Author Topic: Whats making news - 2019 edition  (Read 62929 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
This could be bad for stocks

China confirms ban of Australian coal imports
February 22, 2019 — 8.50am
Beijing: Customs at China's northern port of Dalian has banned imports of Australian coal and will cap overall coal imports from all sources for 2019 at 12 million tonnes, an official at Dalian Port Group has told Reuters.

The indefinite ban on imports from top supplier Australia, effective since the start of February, comes as major ports elsewhere in China prolong clearing times for Australian coal to at least 40 days.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/china-confirms-ban-of-australian-coal-imports-20190222-p50zhw.html

Pure politics Bird.   We will see a lot of this behaviour in the future..especially if countries try to look after themselves more...

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
Pure politics

Genuine question here, not over this topic all that much.

Is this China saying to Australia don't be boofheads like your friend the USA because we can hurt you more than we can them?

2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »

Is this China saying to Australia don't be boofheads like your friend the USA because we can hurt you more than we can them?
Probably more the fact that Huawei didn’t  get the 5G contract. Bit of payback perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2019, 01:11:02 PM »

I feel we have backed ourselves into a nasty corner.. as Jusy says - the Hooweee thing could be part of it, but it does show our reliance on just about one thing "COAL".
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »

As far as I heard it's not an official decision, it was Reuters following up the long delays experienced by Australian coal ships. Then making deductions. (am I right?)

Sending messages without losing "face" is a Chinese speciality.  There have been a number of issues between Australia and China as we follow the US lead.  Maybe they are saying that we need them more than they need us?  They may be right.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
I feel we have backed ourselves into a nasty corner.. as Jusy says - the Hooweee thing could be part of it, but it does show our reliance on just about one thing "COAL".

The rest of the world looks at us as the worlds quarry.  Whatever we have we let foreign owned companies dig it up, process it and sell back to us at a huge profit. Or else we just rip up as much as we can, without giving a f*#@ for future generations.

Ever tried to buy land in China?   Vast majority of countries wont allow foreign ownership but our pollies are so corrupt that they,d sell their first born for a dollar.

China is looking after China......pity we wont apply the same policy to Australia..

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
The reality is their economy probably isn’t as strong as they’d like the outside world to think and they may possibly have huge stockpiles sitting around.  Much easier to make it appear like an unofficial protest than admit the truth.

They are becoming a bit of a worry though - just look at their position in the South China Sea. Even when the world courts rule against them, they just give the rest of the world the big finger. Their expansionist aspirations are a little too much like the Japanese in the 1930’s for my liking. That said they are a long way off being a real threat - the US still has the biggest military might by a long way and the Chinese aren’t actually stupid enough to pick a real fight.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
The reality is their economy probably isn’t as strong as they’d like the outside world to think and they may possibly have huge stockpiles sitting around.  Much easier to make it appear like an unofficial protest than admit the truth.

They are becoming a bit of a worry though - just look at their position in the South China Sea. Even when the world courts rule against them, they just give the rest of the world the big finger. Their expansionist aspirations are a little too much like the Japanese in the 1930’s for my liking. That said they are a long way off being a real threat - the US still has the biggest military might by a long way and the Chinese aren’t actually stupid enough to pick a real fight.

They seem to use the idea of just slowly doing things that might annoy other countries and avoid retaliation. I think Trump and his tariffs might have come as a bit of a surprise though and is hurting their economy.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »
The Chinese economy is a bit of a mess; they rely heavily on the size of their population to give them:
1) Cheap semi-skilled labour that doesn't argue
2) A growing middle class of skilled and professional labour
3) Sheer population growth to drive the consumer market and demand growth.
4) Protected and barriered entry to the market (when it suits)

Whilst they do want to trade, there are times when it is advantageous for them to do so and there are times when there aren't. Things like the importing of raw resources means they can then process them domestically at a low cost (keeping the workforce "happy" by giving them jobs) rather than processing them in Australia. Other times, if the economy is running a bit slow or something is building up domestically, then they'll block it or stop it - see the current coal issue.

