Author Topic: Whats making news - 2019 edition  (Read 12590 times)

paull, McGirr, macca, Bookleaf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
I can just see bird giving everyone on East Link the bird as he flys over on the way to work
wouldnt you!
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Online macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
wouldnt you!
Blood oath, if only I had the $300,000 odd to pay for it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Blood oath, if only I had the $300,000 odd to pay for it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
thought that was glovebox money for u :(
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
Looks like a single gunman shooting in Christchuch NZ has killed 27 people at afternoon prayers at a mosque. Pretty graphic footage. :-[ :-[
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Happy Campers
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Looks like a single gunman shooting in Christchuch NZ has killed 27 people at afternoon prayers at a mosque. Pretty graphic footage. :-[ :-[
Yes this is shocking Pottsy. Two mosques have been shot up and victims include women and children. Police have picked up four shooters so far and the main instigator is named as an Australian, although not of Australian desent. He apparantly saw NZ as a soft place to carry out these vile acts of terrorism. This will not end well for the Kiwis.

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Yes this is shocking Pottsy. Two mosques have been shot up and victims include women and children. Police have picked up four shooters so far and the main instigator is named as an Australian, although not of Australian desent. He apparantly saw NZ as a soft place to carry out these vile acts of terrorism. This will not end well for the Kiwis.

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

And uploaded live to facebook so all the brain dead can see what happens in the real world.  No doubt about it....social media...the toilet bowl of the internet.
Social Media...the toilet bowl of the internet..

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »
Even the footage on Sky news sends a shiver down your spine, driving down the road, weapon at the ready, almost as if he was looking for a victim. Footage from a chest mounted GoPro
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
A Grafton Man,
A horrible thing, hope his family is not targeted.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »
A Grafton Man,
a friend of a friend went to school with him, reckons he was just a normal guy at school...just been looking at his school year picture on friends facebook page, amazing how much people can change as they grow older. Friend is thinking maybe his mum taught her at school, but she reckons there's a few people with that surname in Grafton.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline saph

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »
Whats worse now is how one of the senators here is reacting wait till that hits the news

Offline KingBilly

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Coddiwompling through life
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

49 dead, 48 in hospital.  So very, very sad.

KB

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Whats worse now is how one of the senators here is reacting wait till that hits the news
So according to him, they brought this on them selves, being Muslim.

Offline saph

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
So according to him, they brought this on them selves, being Muslim.

No actualy migration policys was the big hitter, been fun putting them on public blast via twitter wont surprise me if ten and 9 news reply to my questions asking if they wanted the story about the senator that also deleted tweet that would have been archived already same as this post will be in one of many sites in a hour or so by the many crawlers that are everywhere

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2019, 07:22:10 AM »
It is interesting to see the outrage and response by non Muslim Australians that someone would do this to people of the Muslim faith.

Yet when the roles are reversed you hear no outrage no outcry by anyone in the Muslim community, they stay silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
It is interesting to see the outrage and response by non Muslim Australians that someone would do this to people of the Muslim faith.

Yet when the roles are reversed you hear no outrage no outcry by anyone in the Muslim community, they stay silent.

I’m not sure I agree with you. Plenty of Muslims decry violence committed by Muslims. But there are extremes just like Fraser Anning on both sides and the media would much rather focus on the extreme views because that gets clicks and advertsing revenue.
I work with people from all sorts of backgrounds, including plenty of Muslims, and they are just people.... i actually think using the word normal people suggests there is such a thing as abnormal people on a grander scale. Certainly individuals may not meet our society’s norms but that is not the same as inferring that a large group of people is abnormal.
Jacinda Adern’s statement “they are us” in reference to the victims is one of the more powerful statements I have heard from a politician in a long time.
The reality is people have disagreed and fought with each other over many things for millenia but when you boil it all down, we are all the same regardless of our religious beliefs, sexuality or favourite footy team. And there will always be those amongst who, for their own perverted reasons, will want to harm us.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2019, 08:38:41 AM »
I’m not sure I agree with you. Plenty of Muslims decry violence committed by Muslims. But there are extremes just like Fraser Anning on both sides and the media would much rather focus on the extreme views because that gets clicks and advertsing revenue.
I work with people from all sorts of backgrounds, including plenty of Muslims, and they are just people.... i actually think using the word normal people suggests there is such a thing as abnormal people on a grander scale. Certainly individuals may not meet our society’s norms but that is not the same as inferring that a large group of people is abnormal.
Jacinda Adern’s statement “they are us” in reference to the victims is one of the more powerful statements I have heard from a politician in a long time.
The reality is people have disagreed and fought with each other over many things for millenia but when you boil it all down, we are all the same regardless of our religious beliefs, sexuality or favourite footy team. And there will always be those amongst who, for their own perverted reasons, will want to harm us.
Jacinta Ardern is of the left of course she would say that.

