Author Topic: Flinders Ranges Tips  (Read 585 times)

Offline jayray377

• Learning the Ropes
Flinders Ranges Tips
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
Hi all,

Am thinking about the Flinders Ranges over the Vic school holidays.

My thoughts are we could load the kids in the car at 6pm and punch out the drive from Melbourne overnight.

That should give us at least 5 days there.

I would love to hear tips from people who have been especially with kids.

We have a camper trailer that is good for a week off grid but are also considering Willow Springs and the Skytrek.

Thanks
Joel
99 TD5 Discovery, Aussie Camper Trailers - Flinders (2017)

Offline ozzy

• Tent User
Re: Flinders Ranges Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:24:51 AM »
Should be nice this time of year, we are up there in about 5-6 weeks time too.

There's a few good camping areas in the park, bush camping can be had on both Bunyeroo and Brachina gorge, very scenic and plenty of wildlife. There might be some water in Bunyeroo and Brachina, which makes for a great drive.

Powered sites at both Wilpena resort and Rawnsley Park are great if you want a few more home comforts, both have a Restaurant, bar and small store for anything extra that is needed. There are also some of the best short/long walks around or up the Pound from these two... of course, bush camping can also be had at both locations.

There are several properties to go 4WDing up in the Flinders, all attract a fee. I have done quite a few of them but I'll leave it up to you on which ones you choose... none are really taxing to be honest but that might also depend on what time of year you go them and if the track is chopped up or freshly worked on.
You also may want to consider a day trip to Arkaroola or stay a night up there, they have a self drive track called the Echo Camp Back track, reckon it was $30-40 per vehicle and was worth the trip.
2018 200 GXL & 2018 Journey Outback
The following users thanked this post: jayray377

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:43 AM »
We spent time at Rawnsley Park at the start of August.  Great facilities and in close enough proximity to the sights around the area..
if you are considering travelling overnight watch out for the wildlife (Roos and Euros)on the roads .... we saw many from Northern Victoria right through to Rawnsley and the closer we got the more there were.  Also if travelling via Mildura remember that there is a Quantine Checkpoint to pass through, and the inspectors do check, so you won't be able to take all your fruit and veg from home.  We had a night at Peterborough so that supplies could be purchased early in the day and we then  had an easy couple of hours run to the Flinders.  Peterborough really is the last large supermarket on the Mildura route as Hawker has a bit of a general store but prices are higher and range of goods isn't great.
 Have a great time.
Desert Lover
The following users thanked this post: jayray377

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »
Pity you can't wait a few more months: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?board=67.0

Let me know if you need any more information on anything.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
We were in the Flinders 3 days ago.

The biggest tip I can give is that you have to book your sites in the Park, on the Web, before you get there, as there is no coverage once in the park. We booked our site while in Boulia, about a week before we arrived in the Flinders. We chose Aroona Ruins campground for a couple of days, and upon arrival we see someone just starting to set up on our site. Had a conversation with them and found they had not booked. They decided to move, and they weren't happy about it, claiming how are you supposed to do it without coverage. I replied that I managed. I hate this system as it gives you no flexibility in your travel plans, but at least you know you are supposed to have a specific site waiting. I also fell for it in Qld.

I would really recommend you have a look at the site https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Home, and be aware that you are supposed to have a Parks Pass these days (all new to us). We didn't see a Ranger at all. This will give you some idea if there are any sites still available.

The previous time we were there it was a long weekend in SA and people were camping everywhere, not just in campgrounds, but I don't understand how that works.

I would certainly recommend Aroona as a good campsite, it even has water on tap, although we used next to none. Great views from the site, and a few great walks.

Second the danger of roos, and particularly emus, if travelling overnight, and even during the day. We had several very near misses in broad daylight with the walking feather dusters.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
Quote from: Traveller
I hate this system as it gives you no flexibility in your travel plans, but at least you know you are supposed to have a specific site waiting.

It truly is a backwards step..  Wonder how many punchups there have been over it...
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »

It truly is a backwards step..  Wonder how many punchups there have been over it...

Bl**dy heaps I reckon. The part that gets at you is that there is no way you can do anything if the 'intruder' refuses to move, and I would love to know if it is ever policed.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
Bl**dy heaps I reckon. The part that gets at you is that there is no way you can do anything if the 'intruder' refuses to move, and I would love to know if it is ever policed.
all they would have to do is skull 4 beers and they are now over the limit, no longer able to drive or move on.... and the ranger on $2.00 an hr isnt going to risk his life for you... .and you cant move to another site as someone else has that booked...
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
And be careful with some of the software doing the rounds.

Tripigy for example still shows references to self registration stations that no longer exist, Aroona Ruins is one, Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges is another example.
Wikicamps seems to be more up to date, the above being examples.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:55:00 PM by monbeg »

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just confused!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

We have a camper trailer that is good for a week off grid but are also considering Willow Springs and the Skytrek.

Thanks
Joel
Willow Springs has off grid sites available but also has a camp kitchen and showers etc at the homestead. Highly recommended. Camping in the Pound is expensive .
100 Series Land Cruiser FZJ105, Lifted 2", Headers, 2.5inch exhaust, Winch, duel batteries, draw system and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v, battery and charger, solar, modded draw bar and much more.

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »

Angorichina Tourist Village is worthwhile checking out as well, if you want a base for day trips in the central parts of the Ranges

http://www.angorichinavillage.com.au/

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »
Willow Springs has off grid sites available but also has a camp kitchen and showers etc at the homestead. Highly recommended. Camping in the Pound is expensive .

I will second Willow Springs having camped there twice over the past year. I have camped in most of the gorges, Rawnsley and Wilpena many, many times over the decades I think Willow Springs is the best.

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
A trip from a couple of years ago

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=32457.0

GG

Offline jayray377

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, as always a great help!

I’ll start roughing out our journey at work today

Offline jayray377

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »
A trip from a couple of years ago

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=32457.0

GG

Great report Garrick. Some fantastic detail and pictures!!

Thanks for sharing.

Joel

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
The biggest tip I can suggest is dont try and do too much in one trip... theres months worth of exploring in the ranges...
pick an area and get a taste for it
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
If you have the time or the weather is inclement.... and whether you are 'arty' or not, it's worthwhile to visit the Jeff Morgan Gallery in Hawker.  His panoramas of the Flinders Ranges and Arkaroola are astounding.  We visited two years ago and watched as he worked on the big round panorama then went back this year to see it completed...OMG - what a talent.  In fact hard to tell if it is painted or a photograph in some cases.  He also has begun to add a collection of rocks/minerals which is incredible if you are at all into the geology of the area.
Desert Lover