Most importantly, the effect of this coal problem, is that the Aussie dollar has been weakened. Now one cynical view is that the $ had gone up a bit, and that this little spat is a nice bit of Chinese currency manipulation that brings it back into their favour (ie not as expensive to buy coal or other Australian products) - they're less worried about the higher costs for Australian imports of Chinese products. A strong $ would give lower prices... partly why the Domestic car manufacturers went to Shit - at the current rate it makes it cheaper to import than to produce domestically - I reckon the $ would have to drop about 50% of it's value to get close to that level again.

Trump and his tariffs aren't going to make much difference; all that's happened in some of the industries is that the domestic producers have increased their prices to the same as the Chinese + Tariff price... basic ECON101/102 (Microeconomics/Macroeconomics) theory that's been around for ever. If you can charge a higher price for the same product you will - and if the cheaper Chinese product is now more than your product, then you may as well charge the same or more... I've not seen anything saying that the demand for Chinese goods in the States has particulary slowed, but one of them that has certainly slowed is Apple's iPhone - they've got the issue that the price has gone sky high, and that the innovation in it is not ground breaking (none of which has anything to do with the Chinese manufacturing, more Apple's complacency).

Disagreements with organisations like Huawei about the infrastructure is a challenge; the lack of (decent) investment in R&D, science that is relevant to Australia and owned by Australia is one of the challenges that would/could prevent this problem; we know that the Australian science system can put out clever things (CSIRO and WiFi for example), but the ability to repeatedly do this is limited in part because of how R&D and invention is managed in Australia; there's just too many organisations involved that are working on short term projects with no long term strategy.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
Nah, coal is so 2018.
There’s still another couple of litres of water that we can pump out of our dead rivers to grow a few more cotton balls and save our economy.... :P

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »
Nah, coal is so 2018.
There’s still another couple of litres of water that we can pump out of our dead rivers to grow a few more cotton balls and save our economy.... :P

I have jumped on the cotton bashing wagon in the past, a little bit more looking into it has made me realise it's more nuanced than the headlines would have you believe.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »
I have jumped on the cotton bashing wagon in the past, a little bit more looking into it has made me realise it's more nuanced than the headlines would have you believe.
By that do you mean the volume of water they pump and their effect on the environment is so small, or that the industry in general has no great impact on our economy and it wouldn’t matter if the environmental water flows that us tax payers funded are no longer given to these farmers in the sweetheart deals and the plan that was put in place to help these vital river systems actually helped the rivers instead of a helping increase the profits of a few select wealthy political donors?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »
Interesting...

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/walkinshaw-takes-control-of-new-age-117100/

more HP and sports suspension?

The family (the Smiths) that own Swift caravans in the UK are keen motorsport people as well; one of them (Guy) raced in Formula Ford quite successfully in the 1990's, and also at Le Mans 24hrs.

Strange how it crosses over sometimes...

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
By that do you mean the volume of water they pump and their effect on the environment is so small, or that the industry in general has no great impact on our economy and it wouldn’t matter if the environmental water flows that us tax payers funded are no longer given to these farmers in the sweetheart deals and the plan that was put in place to help these vital river systems actually helped the rivers instead of a helping increase the profits of a few select wealthy political donors?

More that cotton is actually less water-intensive than a lot of other things farmers grow instead of it, we produce some of the best cotton at the lowest water usage in the world and it's water requirements have been substantially reduced in recent times.

This isn't exhaustive but might give a bit of an overview, I find that if I am ever in agreement with Sarah Hansen-Young then I should probably have a good hard look at myself, or at least the topic at hand. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-03/the-blame-game:-a-social-media-backlash-targeting/10787030

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Landline has an interesting piece the other week on some of the NSW cotton growers and showing thier lack of crops / no water, yet being blamed for lack of water further downstream. For me it would have been more interesting piece if they'd gone further up into Qld to see how places such as Cubby Station are currently also, even though you could see the NSW growers had it just as bad as others on the land currently, felt like it was only half the story being told.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
’Anomaly' lets farmer use environmental water for cotton crop.

One stakeholder, who declined to be named, said he "sat here in shock" when the letter from the water department arrived. "It was like a gift from heaven."

