Author Topic: Whats making news in 2018 edition  (Read 41841 times)

freewheeling and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Whats making news in 2018 edition
« Reply #950 on: July 12, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
ATO will be cracking down on dodgy tax claims.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/8-billion-in-income-tax-lost-each-year-tax-office-concedes-20180711-p4zqsg.html

Each year up to $8.7 billion in income tax is estimated to be wrongly claimed or lost because income has not been declared, an ATO briefing with Fairfax Media has revealed. Of that sum, only $500 million each year has ever been successfully recouped.

The transition to a fully digitised system will only increase compliance by an extra $250 million a year over the next four years, the Tax Office estimates.

Australia has a relatively high success rate of collecting income tax revenue by global standards, netting 93 per cent of the total revenue it estimates it should receive from Australia taxpayers.

However, the ATO wants to increase that further by targeting work expenses, cash payments in the black economy and property claims as millions of workers lodge their tax returns this month.

The Tax Office is now narrowing its focus on a group of unscrupulous tax agents that could face disqualification or prosecution in the most serious cases of tax avoidance.

Bad news for all the dodgy "cash in hand" economy cheats and property owners who rort the system, but good news most of us.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #951 on: July 12, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Quote from: Troopy_03
ATO will be cracking down on dodgy tax claims.
again?? which minority this time - or which big corporations will be ignored this year??
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #952 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
If they want to double triple the tax they collect, just start taxing religious organisations.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #953 on: July 12, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Quote from: Kangaron
If they want to double triple the tax they collect, just start taxing religious organisations.
we'd be miles in front! Education, hospitals, roads, trains.. my god, what are you saying ronny!
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #954 on: July 12, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
we'd be miles in front! Education, hospitals, roads, trains.. my god, what are you saying ronny!

and also miles behind (in some cases) because a lot (not all) provide critical volunteer services and help for the community, with the assistance that being tax free allows...

don't get me wrong, religious institutions are certainly not perfect (just like plenty of other organisations), but the 'tax the churches' calls very rarely acknowledge the importance and the volume of charity and volunteer work that gets done by those organisations...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #955 on: July 12, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »
Quote from: paceman
and also miles behind (in some cases) because a lot (not all) provide critical volunteer services and help for the community, with the assistance that being tax free allows...
sorry but thats rubbish. The chuch has more money that it sits on and does **** all with than any of us can dream of. teh whole church this is a fools paradise.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #956 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »
sorry but thats rubbish. The chuch has more money that it sits on and does **** all with than any of us can dream of. teh whole church this is a fools paradise.

please don't equate the catholic church with other churches... this is a huge misconception about 'churches' and all the money they have.

yes, the catholic church has plenty of money, of that there is no doubt, but most (if not all) other denominations (christian, at least, can't comment on other beliefs), have very little spare cash. 

their money comes from donations from members, by and large.

quite happy to show you the books of our local church and our associated volunteer foundation to show exactly how much money we don't have.

as for the work that religious institutions supposedly don't do?  happy to show you the work that my local church does.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #957 on: July 12, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »
The whole "Tax the church" argument shows a pretty big lack of understanding of how things work, tax in Australia is paid on profit, Churches, like Universities, Surf lifesaving clubs, 4x4 clubs etc don't actually make a profit.

So what are you proposing they tax?

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #958 on: July 12, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
please don't equate the catholic church with other churches... this is a huge misconception about 'churches' and all the money they have.

yes, the catholic church has plenty of money, of that there is no doubt, but most (if not all) other denominations (christian, at least, can't comment on other beliefs), have very little spare cash. 

their money comes from donations from members, by and large.

quite happy to show you the books of our local church and our associated volunteer foundation to show exactly how much money we don't have.

as for the work that religious institutions supposedly don't do?  happy to show you the work that my local church does.

I've got a feeling they're like farmers - often asset rich, but cash poor... they also have the ability to divest some of their portfolio if they chose to, and ultimately will have to do so as the numbers who attend church regularly continue to fall.

The whole "Tax the church" argument shows a pretty big lack of understanding of how things work, tax in Australia is paid on profit, Churches, like Universities, Surf lifesaving clubs, 4x4 clubs etc don't actually make a profit.

So what are you proposing they tax?

Perhaps the other way is to remove their tax free status as a charity; they are as business like as many other organisations, and therefore people no longer being able to claim back their donations on their tax could be one way to go.
1992 Toyota 4Runner VZN130 (3.slo V6):

1996 Kanga Camping trailer: Build in progress

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #959 on: July 12, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
I've got a feeling they're like farmers - often asset rich, but cash poor... they also have the ability to divest some of their portfolio if they chose to, and ultimately will have to do so as the numbers who attend church regularly continue to fall.

this can/may apply to those denominations that have multiple communities/churches in different cities and towns...

and the divesting of assets is already happening in many churches, for the reasons you have described...

this is also happening with organisations like the QCWA, as well...

