Author Topic: USA and guns  (Read 46547 times)

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: USA and guns
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
you like to live dangerously hey....maybe next time you are over there, you'd like to suggest to them that they are themselves to blame for 911 also...see how that works out for you  ;D
Na, the CIA did it and they didn't land on the moon, it was the Russians..
-
Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
>Click image below<

Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Totally rewired by Evo

Offline Railey

• Learning the Ropes
USA and guns
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2016, 08:09:38 PM »
One of my best mates sons, has married a US girl and she is an outcast in her family, because she has questioned their thinking towards guns.  ;) She is now living over here and feels much safer.  :)

Foo
I'm American and have lived over here for almost 4 years and feel much safer! ( not counting all of the home invasions...I am from Orlando by the way)

Sent
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:28:19 PM by Railey »

Offline PJ80

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:36 PM »
Easy equation. More guns = more deaths.

80 Series and Lifestyle Breakaway 2 Plus (Trackabout Safari now sold)

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
you like to live dangerously hey....maybe next time you are over there, you'd like to suggest to them that they are themselves to blame for 911 also...see how that works out for you  ;D
Yup, and electing Trump as president would be painting a big target on themselves for terrorists.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Homicides Per 100,000 PPL:

Aus: 0.11
Can: 0.51
USA: 3.55

Don't know how accurate that is.

Ban killer cars you reckon?

1 United States  15.5 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

2 Belgium  15.4 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

3 New Zealand  14 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

4 France  13.7 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

5 Italy  12.9 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

Group of 7 countries (G7) average  11.72 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

6 Ireland  11.6 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

7 Austria  10.4 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

8 Australia  10 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

9 Germany  9.8 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

10 Canada  9.6 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

11 Denmark  9.4 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

12 Japan  8.8 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

13 Norway  8.7 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

=14 Finland  8.6 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

=14 Switzerland  8.6 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

16 Netherlands  7.2 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

17 Sweden  5.6 deaths per 100,000 peopl  1999

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Health/Motor-vehicle-deaths
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
As a gun lover, I don't know why Australian gun laws & American gun laws can't meet half way. Americas are non-existent and Australia's are over the top.
I pay (what I call) a high fee to be told what I can and can't have, it's a process that takes longer than it should given the fees I pay. I'd love a semi auto, but I just plain can't have one. I'd also love a pistol for out in the paddock, but unfortunately, I have to join a club, do enough shoots for the year to get my license, then do 5 shoots a year for each caliber I have to prove I use it once I'm allowed to buy one. I can't buy my own gun in the first year of having that license either and these guns are not to be used anywhere other than the range.
I don't know facts, but I'd be willing to bet there are more deaths over here caused by illegally owned guns than registered lisenced guns. Also, I'd bet that knife attacks would be more common again. Maybe we all need a course on buttering bread & cutting a roast up & a fee every 5 years to prove we want to use a knife here and there?
I could go out tomorrow get a pistol or semi auto if I wanted, but because I follow the law, I won't. My point is, all these laws are punishing the good people and having no effect on the scum. Maybe relax the laws over here and bring tougher penalties in? Not that it would happen, Australia is too soft to impose a harsh penalty now.
Anyway, that's my rant over

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »
I don't know facts, but I'd be willing to bet there are more deaths over here caused by illegally owned guns than registered lisenced guns.
That is probably true, but I read somewhere that it costs significantly more to get an illegal gun in Australia than the US, like 10 times as much. Then you add that you would have to know the right/wrong people to buy an illegal gun too. You probably can't rock up to the local pub with cash and walk away armed, it takes time to organise too. All these things make it that little bit harder to get angry and go and shoot someone - it takes planning which leaves time to calm down.

I don't disagree that knife attacks have probably increased because you can't get guns, but it would appear to be harder to kill someone with a knife than a gun, and really hard to carry out a mass murder. You need to be relatively strong, in close contact etc.

Still, on the face of it I'd rather live with Aussie tough rules than the US free for all.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
Come on guys... lets all go and buy an AK47, and we will all be safer.
-
>Click image below<

Totally rewired by Evo

Offline plusnq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
Come on guys... lets all go and buy an AK47, and we will all be safer.

Well if one will make us safer then two will ..........
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:24:00 PM by plusnq »

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
As a gun lover, I don't know why Australian gun laws & American gun laws can't meet half way. Americas are non-existent and Australia's are over the top.
I pay (what I call) a high fee to be told what I can and can't have, it's a process that takes longer than it should given the fees I pay. I'd love a semi auto, but I just plain can't have one. I'd also love a pistol for out in the paddock, but unfortunately, I have to join a club, do enough shoots for the year to get my license, then do 5 shoots a year for each caliber I have to prove I use it once I'm allowed to buy one. I can't buy my own gun in the first year of having that license either and these guns are not to be used anywhere other than the range.
I don't know facts, but I'd be willing to bet there are more deaths over here caused by illegally owned guns than registered lisenced guns. Also, I'd bet that knife attacks would be more common again. Maybe we all need a course on buttering bread & cutting a roast up & a fee every 5 years to prove we want to use a knife here and there?
I could go out tomorrow get a pistol or semi auto if I wanted, but because I follow the law, I won't. My point is, all these laws are punishing the good people and having no effect on the scum. Maybe relax the laws over here and bring tougher penalties in? Not that it would happen, Australia is too soft to impose a harsh penalty now.
Anyway, that's my rant over

Are you in Roma QLD? If so, you can purchase your first pistol as soon as the six months is up when you join the club. At the same time, you can also submit your PTA too.