The change effectively gave permission for the licence holders to extract environmental water flows even though they had been paid for by taxpayers in both NSW and the Commonwealth.

Enabled by the new rules, Michael Egan, owner of the Kiameron farm near the eastern side of the marches, alerted agencies of his plans to pump environmental flows even as the drought across the region intensified.

Between September 9 and October 5 last year, the farm extracted about 600 million litres of a 10 billion-litre flow headed for the marshes, assisting the irrigation of his cotton crop.

"When it's in an unregulated part of the system, [the agencies] lose control of the water," Mr Egan told the Herald. "I'm just running with the rules."

The Commonwealth Environmental Water Office said "most of the flow was protected from pumping by licence conditions". Still, the agency was continuing to work with NSW agencies "to address anomalies in the licencing framework and improve the protection of environmental flows".

‘Anomalies'
A former water compliance officer said, "That's not an anomaly; that's maladministration. How do you get environmental water to grow a cotton crop?"

Emma Carmody, a senior solicitor with the NSW Environmental Defenders Office (EDO), said, "It defies logic for the government to purchase water to restore the health of the Murray-Darling Basin and then allow it to be pumped for private gain."

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/sustainability/anomaly-lets-farmer-use-environmental-water-for-cotton-crop-20190215-p50y3a.html

Can’t really blame the farmers for playing the hand they’ve been dealt with this one.
If the government sent me a letter and said I could drive as fast as I liked on all of the highways around the country I’d sure as hell take them up on the offer..... Regardless if it’s the right thing to do or not....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:12:21 PM by Pete79 »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »
Can’t really blame the farmers for playing the hand they’ve been dealt with this one.
If the government sent me a letter and said I could drive as fast as I liked on all of the highways around the country I’d sure as hell take them up on the offer..... Regardless if it’s the right thing to do or not....

To be honest, that farmer sounds like a tool. It's one thing to exploit a Gov error, it's another to consider legal action if/when they fix it. My understanding is that the Gov bought back the over allocation of the pumping rights so to allow environmental flows to happen, if there is more than that then the irrigators can buy some of the excess.

The issue at the moment isn't so much that the cotton farmers are taking to much water, it's that the drought has meant that there isn't any flow environmental flow, let alone an excess that can be used for farming.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
Should probably add that I think that any farms caught stealing water should have there water rights stripped and returned to natural flow and their dam's drained and blown up.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Holden to become the next GIC and go after the social media "keyboard warriors"...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/729217/holden-officially-slams-takeover-talk-but-concedes-its-now-a-challenger-brand/

Last month the Hilux almost outsold Holdens entire lineup.  Maybe they should focus their energy on not rebadging junk.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Whats making news - 2019 edition
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
Holden to become the next GIC and go after the social media "keyboard warriors"...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/729217/holden-officially-slams-takeover-talk-but-concedes-its-now-a-challenger-brand/

Last month the Hilux almost outsold Holdens entire lineup.  Maybe they should focus their energy on not rebadging junk.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah nothing says fighting back like sticking a HSV badge on a diesel dual cab ute and expecting people to fork out $76k for a $55k vehicle with some stickers, a bonnet scope and new brakes.....

Yay Holden.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:53:41 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »
Yeah nothing says fighting back like sticking a HSV badge on a diesel dual cab ute and expecting people to fork out $76k for a $55k vehicle with some stickers, a bonnet scope and new brakes.....

Yay Holden.....

thing is they all do it "50,000 worth of accessories - FREE!' if you buy this week... when those accessories add up to about $50
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2019, 04:10:38 PM »
Any bets on a sentence for these scrotes?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/childcare-worker-bailed-after-allegedly-punching-cop-in-st-kilda-brawl-20190225-p5104s.html

I'd say 1 week TOPS and then therapy for being put in jail.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
Just terrible. I hope they throw the book at them. I think the bloke who seriously injured the policeman will get serious time. I wonder why the police didn't use capsicum spray.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Chinese camper trailer with even more dings (now sold).

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
I'd say 1 week TOPS and then therapy for being put in jail.

and that will probably be suspended cause their teacher used a red pen, or some bull$#!t excuse
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Complete Campsite Exodus 16.