Author Topic: Whats making news - 2019 edition  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 02:05:40 PM »
Two ways to look at everything.

1. If the idiots didn't take/swallow/inject/smoke drugs, the need to make and sell wouldn't be there.
2. If the cooks/suppliers/drug dealers weren't there, the idiots would have nothing to take/swallow blah blah.

I never smoked or took drugs as a young guy, as it was money I wanted to spend on my cars.
I guess i'm an addict too, one way or another... still playing in the sixties.

I didn't even drink all that often for the same reason, but every once and while, holy Shit, we'd have a bender.
For maybe 20 years, couldn't stand the smell of rum after one silly night.

I'd like to think, while the average young person these days is a bit smarter than you or I was/were, I reckon I/we was more street savvy and smarter in other ways.
These days, if one young person wore a potted rose bush on their head, all the others would follow.
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the vitriol cast upon those that have used illicit pills and paid the ultimate price, wether they are under 18 or not makes no difference. They have made an ill considered decision and sadly the purveyors of these insidious drugs have gotten away with it.
Maybe our anger should be towards the manufactures and pushers of these pills rather than the casualty.

Hey Pottsy,

I don't disagree with you but it somewhat falls back to supply and demand for me. If the demand isn't there the supply will dry up. My anger is with the manufacturers, my frustration is with the users.

There was wide spread knowledge that particular pills were causing problems (I think they are called Orange Redbulls), however these guys were still taking them. At some point personal responsibility has to come into the discussion, unless someone held you down and forced a pill down your throat you had a choice, and you chose a known high risk path. The organisers of the festival actually had signs up all over the place "Don't take the orange pills".
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the vitriol cast upon those that have used illicit pills and paid the ultimate price, wether they are under 18 or not makes no difference. They have made an ill considered decision and sadly the purveyors of these insidious drugs have gotten away with it.
Maybe our anger should be towards the manufactures and pushers of these pills rather than the casualty.

Problem number one.  All dealers, suppliers, trafficers know how our Magistrates and Judgers are weak as and are there for the criminal and don't give a toss for the victims.  Major problem.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:17 PM »
Hey Pottsy,

I don't disagree with you but it somewhat falls back to supply and demand for me. If the demand isn't there the supply will dry up. My anger is with the manufacturers, my frustration is with the users.

There was wide spread knowledge that particular pills were causing problems (I think they are called Orange Redbulls), however these guys were still taking them. At some point personal responsibility has to come into the discussion, unless someone held you down and forced a pill down your throat you had a choice, and you chose a known high risk path. The organisers of the festival actually had signs up all over the place "Don't take the orange pills".

Yep, I don't disagree with the personal responsibility bit, same could be said for skydivers, rock climbers, drink and drug drivers, base jumpers etc. still like to think some empathy can be shown for the casualties and their families.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Quote from: Pottsy

Personally I'd like to see those caught selling the pills forced to take the lot they are caught with all at once... saves a lot of money long term.

But its not like nobody knows this Shit can be deadly...
Maybe the people running these events should lower the price of the piss so people can have a good time - I like the suggestion by someone for a limit on how many drinks you can have. We had that at an event on Cronulla sharks field in the 80s with live bands and Shit - was awesome.. everyone had a few drinks and good times were had by all.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
We had two in one week involving members of my family assisting.

Hey Bunyip, good on your kids :cup:
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
Hey Bunyip, good on your kids :cup:

Cheers, both have their heads screwed on almost right :)

I am now going to put all my kids through some basic first aid training just to make sure.

2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
Wouldn't have happened in our day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFongNGuQM
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.
The following users thanked this post: brickiematt, tryagain

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »
Cheers, both have their heads screwed on almost right :)

And the experience will hopefully reinforce the choices they have made, and the guidance you have given. Their a precious gift our kids, but we cant make their decisions for them. The best it was descibed to me was this.
they are like a coil spring held tight in your hand. You will eventually have to release it. Too quickly and it will take off in an irratic direction. Gently let them go bit by bit and hopefully they will be steady on their own when the time is right.

But even then some kids make mistakes, dispite a parents best effort. The peer pressure today is horrendous.
All these (insert what ever your view point is) kids that have died from taking a pill are someones child, that made the biggest mistake of their lives, literally. Hopefully none of us will get that call.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
Well said Glen, couldnt agree more. Like the spring explanation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
WHEN POLITICS ONCE AGAIN HAS THE PUBLIC AS SUCKERS....

An investigation into the widespread faking of roadside breath tests by Victoria Police officers has found the practice was driven by "meaningless" targets that were at odds with the force's own road safety strategy.
Key points:

New recruits were taught how to fake breath tests, the report found
    Officers were told to meet a target where 99.5 per cent of roadside breath tests would come back negative   WTF???????
    That target set by Victoria Police has "no reasonable or scientific basis", the report said

An internal police investigation revealed in May last year that more than 258,000 breath tests were estimated to have been falsified by officers in order to return negative readings.

Officers were either placing a finger over the straw entry hole of breath testing equipment, or blowing into the straw themselves.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) suspended $4 million of road safety funding in response to the issue, which prompted police to order an independent investigation.
New recruits taught to fake tests

That investigation, run by former chief commissioner Neil Comrie, has found that the practice of faking preliminary breath tests (PBTs) was an "ethical failure" and had been a long-running practice in the force.