I got my Cat H license and PTA within 6 weeks from submission and purchased my Glock 17 from Cleavers.

Who says you can't purchase your own pistol within the first 12 months?

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
That I am J.R, I haven't been to the pistol side of things here as I have been concentrating on small bore to help in the paddock (I'm a lousy shot).
When I was doing pistols in St George, that was the info I was getting. Also, when a friend was doing his gun course, he was given similar info.
Sounds like a confusing area out this way.
The following users thanked this post: Col59

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »
Different clubs have different rules.

But the state laws say you can purchase a pistol as soon as the qualification period is up.

You can only have one for the first year, but after that, fill YA boots.
The following users thanked this post: listo

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
all this talk of guns has made me buy a new shotgun  >:D. Shh don't tell the wife

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
Thanks for that info J.R, I'll have to pull my finger out & start going to pistols again too. Those are a lot better conditions than I was told

Online Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »
Nice reply number Swannie,  ;D

Tim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
Just for a different take . Watching recorded ep of Australian story last night. Was about how even the dry communities are wiping themselves out in the territory by ODing on sugar products. The comment the social worker made was in 20 years they have gone from being 90% reliant on the bush for food to 90% reliant on the stores a large reason for that was the change in gun laws and them losing their ability to hunt on masse for there communities.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim
The following users thanked this post: bmwfreak

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
I didn't "think"  ???, most of those sort of laws applied?

There was carry-on a few years ago when the professional whinger up north was bragging about hunting Dugong (protected species) because it was his traditional right, & I believe he got away with it?
Fozzee: 2008 Subaru Forester, 2.5l auto, fully standard
Ozzee: Oztrail Camper 12 on 7x4 Economy Trailer

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
Was the 12 gauge or the 303 part of the traditional arsenal thousands of years ago?? They can still hunt for food, they just don't want to do it the way their ancestors did it.
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »
Quote from: Joff
Was the 12 gauge or the 303 part of the traditional arsenal thousands of years ago?? They can still hunt for food, they just don't want to do it the way their ancestors did it.

Quote from: achjimmy
... a large reason for that was the change in gun laws and them losing their ability to hunt on masse for there communities.
garbage
-
>Click image below<

Totally rewired by Evo

Offline OldPaj

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
Just for a different take . Watching recorded ep of Australian story last night. Was about how even the dry communities are wiping themselves out in the territory by ODing on sugar products. The comment the social worker made was in 20 years they have gone from being 90% reliant on the bush for food to 90% reliant on the stores a large reason for that was the change in gun laws and them losing their ability to hunt on masse for there communities.

Absolutely must be true, after all it was on the ABC!

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2017, 05:57:17 AM »
OMG.  Yep proves America is gun crazy and this will add to Police shootings for sure.  Just scary.
News items from Europe. 

American gun designed to look like iphone could be on its way here.
The iphone gun, designed to be worn on the hip as a concealed weapon, is expected to go on sale soon in the USA and European police have been warned about illegal imports.
It’s believed the weapon will be imported to European criminals within days, as officials struggle to control the borders amid terror fears.
The pistol folds up to look exactly like a smartphone with a bulky cover, but it costs half the price of Apple’s current model.
With one click it unfolds into a deadly two-shot pistol that could wreak havoc on our streets.
The device will go on sale for around £330 – half the price of an actual iPhone.
Makers Ideal Conceal have had 12,000 pre-orders already.
The Minnesota company boasted on its Facebook page: “Smartphones are everywhere, so your new pistol will easily blend in with today’s environment.
“In its locked position it will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight.”

Why do they allow this?  It is their right.....  So don't complain when someone gets shot.   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »
I was in swiztland recently and it was pointed out every male over 18yrs old has there selective fire assault rifle at home with them as part of military service! There has been only one mass shooting of 12 people in all the years, wonder why?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »
Why ??
From what I remember being told by a member of their military on exchange here [ many many years ago ] , Everyone does active military service from the age of 18 [ from memory 3 months of the year ]  they  take their rifles home and an amount of ammunition at the end of that service and are stored in proper secured  lockers ..
 Its either police or an inspection team that do random checks to see if the security seals have been broken, if the seals have been tampered with the soldier gets taken away  for a please explain and a spell in the cells .
So I would say being properly trained coupled with a responsible attitude and social skills would be a big factor [ for want of better words ] ..

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:03:43 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
Don't forget the motorised tinny.
Their ancestors didn't use them for hunting either.
Few years back a tinny pulled up on a local beach near me with a few good sized turtles in it.
Fishermen threw them on their backs on the beach and tied up the tinny.
When the locals asked about them the fishermen said it was their right to have them.
Soon as the fishermen went into the pub for a beer the locals put the turtles back into the water.
Pretty sure the fishermen were a bit upset when they came out of the Basra few hours later and the turtles were gone.
Bill

Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown