Author Topic: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016  (Read 81909 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 01:15:30 PM »
You must like igniting wars by posting a bike thread?  😀

Not really.  Just NSW has been slower than other states to bring these laws in and appear to have taken other things further the other States.  Only meant to put it out there to inform others of the new laws and the increased penalties, sorry revenue raising NSW likes to implement.

For example : Not wearing a helmet (up from $71 to $319)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:17:15 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
All good mate.   Just a reference to every cycle thread on here that ends up in a all out war...  This has been quite civil so far :)

Thanks for posting.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
The big issue I have with the whole issue of the alleged safety for all involved and the increased infringement notices, sorry revenue raising, is if the powers that  be were really concerned about safety instead of introducing new rules to 'share' the road and everyone will be safe, which we know is prone not to be the case, spend the revenue on infrastructure and build separate cycle ways off the main roadway and make all safe.

Totally agree

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
I commuted by bike in London for 5 years and tried an experiment. I rode to all the rode rules including red lights and then ignored them the next day. My commute was 3 mins longer over a 8km commute when I followed the rules. I figured 3mins vs me dieing was a fair compromise and didn't break them again

Many years ago, we saw a segment on TV that had Peter Wherrett doing something similar.

He started from a servo on Liverpool Rd (or may have been Parramatta Rd? - same, same really!) with a full tank at 8.00am Monday morning, drove sanely, sensibly & totally legally to another servo 5km down the road & refueled.

Did same thing 8.00am the following Monday but this time drove like a lunatic, changing lanes, running "dark yellow" lights  :D, accelerating hard & so on.

The second run, he did the 5km, 17 seconds faster!, & used "significantly" more fuel.

Not really worth it, is it.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
if the powers that  be were really concerned about safety instead of introducing new rules to 'share' the road

They ARE concerned about safety, but like trying to educate new drivers before they learn bad habits.....MONEY.  If all P platers were prepared to pay $1000 for their license, then that sort of thing could happen....but it won't.  We can't even finish off the dual lane hwy to the Qld border, so how could you believe separate bike paths would ever be built ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
They ARE concerned about safety, but like trying to educate new drivers before they learn bad habits.....MONEY.  If all P platers were prepared to pay $1000 for their license, then that sort of thing could happen....but it won't.  We can't even finish off the dual lane hwy to the Qld border, so how could you believe separate bike paths would ever be built ??

Yeah I know what you mean. The dual lanes are slowly getting there.  But funny you mention the dual lanes.  We recently had a section of dual lane open from north of Coffs Harbour to Woolgoolga.  There is a local road that runs the whole section alongside the dual lane 110km/h highway.  On the local access road which in parts used to be the Pacific Highway is now restricted to 60 or 80 km/h.  The local road is one lane either way and also includes a separate cycle lane.  Apparently this was not good enough as the cyclist wanted a cycle lane on the highway as it is a direct route, not like the local road that has roundabouts and going over bridges as it crisscrosses the highway.  So in the name of safety the outside edge of the 110km/h highway is now a cycleway, divided from the flow of traffic by one painted line maybe 15cm wide.  I wonder if they will try to enforce the 1.5 meter passing rule if they ride right beside the lane vehicle lane.  If the cyclist is really concerned for their safety, go back to the local road where the cycleway is off the vehicle roadway and a lot safer. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

time

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
Yes, I am amazed that people are happy to bet their lives that I'm a good driver, and judge of distance.  All the near misses, and hits, I have seen, I would suggest that bicycles be no where near any road that has a speed limit above 60kph.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:00:57 PM by time »

Offline hoodoo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:35:42 PM by hoodoo »

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
The big issue I have with the whole issue of the alleged safety for all involved and the increased infringement notices, sorry revenue raising, is if the powers that  be were really concerned about safety instead of introducing new rules to 'share' the road and everyone will be safe, which we know is prone not to be the case, spend the revenue on infrastructure and build separate cycle ways off the main roadway and make all safe.
That would be expensive.
Taxes would have to go up.
People would pitch a fit.
Where as if drivers of every type of transportation simplybfollowed the same road rules it would be safer for everyone and cost nothing.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
"Yes, I am amazed that people are happy to bet their lives that I'm a good driver, and judge of distance.  All the near misses, and hits, I have seen, I would suggest that bicycles be no where near any road that has a speed limit above 60kph."

You bet your life on other drivers everyday when you druve your car...particularly the looney 4wd and caravan brigade ????,  buses and trucks etc. Always interesting that people choose not to see it that way.

Using the same logic that often gets stated that is is the dead/maimed cyclists fault for just being there perhaps that is a reason why our toad toll is 3000 odd a year?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:56 PM »
The Qld legislation has made it better no doubt. I always smile when I see cars actually planning there overtakes to make it safer for the mum/dad/sister/uncle/daughter who is loving life by getting out for some excercisenon their pushy. On yer bike, get fit and enjoy scenes like this.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »

Hard to think it's not about revenue raising when you see things like this. Cyclist only red light stays red whilst allowing cars travelling same direction through.. Then changes to green for mere seconds.

https://www.facebook.com/cyclistsparty/videos/713037895463682/
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

time

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
"Yes, I am amazed that people are happy to bet their lives that I'm a good driver, and judge of distance.  All the near misses, and hits, I have seen, I would suggest that bicycles be no where near any road that has a speed limit above 60kph."

You bet your life on other drivers everyday when you druve your car...particularly the looney 4wd and caravan brigade ????,  buses and trucks etc. Always interesting that people choose not to see it that way.

Using the same logic that often gets stated that is is the dead/maimed cyclists fault for just being there perhaps that is a reason why our toad toll is 3000 odd a year?