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:07:36 PM by paceman »

Offline Spada

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #960 on: July 12, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
Perhaps the other way is to remove their tax free status as a charity; they are as business like as many other organisations, and therefore people no longer being able to claim back their donations on their tax could be one way to go.

I'm not defending churches here, but commenting on the "tax free status" discussion.  "not for profit" generally means the not for profit organisations are registered as a tax free entity and are returning their surplus funds back into the community somehow. Sure they are a business, but the business profits benefit the community (not the shareholders or directors) so taxing them only reduces their contribution to the community. A school P&C Assoc falls into the same tax status as a church.............should we tax them as well ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:42:13 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Conqueror UEV490

Offline GBC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #961 on: July 12, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Leave the churches alone. We've just finished an $8.5m church at Upper Coomera and a $5m build at Browns Plains both for the same non-Catholic denomination. Great payers, no worries about banks and finance - because there isn't any needed.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #962 on: July 12, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »

For the most part, donations to Church's aren't tax deductible, there are occasionally some special things they do that might be but generally speaking donations on a Sunday aren't tax deductible.

In this regards, they are treated no differently to a business, no profit is made so no tax is charged. I think people sometimes get a little confused with misinformation, they hear arguments from people in the USA and equate them to here, all giving there is tax deductible but not here. There are some benefit's they get from being a "not for profit" but they are not particular to Church's

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #963 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
Quote from: GBC
Leave the churches alone. We've just finished an $8.5m church at Upper Coomera and a $5m build at Browns Plains both for the same non-Catholic denomination. Great payers, no worries about banks and finance - because there isn't any needed.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #964 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »

curious to know where you believe that money comes from?

because you have to have money to pay taxes...  where does church money come from? 

usually, it's donations/offerings.  is that a bad thing?

do you know if they do charitable work? 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:35:06 PM by paceman »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #965 on: July 12, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »
Quote from: paceman

because you have to have money to pay taxes...  where does church money come from? 

like most donations to charities the bulk of the money never really gets where its intended.

that 13 million would go a long way to fixing homeless issues... but then again, 13million was just ashtray money for the church.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #966 on: July 12, 2018, 01:42:14 PM »
like most donations to charities the bulk of the money never really gets where its intended.

that 13 million would go a long way to fixing homeless issues... but then again, 13million was just ashtray money for the church.

do you know that they don't do charity work?

yes, some charities (churches included) don't do much with the money collected, but plenty use most (if not all) the money they receive for charitable works.

i know that you hate churches, religion and think that anyone who has a faith is crazy (possibly for very good reason), but good work does get done by churches, whether you choose to believe that or not.

i guess it's easier to criticise and make fun of those who are an easy target. 

i've offered on more than one occasion to show you proof of what our church and charitable organisation does, but you haven't taken up the offer.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:45:59 PM by paceman »

Offline GBC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #967 on: July 12, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »

do you know if they do charitable work?

I believe they paid us for the jobs, we are pricing another, and their money is as good as anybody else's. Being a builder who deals with developers and corporations I cannot afford to care how they got it, only how we got it.
I believe Archbishop Duhig was one of the best property developers to walk the earth. The Catholics most of the hilltops in Brisbane - Nundah, Red Hill, Coorpooroo, Camp Hill, Ashgrove, etc etc etc in deals done long ago. Again, not judging - I don't care that much - I went to a Catholic Boarding School so I get a free pass from caring.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:57:50 PM by GBC »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #968 on: July 12, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »

Want to give me a hint which one, only two that I can think of that might fit that bill, I know a little about one of them and finance is definitely involved.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:06:35 PM by tryagain »

Offline GBC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #969 on: July 12, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Want to give me a hint which one, only two that I can think of that might fit that bill, I know a little about one of them and finance is definitely involved.

PM sent

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #970 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
the church of Scientology perhaps?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #971 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
PM sent

Yep, that's the one, definitely loaned money. But can see why it might appear not so from the builder's side due to the organisation's structure.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #972 on: July 12, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
Australia would be in even a bigger utter mess if it were not for the literary millions of volunteer hours per year pumped into helping people, (including donated by the volunteers of many a church)...

People that attend churches are still human, and make plenty of mistakes  - just like the rest of us...  but there are tens of thousands volunteering their time to help others.... participating in the church's resources - (funds; buildings; facilities; programmes; etc)  to this end...

And I would rather see churches on top of hills than Mosques ...   (like there is in about a third of the world's urban landscape elsewhere)...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo
The following users thanked this post: edz, plusnq

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #974 on: July 12, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »
http://www.mygc.com.au/man-buried-up-to-his-neck-after-ground-gives-way/ Thought it could be Jeepers until I saw it was a 29yr old, the bit I am wondering about is if "was reportedly chasing a lizard" is a euphemism or not.