Author Topic: USA and guns  (Read 119225 times)

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: USA and guns
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
Its not just the level of gun ownership which is the issue but the type of guns and how readily available they are. Most of the pictures of guns in the American community show automatics assault rifles or machine pistols which are designed to kill people - not bolt action sporting firearms.

In Australia these cannot be bought.
"WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO KILL PEOPLE"
And that is probably the best statement I have seen on this topic.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL
The following users thanked this post: Terry W4

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »

anything can be brought illegally if you have the motive and cash ;D

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
Its not just the level of gun ownership which is the issue but the type of guns and how readily available they are. Most of the pictures of guns in the American community show automatics assault rifles or machine pistols which are designed to kill people - not bolt action sporting firearms.

That's right terry along with pistols they have been heavily regulated in Australia for years, machine pistols have NEVER been available to anybody but law inforcement . And that's the issue it hasn't  stopped criminals spraying houses in western Sydney using machine pistols ! Really when they catch these guys what happens? Bail, suspended sentences etc.  I am with above mandatory sentence 1st offense 5 yrs second 20yrs I'll support higher taxes to keep these grubs away. But I bet you once a few sentences handed down the rest will get the idea quickly.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »
Most legal gun owners couldnt care less about automatic weapons, and in fact do not even own them.
What they worry about is if the American Government succeds in taking 1 type of firearm, than it would be easier for them to take other types, and where would it stop? No one knows.
Bill

After the talk about gun control in the wake of sandy hook AR sales went through the roof, people in the US who had never owned an assault rifles where buying up for the fear they would dry up. I forget the quoted figures but it was insane

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
This is a great article, the NRA got this spot on........so true.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/the-nra-just-slammed-obama-and-hes-furious/

I know this is the NRA but there got it right, it's a great start. The US have regulated guns before so they can start, after Kennedy was shot with an Italian military rifle they banned imports of military rifles for decades irrc.

Jim

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2015, 09:05:38 AM »
That's right terry along with pistols they have been heavily regulated in Australia for years, machine pistols have NEVER been available to anybody but law inforcement . And that's the issue it hasn't  stopped criminals spraying houses in western Sydney using machine pistols ! Really when they catch these guys what happens? Bail, suspended sentences etc.  I am with above mandatory sentence 1st offense 5 yrs second 20yrs I'll support higher taxes to keep these grubs away. But I bet you once a few sentences handed down the rest will get the idea quickly.

The incidence of crims spraying houses with automatic fire is fairly limited and tends to be crims shooting at crims in this country. Different in the states where every wannabe gangster has an uzi.

I think that the majority of those calling for gun control really want to stop the messed up teenager from rampaging through the local high school. Stopping easy access to these weapons is a very important step to stopping those massacres. Iif these weapons are illegal and you can't get them from the local supermarket you won't be popping down to the local hoodlums andpicking one up, you will need to search for one. Then the prices will rise out of reach of most as well and ammo will be harder to get as well. Price difference between the gun used at sandy hook in us at $1k and illegally obtained in Aus at $35k is a game changer.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
The incidence of crims spraying houses with automatic fire is fairly limited and tends to be crims shooting at crims in this country. Different in the states where every wannabe gangster has an uzi.

I think that the majority of those calling for gun control really want to stop the messed up teenager from rampaging through the local high school. Stopping easy access to these weapons is a very important step to stopping those massacres. Iif these weapons are illegal and you can't get them from the local supermarket you won't be popping down to the local hoodlums andpicking one up, you will need to search for one. Then the prices will rise out of reach of most as well and ammo will be harder to get as well. Price difference between the gun used at sandy hook in us at $1k and illegally obtained in Aus at $35k is a game changer.
I would say the incidence of "automatic" gunfire is virtually non-existent in Australia. Over the last few years of wannabe gangsta's shooting at houses in western Sydney they've just been a few bullets, certainly not sprays of bullets. Maybe there have been some, but that'd be rare.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
Ffffttt traditional guns are so out dated ban them and ammo all you want .. then people will just make their own stuff up or pay people who have the smarts to do it for them .. Jaycar / dicksmith local kids hobby store,  tip or kerbside clean up would get you most everthing you need to build this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeJsaCiGQ0
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
Ffffttt traditional guns are so out dated ban them and ammo all you want .. then people will just make their own stuff up or pay people who have the smarts to do it for them .. Jaycar / dicksmith local kids hobby store,  tip or kerbside clean up would get you most everthing you need to build this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeJsaCiGQ0

I don't think this is very lethal, most of the bullets were hitting the laptop on there side..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
After the talk about gun control in the wake of sandy hook AR sales went through the roof, people in the US who had never owned an assault rifles where buying up for the fear they would dry up. I forget the quoted figures but it was insane
That would have surprised no one sir.
Gun and ammo sales go through the roof every single time the US Government talks about gun control.
After the passing of the Brady bill it was near on impossible to get certain guns and ammo because of the demand.
Manufacturers were overjoyed.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Walmart , Washington.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
I remember being able to buy .22 from Big W sports dept. Back when they had cafes etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
I remember being able to buy .22 from Big W sports dept. Back when they had cafes etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I bought one from a Kmart, also carried it through the main street of Merrylands at a later time...imagine carrying one through any street now??   :o  lol
Bob and Robyn

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
You'd end up wearing it as a collar????

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
I bought one from a Kmart, also carried it through the main street of Merrylands at a later time...imagine carrying one through any street now??   :o  lol

My f-i-l used to shoot rifle competitions.

Has told us many times of packing his .303 in it's case, picking up his range bag, walking down to the station, jumping on a train out to the range, then same same coming home that afternoon, & the most anybody said was "How'd you go?".

& this was only in the '60s!
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
Mid 70's, I used to ride a Triumph Bonneville from Sandringham VIC to Hay NSW, with a rifle bag [ contaiing a a Remington BDL 700 .308]  slung over the shoulder. The route was up Nepean H"way, St.Kilda Rd, up Elizebeth St and down Sydney Road , then to Shep, Echuca, Denny and onto Hay.
Never got pulled up once. Made the trip every 3 weeks.

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »
Whats stopping that happening now?
How are legal gun owners supposed to move them around, secretly?
Arent many rules for cat a and b even c must just be onoperable.

This illustrates the hysteria over firearms we have here.
i know the looks you get carrying a rifle bag down the street to the gun smith.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
I used to drive from Laverton to Williamstown in VIC with 4 SLRs in the boot of my FJ Holden, bolts in the glovebox. No ammo or mags though, but would get a bit of a reaction doing that these days if you got pulled over.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »

This illustrates the hysteria over firearms we have here.
i know the looks you get carrying a rifle bag down the street to the gun smith.

It's because most people these days have never seen a gun.  I'm 56 and have never seen a person carrying a gun in public.

If this was America and we were talking about guns, it would have gone the same way as the pushbike thread.....all the people who think they should be allowed to own one versus the people who can't understand the need for one !  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
it gets better....

Gun TV, at-home shopping network for firearms, to debut January 2016

Home shopping is nothing new. Home shopping for firearms? Now there's a novel idea.

Gun TV will debut Jan. 20, 2016 and will be available to cable TV providers and national satellite carriers. The network will initially broadcast from midnight to 6 a.m. CST with plans to expand to 12-hours of programming and then, before the end of the year, to a 24 hour-a-day network.

The network, which uses the slogan "Gun TV...Fully Loaded," will sell firearms, ammunition and outdoor items and run three minutes of safety programming per hour. It will operate the same way channels such as QVC and Home Shopping Network do, The Guardian reported: hosts will describe an item and those wanting to make a purchase can order online or call a number to buy the weapon.

Unlike the housewares or jewelry ordered from one of the other television shopping sites, however, the firearms won't be delivered to the buyer's home. Instead, the gun will be shipped to the customer's nearest federally licensed gun retailer, who will complete the mandated background checks and any paperwork.

The network has signed an agreement with firearms wholesaler Sports South of Shreveport, Louisiana, to serve as its distributor.

The idea of a home gun buying channel, announced just as the U.S. was dealing with the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, has been criticized by many but channel co-founder Valerie Castle told The Guardian she doesn't think the programming will result more guns being put on the street.

"We saw an opportunity in filling a need, not creating one," she said. "The vast majority of people who own and use guns in this country, whether it's home protection, recreation or hunting, are responsible."

Gun TV's parent company, Social Responsibility Network, is based in Delaware.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/12/gun_tv_at-home_shopping_networ.html?hootPostID=32b9d0cfc7d69f54f3a16858ddcbbade
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
I used to drive from Laverton to Williamstown in VIC with 4 SLRs in the boot of my FJ Holden, bolts in the glovebox. No ammo or mags though, but would get a bit of a reaction doing that these days if you got pulled over.

Actually, no problem doing the same thing here in QLD with licenced firearms. If I am in my wagon I will just have them on the back seat in a bag or covered over.  I have been pulled over a few times over the years at RBT's and stuff, and never any problems. In fact quite the opposite, when I have been loaded up with hunting gear I have had the cops want to talk all about hunting!
I have asked if they want to inspect my firearms, and each time they have said, 'nah all good mate'.

Many a time I have walked down the street with a rifle under my arm coming or going to the gun shop. As long as it is in a bag and bolt out/etc. No dramas. How else are we supposed to get them there!

Like most things in life, if you are doing the right thing, you have nothing to worry about.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »
Actually, no problem doing the same thing here in QLD with licenced firearms. If I am in my wagon I will just have them on the back seat in a bag or covered over.  I have been pulled over a few times over the years at RBT's and stuff, and never any problems. In fact quite the opposite, when I have been loaded up with hunting gear I have had the cops want to talk all about hunting!
I have asked if they want to inspect my firearms, and each time they have said, 'nah all good mate'.

Many a time I have walked down the street with a rifle under my arm coming or going to the gun shop. As long as it is in a bag and bolt out/etc. No dramas. How else are we supposed to get them there!

Like most things in life, if you are doing the right thing, you have nothing to worry about.

I suspect if you are in an area with a large rural/agricultural community this is the case, and dare I say normal. However, wandering into the CBD of Sydney could be a different story.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2015, 06:15:17 PM »

I thought they still do.......just out the window of lowered fully sic pimpmobiles.......
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »
I thought they still do.......just out the window of lowered fully sic pimpmobiles.......

;D   >:D
Bob and Robyn

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
Its actually MORE illegal to carry a knife than a legal firearm
You can be find for carrying a knife without a good reason, even a penknife yet its OK to carry suitably safe and legal firearm