Author Topic: Whats making news - 2019 edition  (Read 87212 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #2200 on: December 05, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »

I'd think in this pathetic PC riddled day and age, 99% of people are smart enough to realise you dont say Shit like that at work anymore without risk of getting the arse. Then if your delusional and believe in ghosts anything is possible.

Didn't say at work and that's the point of the whole case.    A comment made on a personal page, completely unrelated to work and work never mentioned anywhere in the comments.   How far and how much rule does a Code of Conduct carry that you can not make a personal comment completely away from work? 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2201 on: December 05, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
Didn't say at work and that's the point of the whole case.    A comment made on a personal page, completely unrelated to work and work never mentioned anywhere in the comments.   How far and how much rule does a Code of Conduct carry that you can not make a personal comment completely away from work?

Are these insanely paid sports people ever 'away from work'... ?
-
Click to enlarge

Assembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by me, Kiwi, Evo n Farkaway Electrics

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2202 on: December 05, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »
Are these insanely paid sports people ever 'away from work'... ?

Flow on affect.  Means we are all inclusive in the same boat.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2203 on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
Main reason I would have liked to see it go to Court and get a ruling made.  Does a Code of Conduct over rule any personal thoughts you have and can not state your personal thoughts completely separate to whatever body has made the Code of Conduct and run the risk of being sacked?

Basically, yes, as long as it doesn't impinge on other laws. The issue with the Falou case is that workplace law says you can't be terminated due to your religion, no contract can overrule that. The question then is, does IF getting the sack for posting a meme that paraphrased a bible verse equate to being sacked for his religion, from what I have read the legal opinion is pretty divided on it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:55:56 AM by tryagain »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2204 on: December 05, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
I dont think so.. Im not a highly paid anything and supposed to be "someone for kids to look up to blah blah blah"... like them
-
Click to enlarge

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2205 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »
Main reason I would have liked to see it go to Court and get a ruling made.  Does a Code of Conduct over rule any personal thoughts you have and can not state your personal thoughts completely separate to whatever body has made the Code of Conduct and run the risk of being sacked?
Answer is no and that's why the out of court settlement happened. You could just about bet your house on the fact that if the ARU had a leg to stand on they would have kept going through the legal process. The complications in this case  as I see it (which I don't think would set precedent for other employers) revolve around when are these guys actually working and when aren't they. I wouldn't underestimate the influence that QANTAS had on this also
In a normal workplace you can do anything you like in your personal time as long as it isn't linked to your employer or their activities (very simplified) and this includes making personal comments about your employer, how they conduct their work etc on social media.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2206 on: December 05, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »

Our lot have sacked / Bluffed / coerced  staff into leaving for non  job related happenings ..  They love Sheeple .. No one has fought back yet ....
Even putting this here probably could put a big red circle and dot on my back . If they ever saw it .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:36:47 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2207 on: December 05, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
I dont think so.. Im not a highly paid anything and supposed to be "someone for kids to look up to blah blah blah"... like them

You might be surprised, there are plenty of cases that just aren't as high profile as this one.

Most bigger companies will have employment contracts that refer to you agreeing to abide by there social media policy.

A hypothetical might be that your companies policy states that you must not post anything that could be damaging to the company, now there is a government minister that says something that is especially dumb and you share a derogatory meme about them, your company also at the same time is hoping to win a government contract with a department the politician is a minister of and the meme you shared they view as damaging to the company. You are then summoned to HR and promptly given your marching orders due to a breach employment contract.

Are you still in favour of your employer being able to fire you based on a meme you shared on social media that wasn't directly related to them?

The following users thanked this post: McTavish

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2208 on: December 05, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
So Im guessing that Dizzy came out of the goofball spat pretty well of considering the $$$ he got from his followers and wouldnt have spent now it didnt go to court  + the settlement $$$ .

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2209 on: December 05, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
So Im guessing that Dizzy came out of the goofball spat pretty well of considering the $$$ he got from his followers and wouldnt have spent now it didnt go to court  + the settlement $$$ .

That money is being refunded less the legal costs so far.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2210 on: December 05, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »
You might be surprised, there are plenty of cases that just aren't as high profile as this one.

Most bigger companies will have employment contracts that refer to you agreeing to abide by there social media policy.

A hypothetical might be that your companies policy states that you must not post anything that could be damaging to the company, now there is a government minister that says something that is especially dumb and you share a derogatory meme about them, your company also at the same time is hoping to win a government contract with a department the politician is a minister of and the meme you shared they view as damaging to the company. You are then summoned to HR and promptly given your marching orders due to a breach employment contract.

Are you still in favour of your employer being able to fire you based on a meme you shared on social media that wasn't directly related to them?

I feel that is the bigger issue out of the whole thing.  Where is the line?  Is there a line between you as an Individual and you as an employee? 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2211 on: December 05, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
if Folau's situation happens 10 years ago, nothing happens.

everyone ignores it and moves on.

what he quoted from the bible has been quoted for hundreds of years. 

why the problem now? 

because we live in a 'woke' society, where everyone gets offended at anything.  which is ironic, because the criticising and belittling of those with religious beliefs (beliefs that have been around for thousands of years) is now suddenly seen as OK, but as soon as you say something about any other 'in-the-public-eye' minority group, you instantly become a pariah.

another ironic things is that those who got their noses out of joint about Folau's original post, probably aren't Christians and don't believe in a higher power, so what's the problem?  ignore it, just like those with religious beliefs largely ignore jibes aimed at them, and have done for years.

Raelene Castle is a joke of a sports administrator and this whole situation has highlighted it for all to see.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2212 on: December 05, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »
if Folau's situation happens 10 years ago, nothing happens.
Obviously.....
No one was on Facebook to see it.... :P

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2213 on: December 05, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
Obviously.....

you know what i mean...  ;D
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2214 on: December 05, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Zzzzzzzz!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2215 on: December 05, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
Obviously.....

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2216 on: December 05, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
Just how low can some of these big companies go   >:(
Talk about ferkin unmitigated greed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-12-05/coles-pays-norco-dairy-farmers-$5m/11768478

:o >:( :o >:(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2217 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
 Beside it being a gamble for RA to take on Israel F  in court and potentially embarrassingly loosing I think RA had commercial interests to appease. Prime in this is the inability of RA to secure a host broadcaster for their game beyond 2021.
Sponsors are running away from the game and it’s all not about bad on field and off field dramas. I think it is more Raelene Boyle is scaring anyone who sees her in the dark.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2218 on: December 05, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2219 on: December 06, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
Holy crap!!! How quick was that?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2220 on: December 06, 2019, 07:15:36 AM »

But carrying on from that idea, can't every footballer who's been sacked because he got done DUI over the weekend / got into a blue in a nightclub / was found doing drugs in Bali & so on, all claim compo "because I was on holidays so it had nothing to do with my job at the time" ???
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2221 on: December 06, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
Well that escalated quickly https://www.facebook.com/686411934810836/videos/1027116167639351/

Old Pete Coleman would have made sure his boys were safe
Mr Bean would have been back at Heathcote lookin on sayin someone save the truck LOL

Impressive photo
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-could-smell-the-hair-on-my-face-cooking-at-the-scene-of-the-blow-up-20191206-p53hf8.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:35:34 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2222 on: December 06, 2019, 09:03:38 AM »
Sad.. Saw him many times in Sydney as a kid. never really realised how fast these blokes were until got in the nets once with len pascoe :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPw_Ztlm_Q

Former England cricket captain and 1981 Ashes hero Bob Willis has died aged 70 after an illness, his family said in a statement.

The fast-bowler played in 90 Tests and 64 one-day internationals for England over more than a decade after his debut in 1971, retiring in 1984.
Bob Willis, has died at the age of 70, his family has announced.

Bob Willis, has died at the age of 70, his family has announced.Credit:Getty Images

Willis' family, who revealed he had died "after a long illness", said in a statement: "We are heartbroken to lose our beloved Bob, who was an incredible husband, father, brother and grandfather.

"He made a huge impact on everybody he knew and we will miss him terribly.
"Bob is survived by his wife Lauren, daughter Katie, brother David and sister Ann.

The family asked for donations to be made to Prostate Cancer UK in lieu of flowers.

Willis, who finished his Test career with 325 wickets despite bowling with pain from 1975 after surgery on both knees, worked for Sky Sports as a cricket expert after his retirement.

He remains fourth on the all-time list of England wicket takers after Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Ian Botham. Willis's aggressive performance in the 1981 Ashes series against Australia, where he took eight wickets for 43 runs in the third Test at Headingley, became part of cricket lore along with Botham's match-saving batting. His former teammate Geoffrey Boycott said: "None of us needed to speak to him. There was no point anyway as his focus, emotion and passion all came together in that moment and he blew the Aussies away."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/former-england-cricket-captain-bob-willis-dead-at-70-20191205-p53gzu.html

-
Click to enlarge

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2223 on: December 06, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
But carrying on from that idea, can't every footballer who's been sacked because he got done DUI over the weekend / got into a blue in a nightclub / was found doing drugs in Bali & so on, all claim compo "because I was on holidays so it had nothing to do with my job at the time" ???

I think the big difference there is legality, and that is where I probably draw the line. The hypothetical players actions were illegal so I have no real issue with them being disciplined.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2224 on: December 06, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
Old Pete Coleman would have made sure his boys were safe
Mr Bean would have been back at Heathcote lookin on sayin someone save the truck LOL

Impressive photo
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-could-smell-the-hair-on-my-face-cooking-at-the-scene-of-the-blow-up-20191206-p53hf8.html

GASIFACATION  at its worst  then  the flash burn .... Wouldnt have liked to be anywhere near that at all ...