Author Topic: Keep Ice Colder For Longer In Your Icebox  (Read 2932 times)

Offline paul-gee

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Snowys Outdoors
Keep Ice Colder For Longer In Your Icebox
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
Dave Leslie shares his top 8 tips for keeping ice colder for longer in your icebox this summer.

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/tips-for-keeping-ice-longer-in-your-icebox/

Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Slowly chipping away at the Heysen Trail. Editor - The Snowys Blog.

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Keep Ice Colder For Longer In Your Icebox
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
Standard operational procedure I would have thought  ???
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »
Liked the comment about freezing seawater. ...   didn't know about that....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
3. Add some salt to your ice

Adding salt to water before freezing lowers the freezing temperature of the water, meaning that your ice will actually be colder than frozen fresh water. Using sea water will work even better than adding your own salt to the water.

Is this true? I have heard both opinions so i wonder if there is any definitive answer  ???

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:35:49 PM »

Adding salt to water before freezing lowers the freezing temperature of the water, meaning that your ice will actually be colder than frozen fresh water. Using sea water will work even better than adding your own salt to the water.

Is this true? I have heard both opinions so i wonder if there is any definitive answer  ???
Not sure of the physics here but if the freezing point of salt water is lower it means that the change between liquid/solid states is lower, it doesn't mean salt ice is colder.    If the salt ice changes to liquid at a lower temperature then it means that as the temperature rises it turns to mush sooner.

May not be a solution but isn't pykrete cool!   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete
Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI  & Jurgens Jindabyne.
Landcruiser,Landcruiser,Patrol,Touareg,Patrol,Touareg!

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
I guess for me the question is - if I am making ice blocks for the esky should I put in salt or sawdust or something else or not bother?????

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:14:10 PM »
I reckon go for the seawater as advised - I also liked the idea of using milk cartons so they will stack / wall up - and be better at sorting out the space?  Provided they don't leak...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »
For the amount that it might lower the freezing point, not sure that using salt water is worth it.
I find it better to freeze 2 l containers filled with fresh drinking water before a trip. When they thaw use the water to drink and replenish ice as needed on the way.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline mesuite77

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »

The ice won't be any more or less cold when you pull it out of the freezer. The slurry formed as the ice melts however sits at the freezing point of the liquid so a salt water slurry will be slightly colder than a pure water slurry.
2004 Ford Courier
2008 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
fresh water ice definitely taste better in a drink

:cheers:
Ads
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I don't know about making the ice last longer, but salt water ice will make the contents of the esky colder. Ice will take energy, in the form of heat, from the surrounding environment as it melts, due to the energy required to go from solid state to liquid state. This means the esky contents will be cooled to a temperature, approaching the temperature of the solid to liquid transition of the ice. Because saltwater has a lower freezing temperature than freshwater, the temperature that the esky contents will be drawn down to is lower than it would be for freshwater ice.

Simples eh?  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline dogbox

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
For the amount that it might lower the freezing point, not sure that using salt water is worth it.
I find it better to freeze 2 l containers filled with fresh drinking water before a trip. When they thaw use the water to drink and replenish ice as needed on the way.
this method kills two birds with one stone. ice an drinking water

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »
stubbies of beer chilled in fresh water ice definitely taste better in a drink

:cheers:
Ads

Fixed it for you.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »
I remember the days when we used to wait for the milk to thaw for breakfast early on in the trip. Dad froze everything he could before packing it in, including making big blocks in icecream containers. Never bought ice unless we were away for long enough for the esky to get too warm though.