Author Topic: Whats making news - 2019 edition  (Read 50168 times)

Offline bob65

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #1475 on: August 13, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
You don't know if he even tried to get a gun, so you can't say he couldn't.

I say that just one person with a gun could very well have prevented that one fatality and multiple people being injured.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1476 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
Quote from: JusyApples
Should have let the bloke keep slapping further sense into him.

Was disappointed in the Merc driver, as soon as he jumped on my bonnet, would have nailed it hoping to cave his head in on the road :D
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1477 on: August 14, 2019, 03:45:49 AM »
You don't know if he even tried to get a gun, so you can't say he couldn't.

I say that just one person with a gun could very well have prevented that one fatality and multiple people being injured.
As long as that one person is a good shot.

Armed civilian in a panic, whips out his weapon and shots.
Damn, missed, shoot again..... oh, its ok, missed the bad guy but got the 2 onlookers behind him on the other footpath.

Trained cops and the like, aren't always the crack shot they'd like to be.
As for Danny Do-gooder who has only ever shot at paper targets at a shooting range.  ::)
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #1478 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:47 AM »
But the previous argument was that bad people can get guns anyway.

Here’s a bad person that thankfully couldn’t get his hands on a gun.

I count 12 people in that image I posted.
If this guy had easy access to a large capacity semi automatic weapon it’s pretty safe to say the death toll today would have been at least 12 times higher then it is.

Do you really think there would have been normal people chasing him down the street with chairs and a milk crate if this guy was firing off 10 rounds a second?
Bad people can get guns. Who says he couldn’t have had access to the gun? Some people have fetishes for knives. A 15yr old was able to get a gun to kill Curtis Cheng in Parramatta. He was also waving the gun around in the air. Still had a gun though. What’s your point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline bob65

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #1479 on: August 14, 2019, 05:41:37 AM »
As long as that one person is a good shot.

Armed civilian in a panic, whips out his weapon and shots.
Damn, missed, shoot again..... oh, its ok, missed the bad guy but got the 2 onlookers behind him on the other footpath.

Trained cops and the like, aren't always the crack shot they'd like to be.
As for Danny Do-gooder who has only ever shot at paper targets at a shooting range.  ::)
Or Danny doogooder could have shot the bad guy and ended the story there.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1480 on: August 14, 2019, 05:45:57 AM »
Was disappointed in the Merc driver, as soon as he jumped on my bonnet, would have nailed it hoping to cave his head in on the road :D

Quick dump of throttle in reverse..... guy goes arse over tit in front of the
merc.
Driver panics, can't see the offender, so grabs drive and goes forward.... say 20 feet should do it.

Officer... officer, I panicked.... I was terrified..... I didn't mean to run over him.

If the turd jumped on my car, he'd quickly find out what 4,872lbs of Cadillac feels like going over him.
Half his internal organs would be hanging out his arsehole.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1481 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:02 AM »
Or Danny doogooder could have shot the bad guy and ended the story there.

Oh look Bob, that's correct, it could go well for sure.
I just question if one, two or twenty civilians all did it..... if it would end well or badly.

Its big IF and as you well know, it can go either way.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1482 on: August 14, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
Oh look Bob, that's correct, it could go well for sure.
I just question if one, two or twenty civilians all did it..... if it would end well or badly.

Its big IF and as you well know, it can go either way.
Last thing we need is more guns on the street.  Turning into America wont help. There will always be some sort of a lunatic that wants to harm others. Guns are by far the biggest problem in mass killings or even individual murders.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #1483 on: August 14, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
Bad people can get guns. Who says he couldn’t have had access to the gun? Some people have fetishes for knives. A 15yr old was able to get a gun to kill Curtis Cheng in Parramatta. He was also waving the gun around in the air. Still had a gun though. What’s your point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankfully guns aren’t easily accessible in this country and as a result yesterday’s tragedy only ended with one dead, one injured and some brave civilians where able to physically restrain this guy and stop it from being much worse.

Sure, this guy ‘could’ have had contacts in the criminal groups that still have weapons and got one if he really wanted to. But he didn’t have a gun in his hands yesterday.
And the fact is that if he did have a gun in his hands and stood at that intersection fire shots into the crowd instead of waving a knife around those streets would be littered with bodies, including those of the brave civilians that tried to stop him.

My point is; I’m so glad this is not America and we don’t have guns laying around everywhere for nit-wits and loonies like this guy to get their hands on and kill many, many more people and the argument you’re trying to make that guns are no different to knives is nonsensical.

And as for Bob’s point about armed citizens stopping there from being any casualties yesterday and living in that fantasy land were everybody has guns and there’s no more violence, 2 points on that one;

Firstly, The one person that was tragically killed by that guy yesterday was in an apartment block. So do we all get a guy with a gun standing at all of our front doors, or is it just one at each building entry?And just to make sure the baddies can’t get into our houses and apartments we should have guns on the street too, but how many meters apart should the armed guards be, is it a set distance or just line of sight?

