Author Topic: USA and guns  (Read 122541 times)

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: USA and guns
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »
and the incidents that are never covered by main stream media

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/04/uber-driver-in-chicago-stops-mass-public-shooting/

And how can these events happen if none of them have guns ?

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
And how can these events happen if none of them have guns ?

You'll never stop bad guys having guns, that's just not gunna happen. You only stop the law abiding citizens.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
You'll never stop bad guys having guns, that's just not gunna happen. You only stop the law abiding citizens.

Easy fixed. Mandatory five year sentence for possession of an unlicensed firearm. No parole. Aggressive law enforcement would quickly limit amount of unlicensed firearms being used in crime.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Easy fixed. Mandatory five year sentence for possession of an unlicensed firearm. No parole. Aggressive law enforcement would quickly limit amount of unlicensed firearms being used in crime.

Nope, thats no good. @ $100K per year to keep a prisoner and the prison will be over run, so more prisons need to built........government will sure to go broke even quicker..................but hey...............print more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
Best thing is to let nature take its course. She always wins in the end.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
that's why I don't have a gun.
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
Criminals will always find a way to get weapons illegally.
By having strict gun control we are lessening the opportunity for "normal" people to have access to these weapons in a "crime of passion situation". The figures speak for themselves. We are not going to change the thinking in USA but can be thankful that we use some common sense in Australia.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
Just watching doomsday prepers (I know)

They had a statistic (I know) but it mentioned that 41% of Americans consider it more important or likely to have a doomsday event rather than saving for retirement

Seriously- this is the intellect of the people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
Seriously- this is the intellect of the people
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not all Americans thank you.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Jackdawg

• Tent User
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
Criminals will always find a way to get weapons illegally.
By having strict gun control we are lessening the opportunity for "normal" people to have access to these weapons in a "crime of passion situation". The figures speak for themselves. We are not going to change the thinking in USA but can be thankful that we use some common sense in Australia.

They don't shout it from the tree tops, but I have been told the majority of gun related deaths in Australia are suicides.
Which is generally legally owned guns......

Interesting article about what happened after Port Arthur and the gun law changes that resulted from it.
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:36:33 PM by Jackdawg »

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »
Nope, thats no good. @ $100K per year to keep a prisoner and the prison will be over run, so more prisons need to built........government will sure to go broke even quicker..................but hey...............print more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X 1,000   ... exactly what I was thinking. ...   warehousing felons ain't for free.....

Shake&Bake BB

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
Not all Americans thank you.
Bill

Been to America twice now and found all the americans that could talk english ( millions can't...being spanish, mexican or french heritage ) were very friendly and while some had views on gun ownership, none that I met actually had one.

Could hardly call them uneducated, it's just the way they've been brought up.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
Been to America twice now and found all the americans that could talk english ( millions can't...being spanish, mexican or french heritage ) were very friendly and while some had views on gun ownership, none that I met actually had one.

Could hardly call them uneducated, it's just the way they've been brought up.
Everyone in the world has views on gun ownership.  ;D
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »
It would be interesting to find out how they were going to get all the guns off the  streets  over there,  they couldn't do it here and we only had a drop in the ocean compared to the US,  plus most shooters here had/have a totally different  outlook on gun ownership  than they do in the US

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
George Bush didn't own a passport till he became el presidento; if you want to see uneducated - watch "Jerry; Jerry; Jerry"   .......

raflmao

Shake&Bake BB

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »
I've  spent a fair bit of time in the states and know a few gun fanatics. I was always amazed at a town I used to stay in where the station agent would leave his stock out the front overnight!  Nobody would steal it cause he might just be waiting there with a machine pistol! But then again whilst there a kook had had enough of life and wasted his kids wife and self!  Same argument could be used at port Arthur if somebody had been armed how many would Bryant have killed? But there'd would have been a darn sight more firearms deaths since.  A friend in the states explained it simply to me. "The genie is outta the bottle Jim!" Theirs too many firearms and unregistered they'll never real this back in.
Knowing that every second idiot has a gun doesn't seem to stop anyone over there from having a successful mass shooting. How many mass shooters are klilled within 30 secs from opening up on the public by another member of the public rather than the police force?
You'll never stop the illegal firearms as criminals will always find a way to get them, and as long as they are only shooting other criminals I say let em go for it ;D
I cant figure out why the americans are all up in arms about gun control. They carry on about the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms, well you'd still be able to get your guns just not full automatic assault rifles and the like (which unless your going to war you don't really need anyway) so that argument is null and void as far as Im concerned. And in regards to the background checks etc... even if our constitution said we had the right to bear arms I'd still support the fact that some people just shouldn't have them period.
The following users thanked this post: Rocky and Bullwinkle

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2015, 08:46:40 PM »
I have a friend that lives in Ohio.

He can pay the ATF $200 to get a permit to legally own a fully automatic suppressed AR15 variant rifle.

Yes, there is some thing seriously wrong with their laws.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Knowing that every second idiot has a gun doesn't seem to stop anyone over there from having a successful mass shooting. How many mass shooters are klilled within 30 secs from opening up on the public by another member of the public rather than the police force?
You'll never stop the illegal firearms as criminals will always find a way to get them, and as long as they are only shooting other criminals I say let em go for it ;D
I cant figure out why the americans are all up in arms about gun control. They carry on about the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms, well you'd still be able to get your guns just not full automatic assault rifles and the like (which unless your going to war you don't really need anyway) so that argument is null and void as far as Im concerned. And in regards to the background checks etc... even if our constitution said we had the right to bear arms I'd still support the fact that some people just shouldn't have them period.
Most legal gun owners couldnt care less about automatic weapons, and in fact do not even own them.
What they worry about is if the American Government succeds in taking 1 type of firearm, than it would be easier for them to take other types, and where would it stop? No one knows.
Bill
-unknown

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
I have a friend that lives in Ohio.

He can pay the ATF $200 to get a permit to legally own a fully automatic suppressed AR15 variant rifle.

Yes, there is some thing seriously wrong with their laws.
A bit harder than just paying $200.00 to the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms)
Must also pass background checks.
Its also $200 for each silencer.
Attached a bit more info.
Bill

YES, SILENCERS ARE LEGAL — AND THEY ARE EASY TO OBTAIN THROUGH PROPER CHANNELS.
No, you do not need a license to purchase a silencer, but you do have to pay a one-time $200 tax for each silencer you purchase. You also must:

BE AT LEAST 21 YEARS OF AGE TO PURCHASE A SILENCER FROM A DEALER

BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE TO PURCHASE A SILENCER FROM AN INDIVIDUAL ON A FORM 4 TO FORM 4 TRANSFER (CONTINGENT ON STATE LAWS)

BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE TO POSSESS A SILENCER AS A BENEFICIARY OF A TRUST OR AS A MEMBER OF A CORPORATION

BE A RESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

BE LEGALLY ELIGIBLE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM

PASS A BATFE BACKGROUND CHECK WITH A TYPICAL PROCESS TIME OF 60-120 DAYS
RESIDE IN ONE OF THE 41 STATES THAT CURRENTLY ALLOW CIVILIAN OWNERSHIP OF SILENCERS
-unknown

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Interesting read guys n gals.

Given the sheer volume of weapons in the states I don't think there will ever be an easy solution.

We've been over there for month long holidays and never had an issue. In fact I'd go so far as to say I've felt safer over there than here at times.
The other place you notice greater respect is on the roads. We can't drive from Toowoomba to Brisbane without some driver being an idiot. You can drive for 5000+ miles in the states and not have a single issue. Everybody us so aware that people are armed that they are all respectful.

In some aspects there is good in it and the mass shootings are the dire result by the estranged few.

either way there is dire need for reform over there... Just how it gets done is beyond my naieve mind....

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »
Interesting read guys n gals.

Given the sheer volume of weapons in the states I don't think there will ever be an easy solution.

We've been over there for month long holidays and never had an issue. In fact I'd go so far as to say I've felt safer over there than here at times.
The other place you notice greater respect is on the roads. We can't drive from Toowoomba to Brisbane without some driver being an idiot. You can drive for 5000+ miles in the states and not have a single issue. Everybody us so aware that people are armed that they are all respectful.

In some aspects there is good in it and the mass shootings are the dire result by the estranged few.

either way there is dire need for reform over there... Just how it gets done is beyond my naieve mind....

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
 Another take on it.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA.

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia-974622499297992/

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
Another take on it.

Mark

That is very good.  I have been thinking similar.  Stop calling the acts terrorism.  Call them murderers.  They are not right in the head; they just use a perverted concept of a religion as their excuse to inflict their own agenda.  The media should stop pushing the idea that it is the name of a religion, and like other things now, stop blaming drugs etc.  These people are bad people and they need to be taken out of society.  There are lots of bad people about but we seem to need to put blame on something.  Human kind through the ages have been a bad and cruel species.   But the media loves it.  Politicians love it.   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »
I see it more like this myself

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
Its not just the level of gun ownership which is the issue but the type of guns and how readily available they are. Most of the pictures of guns in the American community show automatics assault rifles or machine pistols which are designed to kill people - not bolt action sporting firearms.

In Australia these cannot be bought.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com