Linux just can't compete with "MediaMonkey Gold" My whinge is that I still have to keep a windows computer, just for one prog.

Current Mint I'm running is Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit, on an older Toshiba L-50. And Libre Office is what I use on both windows and Linux laptops.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »
I've been running various versions of Linux Mint for quite a while now, and it does everything I want to do, except for one program that I have on a windows lappy, that Linux just can't compete with "MediaMonkey Gold" My whinge is that I still have to keep a windows computer, just for one prog.

Current Mint I'm running is Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit, on an older Toshiba L-50. And Libre Office is what I use on both windows and Linux laptops.
What language are you guys using? I just open my laptop, type in my password and there is good old google.  ;D   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
Same here. Our council added us to a flood zone. When’s it ever flooded here? Never

My mate who works at the council justified it and said “well we plan for the 100 year flood which is due soon.” Right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate, it's not a 1 in a 100 year flood..... it's a 1 in a 100 chance that a flood could occur of that size... sounds pedantic but the 1st one should only occur once in a 100 years, the other COULD happen twice in a month!!

Hem
2010 Mazda BT50 "Freestyle" cab chassis plus custom canopy and lots of fruit, 2011 ModCon Elysium.