You missed my point by a mile.  In traffic I pass a minimal number of vehicles, and am passed by a minimal number, and when I do/am it is a closing speed of a kph or 2.  However, a bike rider is overtaken by potentially hundreds of vehicles each journey, in an 80 kph zone at a closing speed of perhaps 60 kph, thus betting their lives and well being that those hundreds of drivers are going to miss them.  Doesn't matter who is in the right or wrong, my 4WD Urban Assault vehicle will come off with a scratch or two, the cyclist .................  As to your point about us all taking risks, yes we do, but I'd much rather be hit when in my 4WD than on a pushhy

This is going down the path predicted by an early poster in this thread, so you have your view and I'll have mine.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2015, 04:03:28 PM »
As the OP I did not intend to re kindle the vehicle v cycle threads of earlier as I know they turned sour etc.  My intention was to let people know of the new laws, not just the one affecting car drivers but also the ones for cycle riders and the increased fines. 

Remember as of 1 March 2016 in NSW, this will impact of interstate people that believe it may be a good idea to pack the bike on the camper and come visit NSW. 

Fines for five offences will increase so that bicycle riders receive the
same fines as motorists for high risk behaviour. Increased penalties
will apply to bicycle riders who are caught:

Not wearing a helmet (up from $71 to $319)
Running a red light (up from $71 to $425)
Riding dangerously (up from $71 to $425)
Holding on to a moving vehicle (up from $71 to $319)
Not stopping at children's/pedestrian crossings (up $71 to $425)
Penalties for other bicycle rider offences will also increase from $71 to $106,
including the offence of riding at night without lights.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/campaigns/go-together/index.html
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the increased fines.

Some pretty serious increases - I must admit it would probably stop me sneaking cautiously through a red light at a vacant pedestrian crossing.

Not that I have ever killed or injured anyone doing it mind you. But hey the law's the law.
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
Spend a day in a truck and you will understand why, the road toll is like it is!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

Also not saying all truck drivers are good, plenty of corkheads in this industry now, due to unreal expectations!  >:D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.
The following users thanked this post: Davepatrol

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »
Spend a day in a truck and you will understand why, the road toll is like it is!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

Also not saying all truck drivers are good, plenty of corkheads in this industry now, due to unreal expectations!  >:D

Foo

I must say, i take my hat off to truckies..... tough job in an ordinary environment.
Lots of folks hate 'em, but everyone needs 'em, no-one wants to follow 'em, truckies are always at fault.... ask any journo....  ::)
Watched a guy shorten up a truck last sunday when an overtaking lane was running out.
Poor ol truck driver trying  to give him space, car over the centre line with on coming traffic....pure madness.

I've always hung back, quick flash of high beam so they know they can merge ok.
Always get the right flinker blink from the driver.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: Foo

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 07:57:54 AM »
You've seen my rants on FB Al about the cyclists that use the Lawrence road, one of them will be killed one day and it will be the motorists fault, because it surely wont be a cyclist that had done something stupid.

About bloody time there were some changes.
1 metre when the speed limit is 60km/h or less
1.5 metres when the speed limit is more than 60km/h
If drivers cannot pass a bicycle rider safely, they should slow down and wait until it is safe to pass the rider, leaving the minimum distance. To help drivers provide the minimum distance, some exemptions to the road rules will apply
I'd like to know how this going to be enforced on country roads were cyclists ride two abreast on narrow roads and ride within .5 of meter or on the center line and there is sweet FA road pavement to allow 1.5 meters. This effectively means that motorists will not be able to overtake unless they(Cyclists) are riding in single file.
I doubt any of the cyclists that ride the Lawrence to Grafton road will carry ID, they are the most arrogant bastards I know.

I also have a beef about the length that some of the packs of cyclists are.
Sometimes there are forty or more two abreast and they are over 50 meters in length as a pack, yet they don't have pilot vehicles warning motorists, yet heavy vehicles must if the are over-sized.
 And my biggest beef with these idiots, They choose to ride on the heaviest of foggy mornings(5.30 -7.00am).

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »
I understand your frustration Jon.  The Lawrence Road, isn't the best of roads to start with but for the cycle set it appears to be one of their chosen circuits.  Makes you wonder how hard or expensive it would be for Councils to identify these chosen circuits like Lawrence Road and just put in a dedicated cycleway next to the road and make it safe for all.  Yes it is an added expense and while Councils scream poor and can't or won't pay the expense to upgrade roads but seem to have funds for the artsy fartsy stuff it appears they have a twisted view on safety themselves. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
In a local FB page, I asked why they couldn't use the Pacific H/way as it has a very wide Fog line.
Their reply was,
"It's too dangerous on the H/way because of the trucks"
I kid you not.
Also with the H/way upgrade, more traffic is using the Lawrence to avoid the traffic on it.

I have come across a few times now as I drive into Grafton along Queen Street at about 6.30 am a group of cyclists racing each other 4 & 5 abreast near the Boundary Shop. They are obviously very competitive by the way they are up out of the saddle, I would presume that they belong to the local group/club. Being able to Identify them would be great.
I have a number Plate that people can use to identify me to police if they feel I have broken any road rules, being able to identify these road users would be great.

Anyway, we'll see how these new rule play out.

:cheers:

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
True story ??   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 04:27:03 PM »
And that is how perfectly good threads get derailed.

scrapsD40

NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
In this case I think you mean this is how a perfectly good thread gets derailleured
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 05:01:12 PM »
In this case I think you mean this is how a perfectly good thread gets derailleured

Lol. Classic