And secondly, America has proved the total opposite of your logic is true.
37% of Texans own (multiple) guns, so where were all of those gun slinging brave Americans with their open carry weapons and assault rifles out their defending 20 their fellow citizens in that shopping center 11 days ago?
The armed guard at Majory Stoneman High school didn’t stop 17 innocent kids being shot that day either, just Incase you conveniently forgot that fact too.

Guns are just fine in the hands of Police and military.
I like Australia just the way it is, if you want to carry a weapon on our streets so you can “take out” any citizens you think might be a threat to you then Qantas has a sale on for flights to the US at the moment, you’re welcome to enjoy all of those “freedoms” over there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:27:35 AM by Pete79 »

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #1484 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
Well you never know when the Zombie Apocalypse could begin...
Personally I'd prefer a big club with a spike in the end. They don't run out of ammo...

Good to see the fireman carrying a Halligan Tool agreed with me.   :cup:

4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1485 on: August 14, 2019, 08:30:11 AM »

And that person should be a member of the police, not some joe blow without the legal authority to shoot someone.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1486 on: August 14, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
Hi,
   Thought they were hooligan tool.
Could be wrong though.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline simmo_33

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1487 on: August 14, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
Hi,
Could be wrong though.
Cheers

Halligan tool is the correct name but just about universally referred to as a hooligan tool in Australia, not sure about overseas. It's a great piece of kit, with multiple uses.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1488 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
 Citizens with guns. 
https://youtu.be/-tTp7LllJ4U
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1489 on: August 14, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Better ban knives now.

It would be a much better had he been able to go into department store and buy a semi automatic assualt rifle without needing a background check or licence hey.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1490 on: August 14, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers
Quick dump of throttle in reverse..... guy goes arse over tit in front of the
merc.
Driver panics, can't see the offender, so grabs drive and goes forward.... say 20 feet should do it.

Officer... officer, I panicked.... I was terrified..... I didn't mean to run over him.

If the turd jumped on my car, he'd quickly find out what 4,872lbs of Cadillac feels like going over him.
Half his internal organs would be hanging out his arsehole.
I'd pay to see that :D :D :D
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline bob65

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #1491 on: August 14, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
And that person should be a member of the police, not some joe blow without the legal authority to shoot someone.
When seconds count, Police are minutes away.

Fact: A civilian pistol owner has to spend more time more often at a range practising just to keep their license,  than a Police officer needs to to maintain their qualification to carry a gun with them while on duty.

(I did not post that to cause an argument, but to make people aware of some facts)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1492 on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:46 AM »
Hi,
Could be wrong though.
Cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halligan_bar
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1493 on: August 14, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
The following users thanked this post: #jonesy

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1494 on: August 14, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
When seconds count, Police are minutes away.

Fact: A civilian pistol owner has to spend more time more often at a range practising just to keep their license,  than a Police officer needs to to maintain their qualification to carry a gun with them while on duty.

(I did not post that to cause an argument, but to make people aware of some facts)

I don't care, I don't want some person who thinks he is wild Bill Hickok or Annie Oakley walking the streets with a firearm and think they have the ability, skill or where with all to be a vigilante. What happens when they have mental health issues or a grudge and decide to take it out on the public or their workmates etc.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1495 on: August 14, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
Quote from: Pottsy
I don't care, I don't want some person who thinks he is wild Bill Hickok or Annie Oakley walking the streets with a firearm and think they have the ability, skill or where with all to be a vigilante. What happens when they have mental health issues or a grudge and decide to take it out on the public or their workmates etc.
agree

Im fairly sure i dont want 50 people in the CBD seeing a situation like yesterday unfold, and then all start opening fire going for hero status.. chances are there would be numerous innocent deaths within seconds.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1496 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
Kennesaw Gorgia went the other direction, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ra-PlFKoqk  .. For an American city that pretty much makes it mandatory  not to own a fire arm, one  [ 1 ] murder in five years is fairly good going .. Considering the way most yank cities / towns are, it seems people dont want to comit much crime there ...check its stats to that of our cities and see the difference .. https://www.kennesaw-ga.gov/crime-statistics/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:01:46 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1497 on: August 14, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
agree

Im fairly sure i dont want 50 people in the CBD seeing a situation like yesterday unfold, and then all start opening fire going for hero status.. chances are there would be numerous innocent deaths within seconds.

X2

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1498 on: August 14, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Kennesaw Gorgia went the other direction, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ra-PlFKoqk  .. For an American city that pretty much makes it illegal not to own a fire arm, one  [ 1 ] murder in five years is fairly good going .. Considering the way most yank cities / towns are, it seems people dont want to comit much crime there ...check its stats to that of our cities and see the difference .. https://www.kennesaw-ga.gov/crime-statistics/

Worth a read for context https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kennesaw-gun-law/

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1499 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
Yep read that too and a lot of other reports on how its worked / not worked etc .. Still falls a hell of a lot shorter than a lot of places in America in overall crime  stats and  Australian cities  included though .
It might work for them for what ever reason good or bad, Though I'll temper that with, Even having been in / around highly trained people with  military weapons, in all sorts of places ....    I wouldnt be comfortable or want my family having to deal with Joe Blogs muppets running around the streets armed either .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:18:20 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "