Author Topic: Electronic rust protection - busted  (Read 30487 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Electronic rust protection - busted
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »
Bugger ... All this just when I was about to re release the latest chinese platinum upgrade of the Peter Brock Energy Polariser ... :'(
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

KingBilly

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
It looks as though you already have an answer.

The silence is deafening  ;D

KB

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 07:23:27 AM »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
This is something that has always got me a bit confused. I've read lots of explanations, here & on other forums / sites explaining that there is no way that these systems can possibly work, but then you read something like this from Cruiser

My 1991 80 series has a sticker on it, its documented that it has been ERP. I live within a huge stone throw of the sea and the 80 is parked outside of a night time all the time. The gutters on my home are rusted to the point that they need replacing, my 10 year old pergola is made from steel which is powder coated and its rusted.

Yet my 1991 80 Series which has a sticker to prove it has been ERP, still has no rust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creek to Coast on TV here talk about Couplertec's version frequently & they always carry on about his (I think?) 80 series, which is 20+ years old, has spent it's whole life driving up & down beaches & so on, but doesn't have a skerrick of rust anywhere in it ???

Maybe it's just the 80 series & it's all down to Toyota doing something right (wrong?  :D) in the factory?

So what will this ruling mean for Couplertec, ERPS & the other versions that are out there? Are they all gone, or will they "prove" that their version is different & it's the only true religion, oooops, sorry, system that actually works?

Edit: just read Cruiser's other thread, so maybe it is all down to the 80 series after all - but no others?  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:28:55 AM by Fizzie »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
This is something that has always got me a bit confused. I've read lots of explanations, here & on other forums / sites explaining that there is no way that these systems can possibly work, but then you read something like this from Cruiser

Creek to Coast on TV here talk about Couplertec's version frequently & they always carry on about his (I think?) 80 series, which is 20+ years old, has spent it's whole life driving up & down beaches & so on, but doesn't have a skerrick of rust anywhere in it ???

Maybe it's just the 80 series & it's all down to Toyota doing something right (wrong?  :D) in the factory?

So what will this ruling mean for Couplertec, ERPS & the other versions that are out there? Are they all gone, or will they "prove" that their version is different & it's the only true religion, oooops, sorry, system that actually works?

Edit: just read Cruiser's other thread, so maybe it is all down to the 80 series after all - but no others?  :D

When they say it has no rust, do they mean no rust that they can see? Or has every inch of the car been checked, inside panels, outside panels, between skins, inside chassis rails and cross members?
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:06 AM »
Wel that's good news for me as I live in qld. I read the article and it seems only nsw and wa have a problem.  ;D
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »

So all l have to believe in as real is ,,,,,   Cold VB                          :cup: :cheers:

Sorry mate, but if you've been thinking all these years that VB is a real beer, you have been mislead..... ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
Sorry mate, but if you've been thinking all these years that VB is a real beer, you have been mislead..... ;D ;D

:cup:

:cheers: - with real beer!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
When they say it has no rust, do they mean no rust that they can see? Or has every inch of the car been checked, inside panels, outside panels, between skins, inside chassis rails and cross members?

Yeah, who would know?

Certainly the outside view you see on TV (in other words, what they want to show you!) looks good, & the reporter says it in great shape, but  ???

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »
Quote from: Symon
All I can say is -

I TOLD YOU SO
That is all.
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Quote from: gronk
If people want to believe stuff, then no amount of "advice" from others will make a difference..
BINGO! People ask a question - 50 people try and warn them, then 1 person says *MAYBE* and they thank that 1 person, and say IM DOING IT... why bother asking the question?? If you just want someone to say YES GREAT IDEA - then ask someone to say that.. don't waste peoples time!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
i have the erps  system on the 2002 hilux (was installed from new by original owner)(ex dpi vehicle in gympie area)
 was all good until about 3 years ago when it stopped working.
have now replaced the rusted out drivers side sill (but it was full of sand, was missing a bung from behind the sill )

do they work, no idea

:cheers:
Adam
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

KingBilly

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
BINGO! People ask a question - 50 people try and warn them, then 1 person says *MAYBE* and they thank that 1 person, and say IM DOING IT... why bother asking the question?? If you just want someone to say YES GREAT IDEA - then ask someone to say that.. don't waste peoples time!

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

KB

Offline GRANT ED

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
I'm surprised people thought these things work.  Debating the chemistry is probably over the heads of most people but there is one big clue that a lot of people miss. The car manufactures themselves spend millions of dollars trying to stop the cars they make from rusting and yet they don't use these electronic rust preventers. Maybe that's a big hint that they don't work.

KingBilly

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »
I'm surprised people thought these things work.  Debating the chemistry is probably over the heads of most people but there is one big clue that a lot of people miss. The car manufactures themselves spend millions of dollars trying to stop the cars they make from rusting and yet they don't use these electronic rust preventers. Maybe that's a big hint that they don't work.

Bingo  :cup:

KB

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
Pardon my cynicism but wouldn't that fly in the face of "Manufacturing Obsolescence"?
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
When my missus got her Hyundai 4 years ago through a notated lease, we discovered one of these fitted to the car.  Wasn't an option and certainly wasn't something we asked them to fit.  I think the leasing company just fitted them as par for the course.

Issue is we probably paid for it...!

I might go back to these clowns and tell em I want the money back...!  Don't like my chances though.   

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
Quote from: GRANT ED
The car manufactures themselves spend millions of dollars trying to stop the cars they make from rusting
they do???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »
they do???

No, they never have......
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
I'm also amazed anyone ever thought they worked.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
That coming for you & knowing where you live  ,l feel vindicated  .So l will stick the VeryBest Beer  :cup:        :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
If I'm not mistaken there was a case a number of years back,  in which one of our  local beach fisherman ended up with one very rusty 79 series  type new cruiser.
From memory  he got a new toyota out of the  nationaly known electronic rust protection mob ... Seems it pays to be a poster child for them to use you for promoting their product in magazines etc .. ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »
Yep, this man knows the truth! :angel: :cheers:
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
Pardon my cynicism but wouldn't that fly in the face of "Manufacturing Obsolescence"?
Steve

Not really, there is a minimum amount of time that the vehicle has to last.  If you take the case of fleet vehicles this is usually 3-5 years, so there has to be at least some effort to preventing rust.  Also consider warranty periods of 5 years are more common these days.

I'm also amazed anyone ever thought they worked.

Not just thought they worked, some even mocked and belittled those who tried to explain the error in their beliefs.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
That coming for you & knowing where you live  ,l feel vindicated  .So l will stick the VeryBest Beer  :cup:        :cheers:

Ha ha.....I can only feel sorry for you mexicans that drink that stuff....about the only thing good about it is it's slightly better than your other state beer.........Fosters !!! ;D ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »
At the risk of being declared a cynic, don't forget that this report is put out by the Government.
The same people who miss out on the taxes and duties for every car sold that replaces rusted out old cars. Why would they do that?
It's bit like a dentist saying "Use X brand toothpaste, it will save you from cavities". However, all it consists of is a mint smelling abrasive that wears your teeth out, so you have to go to the dentist (the same bastards that told you to use it) to get caps or false teeth. Bloody hypocrites.
Put electronic rust preventative systems on the car and never have rust again. This way all you need to do is replace the worn out parts, or in the case of Jeeps, every part, and the Government can't waste your money on brothels, interstate travel to Lesbian weddings and the like.
Next thing they will do is try and prove that Brockies early model Hyclones don't work.