It’s not what about the media betrays, you can see for yourself on social media the difference in reactions by people.
The only one you ever hear from is Imam Tawhidi and he is disliked by a large portion of the Muslim community.

Bought a what?

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2019, 09:05:46 AM »
No, Jacinda Adern says it because it is right! F’all to do with what side of politics she is on!

I may never live to see it but maybe one day, all ths left this/right that bullShit will disappear, but i won’t keep my hopes up. Had a bloke come to the door last week campaigning for labour. Told him i wasn’t interested. Him: “Oh so i support the wrong side then”. Me: “no, i’m just not bloody interested in talking you”. Off he walks in a bit of a huff.

Offline KingBilly

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
No, Jacinda Adern says it because it is right! F’all to do with what side of politics she is on!

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2019, 09:22:31 AM »
Just read Waleed Aly's commentary from yesterday - in particular, the (paraphrased) comment of "I'm no longer shocked"

On Friday night, writer and television co-host Waleed Aly spoke on The Project about the mass shootings at two mosques in New Zealand.

The clip has been shared tens of thousands of times and viewed over a million times.

Here is a transcript of what he said.

You’ll have to forgive me, these won’t be my best words. The truth is, I don’t want to be talking today. When I was asked if it was something I wanted to do, I resisted it all day until finally I had this overwhelming sense that it was something in my responsibility to do so and maybe that’s misguided.

But of all the things I could say tonight, that I’m gutted and I’m scared and I feel overcome with utter hopelessness, the most dishonest thing, the most dishonest thing would be to say that I’m shocked. I’m simply not.

There’s nothing about what happened in Christchurch today that shocked me. I wasn’t shocked when six people were shot to death at a mosque in Quebec City two years ago. I wasn’t shocked when a man drove a van into Finsbury Park mosque in London about six months later and I wasn’t shocked when 11 Jews were shot dead in a Pittsburgh synagogue late last year or when nine Christians were killed at a church in Charleston. If we’re honest, we’ll know this has been coming.

I went to the mosque today, I do that every Friday just like the people in those mosques in Christchurch today. I know exactly what those moments before the shooting began would have been like. I know how quiet, how still, how introspective those people would have been before they were suddenly gunned down, how separated from the world they were feeling until the world came in and tore their lives apart.

And I know the people who did this knew well enough how profoundly defenseless their victims were in that moment. This is a congregational prayer that happens every week like clockwork. This was slaughter by appointment. And it’s scary because, like millions of other Muslims, I’m going to keep attending those appointments and it feels like fish in a barrel.

But that isn’t the scariest thing. The thing that scared me most was when I started reading the manifesto that one of the apparent perpetrators of this attack published, not because it was deranged but because it was so familiar. Let me share some quotes with you to show you what I mean.

"The truth is that Islam is not like any other faith. It is the religious equivalent of fascism," or, "The real cause of bloodshed is the migration program which allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate in the first place." Or, "As we read in Matthew 26:52: 'All they that take the sword shall perish by the sword'. And those who follow a violent religion that causes them to murder us cannot be surprised when somebody takes them at their word and responds at kind."

How do those words sound now? Now how do they sound when I tell you that they weren’t part of the manifesto? They were actually published today after this terrorist attack on Australian parliamentary letterhead. And I know they came from someone who I don’t particularly want to name at the moment, who all parties have denounced. I also know that the leader of one of those parties that denounced him once described Islam as a disease Australia needs to vaccinate. And even that party is kind of on the fringes despite some valiant attempts by our media to change that.

But I also know a senior figure in our government once suggested we made a mistake as a country by letting in Lebanese Muslims in the 70s. And I know there are media reports going back eight years at a shadow cabinet meeting in which another senior politician suggested his party should use community concerns about Muslims in Australia failing to integrate as a political strategy. That person is now the most senior politician we have.

So while I appreciate the words our leaders have said today, and in particular Scott Morrison’s comments and his preparedness to call this terrorism and the strength of his comments more generally, I have something to ask. Don’t change your tune now because the terrorism seems to be coming from a white supremacist. If you’ve been talking about being "tough on terrorism" for years in the communities that allegedly support it, show us how tough you are now.

For [me], I’m going to say the same thing I said about four years ago after a horrific Islamist attack. Now, now we come together. Now we understand that this is not a game, terrorism doesn’t choose its victims selectively, that we are one community and that everything we say to try to tear people apart, demonise particular groups, set them against each other, that all has consequences even if we’re not the ones with our fingers on the trigger.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/the-most-dishonest-thing-would-be-to-say-that-i-m-shocked-20190316-p514q2.html

In terms of the whole left vs right argument - there is a need to be a decent human being, and unfortunately there are some who just cannot manage that on all sides; the right is getting more and more disconnected from the prevailing reality and drifting into an extreme view - the prime example of this is the blissful ignorance of the changing climate and the impact it is going to have on the economy; this disconnect is really at a Federal level, given I have Barnyard as my Federal representative who is pro-coal and Adam Marshall at State who is pro-renewables... both are Nationals (and both are in election mode admittedly... I know which one might be more popular). The left tend to be quite good at mud slinging, but not as good at coming up with a viable alternative plan...
1992 Toyota 4Runner VZN130 (3.slo V6):

1996 Kanga Camping trailer: Build in progress

Offline KingBilly

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »

If you are going to start a religious discussion, at least try to get your facts right.

Muslim is not a faith.  Islam is the religion or faith.  A Muslim is a person who follows or practices Islam.

KB

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
You can't criticize without reservation when it's done by a Muslim and not when it's a non-Muslim without being a hypocrite.

I think the media shows what they think will get the most clicks, in this case, we have an actual Member of Parliament publishing a letter on a Government letterhead pretty much blaming Muslims for being shot. The ludicrousness of him finishing off his letter with "those who live by the sword will die by the sword" is breathtakingly stupid, like the kids that were shot were actually living "by the sword" or probably any of the others who were there peacefully going about their day. The extremes are what gets reported, not normally what the majority think.   

Jacinta Ardern is of the left of course she would say that.

It’s not what about the media betrays, you can see for yourself on social media the difference in reactions by people.
The only one you ever hear from is Imam Tawhidi and he is disliked by a large portion of the Muslim community.

How many Muslims do you follow/read on social media, I suspect that would account for the vast majority of what you see in the difference of reactions.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:59:57 AM by tryagain »
The following users thanked this post: bkim

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
The way I see it this, as this cold blooded killer is an  Australian, will be just what the Islamic extremists will use, to give them a reason to bring there hate to us here.

What I would like to know though, as he was streaming his killing spree live, did anyone watching, ring 000 to try to stop him. Anyone watching it live and did not do so, should be charged as an accessory to murder as well.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2019, 10:12:59 AM »
Interestingly this is called mainly by media but also some leaders an act of terrorism, yet other incidents there almost seems to be excuses made for their terrorist actions without calling it terrorism.   

The offenders need to be dealt with according to their actions, not by the state of mind at the time.  These offenders should never see the light of day again. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
Quote from: jclures
The way I see it this, as this cold blooded killer is an  Australian, will be just what the Islamic extremists will use, to give them a reason to bring there hate to us here.

this was my 100% first thought. theres thousands of em here just waiting for the goahead.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »

How many Muslims do you follow/read on social media, I suspect that would account for the vast majority of what you see in the difference of reactions.
But it’s not who you follow, you can read comments posted on various articles yourself.
Muslims rarely call out muslims for terrorism related offences. They sit in silence.

Bought a what?