Author Topic: On the search for an Ideal, light touring tent  (Read 1024 times)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Re: On the search for an Ideal, light touring tent
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 07:44:17 PM »
I pack my fly separately to make life easier getting it into the bag. takes about 20 seconds to refit.

Same...
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »
Yep, the 240 lite packs up easily with the fly attached but the 300 is not so easy , i find it quicker to take the fly off. Its mainly because of the telescoping ridge poles

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Same.
Fly separated from tent and each panel folded back into their little bags.

Offline GU Duke

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »
Springbar!  OK, so ours isn't light, but bear with me - there is a lighter knock off version now available.

We bought our Springbar in USA 13yrs ago.  Its had a heap of use since and is still like new.  It's an American take on the 'touring tent', but with the roof stretched out by 'spring' bars (hence the name) then 2 upright side poles, it has much more vertical walls, and at 6'2", I can stand up straight in about 80% of it's 10' x 10' floorspace. It takes a couple of minutes longer to set up than a 1 pole tourer (a few more pegs and a couple more poles), but I can do it by myself in about 7mins and my wife and I together in about 5mins; which is why I think it is pretty close to the ideal touring tent.

Its been made out of the same family factory in Salt Lake City since the 60s or 70s and the design has hardly changed in that time.  Apparently Springbars have been taken to Everest Base Camp as HQ tents - I believe it - ours has been through hail storms, gale force winds and flood events with no leaks and no damage.

The genuine Springbar is bulky, heavy, and about the same price as a heavy duty Aussie made canvas 1 pole tourer.  Think a 25-30kg bag of canvas and pegs about the size of an Esky, plus about a 10kg pole bag that only fits in a Patrol boot corner to corner.  Because of how long it has been around though, the design patents have expired and the knock offs are appearing.  Kodiak Canvas made one (also canvas) and I've seen a couple of lighter, more compact poly / nylon versions - I think Coleman may have been one of the brands.

Attached pics were taken today - it is being used as a kids room next to the Complete Campsite Fraser for a couple of weeks.  You can see the awning rolled up - this comes out approx 2.0-2.5m squared and also has a mozzie net that clips over it. There are also a no of other accessories avail - internal wall hanging gear storage systems, internal clotheslines etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:40:45 PM by GU Duke »

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Swag User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »
Nice one GU !  I did not know the origin of this design. 

OZtrail have had it in their range for some time now too, they call it the Grand Tourer Tent.  It can be seen here:

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztrail-grand-tourer-tent
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
We have a Oztrail Tourer tent 10. Had it for over 10 years now.
We did the cape in it and a lot of weekends when the kids were young.
Yes it is bulky but easy to put up. We haven't used it in awhile as we now have the camper.
But I highly recommend this tent if you want a quick solid tent that will last along time.

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 06:38:30 AM »
Thanks all, I can't find anything that meets all my wish list. The Oztrail tourer 9 looks closest. I'm going to keep looking given I already have a few tents to see me through. Any other suggestions are welcome.