An executive summary of Mr Comrie's report released by Victoria Police today said the practice was "widespread, impacting all regions and road policing operations and of longstanding duration".

"It has been a common experience for new recruits to be inducted into the practice early in their careers through instruction from more experienced members," the report said.

However, the report found the "root cause" of the practice was the force management's imposition of a target which stated that 99.5 per cent of all PBTs would return readings that showed drivers were not in excess of the legal alcohol limit.

The target, which was set in the Victoria Police budget, was regarded as "meaningless and unachievable" by many officers and had "no reasonable or scientific basis", according to the report.
Problem may extend beyond Victoria

It said many officers felt that the targets were at odds with their role in keeping the community safe as they were effectively being "instructed to avoid detecting impaired drivers".

The report also said that while it was initially estimated that 258,000 tests were faked, there was "no credible means" of accurately quantifying the number.

"It is probable that the number of these false tests may be significantly less than the initial estimation of 258,509," the report said.

The report said the targets were also not "in accordance" with Victoria Police's own road safety strategy and recommended a revision of the way TAC funds were used.

The investigation also found that fake breath testing is a problem "not confined to Victoria alone" and that similar incentives could be affecting the integrity of drug testing.

The report made 23 recommendations, all of which have been accepted by Victoria Police

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
It does make you wander how they determined 258000 breath tests have been falsified and in the manner nominated. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
It does make you wander how they determined 258000 breath tests have been falsified and in the manner nominated.

Comrie, historically, has been known to falsify information to suit his own agenda.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »
Not that long ago in Qld each police district had to perform a certain number of breath tests each shift to reach a yearly total. That total being the number of licensed holders living in that district. Hard to reach if they had a busy shift of even harder if a breath test was positive. Crazy hey. But if you had to reach a certain target where would you go to conduct these tests?  A street where you might find drink drivers and not able to reach your target?  Or......   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
Fresh water eh..

Residents in a town north of Melbourne are buying up bottled water, because the water from their taps has turned brown.

The township of Avenel is sweltering through one of its hottest and driest Januaries on record, but its water supply has been contaminated.

Although residents have been assured the murky, brown water is safe to drink, residents including Leigh Eeles are now relying on bottled water.

“The water quality isn’t what we expected,” Mr Eeles said.

“It was similar to what river water looks like … Goulburn Valley Water said it’s fine, it won’t cause you any issues to drink it or shower in it, but we’re not drinking the water. We’ve got bottled water instead.”

In the middle of this month's heatwave, the water storage tanks at the nearby Seymour Water Treatment Plant failed.

As a result, authorities are diverting Avenel's water supply through a smaller, alternative pipe, while they work to fix the tanks.

"The increased demand along the service main has resulted in principally iron and manganese deposits being dislodged from inside of the pipe and being stirred up in the bottom of the low level Avenel storage, resulting in short term, minor discolouration of the supply in the reticulation system," Goulburn Valley Water quality manager Mark Putman said.

The murkiness of the water was exacerbated by an increased demand because of the heatwave, he said.

As a result, residents have been asked to restrict their water usage to "essential indoor" services.

A Water Department spokesman said the government was aware the water at Avenel was discoloured, but assured residents it was safe to drink.

“Victorians can have confidence that their water supply is properly managed and safe to drink,” the spokesman said.

“If customers have any concerns or questions about their water supply they should contact the relevant water authority.”

Avenel is a small town in central Victoria, 130 kilometres from Melbourne, with a population of 1000 people.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/residents-of-victorian-town-buying-bottled-water-after-taps-run-brown-20190117-p50rzl.html
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:34 PM »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline duncan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29:55 AM »
After lifting a freezer on my own back in Sept, I've had a dicky back on and off ever since.

However, at no stage, did it occur to me to spank the monkey until I had a hand full of goop.
Then inject it into my arm to fix my Shitty back.

Maybe I need to think outside the square a bit more.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
After lifting a freezer on my own back in Sept, I've had a dicky back on and off ever since.

However, at no stage, did it occur to me to spank the monkey until I had a hand full of goop.
Then inject it into my arm to fix my Shitty back.

Maybe I need to think outside the square a bit more.

Dr Jeeepers Creepers Meat Injection, fixes whatever ails you!  :D ;D ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I'll betcha..... that guy has got his own arm up the duff.

Swelling, the heaves will come next and then he'll give birth to little baby arm.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
Lets see which would be more likely .   As its the lead up to mating season in a month or so ...  Kid runs at a few Dingo's,  younger dogs think theyre being played with and bite in play  .....   alpha dog reacts to being rushed at / attacked ....    Adult Dingo is protective towards younger pups and defends ?  or  Savage unprovoked  premeditated  lets take out this human type attack .
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-19/dingo-bites-child-on-fraser-island/10729680
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:31:40 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'97 300TDi Disco1
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'02 Goldie Wing 1

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
To bounce off the road like that, then take a tree out, that rock must have fallen one hell of a long way! :o
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
To bounce off the road like that, then take a tree out, that rock must have fallen one hell of a long way! :o
Bloody oath it has, sheeeesh.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)