Author Topic: USA and guns  (Read 124401 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: USA and guns
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
When I lived in South Dakota... you'd walk through Kesslers or Walmart carparks and there were dozens and dozens of cars with windows down, many with keys in them, and nearly every "PICKUP" had a gun rack between passenger and drivers seats on the back wall of the cab...
Yep... many of those had guns (rifles or long guns of some sort) in the racks.
You could pretty much pick and chose the gun you wanted to take if you were sure you wouldn't get shot in the arse as you lent in the car to take it.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »

And anyone who thinks Australia is such a safe place because of the gun buy back, there is more guns in circulation now than there ever was prior to the buy back. It is actually a hobby that many new people are taking up.

Just more regulated than the US. Way harder to own one, and those that do (legally) hopefully have had all the right checks done.   I just think the US makes it too easy to own one without supervision

I agree with you on the other points. I like shooting. I prefer target shooting though. Its about the skill for me. I don't really like the killing part, unless I am going to eat it. (I took part in culling operation 20 years ago and it was awful. No finesse, no skill, no 'thrill of the hunt', just slaughter: Find a herd, shoot, Find a herd, shoot etc...  for 3 days dawn until dusk.) I just don't get the thrill of killing something just because.

I was in the army cadets and have shot SA80's, GPMG's and Bren guns on Full Auto, and I admit its hella fun! But done in a safe controlled manner, on an army gun range, under supervision, not on some acre block on the outskirts of town with drunken yahoo's. 
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:12 PM »
This made me laugh...

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/australia-enjoys-another-peaceful-day-under-oppressive-gun-control-regime/

Due to the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting on Australian soil today, for the 7158th day in a row.

Local cinema attendant, Christina Upton can’t believe it has been a whole 19 years and 7 months since a heavily armed white Australian male decided to shoot at a crowd of unsuspecting Australian civilians for no reason.

She says the peaceful two decades that have followed are “probably” because the Australian government decided to strip her of a God-given right to own projectile weaponry capable of shooting down helicopters.

“Yeah, I mean the Yanks come across as sick people. This year there have been more mass shootings in America than calendar dates… But it wasn’t that long ago that Australia had postal workers holding their entire office hostage with AR-15s”

Ms Upton, who claims to be able to walk freely outside of her home without fear of being killed by a mass shooter, believes that God-given rights probably play a bigger role in America’s mass shootings than Americans think.

“I don’t think America should be so hard on itself about the mental state of thousands of lonely white virgins. We have those people too,” “…Just in our country those people don’t have access to Russian-made automatic assault rifles that have been invented purely to help military personnel win wars. If I was in America, I’d be terrified of working in a cinema – for fear that one of these losers would use their God-given rights to murder me in cold blood,”

Per 100,000 residents in Australia, less than 1 are expected to be killed by a firearm this year. This is heavily contrasted to the 10.5 in 100,000 who will be killed in America.

Local cop, Uncle Rick Ridgeway, says that this is because idiots have a harder time getting their hands on machine guns than criminals.

“I think America needs to realise that it’s not really the criminals you need to worry about as such. I’d be more concerned about the weirdos. Criminals use guns to help their efforts in making money through crime – they have much less interest in killing you.  Weirdos use guns to shoot up medical centres and primary schools for no reason other than the fact that they want to use their God-given rights, In Australia. Our weirdos are forced to write stern letters,”

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway
The following users thanked this post: trevc

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
Let's talk about drugs, the worldwide mass murderer of far more people than guns will ever be able to claim....
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
I've been following these posts with interest and boy, there is some twisted logic going on here. The simple and sad fact is that you could apply gun laws in the USA similar to Australia and you would make squat difference to the number of people killed by guns each year. The reason? The vast majority of firearm homicides are committed with ILLEGAL firearms! Mass shootings are great fodder for the media but every day in the USA dozens of people are shot during the commission of a crime with illegally obtained firearms. Quite simply, you will never solve the "gun problem" in the USA by disarming law abiding citizens.

ILLEGAL firearms  - bullShit. You will find this latest one the arms were legally held. This is NRA propaganda.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »
Let's talk about drugs, the worldwide mass murderer of far more people than guns will ever be able to claim....

A bit like old age. 100% fatal

UIZ733

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
Motor vehicles would probably beat the lot.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
A bit like old age. 100% fatal
It can have a similar effect on the mind too..  ;D drugs and old age that is...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »

It can have a similar effect on the mind too..  ;D drugs and old age that is...

I'm finding that too as the years march on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »
How ****ed up are americans?

http://www.theage.com.au/world/nevada-republican-michele-fiore-sends-family-christmas-card-featuring-guns-20151205-glgcni.html
Nevada Republican, Michele Fiore, sends family Christmas card featuring guns

-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2015, 07:35:29 PM »
Seriously that's fkd! That baby on the right should have pulled mums top down a bit further.😄
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut
The following users thanked this post: cruiserv8

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
Seriously that's fkd! That baby on the right should have pulled mums top down a bit further.😄
I was going to say exactly the same thing, there are also some nice rigs there. The one that moms got would be worth a few pennies being left handed, not to mention the hand gun having to have ambidextrous safety and magazine release moved to the other side, all nice mods costs money.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
Americas two main  problems is religious fundimentalisim preached to uneducated maniacs who believe all the Shit thier fed. ..and yes a few percent ar muslims.
Gun circulation is a massive issue as is no scrutiny on who owns one but thier society is far more at fault.
They are fed so much irrelivant paranoia filled hatred and fear,particuly since 9/11 and yet
 they have people dieing because they cant aford housing or medication...the worst thing is they are hell bent on the rest of the world  joining them.
When your problems at home are to big to notice the neighborhood going to Shit the people in charge can have at it...like dick chaney and haliburton
Worst thing is americas pressing coruption charges on fifa... i guess they didnt make enough on the deal...

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »
Yeah, I would vote for her.... Guns, what guns??? I didn't notice any  ;D

What is our comparison? Julie Bishop??

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't wish for it...Work for it!
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
depends what your hunting....
Wabbits. We're hunting Wabbits
Be vewy vewy quiet
Hahaha haha haha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It is better to stand alone with the Truth
Than to be Wrong with the Multitudes

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
How ****ed up are americans?

Yeah, but you wouldn't try and break into that families house, would ya.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
I've  spent a fair bit of time in the states and know a few gun fanatics. I was always amazed at a town I used to stay in where the station agent would leave his stock out the front overnight!  Nobody would steal it cause he might just be waiting there with a machine pistol! But then again whilst there a kook had had enough of life and wasted his kids wife and self!  Same argument could be used at port Arthur if somebody had been armed how many would Bryant have killed? But there'd would have been a darn sight more firearms deaths since.  A friend in the states explained it simply to me. "The genie is outta the bottle Jim!" Theirs too many firearms and unregistered they'll never real this back in.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2015, 11:25:21 PM »
"The genie is outta the bottle Jim!" There's too many firearms and unregistered they'll never reel this back in.

Too true I fear.

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Online edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
Accidently let a few truck loads of explosive ammo of different types get stolen and filter through the illegal networks ... Once a few hundred scumbags get taken out the moment they pull the trigger it might make the ones thinking about doing something bad do a double take and change their minds about it .. ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:00:40 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
Problem with the Yanks is they have a double edged sword most other countries don't - fanatical rednecks, and fanatical redneck states with no desire to stop fanatical rednecks getting guns.

If they required them to have a full set of (real) teeth and a drug test before getting a gun, that would clean up half their gun violence  ;D

Unfortunately trying to remove guns from those people would cause more deaths and trigger a civil war than letting them keep them. They would not give them up with out a fight.
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:21 AM »
Yeah, but you wouldn't try and break into that families house, would ya.
Have a look at Jim Jeffries response to that. Responsible owners are going to keep the gun in a safe, "hey intruder, just wait there while I get my gun". Otherwise, as is more likely a kid is going to get the gun and use it on your family by accident.

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »
ILLEGAL firearms  - bullShit. You will find this latest one the arms were legally held. This is NRA propaganda.

Not once did I mention the latest shooting in the USA, which by reports is a "lone wolf" terrorist attack. Now have a look at homicide and robbery figures in the USA, they are committed by people with illegally obtained firearms. I don't say that the US doesn't have a gun problem, but what's needed is a bit of perspective. If you want an example of how big the gun issue is in the USA just bear in mind that for the last 7 years you have had the most left wing president in American history, much of that time with a sympathetic congress and he has made absolutely nil difference.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »
George W Bush
George Bush snr
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Donald Trump
Sarah Palin 
J Edgar Hoover

End of conversation.

Oh did I mention George W Bush?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
George W Bush
George Bush snr
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Donald Trump
Sarah Palin 
J Edgar Hoover

End of conversation.

Oh did I mention George W Bush?

George Washington
 Thomas Jefferson
 Abraham Lincoln
 Franklin Roosevelt
 Dwight Eisenhower
 Billy The Kid
 Wyatt Earp

So, what's your point

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
This is a great article, the NRA got this spot on........so true.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/the-nra-just-slammed-obama-and-hes-furious/
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback